New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #852 - The Discussion Thread

If that was the end of Thog, I'd say it was a pretty satisfying end. The main thing I think going for "Thog is still alive" is the fact that both he and a dog were left in a vague fate in the exact location--seems like a perfect setup for something to happen...

EDIT: As for the Linear Guild as a whole, I get the feeling Tarquin's last stand will be halfway through the next book, and Nale will either be the climactic battle of the penultimate book or the "mid-boss" of Kraagor's Tomb (as he was in the Dungeon of Dorukan).
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2012-05-12 at 01:07 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the Last Stand of Tarquin as well as the LG will happen very soon. It'll all start as soon as Team Evil pops into the scene - which can be any second from now or a day in the future once this situation has been resolved; it's not going to take very long in all cases, their latest point to add themselves will be when the gate is found (no matter the state the Order-Tarquin-LG-situation will be in by then).
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

There's yet to be any major consequence of the Linear Guild being the IFCC's pawns or Sabine having to choose between them and Nale. IMO, it'd be very unsatisfying to end them now without resolving that subplot. Plus we have the author's word that "it's safe to say [the IFCC] will be here for the long run." Not sure how they can influence things without their pawns, even if V's debt does allow for possession.

I mean, I guess new pawns could be introduced, but why?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

It's definitely far too soon for TARQUIN'S last stand. He's had too much buildup to go down to Team Evil in the next thirty strips.

And I have a feeling that Nale and Tarquin will be resolved at approximately the same time.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Tarquin's fate depends on whether the autor wants to continue with adventures of OotS after their Gate-quest is over or not.

Let's assume Xykon is destroyed at Kraagor's Gate and the world is saved (I think this is quite possible outcome). Then should the adventures continue, Tarquin is an ideal antagonist to replace Xykon. His group and the empires they control are far too tough to handle in this arc, and too disturbing to be left behind. Therefore I assume Tarquin will not only survive this arc, but he will outlast Xykon as well.

Of course, if the comics ends for good after the big thing is over, then Tarquin could die in this arc. But unless Snarl unmades him, there will always be doubt about his fate. Even if Malack dies as well, there are these four high-level, competent, experienced and loyal teammates of his around, with the wealth of 2-3 powerful empires at their disposal. Tarquin is certainly savvy enough to have a scenario, in which one part of the team gets killed, fully covered.

So, I think Elan's father will be around for a long, long time. And Nale probably as well.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by RNGgod View Post
    I'm pretty sure by "impending death" he means "the next five weeks, in-comic time."

Yes, yes, that could be years from now, but his point stands.
    But if he wasn't implying that Belkar's death was going to occur at the climax of this arc, then what would it have to do with the theory that Thog was written out (for however long) so as not to impact the seriousness of the climax?

Anyway, when I say that I expect this is the end of the Linear Guild, I mean the Linear Guild as a recurring bunch of Evil Counterparts to the Order. I think it's quite possible that Nale and Sabine will manage to slip away again, but I don't think we'll be seeing a fifth incarnation of their team after the fight is over.

I'm absolutely sure, though, that the comic will not continue beyond the end of the Gates plot.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2012-05-12 at 05:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I think the Last Stand of Tarquin as well as the LG will happen very soon. It'll all start as soon as Team Evil pops into the scene - which can be any second from now or a day in the future once this situation has been resolved; it's not going to take very long in all cases, their latest point to add themselves will be when the gate is found (no matter the state the Order-Tarquin-LG-situation will be in by then).
    Z may use up most of his useful spells on the Order before Team Evil appears, at which point V will emerge with all of hir spells still memorized. It could turn out to be very advantageous that V involuntarily sat out round 1.

Do you expect Xykon will recognize V as the elf that attacked him? He seemed pretty upset that his kill was stolen.

I also wonder how Malack vs. Redcloak would go. Like other cleric battles we've seen, it would probably come down to saves, since they're probably not far apart in levels.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Do you expect Xykon will recognize V as the elf that attacked him? He seemed pretty upset that his kill was stolen.
    My current theory as to what will happen then is this: someone once pointed out in another thread here that the next time Xykon and his minions meet up with the Order of the Stick, Roy will charge at Xykon with his sword, and the following exchange will be something like this:

"I'm back from the dead, and I will finish you this time, Xykon!"
    "Who are you?"
    "Not this again..."
    "Wait. Who's that behind you?" *pushes Roy aside, sees Vaarsuvius*
    "...YOU!!!"

TL:DR Xykon doesn't recognise Roy as usual, but easily recognises and gets very angry at the elf.
    Last edited by Emperordaniel; 2012-05-12 at 05:42 PM.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

9. - Top - End - #369

The irony of that would surely be amusing.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    I also wonder how Malack vs. Redcloak would go. Like other cleric battles we've seen, it would probably come down to saves, since they're probably not far apart in levels.
    I'm not so sure about Malack being near Redcloak's level. If he were, I would have expected him to use something like Implosion or Destruction against Nale when they met on the rooftop, rather than Harm. Of course, using Harm/Quickened Inflict Moderate could have come down to a matter of personal taste; still, If I were wanting someone dead, and wanted them to *stay* dead, then I'd go with Destruction if I had it available to me.

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Second View Post
    I'm not so sure about Malack being near Redcloak's level. If he were, I would have expected him to use something like Implosion or Destruction against Nale when they met on the rooftop, rather than Harm. Of course, using Harm/Quickened Inflict Moderate could have come down to a matter of personal taste; still, If I were wanting someone dead, and wanted them to *stay* dead, then I'd go with Destruction if I had it available to me.
    Something about the way Malack handled Elan tells me he doesn't want Nale dead. Until he begs for it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm inclined to think that Malack isn't capable of ninth-level spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Burner28 View Post
    The irony of that would surely be amusing.
    I don't see that as particularly ironic - Xykon really doesn't have that much reason to remember Roy, from his perspective, but he's got a lot more incentive to remember the elf who very nearly destroyed his phylactery.

13. - Top - End - #373

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

I don't see that as particularly ironic - Xykon really doesn't have that much reason to remember Roy, from his perspective, but he's got a lot more incentive to remember the elf who very nearly destroyed his phylactery.
    Roy wants Xykon to remember him, but his whole life he shunned his father and became a responsible fighter. However, if he instead was like his father and became an egotistical wizard (like V), then Xykon would remember him. Irony.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

It's gonna kinda suck if/when belkar finally bites it as predicted ages ago by that seer.

Since his spiritual journey/curse thing, he's been easily one of the most fun and competent members of the order in every scene he's had any significant role in.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Thanks, missed that one. That's pretty clever of Roy.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    My current theory as to what will happen then is this: someone once pointed out in another thread here that the next time Xykon and his minions meet up with the Order of the Stick, Roy will charge at Xykon with his sword, and the following exchange will be something like this:

"I'm back from the dead, and I will finish you this time, Xykon!"
    "Who are you?"
    "Not this again..."
    "Wait. Who's that behind you?" *pushes Roy aside, sees Vaarsuvius*
    "...YOU!!!"

TL:DR Xykon doesn't recognise Roy as usual, but easily recognises and gets very angry at the elf.
    Another funny variation on this would be if Xykon ignored both of them and fixated on Blackwing. "It's that DAMN bird - do you know how hard it was to located my phylactery?!"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I think it would make perfect sense for Xykon to show up at the last possible second. Based on Tarquin's comment about the protagonists having to overcome all the challenges and the villains seizing it at the last minute.

Nale and Tarquin (but mostly Nale IMO) jumped the gun because they're B villains. Xykon showing up after they've found the Gate would really bring the point home that he's the main villain in this story.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Colossus in the Playground

Malack has, in fact, yet to demonstrate that he's capable of seventh-level spells.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Laroque View Post
    Nale and Tarquin (but mostly Nale IMO) jumped the gun because they're B villains. Xykon showing up after they've found the Gate would really bring the point home that he's the main villain in this story.
    I've had this idea myself, and I really like it (although I don't think it is mostly Nale; if anything, he seems to have a better idea of his role as a secondary antagonist then Tarquin does).

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Malack has, in fact, yet to demonstrate that he's capable of seventh-level spells.
    I get the feeling we haven't necessarily seen his full capabilities yet, given his apathy/annoyance towards this fight and the briefness of his earlier confrontations with Nale and not-nale. But you're right, he hasn't cast anything over sixth-level.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I've had this idea myself, and I really like it (although I don't think it is mostly Nale; if anything, he seems to have a better idea of his role as a secondary antagonist then Tarquin does).
    In that sense, I agree with you.
    It was poor wording on my part. I meant that I think it's more Nale's fault that they jumped the gun. Tarquin seems to be a better planner, and Nale definitely has a lot to prove.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

On topic but off tangent....
    I was just re-reading some of the earlier strips and I got a kick out of this:
    The heading to the current strip is Under the Helmet, which is in relation to the hood Tarquin is wearing under his helmet. Funny enough, in Just Like on Three's Company, Haley wants to know what Elan's 18 Charisma is worth "under the hood"...
    Ammusing, if likely unintentional, father/son symmetry. Made me laugh anyway. I wonder who is going to figure out what's under Tarquin's hood...
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    On topic but off tangent....
    I was just re-reading some of the earlier strips and I got a kick out of this:
    The heading to the current strip is Under the Helmet, which is in relation to the hood Tarquin is wearing under his helmet. Funny enough, in Just Like on Three's Company, Haley wants to know what Elan's 18 Charisma is worth "under the hood"...
    Ammusing, if likely unintentional, father/son symmetry. Made me laugh anyway. I wonder who is going to figure out what's under Tarquin's hood...
    Does it have to do with "invisibility" or "trouser titan"? I remember that Charisma can also count for endowment and beauty (plus tongue).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not Titan but invisibility... This was back at comic 28.
    I just found the similarity of phrasing humorous, especially in light of the fact that it was about father and son. That is all. Just thought others might get a chuckle too.
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-05-15 at 05:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Does it have to do with "invisibility" or "trouser titan"? I remember that Charisma can also count for endowment and beauty (plus tongue).
    Only if you're playing with extra rules from creepy third-party sourcebooks.

It's true that attractiveness can factor in to one's charisma score, but charisma is more about force of personality, leadership ability, or personal magnetism that it is about physical attractiveness. Someone with the personality of damp cardboard has low charisma, no matter how gorgeous they are. Conversely, someone can be hideously disfigured and still highly charismatic if they have a strong enough personality.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-05-15 at 06:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am new to the Order (although I have, of course, had reference to them made in my presence frequently over the last few years). I have read all the online comic now and generally enjoyed it.

Going back to a abandoned arguement for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    I kind of agree with the people upthread who feel that the Order's victories feel like author fiat. After reading the Giant's explanation of how Roy won in the arena against Thog, it actually took away from my enjoyment of the victory because Roy's player clearly played the DM, utilizing an inappropriate skill (intimidate) instead of the relevant skill (bluff).

That's not a deal breaker for me though. I definitely intend to keep reading (although outside of Belkar I don't really care for any of the Order, but their enemies are awesome, especially Tarquin, Malak and Redcloak).

First post.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sicari View Post
    I kind of agree with the people upthread who feel that the Order's victories feel like author fiat. After reading the Giant's explanation of how Roy won in the arena against Thog, it actually took away from my enjoyment of the victory because Roy's player clearly played the DM, utilizing an inappropriate skill (intimidate) instead of the relevant skill (bluff).
    Please tell me this is meant facetiously.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its meant facetiously.

*rolls bluff, gets a 2, *

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sicari View Post
    Its meant facetiously.

*rolls bluff, gets a 2, *
    I love it. Welcome to the boards, Jonathan.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Colossus in the Playground

Roy has no player.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Roy has no player.
    There's also no GM.