New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling] A Gathering of Mists IC

As Stephanie walks with Peter, he seems to grow. His arms thicken, his horns lengthen, his legs get a little longer. At the same time, the walls of the cave transform into worked stone, the same cobblestones as the castle that he brought you through before putting you to sleep. There's even an inappropriate song playing.

The older Peter stops and says to Stephanie. "Thanks for the second save. We need to wait here. Your friend should arrive in a minute and then the witch will come and I'll play my part while you hide and listen."

Outside, Charlotte can see the mountain transform into a castle with stonework that seems to match the one that she had previously come through. The cave entrance that Stephanie entered is still there, however.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #992
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    As Stephanie walks with Peter, he seems to grow. His arms thicken, his horns lengthen, his legs get a little longer. At the same time, the walls of the cave transform into worked stone, the same cobblestones as the castle that he brought you through before putting you to sleep. There's even an inappropriate song playing.

The older Peter stops and says to Stephanie. "Thanks for the second save. We need to wait here. Your friend should arrive in a minute and then the witch will come and I'll play my part while you hide and listen."

Outside, Charlotte can see the mountain transform into a castle with stonework that seems to match the one that she had previously come through. The cave entrance that Stephanie entered is still there, however.
    "S'allright," said Stephanie, sitting down and waiting.

No small talk. Don't pry.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

"I um, I'm not sure. Mom said he hurt someone, so he has to stay away for a long time as punishment. But, I don't know why sometimes it's okay, like that man you tied up, and sometimes it's not, like with my Dad."
    "The truest answer I can give you is that it's never okay, not even for me. If that man back there really wanted to, he could press charges on me and I'd probably go to jail, too. He won't, because he's a coward, but he could.

Where it gets tricky is, if I hadn't come and hurt him, what would he have done to you? I'm not willing to find out. So, while I would tell you to never to hurt anyone, if you must, then do it to protect yourself or those who cannot defend themselves. I... hope your father thinks the same."

Rose takes a few steps forward, and sighs.

"...I am sorry. I am not very good at being comforting. I've been alone for a very long time."

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Rose takes a few steps forward, and sighs.

"...I am sorry. I am not very good at being comforting. I've been alone for a very long time."
    Anna nods, a little sadly, and takes Rose's hand as they're walking. It seems like she doesn't have much more to say, and just enjoys walking quietly with Rose.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

5. - Top - End - #995
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [Two hours of sleep make names not work right]
    ((Word))

Of course. Charlotte blinks. Blinking, it seems, is quickly becoming her favorite activity. Blink in confusion, blink in surprise... She sighs.

"We couldn't find any new set pieces because the prime actors weren't ready for them. It's so obvious. I hope Stephanie will forgive me..." She leans forward and whispers into the Pegasus' ear. "down, girl."

There were still some wolves to deal with here, of course. But until she looks directly at them, Charlotte notes they have a fleeting, cardboard look. Vague and poorly detailed. The dream is moving on.

Coming in at shift speed dive, Charlotte first stands on the shoulders of the wings, then jumps eer so slightly, parachuting toward the cave on her skirts and coat while the Pegasus, trailing an aurora, moves to hold the wolves at bay.

"Are you here, miss?" she sends echoing down the cave.

6. - Top - End - #996

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    [color="grey"]"Are you here, miss?" she sends echoing down the cave.
    "Yeah. Watch the cobbles, they're slippery," Stephanie called back.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Banned

She walks closer, mindful of the slippery cobbles, letting te colors drain from her wardrobe as the shadows overtake her. Charlotte steps into Stephanie's sight wearing silver-shaded black and white formal Victorian wear, cut for utility.

"I think I have figured something out," she whispers, mindful of Minos standing not ten feet away, "I think that we can't go further without him. The scenes don't change for us, so we need to move him along the script, miss."

Whether appropriate or out of place, Charlotte's face is deadly serious.

8. - Top - End - #998

She walks closer, mindful of the slippery cobbles, letting te colors drain from her wardrobe as the shadows overtake her. Charlotte steps into Stephanie's sight wearing silver-shaded black and white formal Victorian wear, cut for utility.

"I think I have figured something out," she whispers, mindful of Minos standing not ten feet away, "I think that we can't go further without him. The scenes don't change for us, so we need to move him along the script, miss."

Whether appropriate or out of place, Charlotte's face is deadly serious.
    "Well, yeah," said Stephanie. "This is his dream, after all."

She stood. "Let's go."

9. - Top - End - #999
    Banned

Charlotte's expression reads very clearly as "well, uh... I... Hmm."

She doesn't say anything, instead following Stephanie and Peter.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

It can't last forever. Kalina gives Anna's hand a soft squeeze, and walks on without saying another word. Even though her hand is made of mail, she can feel warmth like it was flesh again. Even though she is so different, she can feel the connection flowing through the touch.

Don't ruin it with words. She spares a glance at the young girl's clothing again, at the plain and dingy hoodie and the badly worn sneakers. Separated by the gulf of time, and a thousand memories she hopes never to share, but even so. There's that bond. It's so powerful, so... so warm.

Kalina's head jerks back up and locks straight ahead. She's looking at the street signs now. Getting close now. Very close. Her eyes are glittering in the street lights now. She can't let Anna see. Soon her task would be over, and the connection severed. This is the life of a knight-errant.

Her pace slows down, almost imperceptibly. A half step at most. Maybe... maybe just for a little longer...

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Charlotte's expression reads very clearly as "well, uh... I... Hmm."

She doesn't say anything, instead following Stephanie and Peter.
    The corridor progresses to one of the castle balconies. Peter, fully adult now, looks out and gazes into a wide, grassy clearing, beyond which is a wall of greenish thorns marking the edge of the hollow.

To his surprise, the white stag is there, hovering outside the thorns at their edge. He roars and jumps off the balcony to pursue it, but it simply leaps back and disappears in the thorns. As you watch from the balcony, Peter shakes his head and walks back inside through a lower door, but as he does so, a person in a snow-white cloak steps out of the hedge and silently begins following him into the castle.

It can't last forever. Kalina gives Anna's hand a soft squeeze, and walks on without saying another word. Even though her hand is made of mail, she can feel warmth like it was flesh again. Even though she is so different, she can feel the connection flowing through the touch.

Don't ruin it with words. She spares a glance at the young girl's clothing again, at the plain and dingy hoodie and the badly worn sneakers. Separated by the gulf of time, and a thousand memories she hopes never to share, but even so. There's that bond. It's so powerful, so... so warm.

Kalina's head jerks back up and locks straight ahead. She's looking at the street signs now. Getting close now. Very close. Her eyes are glittering in the street lights now. She can't let Anna see. Soon her task would be over, and the connection severed. This is the life of a knight-errant.

Her pace slows down, almost imperceptibly. A half step at most. Maybe... maybe just for a little longer...
    Anna slows to match Rose's pace. A few steps at a time, until the house comes into view.

It's not the worst neighborhood in the city, but it's a bit rundown. The building has paint peeling, there's some wood scraps and trash sitting out in front, some of which looks like it was thrown out a window based on the broken fencepost next to it, and there aren't any lights on at the moment.

Anna looks at Rose. She hesitates, then wraps Rose in an embrace. "I, uh, I guess I'll never see you again, or something like that, right?" she says through the hug.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #1002

The corridor progresses to one of the castle balconies. Peter, fully adult now, looks out and gazes into a wide, grassy clearing, beyond which is a wall of greenish thorns marking the edge of the hollow.

To his surprise, the white stag is there, hovering outside the thorns at their edge. He roars and jumps off the balcony to pursue it, but it simply leaps back and disappears in the thorns. As you watch from the balcony, Peter shakes his head and walks back inside through a lower door, but as he does so, a person in a snow-white cloak steps out of the hedge and silently begins following him into the castle.
    "I don't get what the stag means," said Stephanie to Charlotte, ghosting after Snow White.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ettin in the Playground

Anna looks at Rose. She hesitates, then wraps Rose in an embrace. "I, uh, I guess I'll never see you again, or something like that, right?" she says through the hug.
    "I..."

Rose's mind is flooding with images. Her recent dreams dance through her memory, covering her in blood, sweat, and dragon fire. The dreams fade, leaving memories. In the dark and twisted bramble of the forest, she can see herself, bound and gagged. She has to fight not to shudder into the embrace.

"I..."

She can see herself. Triumphant and glorious. Battered and bloody. Alone in the dark. He liked to keep her in the dark. Things would always happen when it got dark. Just... like... tonight.

Anna is a doll in her arms. Rose's ears ring with applause. The spotlight is shining on her, bets are exchanging hands, and -- NO! It can't be another lie. It isn't a trick. It isn't allowed to be! Rose opens her eyes, and sees the beat up house once more. Her breathing is quiet but ragged, forehead covered in sweat.

She looks at Anna. Behind the girl, she can see herself smiling. She blinks. She can see herself, dying in a pool of her own blood. Which one is real? Is either one?

"I... can't make you any promises. I have a purpose again, thanks do you. I can't... I mean," she sighs and tries again, "What I have to do now, it might kill me. But if it does not..."

She trails off, releasing Anna from the hug.

"If I do not die, then I will return. If you wish for it to happen."

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Banned

"I don't get what the stag means," said Stephanie to Charlotte, ghosting after Snow White.
    "I don't know. Arawn? King Henry?" Charlotte purses her lips. "Marchande would know. Minos might know. I can look for it, in memories. Find a library or study. But... But I think it's a trap. I think the white hart is the bully from A Pup Named Scooby Doo, miss. I'm sorry."

15. - Top - End - #1005

"I don't know. Arawn? King Henry?" Charlotte purses her lips. "Marchande would know. Minos might know. I can look for it, in memories. Find a library or study. But... But I think it's a trap. I think the white hart is the bully from A Pup Named Scooby Doo, miss. I'm sorry."
    Stephanie nodded. Charlotte was smart, though, she was sure she'd figure it out if she had more time. Until then, she continued to follow the dream.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ettin in the Playground

"I...I'm sorry" he manages weakly. It's hard to tell if he believed even half of what he heard, but the emotion was raw enough in Marchande's voice that some of the pain seems to have leaked through to him. Not knowing what to say, he latches on to the waiter bringing along some rolls and begins buttering his with especially great gusto.
    Marchande eats rolls with a fork and a knife, not actually touching the food. Butter a roll, spear the roll, cut a slice off, raise to mouth and bite delicately. It's slow, measured, and she's intent on it. "Didn't want to pull out the sob story. Unprofessional. But the truth's the fastest way to cut through miscommunication." Her delivery is slightly too crisp to be natural, too forced to be as focused and chipper as it wants to be.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

"If I do not die, then I will return. If you wish for it to happen."
    Anna gives Rose a last squeeze and then lets her go. She nods at the statement, waves goodbye and walks over to the house. She doesn't turn any lights on, but Rose can see her pull out a small loose board to the right of the door, unlock the door, then put the hidden key back and go inside. At last a small light does go on in a downstairs window, though Anna's silhouette is the only one visible through the shade.

Stephanie nodded. Charlotte was smart, though, she was sure she'd figure it out if she had more time. Until then, she continued to follow the dream.
    As Stephanie and Charlotte follow, the cloaked figure takes on a different guise. The cloak darkens to a deep jet black, seeming to grow dirty and old. The figure, as seen from behind, stands less straight and gains a bit of a hunch. A walking stick appears in her hand.

As Peter goes to open the door that you recognize as leading back into the club, the cloaked figure walks up to him. He starts and turns around, and she walks to his side, showing Stephanie and Charlotte an old warty face with a huge bulbous nose.

In a voice that sounds similar to a dried out piece of paper collapsing to dust, she asks "pardon me, spare a meal and a room for an old lady from your bounty?"

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Marchande eats rolls with a fork and a knife, not actually touching the food. Butter a roll, spear the roll, cut a slice off, raise to mouth and bite delicately. It's slow, measured, and she's intent on it. "Didn't want to pull out the sob story. Unprofessional. But the truth's the fastest way to cut through miscommunication." Her delivery is slightly too crisp to be natural, too forced to be as focused and chipper as it wants to be.
    A greek salad arrives, and he takes a pointed bite out of a large tomato covered with feta cheese while he composes his thought. "Seems to me," he says, swallowing, "seems to me that you had it pretty rough, but you still haven't quite told me what you're doing here with me, or with us, for that matter. Okay, something really ****ty happened to you. But now you want to come work for us. And you seem like Bob, at least that you have the power to turn the business around. So how does that work? Do you need people to do crazy stuff for you, or was Bob just screwing with us for kicks when I had to do the penny thing?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #1008

As Stephanie and Charlotte follow, the cloaked figure takes on a different guise. The cloak darkens to a deep jet black, seeming to grow dirty and old. The figure, as seen from behind, stands less straight and gains a bit of a hunch. A walking stick appears in her hand.

As Peter goes to open the door that you recognize as leading back into the club, the cloaked figure walks up to him. He starts and turns around, and she walks to his side, showing Stephanie and Charlotte an old warty face with a huge bulbous nose.

In a voice that sounds similar to a dried out piece of paper collapsing to dust, she asks "pardon me, spare a meal and a room for an old lady from your bounty?"
    "This is it!" hissed Stephanie to Charlotte, giving her full attention.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

"This is it!" hissed Stephanie to Charlotte, giving her full attention.
    Peter answers her in much the same gruff tone he first used when addressing Stephanie. "Old woman, I don't know who you are or what you want, but you'd best get out of here, this is private property. Come with me."

He gestures for her to go through the door and they both do together, entering the dance club, which at this time period was more of a formal dining hall and ballroom, rather than a rave hall.

You could still hear them talk through the door from where you are in the corridor, but it might be helpful to get closer and see everything that happened within the club.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2013-01-02 at 02:50 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

Anna gives Rose a last squeeze and then lets her go. She nods at the statement, waves goodbye and walks over to the house. She doesn't turn any lights on, but Rose can see her pull out a small loose board to the right of the door, unlock the door, then put the hidden key back and go inside. At last a small light does go on in a downstairs window, though Anna's silhouette is the only one visible through the shade.
    Kalina stands outside and watches for a long time, not moving for anything in the world. Tears flow freely from her eyes, mixed with so many different emotions she can't begin to pinpoint which ones are in control. Fear and sadness and joy and... well, there's not much reason to hold any of it back anymore. So she doesn't, and watches.

Minutes tick by. Nothing really changes. Anna's home now and safe. Rose tries to imagine how her mother might be reacting right now, but it's difficult. She sighs and shakes her head. This family has not seen the last of her.

"I swear it."

She turns on her heels and walks away into the night. She has the name 'Paladin' and the location of a warehouse that might be used again as a drop off point. But that's not enough to go on. But how to ask for help without dragging anyone else into it? She flexes her wings, and winces. Not much chance of hiding that, huh miss smartypants?

"I need a weapon, too," She tells absolutely no one, "something I can actually fight with."

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Banned

Peter answers her in much the same gruff tone he first used when addressing Stephanie. "Old woman, I don't know who you are or what you want, but you'd best get out of here, this is private property. Come with me."

He gestures for her to go through the door and they both do together, entering the dance club, which at this time period was more of a formal dining hall and ballroom, rather than a rave hall.

You could still hear them talk through the door from where you are in the corridor, but it might be helpful to get closer and see everything that happened within the club.
    Well, wait a minute. You need to leave, now come on in? Charlotte thinks that perhaps The dreamer is changing things, out of embarrassment perhaps?

As the door slides closed behind them, Charlotte slides through the gap, taking in the decor and what any waitstaff visible are wearing, before peeling off her coat (and dress with it), revealing a trim combination of cartoon maid outfit and some of the more interesting fashions she had seen on her walks that would match the aesthetic.

Hanging the dress and coat on the nearest hook to the door, holds the portal open with her heel and follows the the dreary and his memory guest like she were supposed to be there.

22. - Top - End - #1012

This was what they were here to see. Stephanie didn't feel the need to change anything, just watch and take notes.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

A greek salad arrives, and he takes a pointed bite out of a large tomato covered with feta cheese while he composes his thought. "Seems to me," he says, swallowing, "seems to me that you had it pretty rough, but you still haven't quite told me what you're doing here with me, or with us, for that matter. Okay, something really ****ty happened to you. But now you want to come work for us. And you seem like Bob, at least that you have the power to turn the business around. So how does that work? Do you need people to do crazy stuff for you, or was Bob just screwing with us for kicks when I had to do the penny thing?"
    "To answer in reverse order: no, upon occasion, and I am here because a vocation is a right and proper thing to have. Without a job, one is dependent on charity, unless one so happens to be the heir to a fortune." A pause, a bite, a slight sigh. "To return to your later questions: we pick up different tricks in Fairyland. Not on purpose. Just inherently. If you are a fire, you will learn fire-things deep within your bones. But we all keep that ability to make promises into something magical, I think. Schwartz's magic was most likely a thing of fire and passion, so he was likable, he never needed a lighter, but that meant he had to make an oath to bring down luck, and oaths need counterbalances. Something for you to do in return. A lesser man might have been tempted to make it, 'as long as you obey my commands' or 'as long as you wingman for me whenever we have a hot customer'. But Bob thought like a fairy, and so it was pick up pennies, give them to charity."

Fork down, knife down. "As for myself? I am more of a fine manipulator. I listened to what the hearth says, when the wind outside howls and the lights are all dimmed. If I'm well-fed, I'm a good friend to have, and a worse enemy. Think of it as a personal skillset, not an unending outpouring of luck, and you'll fare better."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Hanging the dress and coat on the nearest hook to the door, holds the portal open with her heel and follows the the dreary and his memory guest like she were supposed to be there.
    This was what they were here to see. Stephanie didn't feel the need to change anything, just watch and take notes.
    He takes the old woman through the floor. They pass by several empty tables. Indeed, it seems that all the other guests are finishing up, leaving their money and leaving the club as Peter and the old woman walk through it. One table still has food on it and the witch stops and says "Ah, a fresh feast ready for me, how kind of you, child."

However, he growls and roughly pushes her onwards to the door that would lead out to the mortal world. "Old, woman, you have no right to intrude and you entered a place where you arrrre not allowed" he says, growling deeply on the guttural R. "Get out of my home, now."

"Ah, is that how things shall have to be, child?"

The club is hazy all of sudden. The memory dream seems to shift and solid things are suddenly not. The furniture inside is melting like a Salvador Dali painting, the walls are running, the ground shifting like quicksand.

Peter roars with anger and grabs the woman, hurling her bodily in an attempt to throw her out the door. Only he and the witch are still distinct, as the air itself seems to shimmer.

Once airborne, she begins to cackle, and her cloak flares out behind her, turning again to white and showing a tall, beautiful yet fey woman. Her voice echoes out in a deep, commanding tone. "Through all my ministrations, child, you never learn. Your hope remains as unattainable as ever."

She then begins to chant, intoning in a deep monotone.

“You who have broken the ancient law of hospitality, know this.

The price for transgression shall devour the gain
    redemption requires you forge blessing from bane.

Your debt shall be drawn from your mortal soul,
    till payment in kind you have paid as your toll.

A curse on your home, driven wild and weak.
    Embrace nobility if salvation you seek.

And fear, for the Wyrd knows your true intent.
    For each you reject a new debt is sent.”

As she finishes, the dream seems to fill with the sound of bells tolling, deep and thundering throughout the hall, echoing louder and louder and rushing upon Charlotte and Stephanie in a cacophonous crescendo, as they startle awake.

Peter is sitting on the bed, his fur still singed, but now soaked with sweat.

"Go" he says weakly, gasping for air, "come back in a few days, do what you will, I care not, but right now...go!"

Fork down, knife down. "As for myself? I am more of a fine manipulator. I listened to what the hearth says, when the wind outside howls and the lights are all dimmed. If I'm well-fed, I'm a good friend to have, and a worse enemy. Think of it as a personal skillset, not an unending outpouring of luck, and you'll fare better."
    "So why this vocation? What'd we do to attract a constant stream of 'touched' people?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

Marchande smiles. "I'm not at liberty to tell. But I do reiterate: I would feel much more comfortable if you went to the top to talk about Changelings and ensorcellments. The company's founder is still in charge, yes?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Marchande smiles. "I'm not at liberty to tell. But I do reiterate: I would feel much more comfortable if you went to the top to talk about Changelings and ensorcellments. The company's founder is still in charge, yes?"
    "Yeah, but how do you know he's in on it? I mean, don't you think it'd be better if you did it? If he's not, he'll probably fire me for being nuts and wasting his time."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, but how do you know he's in on it? I mean, don't you think it'd be better if you did it? If he's not, he'll probably fire me for being nuts and wasting his time."
    "Don't you trust me, Jason? I have my reasons for being unable to verify, one way or the other, but I strongly doubt you'll have such a hostile response. And if you do... maybe he's the sort of man who appreciate a good joke."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't you trust me, Jason?
    "Not really, I just met you" he cuts in. "Anyway, Rich is a great guy, but he's also running a wine business, and taking too much to your own product is a great way to lose a very nice job."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #1019

Peter is sitting on the bed, his fur still singed, but now soaked with sweat.

"Go" he says weakly, gasping for air, "come back in a few days, do what you will, I care not, but right now...go!"
    "The lady just said for each chance you reject a new debt will be sent," said Stephanie, demonstrating her creepy ability to go from fully asleep to fully awake without transition.

It only worked if she woke up at night. Getting up at dawn was a whole other story.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-02 at 08:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

"The lady just said for each chance you reject a new debt will be sent," said Stephanie, demonstrating her creepy ability to go from fully asleep to fully awake without transition.

It only worked if she woke up at night. Getting up at dawn was a whole other story.
    Peter doesn't seem particularly open to grasping Stephanie's obviously correct statement.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes