New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: DC superhero "coming out"

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Example: a link off of CNN's site as of today is still showing Hal's picture from JLA #1 next to the headline about this.
    Cowboy Bebop At His Computer, Heroine Of Gundam Amuron and things like that - mainstream media couldn't get a single fact about geeky things straight (no pu intended) if their lives would depend on it.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    But that's my point - aside from the media they've appeared in (and their skin color) what really differentiates those two in the eyes of the public? Or if you asked a non-comics-fan what the difference is between Raynor and Hal, what would he or she say?

I believe the answer is - not much. You could pour almost anyone with generic hero characteristics (brave, creative, rebellious etc.) into green tights and few would notice the difference. Alan is the first time that the man behind the ring might get real attention, precisely because of the niche he represents.

It's like asking a non-comics-fan the difference between Tim Drake and Jason Todd, or the difference between Wally West and Barry Allen.

And if I may rant briefly for a moment, this is a general problem with DC characters. They start with the suit and then develop the man, whereas Marvel starts with the man and thrusts them into the suit. People care about Peter Parker/Tony Stark/Bruce Banner/Steve Rogers just as much as they care about Spider Man/Iron Man/Hulk/Cap, because Marvel makes characters first and heroes second.
    I would say that DC usually starts with the theme, DC characters are symbols representing ideas. everything else usually is wrapped around those symbols

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Cowboy Bebop At His Computer, Heroine Of Gundam Amuron and things like that - mainstream media couldn't get a single fact about geeky things straight (no pun intended) if their lives would depend on it.
    That's just it. It's been nearly a week since the release was made. The issue came out yesterday, I believe. Yet this "error" persists.

Why the scare quotes? I don't think this "error" is the fault of the MSM's incompetence/inability to do its own job. If DC actually wanted to make an 'event' out of this, they'd garner additional publicity by correcting the mistake. Since the "error" is not just still out there but perpetuating... I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe its an accident.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)