New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Fortune

1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune

Jacinth giggles around her last mouthful of rabbit, then tosses some meat and the leftover bones and entrails to the dogs. She then sprawls out at a safe distance from the fire, lays her head on her backpack, and appears to fall asleep immediately.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plan sounds good. Will I get my eight hours sleep to replenish my bard musics even if it's broken up by the watch?

2. - Top - End - #542
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey and Arf both lay around the fire for the next two hours, with Whiskey stalking off to one side of the camp to stoke the fire occasionally.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot Checks
    Whiskey +8
    Arf +5
    Listen Checks
    Whiskey +3
    Arf +5

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan moves in towards the welcome heat of the fire on his belly. Even the sight of it makes him warm. He gets to about a hundred meters away, and scopes out the group with his spyglass.

Spoiler
    Show

Far enough away that you can't see me??

He stiffens slightly at the sight of the goblin, but other than that he's just nonplussed. More adventurers. Mayhap I can join up with them. He hopes fervently they're sturdier and more trustworthy than the last ones.

Using the light of the fire to navigate, Duncan hunkers down behind the curvature of a hill and watches them for the rest of the night until he nods off.
    Last edited by !rorak; 2012-08-02 at 07:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

The night passes uneventfully. As Duncan sleeps unobserved in the grass several hundred feet away, Thårin watches the sky grow light at the end of his watch before the sun creeps over the horizon. The morning is chilly and grey, but a few bright rays from the sun find their way through the clouds and wake Duncan, Whiskey, Arf, Valette, and Jacinth.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Last Night

Valette yawns and mutters as Jacinth wakes her up. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she gets out her spell book and moves to put her back against a thick tree. Opening the book, she settles down to wait, Eyne swooping silently through shadowed trees above.

An hour passes, as Valette waits with the patience of the grave. Finally certain that everyone slept, she stands and raises the hem of her robe off the ground as she softly moves over to Lomgrik's helpless body. Crouching over him, she kneels to grasp his neck with both hands. The goblin's eyes open wide with shock and he struggles in vain against Valette's weight bearing down on him. His eyes were the same brown as her brother, she noticed. Almost childlike. Not understanding how this could happen. Arnoux had looked at her the same way. Her hands tightened. She had never strayed from what had to be done.

She held her grip long after his thrashing stilled. When she was finally certain, she stood. Red and purple blotching had swollen the area around Lomgrik's throat. Valette carefully lifted the corpse over her shoulder, then headed towards the cliff to dispose of his body.

Upon her return, she sits back in her spot under the tree, and whispers the words necessary for a Mage Hand. Unseen force gathered, and she directed it toward slowly pulling out tufts of long grass, arranging it under Lomgrik's bedroll. In the faint light, it was a good approximation of a sleeping goblin. Her work done, she shifts uncomfortably against the tree to finish her watch.

By the flickering fire, Valette's eyes rested unseeing on the page of the tome in front of her, her mind lost to memories of days past. When her watch was done and Thårin grumpily poked the fire with a stick of kindling, her eyes remained open for a long time.

Valette stirs and rubs her eyes blearily, feeling near as tired as when she began her rest. She hides a yawn behind a hand, content for now to remain in her blankets instead of braving the chill air.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2013-02-01 at 12:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth buries her face in her pack, trying to fall back asleep. Unable to do so, she rolls onto her back and hangs her head off the end of her pack. Looking upside-down at Valette, she asks "where did you even get a blanket?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously though, we didn't have one in our inventory.

She starts to look for her mirror and comb, then abandons her search. "Ugh, whatever," she says irritably. "Seems like another full schedule of grass and hills and pointless wandering, and the looming specter of death, and also a complete lack of anything resembling a nightlife. It's not like we're going to meet anyone interesting today."

Spoiler
    Show
    DUN DUN DUN DRAMATIC IRONY...I hope.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin, already invigorated after having been awake for two hours, eats a slice of kram before gathering his things to restart the journey.

Spoiler
    Show
    James, how far away from the mountains (in hours) are we now?
    Last edited by lando_zeus; 2012-08-03 at 12:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Valette ignores the question, having forgotten herself where the blanket came from. She tries to run her fingers through her hair and sighs, feeling the lack of a hairbrush, but too proud to ask to borrow Jacinth's.

9. - Top - End - #549

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Geography - (1d20+4)[20], trying to remember what would be the fastest route to a town, any town.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey, in contrast to Jacinth, comfortably flops onto his side when he stretches his legs and opens his mouth to yawn. Standing and shaking off some residual dirt he pads around the leftover embers of the fire with his snout to the ground. Arf soon follows suit after his bright northern eyes blink open, and rises to his feet, wandering around the camp site to systematically lick every member of the party in the face.

Whiskey pauses and actually looks up, quietly surveying the skies.

Spoiler
    Show

I noticed in the Survival skill this: "Predict the weather up to 24 hours in advance. For every 5 points by which your Survival check result exceeds 15, you can predict the weather for one additional day in advance." I rolled 21 on my last survival check and 27 on the one before that, so... What's the meteorology looking like? =3

11. - Top - End - #551
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh, fine." Jacinth says as Arf licks her face. Her spirits lifted, she gives him a hug. Noticing Valette trying to finger-comb her hair, Jacinth gets out her mirror and comb... and proceeds to comb her own hair as luxuriously as she can, humming happily.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Orc in the Playground

As he has for every day for the past several months now, Duncan's instincts wake him a little before dawn. He doesn't know when the others are going to start heading out, so he does what he can for food.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival check. [/roll]d20+1[/roll]

If it's not high enough to get any tree roots/etc, Duncan's got three days' worth of trail rations left so he eats breakfast from those.

Duncan goes through his supplies, finding he has only three days worth of rations left. He glances back at where the party has camped, along with what appear to be two very well trained hunting dogs.

He doesn't make a decision. As always, there isn't really one to make.

Duncan heads over towards where the party is camped.

"Morning!" Duncan calls, with more lightness than he feels. "If you're heading for a city, I'd like to come with."

13. - Top - End - #553

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lando_zeus View Post
    James, how far away from the mountains (in hours) are we now?
    You estimate another day and a half of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeti View Post
    [roll0], trying to remember what would be the fastest route to a town, any town.
    You know that if those are indeed the Ayol mountains ahead that there will be settlements (and even some cities) there. The Ayos are a massive range.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkyTheClown View Post
    I noticed in the Survival skill this: "Predict the weather up to 24 hours in advance. For every 5 points by which your Survival check result exceeds 15, you can predict the weather for one additional day in advance." I rolled 21 on my last survival check and 27 on the one before that, so... What's the meteorology looking like? =3
    Cold and grey, but probably not going to rain within the next day.

In the future, you'll technically need to make a new roll for each different task that you're using the skill for... otherwise that's a lot of different tasks that could all succeed or fail depending on a single roll.

I just rolled the check for Duncan, he's eating rations today.

Before Arf has a chance to bring his special wake-up call to any of the other party members besides Jacinth, a voice calls out from behind the tall grass on a nearby hill. A Man is approaching.

14. - Top - End - #554

Valette scrambles upright and grabs her quarterstaff warily. She says nothing, watching him for threatening signs. Could this be the Seeker? Has he found us so soon? The Seeker would just haul us back to prison, unless he has subtler designs..
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-08-03 at 09:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

Arf, just about to slobber onto Valette, perks his head up and begins barking at the newcomer instinctively. Whiskey turns calmly and eyes the unfamiliar man curiously and carefully, edging close enough (About Valette's distance) to cause his animal companion to stop barking, reduced to a cautious "Wff..." or two.

From there, Whiskey just observes, careful and ready though not in a threatening manner. I hope no one says anything too ridiculous. I suppose my curse is also my blessing. Praise Ehlonna...

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth glances at her party, cringes, then quickly returns the mirror and comb to the bag. She grabs the knife and quickly stows it in her belt, pulling her shirt over it.

Spoiler
    Show
    sleight of hand (1d20+2)[14]

She then turns towards the newcomer.

"Oh, thank goodness!" she calls, and laughs shakily. "I thought we'd be trapped in these hills forever. Are you native to this country? We could sorely use a guide. My companions and I" - she turns and gestures towards them, trying to convey don't talk with her expression - "well, it's just been one disaster after the next. Oh, she'll be so furious with me! It's horrible, just horrible." She laughs shakily and anxiously twists a lock of hair. "Please, do say you can help us!"

Spoiler
    Show

bluff + 5
    gather information + 6
    diplomacy + 6
    disguise +3, if necessary

17. - Top - End - #557
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan shrugged. "I ain't native, I can tell you that. Me and my party woke up in a dungeon, maybe a few weeks ago. I'm the only one who got out. And I'm thinking the same thing happened to you lot."

Spoiler
    Show

I think I'm going to have to retcon the amount of time Duncan spent in the hills if there's towns a week or so away.

"I've been living off the grasslands since. I don't have the gear to get through those mountains alive. So I figured I'd wait for some more adventurers. I know enough about these lands to get by, though. Maybe I can shave a few days off your journey, if you'll take me with you."

It occurs to Duncan that this is more than he's said at once in about three months. He shifts uncomfortably.

"Who're you? And who's the 'she' you're talking about?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive to see if Duncan spots the knife?
    (d20+1)[18]

Also, I'm away for the rest of the weekend, so you may have to move this along without me somehow.

Knowledge(geography) test given Duncan's ranks there--assuming he does try to be a guide:
    [roll][d20+5[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #558
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, trying again.

(d20+5)[20]

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth looks shocked. "A dungeon! Oh my." She laughs breathily and twists her hair more violently. "Oh, mother warned me if I left I'd fall in with the worst sort..." she mutters under her breath. She then licks her lips and swallows.

"Well, we do need help, whoever it's from. I am Sophie, training to be a lady's maid. I serve Lady Linnet. The dwarf is a... hired guard, Aodh. My fellow lady's maid, Petronille - called Pip-Pip." She turns to Valette and waggles her eyebrows out of the man's sight. Then, pointing, "The dogs... well, I don't have much to do with dogs, but they were separated with us. Please, how did you learn about this land, if you're not local? All these hills look the same to me, I never had a head for geography and we've been so turned around since the goblins came upon us and -" her voice breaks and she covers her mouth, as if to keep from sobbing.

Spoiler
    Show
    MORE IN-CHARACTER LYING

bluff (1d20+5)[11]
    gather information (1d20+6)[12]
    diplomacy (1d20+6)[9]
    disguise (1d20+3)[11], if necessary

20. - Top - End - #560

Pip-pip treats Sophie to an icy glare, then turns to smile as brightly as a bleached skull to Duncan. "Yes, we are ever so lost. It's so easy to get turned around in these hills. Aodh, why don't you and this man get directions sorted out, while I have a word with my.. With Sophie."

Valette stands and strides ten feet away, clearly expecting Sophie to follow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Valette is pretending to act like a noblewoman acting like a lady's maid, in case Duncan gets suspicious by the fact that we're ladies maids in the middle of the wilderness without a lady, and not keen to go looking for "the Lady Linnet."

That's a bluff check I guess? Bluff - (1d20+4)[14]

21. - Top - End - #561
    Orc in the Playground

'Aodh' turns to Duncan, and with one hand on the hilt of an axe, points towards the mountains.

"South."

He grabs his things and starts towards the mountains

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless we're going to try find more food or something before we leave.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth obeys. When she gets to Valette she says quietly "dammit, I should have known Meek Servant would be a bad one. What do you want?"
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-08-05 at 04:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563

"Pip-Pip?" hisses Valette through a false grin. "And what if he asks where this Lady Linnet is? We're in the middle of nowhere!"
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-08-05 at 05:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Orc in the Playground

"Pip Pip, actually." Glancing at Duncan, Jacinth holds and pats Valette's hands as though to comfort her. "We were separated from Lady Linnet when our wagons were attacked by goblins. Aodh got the both of us out, and took a goblin hostage, but we've been lost and unable to find them, or even if they still live. We're heading to the nearest city to send word home. Complain all you like, but it's better than 'oh, we're a rag-tag group being pursued by various powerful enemies! Let me tell you all about it.' "

She rolls her eyes. "If you like, you can go tell him I was lying and threaten him or something. Classy and subtle, just like you. "
    Last edited by Shakedown; 2012-08-05 at 05:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565

The party packs up their meager possessions and prepares to move, but Lomgrik remains curled up inside the improvised bedded that he had fashioned last night using Sam's pants that the drawf had saved from the dungeon. The goblin's form beneath the fabric is still, apparently quite fast asleep.

26. - Top - End - #566

"And what if he is the Seeker? Such a coincidence, to run into a man who has knowledge of the dungeon in which we were imprisoned, and offers to guide us. Fool girl. Trust is the creeping vine that pulls down a fortress wall." Still beaming brightly like they were chatting about nothing important, Valette stalks back to her blankets and begins to stuff them back into her backpack. She's one to talk, a shrieker fungus has more class and subtlety than her, Valette thinks angrily as she ignores the little voice that says Jacinth has a point.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2012-08-06 at 05:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Orc in the Playground

Thårin gives the bundle of Lomgrik a soft kick with his foot, then unbundles Lomgrik and the pants.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth sighs. "Yes, generally one lies to people that one doesn't trust. Look, I don't know how to get out of the Dunnlunns and apparently nor do you. Personally, I'd imagine the Seeker to look less like someone who's been starving out in the wilderness, so I'll take a chance on this guy rather than wander around the grasslands for the rest of my days." She runs a hand through her hair. "It's too early in the day for this. I'm going to see if Thårin has anything to drink." She joins the rest of the party and gets ready to go.

Spoiler
    Show

daytime draaanks

29. - Top - End - #569
    Orc in the Playground

Arf, satisfied that danger has been averted, sneaks his nose under Lomgrik's covers and covers his face with licks until he stirs.

Whiskey meanwhile, in course of beginning to follow alongside Thårin, also stops by the goblin and watches him expectantly.

30. - Top - End - #570

Thårin finds that the bulk inside the pants gives way to his foot too easily. Lifting up the bundle, he finds that it has been stuffed with a large amount of the thick, dry grass that covers the land. The goblin is nowhere to be seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hehe, the bulk inside the pants...