New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: GM Advice: No Healer in the Party

Quote Originally Posted by Aran Thule View Post
    By the time they finish this chapter i would expect them to be 3rd level and they should be able to afford a wand of CLW.
    It can also just be dropped for 'em. If there's an upcoming fight with some humans, sneak a half-capacity wand into one of their pockets and you're good to go.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Jenya was the first NPC helper who came to mind. The Striders of Fharlanghn or Skie might give them some special deals too. Shensen too, once they reach the Lucky Monkey. Really, there are plenty of resources and plot hooks for you to get somebody with at least a minimal amount of healing ability (or at worst, one person who either has a one-level Cleric dip or high UMD so you can use wands).

I'd be a bit more concerned with lack of higher-level Cleric magic later on in the campaign though. IIRC, there are plenty of status-dealing enemies, and they might have trouble without access to appropriate defenses and counter-measures. There's also a large amount of interplay between the Temples (particularly St. Cuthbert and Wee Jas, though I've seen campaigns that focused more on Pelor as well). Total lack of Cleric might mean you miss out on a bunch of that.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could leave the healer in for a while then in the middle of an adventure where they really need him, have him die. That is always fun. (halfway IN to a dungeon relying on heals to clean up or get out).

Seriously it isn't necessarily your job, but if the players totally abandon all sensibilities (I've seen it happen), dropping in a rod of cure minor wounds at will, covers out of combat healing. You can scale the power of your healing items as appropriate, but as DM custom item making is your power, and doling them out as you see fit is basically what you do when you aren't "trying" to kill the PCs.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Actually having thought about this a bit more, I'd like to change my advice.

Take no action: this is a problem for the party to resolve. Now don't close any doors, but let them take the initiative.

This probably won't work if they are new BTW; and being kind at level 1 with a DMPC heal-bot is probably OK, which is what I assumed.

For the over-load problem either have the DMPC avoid combat and just provide out of combat healing, or let a player run them in combat (subject to your veto obviously).
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook