New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Waterdeep [Sandbox 3.5] IC

Ort notices that the guard is wearing padded leather armor with a wooden practice sword used to keep prisoners in line. The sword is dirty and covered with sweat and dried blood. He, like most guards here, wears the faded red padded armor with old leather pants. His armor has food stains on it. An old iron key dangles from a small chain looped around his belt.

The party watches in silence as Edward carefully undoes the guards belt, but as he tries to pull it out from the pants it catches and does not come sliding out. Edward drops the belt, still attached to the pants, and the pants come tumbling down to the floor exposing the guards genitals. At the same time you hear yelling from down the hall as the other guard shouts, "Who $€!# in my stew?" and you hear the clatter and screams of a wooden bowl being thrown into a nearby cell.

Your attention returns to your enraged guard who is grasping to both pull up his pants and grab his wooden sword. You see the key lying on the stone floor within grasp of Lilelle. The key must have gotten dislodged from the belt and skid across the stone floor.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

While the guard is yelling and distracted, Trent subtly uses his mind to float the key into Lilelle's cell, while pretending not to notice the ruckus that is happening near him.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Mage Hand to lift the key into Lilelle's cell, not dragging so it doesn't make a noise. Hoping the noise from the guard is enough to cover any sounds I make.
    bluff to conceal the action (1d20+3)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lil' Edward

Edward turns arround to check if Ort was looking. "Classic" Edward smirks.
    "Who sais this cells doesn't have windows? I bet that lady is watching a full moon right now."

Right in time a guard voice can be heard complaining about something in his food. Edward can't stop laughting at this point.
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-05-16 at 07:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

"Ort, I do have to say; I like this friend of yours. He has style."
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Statblock + Sheet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Timmaeus

Str: 8 (-1), Dex: 12 (+1), Con: 10 (+0), Int: 13 (+1), Wis: 15 (+2), Cha: 14 (+2)
    AC: 11, HP: 8/8, Fort: +2, Ref: +1, Will: +4
    Listen: +3, Spot: +3

Timmaeus's face twists into a sneer as the guard's trousers drop.

"I always knew you were tring to compensate for something, waving that sword in my face whenever you could, but I never realized that you were quite so ... lacking. Shamed by a halfling? He may be half your height, but he's still twice the man you'll ever be! Don't worry about covering up, there's nothing to conceal. Why don't you run back to cry to your mother, and get her to come down here and sort out the big nasty halfling? She could hardly do a worse job of it than you are!"

Timmaeus jeers at the guard, gesturing mockingly at the man's crotch.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The key makes it way safely into Lilelle's cell and falls upon the soft straw almost vanishing from view.

You doubt the guard noticed since he is entranced with his pants and humiliation. He turns red with rage as Timmaeus taunts strike deep. The guard pulls his pants up and crudely buckles them before drawing his wooden sword. "There will be hell to pay!" He shouts in a defiant tone. The other guard comes rushing toward the group with his sword drawn.

[OOC: End of first round; it is the party's turm]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-05-16 at 10:33 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

With reflexes rarely seen in someone of his size, Ort reaches through the bars of the cell as the guard is still pulling up his pants, grabs him by the collar of his shirt and pulls his face within an inch of the bars on the other side of which now stands a glowering orc. With the deepest, most menacing tone he can manage Ort attempts to ... reason, with the guard.

"If you or any of your buddies open this cell then you're right, there will be hell to pay. Last I checked we out number you almost two to one. Right now, your pride is the only thing broken. You come in here with me and I will make sure you leave with more. Now I suggest you clothe yourself properly from now on and keep out of reach of the prisoners. Understand?

With his statement complete, Ort releases the guard as quickly as he had grabbed him. Then, while motioning for his friends to stay behind him, he backs to the far side of the cell.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[13] melee touch attack
    (1d20+7)[16] grapple check
    Last edited by fungusamnguss32; 2012-05-16 at 11:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Str10, Dex15, Con14, Int12, Wis13, Cha8

AC12, HP19

Spot +3, Listen +3, Search +2, Hide +4, Move Silently +4, Bowmaking +5

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard nods at Ort's request and a sense of reality comes over him. He backs away as the other guard nears. There is a quick mumbling exchange between the two guards and they turn and start down the hallway in the other direction away from the party. You hear mumbling about how it would be not worth it and let sleeping hobgoblins lie. Soon they are seated in a few chairs far down the hallway.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

[Note: everyone receives 100 xp for ending the encounter]

10. - Top - End - #40

Once the guard is out of ear shot Jeffrey turns to the rest of the group "Well done my friends! And bless The Rogue! That was the easy part, lets get some rest and walk out during nightfall, should only be a handfull of guards, and most likley arent too on the ball at that time either."

Jeff sits himself back down into a corner and makes himself comfortable "You best keep that key safe girlie." He says to the elven woman sitting the cell next door.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the guard leaves, Ort composes himself and retakes his former seat against the wall.

"ya know,it seems we all make a pretty good team. Well done all the way around really.

Here Ort mildly chuckles to himself as he recalls a guard nearly wetting himself and yet another complaining about a ****ty meal. ;-)

Spoiler
    Show

AC12, HP19

12. - Top - End - #42

Lil' Edward

"And there you were saying you had changed... " sais Edward to Ort smiling at the half-orc attitude.

Edward is happy that the event ended without blood, he never misses a good brawl, but in prison that usually means afterward higher security and less food.
    He looks again to all his inmates and analizes their reactions, when his eyes stop in the half-elf he remember something he said to the guard.

Edward stands up and moves near the half-elf and whispers in elven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey buddy, listen, I know you were making fun of the guard and all and it was hilarious! but... don't ever call me halfling again, or you will be known as the half-half-elf if you know what I mean."
    even someone who could not understand them could say the tone was menacing. Edward could never stand people making fun of his height, but those who actually confounded him with a halfling were the worst.

Moving back to his original point he asks Ort "So, you came here with meditation guy there, and he speaks to you like if you knew each other..." Edward looks at the human while speaking to make him part of the conversation.

13. - Top - End - #43

PirateGuy

Trent throws a sly wink at Ort, pretending he had played no part in the encounter with the guards.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about, but if you'd like to get together for a drink when we get out of here, you seem like a nice group to share a laugh with.
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-05-17 at 10:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

14. - Top - End - #44

Jadzik

"The names Jadzik, and yes we know each other. We both shared a cell in River's Fork. He suffers from the same maladaptive anger disorder that I do, and I've been helping him with it.

I once studied with the monk's at a monistary not far from that city. While I never reached any degree of enlightenment, I did learn a thing or two while I was an initiate. The meditative techniques I mastered and taught Ort provide a buffer to our emotional triggers and allow for a degree of cognitive restructuring. I have to say, he's doing quite well with it."
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yeah Ed, I know Jadzik. I guess he is better at saying how though. He has been very helpful to me these post few months. I've learned better ways to focus my anger into my enemies instead of just raging all over the place. And don't let meditation boy fool you, he's pretty tough when it gets down to it. He can certainly hold his own in a fight. By the way, have you seen my mother recently? The way I left her. I would really like to go see how she is doing once I get outta here.

Spoiler
    Show

AC12, HP19

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella, who had been restlessly playing with the boot heel, slides closer to the group, picking up the key and tucking it in her pocket 'till the right time comes.

Still fidgeting with the boot heel, she seems to realize something.Hey, are you "the" Lil'Edward?Lilella laughs.I thought you looked familiar! Everyone always tells stories around town about the little short tempered theif. They say your temper is short as you are! She blinked. But they also say your not half bad. Perhaps I could learn a thing or two from you?

Her eyes scan the group. By the way, my name is Lilella, perhaps you can introduce yourselves? With a bried shy look at Trent, her eyes return to Lil'Edward And could you guys help me keep an eye on our guards? Surely they may drift off at some point in the night, we'll need to take advantage of their drowsyness.
    Last edited by AngelEyes23; 2012-05-19 at 11:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    F - Elf Rogue, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
    Short Bow (20 Arrows) (1d6, x3)
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Decorated Cutlass (1d6, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

17. - Top - End - #47

Lil' Edward

Edward's face darkens as he hears Ort asking about his mother. He doesn't know... oh sh-t. He frozens for a second, not sure how to go next, when the lady from the other cell speaks.

Edward sees it as a valid escape route. He fakes a big smile and turn to her. "How many incredibly talented, charismatic and handsome men you know by the name of Edward? I see my fame grows bigger everytime I meet a fan."
    "I won't care about the night guards, they are usually too busy getting drunk to care what happens here. And as for the tricks, sure, I could teach you a couple..." Edward winks and smoochs his lips.
    Hoping his comment would draw the attention elsewhere from Ort's mother, Edward yawns loudly and adds "I think it's time for some rest." He then takes the straw blanket he was sitting on, retires to a corner and lays down.

I can't tell him, not yet, not here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff roll, use it if it is necessary to change subjects and go to sleep. (1d20+2)[7] although I think I don't need to roll.
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-05-19 at 09:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Father's blessings for the assistance, cousin." Timmaus says, bowing shallowly to Ort. "I feared I would have to take another beating, and was not looking forward to it.

He turns to Edward, and bows once more.

"And my apologies to you, cousin, I did not intent to offend you. I was only using your stature against the guard, and meant nothing against you."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[15] (Knowledge(Local) check) Going to say this means he knows 2 gangs, their area of operations, and their heads.

"If we intend to escape, we should probably go through the sewers. Snakrab runs them in this area, and he is known to willingly help out others in exchange for favours. I doubt we'll need to leave the city, the guards find more important things to do and stop looking for escaped prisoners after a week or two, but if we need to leave the city, Valthellis and her Wharfrats own the docks. She's dangerous to deal with though, so I'd rather avoid her if we can."
    Last edited by Oceanogler; 2012-05-19 at 11:59 AM. Reason: To post stuff after roll was seen

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well since it seems I know a few folks here I can introduce us. And as you have our key, its probably important we get to know each other. My name is Ort. This feisty short stack here is my old friend Edward. There human there, his name is Jadzik. He ismy friend and mentor. A for the other two well, we just met too."

Spoiler
    Show

AC12, HP19

20. - Top - End - #50

"Dont worry about finding a gang too much, any gang that knows whats good for them wouldnt turn away a priest of The Rogue, not worth the bad luck it could bring. Get some shut-eye, help get out of here and ill make sure we are looked after"
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella tucks the boot heel in the little bit of space left in her pocket, making sure to make the key accessible. She then snuggles down in the straw the best she can, and turns to watch the guards from the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few hours Lilella can see the guards start to setting down and play cards while one brings out a jar of what you think must be homemade moonshine. After another hour they seem to have nodded off for the night. Whispers between cells start, you hear several voices calling out asking Lil' Edward to get them food or some of the moonshine, and others asking him to let them out.

23. - Top - End - #53

So, how do we get out of here without setting off the other inmates jealousy. All we need is for them to start yelling as we make for the sewers. I doubt a mass breakout will work for us either. Does anyone know what these guys are in for anyhow?
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowledge local (DC 10)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This jail (where you are) is for petty criminals and those awaiting trial for crimes and theft. The violent criminals and those who the authorities are fearful of their intentions are jailed in one of the cities southern islands in the bay. The island is isolated with only access from a boat. It is illegal to enter that jail without a express permission from one of the lords. It is also said to have areas of deaf magic where spells and items cannot function. In theses areas that hold the worst of the prisoners. You are thankful you are not being held in that prison.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Jadzik (update: or Spot DC 15)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge gained during your meditation reflection that is relevant to the current discussion. On your way into the jail you noticed a grate that must lead into the sewers. The grate is in a long passageway a little ways from here. You think you heard water dripping from above so it must have been used as overflow from a fountain or street grate above. You did not see a passage way above so the overflow piping must be small but the grate is large enough for a typical sized person to slip through.

The guard quarters are located farther down the corridor before the holding the small processing cells. They are usually filled with several guards.

Additionally, this is only one of many hallways of cells. It is uncertain if there are multiple keys for different wings of the jail.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-05-21 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added more information for Jadzik

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella crawls over to the bars between her cell and the rest of the group with a mischievous smile. I disagree with you, friend. She whispers. I think that a nice distraction would work perfectly. So, here's what I think we should do... Her smile grows wider. We unlock all of the cells, cautioning the other prisoners to wait for the signal. We tell them we have to rush because not all of us will make it. This will cause them to stampede at the signal. We tell them the way out, though it isnt really the way out. We tell them the way to the guards quarters. Her eyes dance with excitement while she grins wickedly. In the meanwhile, we hold back, which won't be hard since we're in the last cells of the block. We then head for the nearest entrance to the sewers, while the others cause an uproar in the guards quaters.

She looks at the group. All we need to know is the way to the guards quarters, and the way to the nearest place we can get into the sewers. Her eyes move to Ort. I imagine that the sewer theives are pretty well informed, they may have some information for you, Ort, about your mother. She leans into the corner and sighs happily. This is the change I've been waiting for... a cause, I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Having been sitting quietly in his corner, Ort rouses somewhat at the thought of escaping and being able to find his mother. As he listens to the sounds of the other inmates around and the discussions of plans nearby, he contemplates possible outcomes. As, the female remarks on her thoughts, a plan is visioned in Ort's mind.

"The girl has a point. The best way for us to avoid add many guards as possible is to have them all occupied. Besides, my big clumsy self can't really sneak anywhere. There may be a problem though if anyone follows us or if one of the guards catches us. Plus we still need to find out exactly where or point of exit will be."

Spoiler
    Show

AC12, HP19

28. - Top - End - #58

Actually that is a pretty good plan. I would change one detail. Instead of sending them to the guard room, lets show them the way out. With luck a few may get away. Instead of the guards looking inside for strays, they will have to give chase. Additionaly, this, way none will bear us ill will for sending them to a trap. Jadzik begins sketching a crude map by scraping the layer of filth on the floor. We can led them out this way, and once its clear use the grate right here to access the sewers. It looked easy enough to pop up.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

29. - Top - End - #59

PirateGuy

"Sounds like a fine plan. It lacks flair, but when your options are limited, you make do with what you have."

He throws a wink at his self-proclaimed, unstealthy companion.

"Don't worry too much. I have something up my sleeve if the guards get too close.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few more moments of discussion Lilella opens her cell door and then unlocks the cell door where the rest of the party is located. Everyone quietly starts to whisper to the other cells about the plan. The other prisoners grin with excitement and start to run almost immediately after being released from their cells. By the time you let the last cell out the hallway is vacant. You can hear commotion down the long hallways as you realize the prisoners did not heed your advice and have gone in all directions trying to find their own way out. What has seemed like a good well thought out plan has turned into chaos as their instincts of self preservation, untrustworthiness, and revenge have taken over.

Lilella realizes that she no longer has the key as the group starts to make its way towards the sewer entrance. She is uncertain if she dropped it or if it was stolen. However, it is likely that it was stolen during the escape by one of the prisoners.

It does not take long to reach the iron grate leading to the sewers. Ort is able to rip the grate free from its holding. The rusted metal crumbles at the hinges allowing the gate to be completely removed. The tunnel below is dark and a fowl smells wafts from below.

You gently try to fall into the large pipe (jump/climb DC 10 for no dmg/1 dmg if unsuccessful). The floor is slippery with mold and grime. You make your way down the sloping tunnel towards what you hope is the sewers. The smell intensifies as you get closer.

The tunnel ends at an outlet where the tunnel pours into a large basin of sewage water and overflow from fountains. The stench is almost toxic. You carefully swing from the tunnel ledge onto a stone walkway to avoid falling into the watery pit (jump/climb DC 10 to avoid failing into the water).

As you regroup on the stone walkway in the sewer tunnels you see a shadow coming from an adjacent walkway that leads into this room. There is little time to hide (unless you jump into the water) before a large menacing figure comes from that passageway. A huge bugbear comes into the dimly lit room. He snarls before speaking in a gruff tone, "Who you be? You be in Snakrab domain and you must pay the fee for safe crossing. The fee be one silver each for safe crossing."

As your eyes adjust to the dim light you can see the bugbear has a drawn sword with notches in it that cause tearing in the flesh as it is removed. He is wearing leather armor that is stained with grime and dried blood.

Sense motive: DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks intimidating but has not taken up a fighting stance. He reminds you more of a bouncer at a pub, ready to fight but hoping to avoid physical confrontation if at all possible.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-05-23 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Remove *s