New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: The Orb Of Fire IC Thread

Merinna, Changeling Rogue
    Merinna follows Anar to the rest of the group. She hopes that they can avoid a fight with the dragon, but isn't entirely sure how they can get the orb without conflict.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose I'll roll for Spot and Listen too.
    Listen:(1d20+9)[24]
    Spot:(1d20+9)[22]
    My keyboard isn't the best, so I'm sorry if any of the words I type are missing letters.
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from the dragon (which now appears to have found a perch atop the mountain), nothing seems amiss, and the entrance to the mountain is empty, waiting for the footsteps of the bold into the darkness...

Bold adventurers with feet? Sounds like a group I know...
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-06-01 at 01:17 AM.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

3. - Top - End - #123

DrowGirl

Merinna pulls out her ioun stone and places it by her head. It glows light blue and spins around her head. Merinna begins to creep into the mountain.
    "Well, there's no point in waiting out here. Let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently:[roll]1d20+19
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-06-01 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Forgot quotation marks
    My keyboard isn't the best, so I'm sorry if any of the words I type are missing letters.
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Jeth follows at a fair distance, making no effort to move silently. His staff begins to glow brightly, illuminating his surroundings. He keeps a careful eye out for anyone attempting to ambush the group, though he doesn't expect to see much.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[10] Spot
    (1d20+2)[5] Listen
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan and Aquila look into the cave before entering it. He jumps off her back before doing so, though.

Nolan goes to Merinna's side and walks beside her, with Aquila behind them.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the cave isn't large enough for Aquila (10 feet tall), then she'll be waiting outside.

N, Move Silent: (1d20+2)[16]
    A, Move Silent: (1d20+3)[22]
    N, Listen: (1d20+11)[13]
    A, Listen: (1d20+4)[14]
    N, Spot: (1d20+11)[20]
    A, Spot: (1d20+13)[27]
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Aran, Dragon Shaman

Aran steels himself and follows the others into the darkness, sword raised, and dragon enhanced senses alert.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

The tunnel was built for giants, so Aquila can move about comfortably, but can't fly. The tunnel goes inward for about 80 feet or so before tilting up slightly, the hastily-carved walls turning to fine dwarven stonework.

The torches on the walls keep the area illuminated, and eventually the tunnel opens up to an enormous area. The ceiling fades above your heads, so far up you can't see it, and the open area could house a city and a half, easily.

It looks like there used to be many other tunnels leading out and down, but a great majority have collapsed, leaving only three open - Yours, one to the right, and one you can barely see on the other side of the place. Hill giants, ogres and trolls mill around, but based on what you've heard about the numbers of the army, this band of a dozen or so can't be more than a fourth of it, if that.

What used to be a dwarven fortress and housing area has turned into a makeshift barracks, with several stone buildings dotting around, and a large forge in one corner filled with lava. Nolan and Aquila can see the outline of what looks like a huge man in the flames, hammering away at a flaming sword.

This section of the mountain is big enough to where the party in unnoticed...for now. However, with all the giants about, that could soon change.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan got onto Aquila and looked to the path on the right. "I say we take that one, though we'll have to either fight our way through or go sneaky. I'm sure I can get past unnoticed, flying and all that, not so sure about you all. So, shall we fight or hide?"
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Jeth nods in agreement. "I can teleport the less stealthy party members directly there, so I suggest we hide," he rasps. "Anyone not absolutely confident in their ability to sneak past the troops, grasp my hand. My magic is, unfortunately, only powerful enough to bring two of you."

Jeth squints and reopens his eyes, which are now a solid violet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I activate my Psychic Meditation for the day to activate the Crown chakra, giving me a +3 to natural armor for the next four hours.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-04 at 02:08 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

10. - Top - End - #130

DrowGirl

Merinna reaches up in the air and retrieves her ioun stone, since it's bright enough here to see without it. "I'm sure I can get to the tunnel without being spotted. You should take the others." Merinna lifts her left thumb and grasps her Wand of Swift Invisibility as it ejects from the bracer. "Even if I am seen, I won't be visible for long."
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the others start to look around, they might notice Iaral just up and disappeared. However, there is a note on Jeth's shoulder.

Something tells me I will be fine. I will meet you at that entrance and render assistance midway if need be.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Anar, Dragon Shaman

Though it hurt his pride to admit so, he was aware that hiding was not one of his foremost skills, so he silently approached Jeth and held his hand, nodding when their eyes met.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

After reading over the note that had appeared on his shoulder, Jeth sighs, placing his staff head against the ground and drawing a small, dimly glowing circle. He steps within, pulling Anar along with him, and reappears at the tunnel entrance with a brief flash of light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psi Dimension Door does have a Visual display, so the light might be bright enough to get us noticed.
    HOMEBREW

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquila took to the air and flew high in the dungeon, towards the opening.

Hide: (1d20+3)[4]
    Move Silent: (1d20+3)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

DrowGirl

Merinna follows everyone else slowly, doing her best to avoid the attention of the giants.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+19)[29]
    Hide: (1d20+19)[36]
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

If the bright flash wasn't enough to get them noticed, the ridiculously conspicuous giant eagle taking off certainly was. In fact, every giant in spotting distance (three ogres and two hill giants - about half the population) comes running to wherever Aquila's landing.

Iaral, from a shadowy corner, just facepalms and nocks a couple arrows, ready to give fire support from near the rightside hallway.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-06-05 at 07:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

(Spot, 14 to 33. Enough to see things that aren't trying to be sneaky, I'm guessing.)

Seeing that the giants had clearly noticed her, Aquila informed Nolan and descended down to the group. If she had stayed in the air, there would be more enemies coming for them.

Nolan jumped off her back and the ring activated, lowering him down at a safe speed until he touched the ground. "Guess stealth isn't what we're going for anymore."

(Question: How is the tunnel? Like, dimensions and such.)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

DrowGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    If I need to roll to know about the giants and I fail, Merinna just keeps heading to the tunnel. If I don't need to roll for perception or I pass the roll then she does everything outside the spoiler.
    Spot: (1d20+9)[13]
    Listen: (1d20+9)[16]
    Hide: (1d20+19)[34]
    Move Silently (If I failed my perception rolls): (1d20+19)[22]

Merinna curses and draws her bow. She aims and prepares to shoot at a giant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She readies an action to shoot at whatever giant get closest to the rest of the party first and acts aggressively.
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-06-05 at 07:05 PM.
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Jeth grins and brandishes his staff, swinging it through the air and tearing a hole in space. A white, pulsating figure begins to crawl through, superficially resembling a seven-foot-tall warrior wielding a massive hammer.

"Let's fight, then," he quips cockily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Next round a level 4 astral construct with the Trip and Power Attack abilities will be at my service. I'm casting it for the duration of the round, though.

I'm currently at 49pp. I'm budgeting about 19pp more to this fight (more only if necessary).

Also, the light was not quite that bright. Just bright enough to necessitate a tough spot check, not an illuminating flash. See here for more details.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-05 at 07:20 PM.
    HOMEBREW

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

No, you don't need to make a check to detect a group of running, howling giants chasing you, Merinna.

The tunnel is about 20 feet high and 15 feet long. A bit roomy for your group, but a slightly cramped mining space for the giants. It gets worse, though: You can already see that some of the split-off tunnels further in have collapsed, even ones farther back. If you take a wrong turn, you might find yourself at a literal dead end. The winding spaces continue on for about fifty feet before hitting a sharp turn, past which you can't see.

(If everyone involved in fighting could post their Hit points and roll initiative, that would be marvelous. I'll keep track of a majority of the battle statistics from there.)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan: 35/35
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[20]
    AC: 17

-----

Aquila: 43/43
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[22]
    AC: 19
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Jeth has 40 hp and an AC of 23 (touch 13 flat-footed 21). His initiative is (1d20+2)[3]. (****.)
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-05 at 08:00 PM.
    HOMEBREW

23. - Top - End - #143

DrowGirl

Merinna
    AC 15
    HP 49/49
    Initiative (1d20+3)[14]
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 24
    HP: 80
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[12]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

As the second Ogre (who was closest to the tunnel) closes in on the group, he doesn't have quite enough time to stop and look around, giving Merinna time to shoot at him before anything else even happens, but it prompts him to focus on her afterward. (Merinna, if you could make an attack and damage roll against the flat-footed ogre.)

One of the hill giants and another ogre are closing rapidly. (One round until they're within striking distance.)

The last two are lagging a bit behind. (Three Rounds until distance closed.)

(Jeth, if you'd kindly roll intitiative and HP for your construct as well. Everyone, you have this round to yourselves as you see fit. As it stands, the order is thus -

Iaral
    Aquila
    Nolan
    HG 1 (1 round)
    Ogre 1 (3 rounds)
    Merinna (Shoots first thanks to delayed action)
    Anar
    Ogre 2
    HG 2 (3 rounds)
    Jeth
    Ogre 3 (1 round)

So you have this round for Ogre 2 and preperations, next round to deal with HG 1 and Ogre 3, a one-round breather period, and then the last two. Choose your actions for the current round, watch the fireworks, and come out swinging!)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

(5d10+20)[40] - construct HP
    The construct acts on my turn.

Jeth points his staff at the charging ogre as his eyes flare. He grins wildly. The construct charges and swings its hammer viciously at the ogre. Mid-air, the hammer's head melts and distorts, growing a hundred grasping tendrils.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[27] to-hit (power attack -2)
    (1d6+13)[18] bludgeoning damage
    (1d20+7)[24] trip attempt (if the above hits, attempt cannot be reciprocated if failed)
    Following the charge my construct will have a -2 to AC until its next turn, leaving it with an AC of 20.

A silver aura begins to surround Jeth as he chants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jeth manifests Vigor and gains 40 temporary hit points for the next 8 minutes. I have 41pp left and am budgeting 11pp more toward this fight.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-06 at 08:01 PM.
    HOMEBREW

27. - Top - End - #147

DrowGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll: (1d20+10)[20]
    If Critical Threat: (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+2)[9] + Sneak Attack (2d6)[8]
    If Critical Add: (4d6+4)[17] because of the x3 multiplier

Merinna lets her arrow fly at the ogre.
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-06-06 at 08:00 PM.
    Merinna, Orb of Fire

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquila flapped her wings once and kept the ogre in her focus (activating dodge on it). She jetted off, striking the ogre with a claw as she passed by and then turning skyward. (She has flyby attack, so she can attack while moving. The enemy does get an attack on her, though. Her AC against him is 20.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+10)[29]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8]
    Check: (1d20+10)[23]
    Critical: (1d6+4)[5]

Nolan dashed forward and aimed a punch at the ogre's stomach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13]
    Check: (1d20+10)[11]
    Critical: (2d6+4)[15]
    (All the damage here is not lethal.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-06 at 08:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

The construct never actually got a chance to trip the ogre, as it goes down right after being hit with an arrow, claws and then a fist. Out cold and bleeding, but not dead quite yet.

The next two, however, are still an imminent problem.

(I'll wait for Anar to post his action. The construct can change it's for thsi round, too. Also, Merinna can still do something, since the attack was readied before initiative was rolled, so I'll rule it as a 'surprise round attack'.

Laconic: Merinna, Anar, and Jeth's construct can do stuff for a round before the next two close.)
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-06-06 at 08:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

The construct rushes to Merinna's side and holds its hammer aloft, prepared to strike the next foe to come within its reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I use the rolls from before for its next attack? They're too great to give up.
    HOMEBREW