New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [PF] Horned devil

so i was dming my rogue player and she slaughtered a horned devil in two rounds single handedly. shes a fighter rogue of like 12th lvl. she uses two weapons. a keen +5 rapier and +5 short sword. did i mess up or something or is that normal
    GENERATION 19

2. - Top - End - #2

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [PF] Horned devil

Quote Originally Posted by arixe View Post
    so i was dming my rogue player and she slaughtered a horned devil in two rounds single handedly. shes a fighter rogue of like 12th lvl. she uses two weapons. a keen +5 rapier and +5 short sword. did i mess up or something or is that normal
    If she won initiative, it's entirely possible, though highly unlikely and unexpected. Can you remember what happened round-by-round?
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed.

PF, much like 3.5, is very much a game of rocket tag at high levels, and rogues are basically designed to tear several new ones into their foes one millisecond after getting them flatfooted. Also, she has very high-crit chance weapons, and even double damage is quite a bit of damage with decent strength: though perhaps not as much as all them sneak-attack die.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

4. - Top - End - #4

so she got the drop on him. she made a vital strike did decent damage and sneak attack of 5d6 rolled pretty high. next the devil missed every attack. then she used her invisibility ring. waited around and then full attack dealing a combined total 204 damage with all of her attacks. blowing him away. i dropped the ball on the round she was invisible he could had took off flying
    GENERATION 19

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

To start, you have a 12th level character (suggested wealth 108,000gp) with at least 142,000gp worth of items, and more than half of that spent on 1 item (which is suggested against), so they are going to be more powerful than expected.

What's the rogue's AC/attack bonus/damage, out of interest?

Did they have a good aligned/silver weapon? You don't mention it, but without it the devil couldn't have be killed (and indeed has some not ignorable DR for a two-weapon fighter), so it's worth checking.

Other than that, a two-weapon fighting rogue full-attacking an unaware opponent is never going to end well for that opponent.
    Spelt with a silent "Phwoar"

6. - Top - End - #6

well every one in my campaign has way too much loot. and it was really just me testing out a monster and her testing her limits.
    GENERATION 19

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Did they have a good aligned/silver weapon? You don't mention it, but without it the devil couldn't have be killed (and indeed has some not ignorable DR for a two-weapon fighter), so it's worth checking.
    +5 weapons bypass silver and alignment based DR.
    Last edited by BlueEyes; 2012-05-13 at 04:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
    +5 weapons bypass silver and alignment based DR.
    Huh, I had not spotted that addition.

This is why I was so cautious about switching to Pathfinder, damnit. Everything I thought I knew is a lie.

edit - on reflection, what? Why give a monster damage reduction if every character of its level is going to ignore it?
    Last edited by elpollo; 2012-05-13 at 05:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by elpollo View Post
    Huh, I had not spotted that addition.

This is why I was so cautious about switching to Pathfinder, damnit. Everything I thought I knew is a lie.

edit - on reflection, what? Why give a monster damage reduction if every character of its level is going to ignore it?
    Not every character will go all out and buy just a +5 weapon without the DM being very generous, or for some very good reason. That stuff is expensive!

And before you bring up Greater Magic Weapon, the spell only gives the weapon up to Magical status. So no magicing a +1 weapon to a +5 weapon to get through DR other than X/Magic.

Concerning the OP's question:

You admit to being generous will items, so expect any item reliant character (like Rogue) to get more powerful. But if everyone is having fun, then I see no problems with the rogue fullfilling her damage quota. Maybe make the encounters a bit rougher if you think the players are just walking through them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If nothing else, it explains why the locals need to bring in a hero instead of rushing it with the local militia and hail of arrows.

It also throws a bone to mundanes at mid-levels, since they'll have the means to bypass DR while most animal companions and summons won't.

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

also, since its a ring of invisibility, she should have become visible after the first attack, and shouldn't have been able to full attack while invisible... unless it was a ring of greater invisibility or somesuch?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    And before you bring up Greater Magic Weapon, the spell only gives the weapon up to Magical status. So no magicing a +1 weapon to a +5 weapon to get through DR other than X/Magic.
    In which case I withdraw my objection.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yep, invisible Rogue, he should have taken off flying, called for reinforcements, and nailed her when she became visable. Ranged plinking if she can't figght back, and run away if she somehow got a ranged weapon that bypassed his DR.

She is above WBL, and I'm not surprised a lv 12 character managed to drop a horned devil in that circumstance.

The combat was very much in her favor here. The other devils are all laughing at him back in Baator.

14. - Top - End - #14

i cant find where it says a +5 bypasses those damage reductions.
    GENERATION 19

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Try Damage Reduction on the PFRD.

16. - Top - End - #16

oh well thanks very much i always have trouble finding all the new rules in pathfinder
    GENERATION 19