New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Chapter 3: Things better left alone

Chapter 3: Things better left alone

Standing before you is the barricade that manages to span the entirety of the road.

At first it seems like a pile of dilapidated wood and crumbling stone. But upon getting closer, and the 'guards' seem amicable to your approach, you see it is actually a clever disguise and in actuality it is a solidly constructed wall of pure stone, as if it were created from thin air.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft DC 25
    The wall is the result of a Wall of stone spell

Under the eye of the watchful men on the wall you approach the gate, which you see is a sliding gate that opens outwards, again made of stone.

"Who goes there?" a voice calls out from the 20ft or so wall, in a more than pleasant tone, surprisingly.

Taking a step forward Ma looks up to the man and responds in kind, after a small pause the gate opens and they usher you in, with eyes seeking out any movement down the street. The gate opens with a slowly ponderous rate and you wander what magic or might could move such a thing.

You walk inside and it is as if you walked into a completely different world, people are walking about, shop keeps are tending stalls and street rats are playing with a human skull in the side street.

Looking sideways you see the source of the might that had moved the gate, several looking creatures chained in a cage attached to a large wheel. You realize they are zombies and the wheel is attached to a series of pulleys that enable them to open the solid stone gate. Which slams shut behind you as you take in the life of this place.

Looking down the street, you can easily see a tavern by the tell tale hanging sign leaning out over the street, swaying slightly in the hustle and bustle of activity.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot DC 15
    The sign shows a buxom mermaid baring her breasts with bright red hair sitting atop a rock.
    Int DC 15
    Tis the Topless Mermaid me matey!
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-05-30 at 01:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Chapter 3: Things better left alone

"That's a Wall of Stone. The Cleric we're looking for probably cast it, and if he can do that, he's powerful enough to raise Zombies" I whispered to the others, as we passed through the gates.

Almost as soon as I'd said this, I heard the moaning of the Undead, and threw up my staff, preparing to spray forth jets of magical acid, but stopped when I saw them caged. I lowered my weapon, but I couldn't shake the feeling of nervousness.

I followed at the back of the group, keeping an eye out for trouble.

"I'd bet you anything those zombies are going to get out of those Cages and cause havoc" I said to the others off-handedly, while scanning the streets for any sign of the Pirate we'd been sent to find. I caught sight of the sign above the nearby Tavern depicting a Buxum Mermaid...sans clothing.

I blushed beet red, and looked away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+3)[22]
    Int (1d20+5)[7]

Oh, a sign with a mermaid wearing no clothing? Probably a different tavern than the one we're looking for

Spellcraft (1d20+11)[26]
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2012-05-31 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

The young half elf proceeds with utmost caution, his hand near the hilt of his weapon as the make their way into this part of the city.

The immediate difference shocks him. How can they live like this while the rest of us had to go through all that sneaking around and hiding? Or rather, how are they able to? Were they that prepared for this? Or are they that strong enough to defend themselves?

If it came to resources, then surely the elite part of town would have fared better. But as they have witnessed the days before, such is not the case.

What is it then?

One thing then surfaces in his mind, the most obvious reason. The cleric. But how? Is he that powerful? Looking at the wall, it is clearly formed from a spell, and a high level one. Maybe. But didn't he supposedly make that virus that turned people into zombies? How does that help make this? Realizing the futility of his thoughts, he focuses on looking around.

The first thing that catches his sights are the zombies all caged up and made to become power for some sort of machinery that seems to control the gates. As he observes them, he could not help notice his mixed emotions.

Surely it is right to put these horrible creatures in cages so they could not harm any person anymore. But if one thinks about it, weren't they living people before? They were citizens of Cloud at one point. It was not their fault to be caught up in this mess. The cruelty of being enslaved by your hunger. But would it even matter then? Would you still be conscious at that point? Rather, the most effect would be on those left behind who could one day be on the receiving end of that insatiable hunger who would then be making that choice of ending what is left of you.

The earlier incident with old Mister Piero flashes back to him, and he shakes his head and sighs.

If I became like them, what would become of me?

Needless worries. No time for pondering on what will happen. They are here now. And they are looking for the pirate now. Right. He should focus on that.

He looks around again, looking for clues on where to start their search. Just then, a swaying signpost of what seems to be a tavern catches his attention. Focusing on it, he could make out a figure of a woman. No, not a woman, for the lower half of it, from the waist down, is covered in what seems to be scales, ending in a split caudal fins. A fish tail.

A mermaid?

But rather than the fish tail, what the young boy is looking at right then is the upper half of the maiden, which upon further inspection seems to be without clothing. It is naked.

Feeling himself fluster and his cheeks become hot, he diverts his eyes and look at Annalyn as she speaks about the zombies. As if to hide his thoughts, he replies.

"Well, I hope they don't. Haven't we had enough of them already? Besides, if what we thought is right, then it would be the living that would be causing havoc, if ever there would be one," he says with a bitter smile.

Deep in his mind, the image of the topless mermaid is still ingrained. But not in an inappropriate sense. He tries to, but can't make himself wrap around it.

Topless mermaid. Somehow he should know something about it. But what?

Spoiler
    Show
    WOOOO!! Chapter 3!! And to celebrate this momentous occasion, a wall of text for my first post!!!

On another note, craptastic rolls when it comes to int check. We clearly have forgotten about the Topless Mermaid, haven't we?
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-05-31 at 06:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, lets see if Ralph can figure this out.
    Spot:(1d20+6)[7]
    Int:(1d20+2)[17]
    Post pending answer OOC, Sorry
    Last edited by Sparrow; 2012-05-31 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMageTim View Post
    So I decide to take a break for one day and the party is already trying to kill each other...AND Sam's not even involved? I'm confused
    Credit to Terry576 for the davesprite avatar

5. - Top - End - #5

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    perception
    (1d20+3)[9]
    int
    (1d20+4)[24]
    spellcraft
    (1d20+10)[29]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh...so Ma remembers the name but she doesn't see the blooming sign.

After answering the guards questions, Ma enters the world behind the barricade.

Glancing around, Huh..it's almost as if nothing has changed. she says, but then spotting the zombie wheel, "well, nothing but that anyway." She shudders. I don't know which would be worse, to become a zombie, mindless and unknowing, or to retain a semblance of self and end up caged like an animal. She shudders again.

She draws herself up and continues to look around. "So, let's go find this pirate, shall we?"
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-05-31 at 08:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler
    Show
    Just gonna post a new post

Ralph entered, following Ma past the wall of stone. As he past the wall, he had to stop a moment to take in the huge change from the lifeless part of the city from which they entered to the busy city life in which most of the group was accustomed to.
    So I decide to take a break for one day and the party is already trying to kill each other...AND Sam's not even involved? I'm confused

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

"Right. That," he replies to Ma. "Say, where did Oakenstaff say the pirate stayed again?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyera walks into the city in a daze, aware all to vividly of its tender grasp on survival.
    Here we fall.
    Three feet of conjured stone stands between the last remnants and a long, slow, inevitable death. Three feet of abjured wall blocks any escape. Three hundred thousand necromitated zombies roam our own streets, ready to add to their ever growing number.
    Here we die.
    It is almost a farce, the peace. I know all to well the sting of death, the feeling of cutting pain and searing loss.
    Here we stand.
    Slavers had taught me to know danger, to know it as a smell, as a touch, as a sound.
    Here we lie.
    It screamed in the air, crushes in on me. If not the gods, then WHO? If the great could not succeed, then how the least? If the mighty have fallen, what can the weak hope?
    No hope to be found.
    Still oblivion. Did not the people here know that their lives were in daily peril? Did they trust their evil overlord, or the protections but a stone's throw from their houses?
    No life left to live.
    No, they could not. Here was the tacit understanding of death. The lying down of a wounded wolf. The surrender of a starving fortress. The last stand of the hopeless, the downtrodden, the overwhelmed, the weak, the starving, the unable.
    So let us die. Let us fall. Let us stand. Let us lie.
    For that is what we are.
    But to what? To why? To whom?
    And that is why we fight.

If you see this, "accidentally" put text in red in your next post.
    Spoiler
    Show

This existential goth thing is easier than I thought! Either that, or Requiem for a Dream is the best song ever written.

Also, all grammar mistakes are intentional. Perhaps I'll tell you later.

Also:
    [roll]
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-06-01 at 02:07 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #9

Griffon

Ma scratches her head.

"Mermaid something..." Moraine replies. "No..something mermaid." She closes her eyes thinking back through the last few days. "The Topless Mermaid? Does that sound right?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

"Topless Mermaid..."
    he mumbles.

He looks back at the odd sign, and again feels the heat on his cheeks. It does indeed resemble a mermaid, but topless? Maybe because it has no upper garments?

He hesitates; it would be too embarrassing if he were mistaken. Ultimately, he decides to point them out to it anyway.

"Uhm, is that a topless mermaid?" he says, pointing at the sign.

11. - Top - End - #11

Ralph looks at the sign that he must of missed because there it was hanging above the bustling streets. "Yes Lucien, that is probably what a topless mermaid looks like, although, I've never seen one myself. I believe that is where we should be headed."

Ralph tries to guess what kind of person hangs outs in a tavern called 'The Topless Mermaid'. And from there, begins to make out how to approach such a man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember when I said that Ralph enjoys learning psychology? This is where that comes in.
    Last edited by Sparrow; 2012-06-04 at 12:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

"I guess. At least it seems to be some tavern. Even if that person is not there, maybe we could ask somebody there about him. Though I think we should be cautious about asking. This place just screams fishy."

How should a city sector seemingly so unaffected compared to the rest of the city appear to a young half-elf boy? Yup. Fishy alright.

13. - Top - End - #13

Griffon

Ma suddenly smiles and laughs.

"Fishy, Lucien? Pun intended, I hope." She grins suddenly feeling lighter. It's amazing what a bit of humour can do. "But yes, I do think we should go carefully."

14. - Top - End - #14

"Careful? Definitely. One wrong move, and they'll sic the zombies on us." Ralph replied.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyera snapped back to reality with a visible tic, her entire body twitching for a moment. "Uh, I doubt it'll be that severe. Besides, we aren't going to do any harm."

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

"Pun? Oh, uhm, yeah. Ha ha ha! Good thing you got that. I was worried my awesome wit would have gone to waste,"
    he says with a huge grin.

Pun? Fishy?

Oh! Mermaid. Fish. Riiiiiight.

"Anyways, it's not that we'd be doing anything bad. It can't be helped. We're 'outsiders'. And I expect everyone to be paranoid. We all are."

"Heck, if they don't act paranoid, that wouldn't be right as well."

17. - Top - End - #17

"If they're confident enough, or stupid enough, to not be paranoid, then we have a whole 'nother set of problems on our hands" I added, watching the zombie cages warily. I could still feel the red in my cheeks, and I shook my head. The city was going through the apocalypse, we were in a shanty town powered by undead labour and ruled by a Cleric of Orcus who presumably had the power to squish us like bugs and here I am, still embarrassed because I saw a racey picture of a mermaid.

"Shall we go in, then? Maybe this Pirate can tell us something about what's going on, that's still relevant after...you know, everything" I shrugged, blowing some hair out of my eyes.

I caught the Ioun Stone orbiting my head and pocketed it, and started to walk towards the tavern

Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

As the group walked under the gaudy sign and entered, Alyera's eyes adjust slowly to the dim light of the tavern.

Glancing around, she tries to spot anyone who could be identified as a "pirate."
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception:
    (1d20+6)[26]
    Would he look similar to a slaver...?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

Ma squares her shoulders and follows the others into the tavern. Looking for anything that resembles a pirate.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

You all move underneath the swaying sign of the Topless Mermaid and push through the heavy oaken door, it is obvious that the door was designed to make the tavern an impenetrable fortress....or something akin if the case would arise.
    It would also seem like the need did indeed arise as the door stands with fresh scars, scratches had been made as if from human hands.

The door moves aside and bids you welcome to the a musty, moldy smelling tavern room, not unlike many other taverns in the realm.

You see a large common room with the ceiling reaching all the way to the second story roof, the bar is at the back with stairs flanking it on either side and a balcony overhanging it, hallways lead to the rear of the building and it is not hard to realize where the rooms are located.

Several people are lounging around tables talking, a singer is standing on the stage to your left singing a raucous song, people line the bar on the other side of the room and no one gives you even a glance as you enter.

You see several people who look like they could be pirates (or slavers), one has a peg leg and a vicious hook for a hand, it glimmers in the firelight of the fireplace. Another sits at the bar and with a long black salt grimy coat and a tricorne hat grumbling to himself and his mug.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Calling him a pirate sure is specific, now isn't it?" Alyera mutters. "So, where to now?" She thinks for a moment, and treads lightly on the rotting floor, making her way to the bar. Good thing you're tiny, eh?

"Good sir, we seek someone..." She pulls out a gold piece and spins it on the hard wood of the counter, letting it twirl for a few times to emphasize. "For whom we have... inadequate information. Is this a place to get some?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming a GP should help. I can smack down five or ten if need be.

Diplomacy:
    (1d20+11)[21]

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

"Looks like it's the other set of problems we have on our hands," he whispers to Annalyn without looking at her. He takes in the detail of the inside of the Topless Mermaid without a blink. The mood. The attitudes of the patrons. Somehow, it's just so different, like there's nothing crazy going on outside, even at its own door.

He brushes the thoughts aside and focuses on the task at hand. Which one of these pirate-looking thugs is the pirate they are looking for?

"How do we go about this? We can't simply go up and ask for One-eyed Burt, can we?"

And just as he finishes his sentence he sees Alyera doing exactly that. "Apparently we can," he says with a shake of the head and a smirk on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Retcon check. I just scoured our previous threads and found out that the actual spelling of the Topless Mermaid is the toplles Mermade. Fun fact of the day.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-06-13 at 01:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Griffon

Ma smiles. "I suppose so." She shrugs and slowly makes her way to the bar. Standing near Alyera but not right over top of her, she leans on her staff and waits.
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-06-14 at 07:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The bartender looks at you with almost disdain as you approach, but his eyes light up as he looks down on you and your gold. The gleam in your eye would normally scare you if you were alone, but you are not and the reassuring shadow of Ma stands close to you.

"Good sir? Eh, that ain't what I is HAR! Me name is Beznik, be the bartender oh the Fat whench on dat board hangin outside!" He scratches himself, reaching farther down his backside than most would in public, having to lean backwards to accommodate the reach. "That real?" he asks, grabbing the coin and biting into it. Looking happy enough he pockets the coin and looks to you "Well, easiest coin I ever did earn, whaddya need nowin?"

Several people in the room stir at the sight of naked gold and the muttering in the rooms dim slightly, as if as a whole the room is listening to your every word. The man with the tricorne hat turns to you and gives you one of the ugliest looks you have seen, You would have sworn this man would slice your throat steel everything on your body without blinking, and he stunk of the sewer.

But so did you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyera grins and slips up on the bar, confident of her friends. "I saw some sidelong looks from the other people here. May not be a nice crowd, but you all know how to handle them." She leans backwards on the stool, getting comfortable. Slowly, agonizingly slowly, her gaze pans across the room with a discerning, obviously judging eye. Raising an eyebrow at the tricorne pirate, she winks slyly and whips around to the barkeep. "Beznik, is it? Well met. Me and those here have recently traversed the city and fought off a lich. They'd like some refreshment first. On me." Another gold piece hits the counter.

"As to that information, we seek a pirate. But not just any pirate."

Spoiler
    Show

TIME FOR AN EPIC POSE! And then talking. Anyone who wants to step in, do so. Just remember, our reputations with a bunch of tough people is on the line, we need to look badass. So, look tough, if possible. Lucien...?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm pretty good at reading people; its just something that always came easily to me.

But I'd have had to be blind and death to miss the change in attitude when Alyera had taken out the gold coin. I looked around at now quiet bar and grinned, twirling my staff around lazily. I turned to Lucien and grinned.

Tapping the length of knotted wood on the ground, I let out a trickle of magic, conjuring up a small green fireball in my hand, which I lightly tossed up in the air and deftly caught. Hopefully the more drunken patrons would have enough sense not to attack the group that was casually tossing around magical fire.

I turned to the Bartender as he took Alyera's second coin "Just water for me, thanks. Bad things tend to happen with open flames and Alcohol, after all..."

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched the man in the tricorne hat warily

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation is the greatest spell ever, don't you think?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien

Lucien could only smile inwardly at how the situation had developed. So we are taking this route. Oh well, can't be helped. I don't have any other idea anyway. Might as well go with it.

Ladies. You never know what they're gonna come up with.

"Hey, hey, easy with the fire balls. What are we, fighting a lich here or something? We're just talking here, right?" he says with a smirk.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeeper looks to you with another gleam in his eye, this time even more profound as you draw out yet another gold coin, grabbing it again and biting it he nods feverishly "Aye! O'Course," he turns to his barmaid and ushers her to go about the business of serving you.

He then turns back to you with a raised eyebrow "A pirate eh?, well'n, I'm sure we can find you a pirate to fit yur needs, what kind o pleasure you lookin...never mind that, I'm sure any Pirate ineer would do what tever you asked o'them!" he says, completely oblivious that he had mistaken the request.

The Pirate in the tricorne hat mumbles to himself and turns away from you all, leaning heavily on the bar and drinking more of the bottle he holds in his hand.

The others in the common room almost shut up entirely and several mouths fall slacken, agape at the demonstration of magical prowess. Unsure what to do, many leave, while others start nervously talking again, filling the room with noise once more.

The barkeep looks to Alyera almost about to yell at her when she asks for water "Water? Sorry miss, but we aint got no water ere, tis Grogg, whiskey and gin what we got ere!" He seems to finish every sentence off as if it were a declaration. He continues "An stop playing with yur fancy fire o'yours, I ad a hard nuff time keeping this place t'gether with effrythink going on!"
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-06-16 at 10:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyera nods to the man, and to the rest. "Lucien, tell our good friend here everything you know about the pirate." She leans back to the illusionist "I can't remember a thing. You?"

Spoiler
    Show

So far so good. Also, no magic. Derp de derp. Please tell me Lucien can remember SOMETHING.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #30

Griffon

Ma leans back and whispers to Lucien...

Wasn't there something about an eyepatch...and didn't he live around here or hang out where a bunch of pirates hung out?

Why would pirates all hang out together?

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: All I can remember is something about him only having one-eye and living around this bar?
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-06-18 at 08:05 AM.