New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1363

Thread: Strange Fortune

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Fortune

Duncan's rapier scores a hit on the gelatin blob, spattering more acidic ooze on to the floor. The ooze looks about half the size it was in the beginning.

It shows no sign of weakness though, and lunges forwards. The wizard statue looks much less graceful when it is completely slime covered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Duncan, Jacinth, and Arf must roll reflex saves to get out of the way, OR can roll an attack of opportunity and allow themselves to be engulfed.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2014-10-06 at 06:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1172

Duncan and Arf are swept up in the tide of surging ooze. The rest of the party can see their shocked, wide eyes through the semi-translucent body wall of the cube. Their flailing movements are hampered by the thick gelatin surrounding them. Jacinth dances aside and nimbly stabs the ooze in one smooth motion. It jiggles, but seems more hurt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Duncan and Arf must roll a fortitude save. They are both considered grappled.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan flails.

Spoiler
    Show

(d20+2)[9]

4. - Top - End - #1174

Duncan flails urgently for a moment, but quickly subsides. His limbs feel heavy, and soon he cannot move at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Duncan is paralyzed for 14 rounds! Whiskey's turn! remember to fort save for arf

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey moves briskly out of the way and with a growl, a new ball of fire materializes to replace the one that had only just fizzled out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whiskey 5 foot steps to Q14.
    Whiskey moves from Q14 to P17.
    Whiskey casts Flaming Sphere.
    Fire Damage - (2d6)[10]

Arf's fortitute save.
    (1d20+5)[13]

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Pixie in the Playground

Yasha runs up to the ooze and strikes at it with his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[18]

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Pixie in the Playground

Yasha whacks the ooze
    (1d8+2)[4]

8. - Top - End - #1178

The ooze is solidly whacked. It is sagging and leaking goo, and it appears to be on its last legs. It slams into Jacinth, splashing her with acid as it does so. The place in which Jacinth was struck starts to become numb immediately.
    Spoiler
    Show

Duncan and Arf take (1d6)[3] damage from acid.
    duncan is paralyzed for quite a while yet. Mia needs to roll a fortitude save on her turn!

Jacinth
    Whiskey
    Yasha
    Cube
    Last edited by Aeti; 2014-10-22 at 10:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth attacks the cube.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort save! (1d20+1)[13]
    attack:(1d20+1)[3]
    damage(1d6)[2]

I think my magic bard story is over now so no additional mod for me

also SORRY GUYS for not posting, I didn't realize it had had been so crazy! October is Halloween Month = madness for me

10. - Top - End - #1180

Jacinth lunges forwards, but the numb feeling spreads quickly throughout her body. Halfway through her thrust, her muscles lock up into numb rigidity. She falls forwards, completely paralyzed.

Spoiler
    Show
    no worries! It's been midterm/papers last couple of weeks for me. Also, bad news about your fort save. You are paralyzed for (3d6)[16] rounds

WHISKEY

yasha
    cube

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey nervously fixates on the creature as it downs several of his companions, and the fire persists.
    Arf, predictably, does exactly what someone who is paralyzed would do in this situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flaming Sphere
    Fire Damage - (2d6)[5]
    Reflex negates all damage.
    DC: 15
    Rounds remaining: 2

12. - Top - End - #1182

The ooze manages to avoid the flaming sphere, and takes no damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yasha's turn!

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Pixie in the Playground

Yasha attempts to finish off the ooze with his mace.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[17]
    (1d8+2)[4]

14. - Top - End - #1184

Yasha's mace smashes into the ooze, which clings to life by a slimy thread. It weakly smacks the cleric with its pseudopod.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It deals 3 damage (1 plus 2 acid). Roll a fortitude save or be paralyzed, matt. oh godddd
    Last edited by Aeti; 2014-11-17 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey eyes the door through the gelatinous mass, poised and ready to lead a cat and mouse chase, his options having run out.
    The last glimmer of hope continues to burn next to the creature for a moment longer...

Spoiler
    Show
    Whiskey is readying a move action depending on what the cube does.
    Flaming Sphere
    Fire Damage - (2d6)[7]
    Reflex negates all damage.
    DC:15
    Rounds remaining: 1

16. - Top - End - #1186

The ball of flame burns the last drops of liquid out of the ooze. It blackens and shrivels, shuddering as it curls into a scorched lump. The limbs of Duncan and Arf stick rigidly out of the charred solid. Whiskey is left alone in a room full of statues. He sets about to pulling Duncan and Arf out of the char. After a few minutes, the rest of the party begins to feel the gradual return of life to their limbs.

The burned husk of the gelatinous cube contains nothing valuable. Duncan returns to the small lock in the wall, theives tools at hand. He gets it open easily, revealing the dusty contents of a secret safe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for loot now! will update post when Im finished! Also hooray! TPK avoided!

You find within the safe 600 gold pieces, a masterwork short sword, a breastplate, and an average lock. If you have appraise you can attempt to find out their worth.
    Everyone is now free to act! (Combat has ended)
    Last edited by Aeti; 2014-11-25 at 04:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey makes the rounds to assess everyone's injuries.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno who's the most beaten up but I still have lots of heals.
    Last edited by DrunkyTheClown; 2014-11-25 at 09:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan re-animates gradually, blinking away teared and blurred vision first before errant reflexive muscle twitches become clumsy but voluntary movement.
    "Caaaaa...."
    He rolls onto his back, gasping, trying to form words. After minutes he manages.
    "...Coulda been killed. I coulda been killed!"
    Duncan stares at the ceiling for one long moment. Finally he pulls himself into a sitting position, apparently deep in thought. Eventually he reaches under his tunic and pulls off a necklace hidden under his shirt.
    The chain is cheap copper, something Duncan has apparently salvaged off of some old gear. There's a link that's obviously been made to join another by amatuerish brute force and makeshift tools so that the chain forms a necklace. There's a ring dangling on the end of it that is none of these things. It's fine-crafted silver, and even after months in Duncan's care the metal still glimmers in the poor light. There's writing that wreathes and circumnavigates the whole of it, and it's embossed with the emblem of what appears to be a noble house.
    It's a signet ring.
    Duncan tries to make eye contact with anyone nearby. "If this happens ta me again, or somethin' worse... Someone's gotta take this offa my body. Get it to Caspria, find the house of Peloran. Tell 'em it was Oban's, tell 'em 'e died bravely or some worthless ****e like that. Tell 'em... Tell 'em he died saving my life."

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Orc in the Playground

The large snow dog, who had been swept up alongside Duncan by the might of the semi solid monster, twitches and shudders into motion. He shakily rises, and wriggles away some of the caramelized foe, then peaks his head downward to lick the burnt cube flesh off Duncan's face with a long flat tongue.

Whiskey, finding his companions to be relatively unscathed, sits down to address an itch behind his ear with a feisty hind leg.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Orc in the Playground

"Eugh. Dammit. Alright, that's good too."

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Orc in the Playground

Jacinth scoots awkwardly towards Duncan as the feeling returns to her limbs. She takes the ring from his hands and inspects it closely, then looks up into his face. "Was he with you back in the Dunnlunns? People don't go into our line of work because they want to live forever. For whatever reason he saved you, but he's dead now so he can't tell us. You want to repay him? Stop dwelling, keep your focus, stay alive, and tell them yourself."

She tucks the ring back into his shirt, pats him on the cheek, and winks. "Now help me get this monster goo out of my hair. I can't fight well if I don't feel pretty."

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Orc in the Playground

"Yeah, fair enough," says Duncan after a second.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Orc in the Playground

After getting the monster goo out of her hair, Jacinth heads into the next room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen/Spot

24. - Top - End - #1194

The party makes its way through the door. You step into a grand, six sixed chamber, like something out of a palace. You can see that originally there were six grand passageways leading out of this place, but two across the room are filled with the rubble of long-collapsed stone. The roof is a wide dome supported by six massive arches of stone that come together in the centre of the ceiling. A delicate crystal chandelier hangs in that center point, still catching more light than dust even after all these years. The middle of the room is dominated by a wide circular pit. You can't see the bottom from where you are, but it looks deep and dark.

Nothing moves as you enter this room, but after a moment small, magical lights swirl faintly on the wall to your right, lighting up one of the passageways. Their light is as dim as distant stars, and does nothing to illuminate the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick question- what's everyone doing for light? This room is unlit by anything. I'll have to edit this post because I said the chandelier catches light before I realized there's no light but i'll wait till I know what kind of light

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan steps into the room, pulling out and lighting his thief's lamp as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show

Check for traps. Listen/spot.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Duncan fails to find any traps, but as he walks forwards he steps into some sharp razor-wire strung across the entrance. It slices open his forearm.

Spoiler
    Show
    You take 5 damage. The razor wire is still rigged to cut up people that walk into it.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Orc in the Playground

Whiskey takes careful note of the sharp booby trap, and both dogs keep their eyes and ears open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whiskey: Spot +8, Listen +5
    Arf: Spot +5, Listen +5

28. - Top - End - #1198

Whiskey perks his ears. All he can hear is the distant drip of water on patient stone. Looking around, he sees nothing more than the empty room.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

Duncan heads for passageway nearest to him, at least trying to exercise some care as he does so.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Duncan heads through one of the dark doorways, opposite the one with faint lights. The party follows him. They travel through a long stone corridor that ends with a reinforced metal door. It has a faded bronze plate on it, with some kind of writing. The door was shut and barred, but the bottom corner has been bent and torn from the inside. Deep gouges mark the jagged metal door. Something would have to be very strong to do this to a sheet of metal this thick.

You think that you could probably squeeze through the gap.
    Last edited by Aeti; 2014-12-19 at 02:27 AM.