New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Waterdeep [Sandbox 3.5] IC

As you stand in the foyer you quickly realize that you are in the way when someone yells at you to grab the bandages that are boiling under the hearth. One of your party members grabs the bucket of boiling rags and brings it to the head healer. You can see the shape of a man under the cloth with large leathery wings coming around out of the blood soaked sheet. The healers are applying the boiled rags to a deep wound that oozes with a dark shinny black liquid which causes the wet rags to smolder. The smell of burning flesh fills your nostrils as you look upon this scene.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Reyes doesn't know what is going on here and so simply asks, "I am Karuth Reyes Ridenhour, instruct me and I will offer what help Death's Guardian permits me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Karuth is a priestly title for Wee Jas
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show

knowlege arcana - to determine what race the man is
    (1d20+4)[6]

haha, i make the worst knowledge rolls allll the time. maybe i should drop a feat on those.

Trent is made curious by the process of healing, and the nature of the man being worked upon. He observes both carefully.
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-11-27 at 11:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good another healer, we will worry about formality later. Help where it is needed." Reyes quickly lends his aid to the humanoid creature but does not seem to help much. True is that it is obvious that that the wound is not healing despite magical intervention. Furthermore the black liquid seems to be forming when it is contacted with the blood of the humanoid but he does not seem to be dying of blood loss.

Trent has no idea what this creature is by looking at it. Perhaps if he had more time and a few books he might be able to make an educated guess.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-11-27 at 03:26 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow... it's crazy in here. People are running everywhere trying to save this guy... oh wait... what's that! Is this a healing potion of some kind? Smells looks to see if anyone is paying him any attention. Little guy like me... who's looking here? He asks himself rhetorically. I suppose they won't miss this. They don't seem to work well anyways.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (to see anything of value) (1d20-1)[15]
    Spot (to see if anyone is looking at him) (1d20-1)[12]
    Sleight of Hand (steal something if it looks the coast is clear) (1d20+8)[9]
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Smell's Funny takes a potion from the wall where the healers are tying to save the humanoid. He thinks that he has gotten away with it but he can now see that Reyes is eying him.

[Reyes]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see Smell's Funny grab the potion and put it into his pocket

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

Reyes holds his hand out for Smells to bring over the potion, "An excellent choice comrade but I think they have tried healing potions already."

To his fellow priests he adds, "What is the nature of this injury? Why isn't our healing working? Is the wound poisoned?" he is willing to cast Detect Poison but if someone has already done so it would be a waste of the Goddess' precious gifts.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758

Smells gives an oversized grin. "Just try'n to help" then hands the potion over to Reyes. Trying to help myself that is. He then looks around a bit bored. Is there at least a place to sit around here. Once he finds an out of the way location, he parks himself and waits patiently.... for about 30 seconds.

"So, just about how long you all think this is gonna take?" he asks the priests shamelessly.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

"Till we save him or he dies," Reyes blurts out impatiently and then regrets it. I don't want to encourage Smells to stick a blade in the patient he thinks to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the potion bottle labelled?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760

Then someone should stick a blade in him... poor guy has had enough. Why make him suffer. He thinks to himself. Bored and sitting in the corner, he unsheaths his two cutlasses "Hmm... maybe I should get someone to etch a naval scene on the second one. Make the two look like a ship to ship fight when they're next two each other... that would be neat."
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-11-29 at 09:12 AM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Reyes realizes that the clerics are doing all they can to help this wounded man and his spell would likely not make any difference. This is what seems to be the most concerning aspect of the whole ordeal. As he examines the flask, he is not sure what the potion is, with just a quick glance, but it is likely a healing variety, likely a low dose.

Finally, after much time has passed and the goblin is just about asleep with boredom. All the members of the temple crowd into the common room where the head priestess speaks with authority, "Our Friend is stable, but will last long. As many of you now know, the wound is poisoned by a blade of dark magic not from this world. From what we can gather, our friend was sent from another plane, likely from that of The Ruby Sorceress to give us a message. It is our belief that another creature, likely a demon has intercepted him, maybe this was the message he was going to give us, and wounded him. It is my belief that a powerful Wizard or Priest has opened a gate to another world and this chaotic creature has entered our realm with the purpose of destroying the order we protect. We need to find this blade and destroy it to remove this curse..." Her voice trails off as she speaks uncertain the best course of action from here.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

"My new friends and I came here seeking a holy mission and a purpose in this city. They may not be as pious as I am but they are reliable and steadfast," I hope, "We would seek out this creature of disorder and bring it to justice if it is within our power. If we can find this blade we will recover it and if the demonologist be found we will certainly put an end to his plans." Reyes has no idea how to go about doing any of this but the church will direct him, he is sure.

Once he gets the opportunity to speak to his companions away from the other priests he tells them why this will be profitable for them, "Wizards have treasure, stuff to use to bargain with demons, magic weapons and items that can be used or sold, servants with valuable equipment. Even if the church doesn't sponsor us a tidy profit can be made from this and we'll be doing the right thing too in stopping this wizard from summoning more demons.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

The priestess gives a grim forced smile at Reyes who steps forward, "Thank you for your devotion. We need help to find this vile creature and save our goddess's faithful follower. The blade is key for only with its destruction can the curse be lifted. Be wary when you find the blade. It is likely cursed and do not let it touch your skin. Take this cloth to guard your hands when you pick it up." She hands you a large section of heavy canves with silver silk carefully stitched on one side.

14. - Top - End - #764

PirateGuy

It looks like we have our mission. Is there any direction you can give on where we should start looking? Help of the magical nature would be appreciated too, as the culprit may be quite powerful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

15. - Top - End - #765

Potions, scrolls, wands, and anything else you can spare could help a long way. Maybe one of those fancy backpacks that are bigger on the inside? Please?. He begs pathetically; always trying to get something for free.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

"Where was the messenger attacked or found? We need to start our investigation somewhere and the place he was attacked seems as good a place as any." He has no investigative skills and hopes that the others might be able to provide the necessary skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

The priestess ignores the requests for magical things, "The traveler was found in the nearby graveyard to the west on the main trail by one of the monks who carried him back. I would start there and then start asking around. Someone somewhere must know something. Reyes, you can keep that potion. It can heal normal wounds by directly applying it. I would not recommend direct confrontation but rather try to steal the weapon carefully. "

OOC: Healing salve 1d8 per dose. 4 doses.

18. - Top - End - #768

PirateGuy

Well if no one has anything else to procure, i suggest setting out immediately to prevent the trail from becoming any colder.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Reyes asks about buying some armour and a shield in the proper style of the church. If they don't have anything suitable a simple surcoat to go over the armour should be fine but he'll need to stop at an armourers.

"Can either of you track?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I've updated my character sheet with a chain shirt and heavy steel shield and deducted the PH price. Looking over my character sheet I've noticed that I seem to have neglected to roll hit points for level 2 so (1d8+1)[2]

EDIT: I'll try to avoid combat then.

Reyes Ridenhour
    Male Human Cleric, Level 2, Init +0, HP 11/11, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Light mace 3 (1d6+2, x3)
    Sling (20) +1 (1d4, x2)
    Chain shirt, Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 12
    Condition None
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-12-02 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770

Seeing the worth on keeping a healer alive, Smells offers up Liella's purse of 540s + 90c to help pay.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

The four of you head out to a nearby armorer who does good work for the temple and Reyes gets fitted for armor. It takes most of the remaining morning and into the afternoon but it seems worth it to be well equipped. There are other stores near by that one might be able to purchase other goods as well while you wait. (OOC: good time to spend your money).

You spend a few coppers each to get some food at street venders and then head down to the graveyard where it was suggested by the priestess. The trail is old and the graves here are mostly ill kept and show signs of aging. Some of the graves are unreadable as the carvings in the stone have eroded away as time has passed. You find the spot where the skirmish has taken place.

SPOT DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that a tree near by has a long deep cut into it. It is like the tree suffered a wound from the same blade as the traveler. The tree has now died and its blackened leaves cover the ground.

Search DC20
    Spoiler
    Show
    searching through the black leaves on the ground you notice something interesting. You find half of a sword. The sword has been cleaved in half and where the sword connected with the unknown object is dark and has rusted the sword. Only the bottom half of the sword remains and you can find small particles of rust and dust around the area that might be the other half of the sword.

Knowledge arcane DC20
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is your guess that the sword was magical but any lasting properties have been destroyed with the sword.

The remaining part of the sword can be used as a weapon -2 to hit and 1d4 damage.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This is where I wish I had more than 1 skill point per level

Search (1d20-1)[7]
    Spot (1d20+2)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773

Spoiler
    Show
    A -1 mod doesn't help

Search (1d20-1)[4]
    Spot (1d20-1)[3]

I suppose I should have just taken 20
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-12-02 at 05:35 PM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe we should hire a tracker. Are we even in the right graveyard?"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #775

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    taking 20 to search for a 23.
    Spot
    (1d20+6)[8]

Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

26. - Top - End - #776

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge arcane
    (1d20+4)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

27. - Top - End - #777

With the discovery of the busted blade, Smells starts to take things a little more serious and looks around more. After a while he notices the unusally dead tree that was right in front of him. I think we in right area. Look... Tree died just like the chump* at the temple is.
    *uses a goblin equivelant word

Spoiler
    Show
    Try again, taking 20 on Spot for a 19.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Reyes prays over the broken sword and dead tree for a moment beseeching the goddess to aid his sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Evil and see if it reveals any taint.

(1d20+15)[19] taking 10 against DC11

I don't need to roll but I want to get into the habit of doing it or I'll forget.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779

PirateGuy

I found a sword that may have belonged to the messenger, though it's beyond useless now. Whomever attacked him must have been strong to cut through this blade, or using powerful magics.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Reyes notices that where the blade is corroded it is radiating with a faint amount of evil. Furthermore, when he glances up into the sky he notices that something radiating evil has gone into one of the near by trees. However, he could not see what it was only the aura that surrounded it for a moment. Whatever it was is now gone and part of him thinks that it was just his imagination but another part feel a deep sense of dread.