New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What is your favorite book/books?

1. Elminster: the making of a mage. Even if you don't like Elminster, I'd still give this book a try. Hell, even if you don't like Ed Greenwood, still give it a try, it's not like his other books. Easily my favorite book - it has pretty much everything you want out of fantasy fiction.

2. The Last Mythal series. Overall, this is probably my favorite series of books. It has its' flaws, but I go back and read through them every couple of years. Richard Baker understands elves better than any other writer I've ever seen.

3. A Deepness in the Sky. The best sci-fi I've ever read. If you've read A Fire upon the Deep, you might appreciate this one even more, but I hadn't when I read it the first time and still thought it was amazing.

4. Non-player. A single comic-book, the first (and so far, only) issue. Simply amazing. The best artwork I have ever seen in book form. A good read as well.

5. Wake. A french series of comic-books. Futuristic/alien setting, great artwork, serious and yet funny/occasionally lighthearted. Doesn't shy away from heavy stuff. Highly imaginative and creative. They stopped converting them to english, though.

I also love Homeland by R.A.Salvatore, Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham, and Dissolution by Richard Lee Byers.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hmmm...I can't really narrow it down to just a few books - especially not just one - but here's a list in no particular order.

The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien - like a lot of other people here.
    A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula LeGuin
    A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle
    Eternity Road, by Jack McDevitt
    Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift
    Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - again, like a lot of people here.
    Small Gods, and Wyrd Sisters, by Terry Prathett
    A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
    The Golden Compass, by Phillip Pullman
    Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen, by Garth Nix
    Nine Princes in Amber, by Roger Zelazny
    Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream - these might not fit here because they're plays, but I'll list them anyway.
    The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams - again, it's a play, so it might not fit here.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sooo many, I could never pick even a top five, or ten.

However, since everyone seems to be mentioning Pratchett, I'll drop in that Night Watch is absolutely wonderful and probably my favourite of his, despite some stiff competition.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The Warlord Chronicles, by Bernard Cornwell, consisting of The Winter King, Enemy of God, and Excalibur. It's a fantastic historical take on the King Arthur myth (MUCH better than the ridiculous movies I've seen) and Cornwell is a master of characterization. Some characters won't look quite familiar (Lancelot's a real rotter), but each of them feels like a real person in their own way. It's also very different from the neo-Paganist interpretations that were made popular by The Mists of Avalon, depicting Arthur as an atheist whose concern is the here and now, and there are likable and unlikable characters on both sides of the Christian/Pagan conflict. A great and surprisingly quick read, it's gotten me interested in Cornwell's other, more historically grounded work.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

All time favorite: Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Very close seconds:
    Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny
    Silmarilion by Tolkien
    Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe (eerie, mysterious, melancholy, exciting, bizarre -- what's not to like ?)
    Anything by William Shakespeare

Poetry:
    Rudyard Kipling (Especially less celebrated ones like "Adam-Zad the Bear"
    Thomas Macaulay (Lays of Ancient Rome)

Lighter Reading:
    Various "Charlie Moon" mysteries by James D. Doss
    Occasional forays into Jim Butcher

Well, that's probably more than enough for one post ...
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark