New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the Grace of the Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Yes he is, but he will be savoring it and letting it diffuse into his system at a better rate than wormwood is
    I wonder:

Spoiler
    Show

Does Delta-Rho have such things as taste buds? Or ... a mouth? Or does his sensation of taste come from chemical analyzers, and is his drink injected into a receptacle, to be consumed in a manner resembling an IV feed?

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    I wonder:

Spoiler
    Show

Does Delta-Rho have such things as taste buds? Or ... a mouth? Or does his sensation of taste come from chemical analyzers, and is his drink injected into a receptacle, to be consumed in a manner resembling an IV feed?
    Given he ate (and complained about having to do so) in the dinner hall on the station yes there is a mouth in there somewhere under the respirator (for the moment)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Wormwood shoots down the shot like a champ. Or, at least, that's what his silly psyker-powered, alcohol-addled mind tells him.

He does notice Maldanis sit down through the haze. His usual panic manifests - and dies, thanks to this wonderful engine degreaser that those now-wonderful techpriests invented. Praise be to the Emprah.

"We infiltrated a ship and found something," he says, gesturing at Rho to do his thing and explain the technical information about deGrassi's travel business that Wormwood may have glanced at for all of two seconds. "Straight from the datacore on deGrassi's private yacht." He did remember some bits, though. He still had an hour to go before this stuff really went to his head.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Maldanis, sipping wine and reading from a pile of dataslates, is joined by the blind man and his servant.

When Wormwood approaches, Maldanis listens attentively, but indicates to all of you that debriefing can wait until morning, if you like.

It seems most everyone on the ship is in the bar, relaxing and having a bit of fun. However, a few serious faces are seen: Maldanis, the blind man, and of course the Butlery Guy, whose face is always serious.

5. - Top - End - #455

Nixios will steer Wormwood away

+++Sorry to disturb you - we are i am conducting Alcohol Stress testing on the Pysker+++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

6. - Top - End - #456

Daemon

The increasingly intoxicated psyker stares intently at the unblinking optics of the techpriest.

"Does that mean more drinking?"

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Meanwhile, the bar is filling up. The crew is fairly small for a ship this size - however, they are clearly a very mixed lot. You see men in women in various forms of work clothing, officers in Imperial uniform, guild colors from various crafts, and so on. You spot an elderly blind man attended by a servant, and a particularly swaggering youth with tatoos and cross-hung gunbelts. Finally, Maldanis himself joins the party. He nods at you, and takes a seat at a table near the astrolabe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... uh. Dare I ask how physics allows for this?

Stig nods at the implied "someone had the power and used it. It isn't healthy to ask too many questions" and nodding his thanks to the buttler, raises himself up and moves over to join Maldanis. While passing Rho he comments,

"Five thrones says he last a half hour."

Upon approaching Maldanis, he queries,
    "Mind if I join you sir?"
    Last edited by Knives91; 2012-08-22 at 04:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458

Daemon

"Stig! Why are you not drinking? For the glory of the Emprah, and all."

Wormwood has still not caught on to the fact that he isn't stuttering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be safe, it wasn't an accident. Aqua Vitae is awesome.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Astro_sol View Post
    "Stig! Why are you not drinking? For the glory of the Emprah, and all."

Wormwood has still not caught on to the fact that he isn't stuttering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to be safe, it wasn't an accident. Aqua Vitae is awesome.
    Stig grins as only a manic Guardsman can.

"I am my friend! But my area of expertise is in slow steady consumption. I work best when I can lure them in, catch them unawares and then strike like the fist of the Emprah!"

Spoiler
    Show
    And no. He is not talking about women.

10. - Top - End - #460

"Does that mean more drinking?"
    +++In Measure amounts - Yes+++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #461

Daemon

"Well I'm calling Exterminatus on this drink. Round 3."

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Maldanis smiles, indicates a seat.

'Stig, am I not right? Please.' He turns to his companion, and says: 'Stig here has served previously as a guardsman, a regiment from notorious Dusk.'

Turning once more to you, he introduces the companion: 'Stig, this gentleman is Vespeth Shah, a psyker like your friend Wormwood, but of different ... talents. Very specific and usefull ones, Vespeth is is a highly treasure asset, and our only way of obtaining news and information not months out of date.'

You clearly feel the blind mans gaze settle on you - a rather discomfiting sensation. He speaks in a very calm and polite, but very dry and monotonous voice:

'Good evening, Master Stig. I see upon you the scars of war. But you have the strength of many, do you not? You have one of the Emperors finer gifts bestowed you - true dedication.'

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Maldanis smiles, indicates a seat.

'Stig, am I not right? Please.' He turns to his companion, and says: 'Stig here has served previously as a guardsman, a regiment from notorious Dusk.'

Turning once more to you, he introduces the companion: 'Stig, this gentleman is Vespeth Shah, a psyker like your friend Wormwood, but of different ... talents. Very specific and usefull ones, Vespeth is is a highly treasure asset, and our only way of obtaining news and information not months out of date.'

You clearly feel the blind mans gaze settle on you - a rather discomfiting sensation. He speaks in a very calm and polite, but very dry and monotonous voice:

'Good evening, Master Stig. I see upon you the scars of war. But you have the strength of many, do you not? You have one of the Emperors finer gifts bestowed you - true dedication.'
    Stig, though slightly unsettled, decides to take the compliment at face value.

"Thank you sir. I do merely what the Emperor asks of any man. Duty ends only in death after all."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

So .... one drunken binge later, morning finds you mostly intact, with the notable exception of Wormwood, who feels like he's been passed backwards through the gearbox of an org Gargant.

Odds and ends:

Delta-Rho:

Spoiler
    Show

Your readings of Wormwood are interesting. His intoxication is consistent with bodymass, and as such unremarkable. However, there are effects on his mental status. For one thing, the stutter disappears. For another, he seems to have a clarity, a presence of mind, that is enhanced. This effect is countered, however, by drunkenness.

There could be basis for some experimentation here. Spook+alcohol+something - or some such.

How much effort you wanna throw at this is entirely up to you =)

Stig:

Spoiler
    Show

You speak with various people, picking up bits of information. You learn that Vespeth is adeptus astra telepatica, and as such responsible for long-range communication. He speaks rather a lot in riddles, and has insights about you that are bordering on unpleasant.

A chat with Maldanis reveals an unexpected interest in weapons and armor. You find out that - despite or because of his physical shortcomings, he likes to be prepared for a fight, should one come fight him.

The Butlery Guy, towards the end of the night, tells you a bit of his personal history. He was major domo for the noble who owns this ship, a life-long servant hailing from a family of life-long servants. You find that he kinda resents being an indentured servant - but he resents change more =)

Finally, you get around to talking to the swaggering young gunslinger, who goes by the handle Hot Lead. Clearly of a ganger background, this Metallican chap is the resident gunsmith/armorer/personal bodyguard for Maldanis. He proudly shows of tattoos, saying how 'this one is for killing so and so' and 'that one is for joining the Slinger Guild' and so on.

Wormwood:

Spoiler
    Show

You wake in a terrible state. your life has held few opportunities for drunken binges, and your hangover is monumental.

However, not long after you wake, Butlery Guy turns up at your room, offering what he informs you is 'van Leutens Remedy' - a Machine Cult concoction that works to reset body chemistry, largely curing hangovers.

You remember little of the evening before - but Vespeth Shah you do recall. Clearly an Adeptus Astra Telepatica, he serves as a reminder of your (relatively) good fortune. Despite everything, your ordeal has left you mostly intact. You have been deemed basically strong enough to wield the powers of your mind, unchecked and free.

Not so the Astra Telepatica. Judged too weak to resist the perils of the warp, and the entities that lurk there-in, Vespeth has been stripped of most everything that makes life worth living. His tortures include blinding, the loss of taste and touch.

You are all summoned for breakfast and debriefing. I'd really like for one (or all) of you to write up what you tell Maldanis. It will give me such a nice overview of how much of the plot I've actually managed to confer =)

15. - Top - End - #465

Daemon

I can write up something by this afternoon.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I can have a write up by this evening. I'll pm it to you.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

The debriefing takes place in Maldanis' office. Considering the nature of the ship, this room is surprisingly sparse and austere, and you realise Madanis must have had most of the pompous furnishings that grace the rest of the ship removed.

Likely you wonder why anyone would ever do such a thing =)

Seated at a large desk (made from a material Stig, at least, recognises as wood), he ask you to be seated, then listens intently to your reports.

After you finish - complementing each others words, and adding details as you remember them - he is silent for a while, before speaking again.

'I was for many years an acolyte of the inquisitor Sternhauer. I never really wanted the seal myself, I am not by nature ambitious, merely dutiful. Perhaps that was my mistake' He chuckles.

'The inquisition has been worried for many, many years about the unexplained disappearances in this system and a few others nearby. That's pretty much what the inquisition does - it worries.'

'Now, see, I don't actually have the seal yet - but I shall, once we return victorious from this mission. I've been named Inquisitor Maldanis, but not yet recognized by the Calixian Conclave.'

He pauses, gathering his thoughts.

'When I came here, I had a core unit of very capable acolytes, and orders to investigate where and why people are disappearing. This is something that has eluded the inquisition for many, many years - but it has remained low priority, because it is so distant a problem, and so ... minor in scale.'

'Yet the data you have brought is ... most distressing. Investigation of the Big Lugs reveals that they are cloned. A primitive, yet effective, geneseed, designed to make pliable super soldiers. Reverse engineering of the armor you found clearly indicates that this is an adaption and modification of space marine power armor - although of a design thousands of years old.'

'There are always nobles attempting to push the boundaries of what number and quality of troops they are allowed in their personal retinues. This, is different. No one would dare use this, no one anywhere in the imperium. The purpose must be something different.'

'All this does little to solve the original mystery. Where and why are people being taken? We still don't know.'

He picks up a data slate, and starts adding things to it:

'We know this:
    • Someone - most likely deGrassi - is abducting people
    • Someone is supplying him with heretech
    • Said heretech is advanced, and shows adaption of early mechanicus and astartes designs and patterns
    • This is all somehow linked to Gaol, and some system outside Imperial space
    • What ever is behind all this, someone out there is willing and able to engage the inquisition - and win, at least the first engagement

So at this juncture, gentlemen - do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?'

18. - Top - End - #468
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gentlemen, today the world lost a great man. Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, died at the age of 82.

I post this in memory of a great man, one of the few privileged enough to walk amongst the stars. May he never be forgotten.

19. - Top - End - #469

Daemon

@Knives
    Spoiler
    Show
    ._.

That just sucks, man.

I think we should head to Gaol. That seems like where all the answers are. Although I'd love to get better gear, I need to salvage more, and I sense enemies at Gaol.

Unless I'm missing something(s).

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Armstrong:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Achieved more in his lifetime than most can dream of, and lived to high age. I hope he had loved ones around him when he went - if that is the case, I doubt he has reason to be unhappy =)

Stuffs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have some inklings of what sort of gear you guys want. Stig wants things that go boom, and armor I imagine. Delta wants a combat shotgun. Wormwood I'm somewhat more hazy about.

Could you set down maybe just a few words about what general direction you want to develop your character in?

Maldanis looks puzzled for a breif moment, then speaks.

'You know - I wonder at this Gaol. Clearly there is something there, something they need, but I can't imagine anyone going to Gaol for fuel or supplies. It has to be the worst place for it in the system.

No ... there is something else at Gaol. Must be!'

21. - Top - End - #471

+++I'd be suspicious of any tiny religious cult ~ more so one that claims what it does. Sounds like the perfect place for non standard idea's to grow and to have a covering front+++

Spoiler
    Show

Ya, More than 2 shots is a great boon - plus its a somewhat passable melee weapon or a Vanahiem Assault Shotgun would be nice as well...

Sad About Armstrong but he had a remarkable life and a lot of it as well
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #472

Daemon

@Acromos

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Wormwood is going down the militant side of the Psyker-tree, so anything that causes big boom is welcome.

Better armor would also be nice - something with protection from the vastness of the void would eventually be preferred, as being vented into space is kind of sucky.

See, the thing is that Wormwood is exceedingly paranoid, so I imagine I would get equipment for him that would be "just in case" measures. The problem is finding anything specific. Since our techpriest is going the bio-route, I could possibly pick up Tech-Use and get some nifty equipment, perhaps become a hacker of sorts; I don't really need many more non-psychic combat Talents, and Wormwood does 43 Int, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

Also, piloting is now an option. We have noticed that Wormwood is into ships. Eventually he'd probably want his own, or at least be high up on a ship's crew.

So, in summary: things that go boom, items with random functions that could possibly make our lives easier (think like a long-range auspex, or even implants, as long as implants don't affect psykers in the fluff too badly), and very eventually a ship.

Wormwood wants power. Getting flame powers can do that.
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-08-26 at 09:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A newer and bigger gun is always near the top of Stig's list. More armor is always good.

Stig is going the sniper route for the various fun traits and skills. He is a very sneaky giant of a man.

Who shoots things. Lots of things.

24. - Top - End - #474

Daemon

I'm thinking we need a way to Gaol, and maybe enlist Draven's help. He seems resourceful.

Well, using us as resources.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

So it seems everyone agrees the next stop is Gaol. Maybe reuniting with Draven underway - maybe getting a method of transportation more stylish than a sublight shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    +++I'd be suspicious of any tiny religious cult ~ more so one that claims what it does. Sounds like the perfect place for non standard idea's to grow and to have a covering front+++

Spoiler
    Show

Ya, More than 2 shots is a great boon - plus its a somewhat passable melee weapon or a Vanahiem Assault Shotgun would be nice as well...

Sad About Armstrong but he had a remarkable life and a lot of it as well
    Maldanis mulls this over. It is, he informs you, a cult at least nominally dedicated to the Imperial Creed, the Gospel of the God-Emperor, and the Ecclesiarchy.

This by no means rules out heresy or corruption - but a healthy dose of religious zeal is encouraged, going far enough for rather hysterical fanaticism to be considered a useful quality. (these are not, of course, the words Menelaus uses =)

There is the thing about the faithful 'seeing the countenance of the God-Emperor'. That bit is unusual. Also, the nature of the station-cathedral is rather unorthodox. But we'll get to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives91 View Post
    A newer and bigger gun is always near the top of Stig's list. More armor is always good.

Stig is going the sniper route for the various fun traits and skills. He is a very sneaky giant of a man.

Who shoots things. Lots of things.
    On big sneaky guys:

Spoiler
    Show

For a campaign I once wrote up an encounter where the adventurers would meet a (potentially hostile) group of Ogre Adventurers.

There was an ogre druid shapeshifter, an ogre rogue, an ogre ranger, and the leader was Nox - an ogre barbarian/psionic warrior, who could dish out prodigous amounts of damage with a 2-hander.

The point here being the ogre rogue, who had low agility, was large size, and generally just didn't do all too damn well on his move silently and hide in shadows. But for a strength rogue, when he got off a sneak attack, he did just tons of damage.

On shoota's:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now ... how did that go again. Someone held a little speech, in which he bragged about his giant hunting rifle - a single shot carbine rigged to fire adeptus bolt shells. Who was that again?! And ... we're you guys right outside his bedroom just recently - but never thought to check?!

Damn. I don't remember :p

I'm thinking we need a way to Gaol, and maybe enlist Draven's help. He seems resourceful.

Well, using us as resources.
    Draven may have left the Space Lounge. You didn't make any plans to return there.

Another thing for your consideration: If you go to Gaol, deGrassi may be there - depending on your timing. You have the data from his flight cogitator, so that's in your hands.

Finally .... Maldanis understands the need for better gear. His ship is equipped only with various standard items. However, there are armorers and gunsmiths in Wreck. He sends one of his people there with a shopping list.

In the simplest terms, that means:

A guards flak suit is available to everyone.
    Combat shotguns are available to everyone.

Furthermore, Maldanis is able to find some weapons that are strictly impractical for use onboard spacegoing vessels:

One heavy stubber is available.
    One grenade launcher is available.
    One flamer is available.

Finally, he is able to aquire one suit of articulated carapace armor. It's really quite a beautiful piece, embossed with the imperial aquila and regimental markings of some long forgotten regiment from Tormentus Secundus. What it has in style, it does however also lack in discretion: You can't really go anywhere in this, if you don't want people to see you as imperial agents.

Any final preparations or considerations, before going to Gaol, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll write up an intro forthwith.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On shoota's:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now ... how did that go again. Someone held a little speech, in which he bragged about his giant hunting rifle - a single shot carbine rigged to fire adeptus bolt shells. Who was that again?! And ... we're you guys right outside his bedroom just recently - but never thought to check?!

Damn. I don't remember :p
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stig prefers to keep his weapons heresy free. I'm pretty sure that even possessing such shells would get him shot in short order.

Besides, he's got a twin linked autogun with tearing. There is a custom gun that he's got his eye on though. Its the Armageddon pattern autogun from the Inquisitors handbook. A solid gun with a very nice amount of damage potential.

That aside, he plans to stock up on ammo and supplies before the next mission. And while he would love that armor, being low key is the name of the game. Carapace armor is about as far from low key as one can get at a reasonable price.

27. - Top - End - #477

Daemon

Stig, if you don't take that carapace armor, I will. But you really should take it, you being the tank and all.

Right, so, better armor and a shotgun for everyone! I have no training in any of the new things, but I am a living flamethrower, so there's that.

@Acromos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Random question: is the carapace armor too big to be worn under my robe? I know AP doesn't stack (which doesn't matter in the first place since it's a tattered bloody robe), but could I wear the robe over it like Ciaphas Cain?

(I also seem to remember Cain's version being specially small, or something, though, so there's that, too

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

@Acromos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Random question: is the carapace armor too big to be worn under my robe? I know AP doesn't stack (which doesn't matter in the first place since it's a tattered bloody robe), but could I wear the robe over it like Ciaphas Cain?

(I also seem to remember Cain's version being specially small, or something, though, so there's that, too
    Spoiler
    Show

Drape cloth over metal armor - sure, no problem, knights have being wearing surcoats since before the dawn of the Emperor.

It's impractical, and you can't put it on yourself, and if it strays out of shape for any reason, you can't straighten it out yourself either.

But this is the Empire, where we consider such practical concerns the limitations of weak-willed and undisciplined minds. Servants of the Emperor have been wearing cloth over their carapace, power- or even terminator armor since time out of memory. Of course it can be done!

29. - Top - End - #479

1 Ironclaw (can i specify it as its actually less Shots per clip and Semi Auto to be used as a Club and be reliable)

1 Guard Flak (although is it possible to wear Carapace under my Robe - I'm kinda bulky looking as it and no-one is game to disrobe a Tech priest)

Depending what the Launcher is loaded with means its possible to use on Ship with fear of a Hull Breach.

Do i get my Dendite installed and have had time to investigate the Lance?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

30. - Top - End - #480

Daemon

Sounds like we all want the carapace, and it'd be useful on any of us. How about a roll decided by Acromos?