New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Wasn't the whole point of The God Complex was to break the obsession with the Doctor? And her staying on Earth with Rory and actually considering not to go adventuring with him any longer one of the major plot points of this season? Also as to Rory being a Doctor substitute I thought that was handled way back with Amy's Choice, and emphasized again when telling her daughter stories about the man whose going to rescue them, and again in their last episode. Yes he started that way, but by the end, no. She's "Rory's Queen."
    There's some advice given when writing, it goes "Show, don't tell.". They tell one story, but they're sure as heck showing the same old stuff.
    Last edited by NikitaDarkstar; 2012-10-12 at 12:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #752

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    <everything SV wrote>
    o_O that's weired... how come you are expressing my thoughts better than me?

about who is more important for Amy - I think it's significant that in 'Wedding of River Song' Amy can't remember Rory but has no problem with the Doctor at all. Also there was this creepy awfull scene in 'The Big Bang' - Amy just a few hours after getting married, when she sees the Doctor goes all slutty for him with this 'You definitelly may kiss the bride'. Right in front of her husband. Awfull.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    o_O that's weired... how come you are expressing my thoughts better than me?

about who is more important for Amy - I think it's significant that in 'Wedding of River Song' Amy can't remember Rory but has no problem with the Doctor at all. Also there was this creepy awfull scene in 'The Big Bang' - Amy just a few hours after getting married, when she sees the Doctor goes all slutty for him with this 'You definitelly may kiss the bride'. Right in front of her husband. Awfull.
    I think her remembering everything but Rory is very telling in the other direction. Time and space are falling apart. Which obviously means Winston Churchill is emperor, there are pterodactyls chasing children, and Amy and Rory don't remember each other.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #754
    Banned

Daemon

Doctor Who Series 7 News!

Christmas Special: Based in both modern day and victorian london. Based on "The Snowman" by Raymond Briggs. Starring Jenna Louise Coleman, Richard E Grant and Tom Ward. But more importantly, THE RETURN OF MADAME VASTRA THE SILURIAN AND JENNY THE MAID. Also THE SONTARAN NURSE! Monster is a sentient alien living in wi-fi. May be scary, as Moffat mentioned he was unleashing a new scary monster.

THERE'S MORE!

New Season: Spring 2013.

8 Episodes. The Movie of the Week format remains!

Two by Moffat (episodes 6 and 13). Episodes 6 is "The Bells of St John" and was filmed internationally. May star the scary monster if the other ep did not.

THERE'S MORE!

Two by Mark Gattiss (episodes 8 and 10). 8 is "The Cold War" set on a submarine and possibly starring Ice Warriors. Featuring Liam Cunningham and David Warner. 10 is "The Crimson Horror" set in Victorian England with the return of Vastra, Jenny and Strax. But more importantly, DAME DIANA RIGG, MS EMMA PEEL HERSELF! Alongside her real life daughter Rachel Stirling.

THERE'S MORE!

Mark Gatiss is also making a drama called "Adventures in Time and Space" about the story of how Doctor Who came to be made.

THERE'S MORE!

Two by New Writer Neil Cross (Creator of Luther and head writer of Spooks), (episodes 7 and 9). Episode 9 is "The Hider in the House". Set in 1950s and starring Dougray Scot.

THERE'S MORE!

One by Steve Thompson (episode 11). Starring Ashley Waters and set inside the heart of the TARDIS. May feature a return of the eye of harmony.

NONE OF THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING NEWS! EPISODE 12 WILL FEATURE A REVAMP OF THE CYBERMEN AND BE WRITTEN BY....

Neil Gaiman. The Neil Gaiman. Again.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/doct...r-who-series-7

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-...ow-27371.htm/2

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    THere's soem advice given when writing it goes "Show, don't tell.". They tell one story, but they're sure as heck showing the same old stuff.
    But how? As far as I can remember after Amy's Choice she always chooses Rory, every time. And she seems fine with staying behind after God Complex, I mean a little put off but that's it. Of course she does choose to go adventuring again, but then so does Rory, because hell, who wouldn't? And when she does return to adventuring she specifically is given dialogue telling the Doctor off when she thinks he crosses the line.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Neil Gaiman? Hells yes. Writing the Cybermen, who more and more feel like bad comedy lately? Hells yes. The rest pales, really and truly pales, in comparison. I'll be fascinated to see what Gaiman can do to make the Cybermen feel fresh again.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Neil Gaiman? Hells yes. Writing the Cybermen, who more and more feel like bad comedy lately? Hells yes. The rest pales, really and truly pales, in comparison. I'll be fascinated to see what Gaiman can do to make the Cybermen feel fresh again.
    In my opinion, he probably won't have to do much. There was a post reboot episode where the Doctor was talking to a critically damaged cyberman who had regained it's humanity just before it died and it started talking about her wedding the following day like any excited bride would... in the cold voice modulated tones of a cyberman.

I think most people forget about the involuntary nature of the conversion process - cybermen still are normal people underneath the metal and programming.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Did some people want closure on Brian and some of the Pond's life? Do this help?
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-10-12 at 07:43 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Did some people want closure on Brian and some of the Pond's life? Do this help?
    Ah, I was going to look for that. They'd announced it somewhere.
    Very well put together and a good performance by Arthur.
    And it kind of solves the question I had since Asylum. Not in the way I'd wanted it to be solved but still.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really surprised they didn't film that. It's a great scene.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

11. - Top - End - #761

RogueGuy

I honestly think that's a better ending to the episode than Amy's voiceover.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also THE SONTARAN NURSE!
    I doubt that since he died.
    ...OK, I just actually read the articles, but until I see that it was specifically said by someone actually involved in the production of Who I'm not ruling out that he's simply a different Sontaran played by the same actor (Which they have done before, after all).

THERE'S MORE!

THERE'S MORE!

THERE'S MORE!

THERE'S MORE!

THERE'S MORE UNNECESSARY CAPS AND EXCLAMATIONS!
    ...were you trying to make it seem like you were trying way too hard to make something exciting that really wasn't? Or sarcastically doing so to point out that it wasn't? Because that's how this came across to me. You ruined the genuinely exciting information by being all "LOOK U GUISE ALL THIS IS TOTES AMAZES ERMAGERD NO SRSLY" about the rest of it.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

NONE OF THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING NEWS! EPISODE 12 WILL FEATURE A REVAMP OF THE CYBERMEN AND BE WRITTEN BY....

Neil Gaiman. The Neil Gaiman. Again.
    A little far outside his normal genre I think to be that excited.

D'awww why they heck wasn't that in there its completely awesome.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Sniff. *Cough* Stupid onions...

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Why they didn't film that is a mystery. Presumably Moffat just likes being maudlin. *eyeglow roll*

16. - Top - End - #766

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    A little far outside his normal genre I think to be that excited.
    I don't know. Cybermen and planet scale invasions isn't his normal forte to be sure, but I'd be very surprised if he couldn't put the creepy and scary back into the cybermen.

But how? As far as I can remember after Amy's Choice she always chooses Rory, every time. And she seems fine with staying behind after God Complex, I mean a little put off but that's it. Of course she does choose to go adventuring again, but then so does Rory, because hell, who wouldn't? And when she does return to adventuring she specifically is given dialogue telling the Doctor off when she thinks he crosses the line.
    By making sure the scenes and acting is actually believable? By making it an actual choice at some point (and not "Amy manipulates Rory into going with her and the Doctor again because she wants both.")? And I never saw it as Rory choosing to adventure, I saw it as Rory choosing to adventure to spend time with his wife because that's what the tone and acting conveyed to me.
    And that dialogue/speech? Always felt more like Amy's general attitude making itself known than any actual growth or actual displeasure with the Doctor.

Of course you could have seen/felt other things when watching the episodes, but I'm basing my opinions on my experiences when watching the show. :)

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Why would you not film that scene? That is a brilliant end to the series.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Why would you not film that scene? That is a brilliant end to the series.
    And so much better than the filmed ending. Why oh why didn't they shoot that? Or if there wasn't room or whatever for the scene, shoot it and release it as a short or something... Still, it's now my personal ending to the episode.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

That was one of the most touching moments ever, and a nice call back to the letters from Blink.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

D'awww....

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    And so much better than the filmed ending. Why oh why didn't they shoot that? Or if there wasn't room or whatever for the scene, shoot it and release it as a short or something... Still, it's now my personal ending to the episode.
    It's now mine as well.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't suppose we can start a campaign for a do-over on the final episode.. so they add this scene instead of the other one?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

I think on further reflection I know why it was left out... its precludes any Author's Saving Throw.

At present Amy and Rory can be extracted from their predicament without too much difficult in story terms. Timey-wimey keeps them there, so just timey-wimey them out.

Sure sure the actors may want out now with finality or whatever... but say a few years from now can be talked into a brief return for a big finale episode. Heck we don't know how the season will end, maybe they've already been slated to get out and this is all just to keep a lid on it in the meta-game. Not likely but its a possibility. And still what if down the road there is a desire from any party (say from fan-outcry) to revisit/fix that ending somehow

The P.S. scene would lock things in as a story, and put it anything written going forward either having to ignore that bit, or have to put Amy and Rory right back where they were after it was all said and done.

23. - Top - End - #773

ElfRogueGirl

And I just watched that video... and now I'm crying. Why did they not shoot this?!

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Wasn't the whole point of The God Complex was to break the obsession with the Doctor?
    Yeah, and I still feel that would have been a perfectly good send-off for Amy and Rory. In a sense, it kind of was anyway. In between that and "The Angels Take Manhattan", they didn't really do anything all that much that was really plot-significant except in "The Wedding of River Song", and that was in an alternate time-line anyway. Well, OK, "The Power of Three" was about their relationship with The Doctor more than it was about the Slow Invasion, but they didn't actually do that much. And look at the other episodes in there:

"Closing Time": basically, they just had a cameo, and no interaction with The Doctor or anything to do with the plot.

"The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe": again, they just have what is essentially a cameo, though they do at least interact with The Doctor (and yeah, it's a touching scene).

"Asylum of the Daleks": other than the pointless (and quickly resolved) divorce subplot, what did they really do? OK, the Daleks say that it's known that The Doctor requires companions, but is there any in-story reason that the Daleks couldn't have grabbed some of The Doctor's past companions (after all, Amy and Rory weren't travelling with The Doctor right at the time they were "acquired"). Sure, on a meta-level, Moffatt has said that he doesn't intend to re-use any RTD-era characters (I guess River is an exception since Moffatt created her), but in-story, the Daleks could have just as easily acquired, say, Captain Jack, or it even could have been an opportunity to bring back another Classic Who companion.

"Dinosaurs on a Spaceship": they didn't really do all that much in this one, and even without them, The Doctor would have still had Nefertiti and whatshisname the hunter. Though we would have missed out on Brian.

"A Town Called Mercy": they really had very little to do in this one.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Sure, on a meta-level, Moffatt has said that he doesn't intend to re-use any RTD-era characters
    I'm pretty sure he has said no such thing.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I'm pretty sure he has said no such thing.
    Heck, I'm sure he said he wanted to use Jack in A Good Man Goes to War, but Barrowman was busy filiming Miracle Day.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #777

Daemon

Heck, I'm sure he said he wanted to use Jack in A Good Man Goes to War, but Barrowman was busy filiming Miracle Day.
    That's what I've heared too

28. - Top - End - #778
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I've been watching Doctor Who after extreme recommendations from friends.
    And me and my brother love it.
    We started from the 9th Doctor and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    He just became the 10th Doctor

Anyways, I've gotta ask...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will it be just as sad when he becomes the 11th Doctor?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

29. - Top - End - #779
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    ...were you trying to make it seem like you were trying way too hard to make something exciting that really wasn't? Or sarcastically doing so to point out that it wasn't? Because that's how this came across to me. You ruined the genuinely exciting information by being all "LOOK U GUISE ALL THIS IS TOTES AMAZES ERMAGERD NO SRSLY" about the rest of it.
    I was actually genuinely excited by the information (although some of the there's more were a representation of the lack of the recent EXCITING STUFF WOOOOO that the show has been marketed as recently). I may have tried to hard to work up excitment, because I know not that many people read my posts as people keep forgetting stuff I've mentioned (Jenna's character being announced as Clara Oswin for instance).

Although I will be giving out this info again in several months time when DWM does a behind the scenes look in with more details. And I'll do it without the "look you guys all this is totally amazing oh my stars no seriously".

Although Moffat has not said he wanted a break from RTD companions, he has mentioned starting Who with "a clean slate" and wanted to move away from the "Aliens in London" stories as he felt RTD had done too many. Easy mistake.

Watched the unshot scene. I liked it. A lot. Gave the Amy's Divorce scene a point (because it showed that, by adopting, they had grown up). I don't think it should replace the original ending. Amy has been on screen for a lot longer than Rory and she deserved to have her goodbye to the Raggedy Man. I do think they should both have been on screen.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    So I've been watching Doctor Who after extreme recommendations from friends.
    And me and my brother love it.
    We started from the 9th Doctor and...
    Spoiler
    Show
    He just became the 10th Doctor

Anyways, I've gotta ask...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will it be just as sad when he becomes the 11th Doctor?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every regeneration is sad in it's own way. Though for various reasons I cannot stand 10ths death/regeneration and I can't really go into those reasons without spoilers. Let's just say it's handled very differently from any other regeneration, and I don't think it worked.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-10-13 at 12:08 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard