New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Meeting with the Hallowed Emperor

The Place: The eastern foothills of the Dragon Ridge mountains, the plains of Aenhsfel (about 270 miles from the northern edge of the Alli'ur map), the site of a recent "raid" from the draconic creatures building power in the Dragon Ridge.

You stand over the corpse of one of Tiamat's spawn, a red-scaled creature that wielded the power to summon forth flame and walls of pure magical force, as you gather fallen arrows from nearby. Not three miles south of here the village of Aensted lies a smoking ruin and it was the cause of these creatures. A beast like a rhinoceros save for its draconic hide and fangs, lies dead beside its master.

A man, clad in the red and silver of a messenger, comes running towards you, a sealed parchment in his hand. "Orders for you, Sir Nightblade," he says panting from his run.

The parchment is sealed with the signet of Commander Olric Drakeblood.

Olric Drakeblood: An officer among the local troops, he is a paladin of Ra, and sorcerer blessed by Isis. His father was a bronze dragon, and a soldier in one of the punitive armies of a human generation ago which fought back the ogres that were then one of the larger threats in the Dragon Ridge.

Opening the Parchment
    Spoiler
    Show
    Breaking the seal and opening the message you see that it is short and succinct, ordering you to return to the base camp ten miles to the east and report to the Transit Tent. You've been called to the capital on orders from above.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Meeting with the Hallowed Emperor

Orders to withdraw? From above? Hm... Dorian would have to ponder what that meant on the way back.

Dorian nods in thanks to the messenger and tosses him a silver piece. He then gets everything he needs prepared to head back to the transit camp, and eventually the capital. Then gets started on that journey.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The tent, once a bright sky blue but now dusty and dirt covered from a campaign lasting weeks, stands it flap-opening fluttering in the wind. Within is a circle of thirteen mages, they sit around an intricate circle of drawn seals and glyphs. One of the mages, a dark skinned human woman that you guess is somewhat young for a human mage in this role, greets you. "Welcome, I assume you're Nightblade. We were told to expect you. Go to the center of the circle and sit, we will transport you to the Resplendent Capital."

She gestures at the center of the circle.

The Circle:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can identify the sigils as those of a teleportation spell, it's a circle that is part of a semi-permanent circuit with a series of other circles maintained by similar rings of mages.

If you listen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you sit in the circle the thirteen mages begin chanting a spell of some sort. A minute passes, then another, and another with nothing happening. After five minutes the glyphs begin to glow a silvery blue and it is another five minutes before the spell fully activates and you find yourself in a large room. Only one mage seems to be manning the circle, a coast elf of the southern shores and even the dark red-gold hair of his people has begun to grey with age. Another man, who despite his youth by what you know of human standards holds himself with an air of authority, smiles at you. "Dorian Nightblade, I expect," he says extending his hand, "I am Claudius Mangrel, please come with me."

Claudius Mangrel: A familiar name, the son of a major underking of the Hallowed Empire. His family was one of the first to join the Emperor and have held favor ever since. Within the capital and surrounding lands this family is easily the favorite to rule should anything befall the Hallowed Emporer. As for Claudius himself he has a mixed reputation. Some would claim that he is a feckless dandy. Others say that he is a surprisingly clever and insightful young man with a deep insight into humanoid natures.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2012-07-11 at 11:00 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorian sits in the circle uneasily, and waits for the magic to transport him.

Wait! Maybe I should have asked about Whisper. Ah too late for that now... Anyway back to what's at hand. Ah right magic. It's really too bad that we have to live with that stuff, it just doesn't really sit well with me. Speaking of sitting.. or not. Please work magic, please work...

Oh, I'm in the castle now... Hopefully these guys didn't notice me mumbling to myself just now...

"Yes, I'm Nightblade, I must admit I'm surprised to be received by someone of your reputation and stature Mister Mangrel." Dorian says as he moves to follow him, casually glancing over the two of them for any concealed weaponry. The war did things to Dorian, things that shattered his trust in fellow humanoid-kind.

Does Dorian recognize the elf at all?

Spot check

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[34]
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-11 at 11:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You don't recognize the elf which is unsurprising with the number of mages that must be in the Empire's employ.

Claudius does seem to carry a few concealed daggers on his person.

Claudius shrugs, "I must admit, I sometimes wonder what my 'reputation' really is." He turns and begins to lead the way out of the room and into the hall beyond.

Current Projects:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't all of us Mister Mangrel?"
    Dorian follows Claudius out of the room.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The hallway is covered with murals. To your right are scenes depicting ancient battles, warriors clad in shining armor rallying around a great gold dragon to stand against an orcish horde; the occasional demon can also be seen amongst the orcish host. To your left is a more peaceful scene depicting some civic festival, the building of a large central building inter-mixed with a community dance.

The hallway itself is made of marble and quite long. You pass several other hallways, and are led through more than one hall full of people who diffidently part before the young noble.

Finally you reach a large chamber. Massive columns of adamantine reinforced iron support a roof several hundred feet above your head. A pool of copper bits lies in the far side of the room, and the walls are completely covered with tapestries. The room is almost empty, though. Two women seem busy cleaning, a grey bearded man helping sweep. A young seeming man stands with an aura of importance, pride, and power, a large sword strapped to his back and his armor dented with the outcome of battles. His helmet is tucked under his arm and he seems somewhat impatient.

In one corner of the room is a large cage, inside of which is a pair of tiny, pteradactyl-like creatures. One is a duller green and brown, while the other is brightly colored a mixture of green, pink, and a sky blue frill.

"And this is where I was told to bring you," Claudius says, boredom in his voice, "Now I might as well be off."

Current Projects:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorian looks around, quickly taking in the area.

Those are some lovely tapestries...

Dorian steps up to the armored man.

"Well met. I'm Dorian, Dorian Nightblade."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorian looks around, quickly taking in the area.

Those are some lovely tapestries...

Dorian steps up to the armored man.

"Well met. I'm Dorian, Dorian Nightblade."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The man nods, extending his hand, "The name is Hinrich Ironkeep."

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"So, why have you brought me here? I assume that was you?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

He shakes his head, "Not I, I was asked to report on," he pauses as if searching for the right way to phrase it, some recent events rather far away from here."

Current Projects:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorian looks confused

"Well if you didn't recall me who did?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"I would assume it was the Emperor," the man says with a slight shrug, "Honestly I had hoped for a chance to rest after that ride, not to be called to the capital."

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm... I wonder why we're both here then, seems a bit unlikely to be a coincidence."

Dorian quietly ponders to himself for a minute or two.

"I wonder when the Emperor will show up. I'm itching to get back into the thick of things."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"I cannot say, I returned to my dukedom and there was a message that had been waiting for some time asking me to come and meet with the Emperor."

Current Projects:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"While we wait for the Emperor, would you mind telling me a bit of yourself sir? I must admit I know little of you and your exploits."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Sir Hinrich Ironkeep, duke of the realm wiht the same name. My recent exploits led me far afield, and I doubt you'd believe them if you heard them. Let us just say that there is more to Alli'ur than any many has ever before conjectured. I doubt that my recall has much to do with that, and more to do with my overlong absence. What of yourself, why would you have been called here?"
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2012-07-12 at 11:40 AM.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am the last active member of the Order of the Golden Arrow. We are what you might call a left hand of the Emperor and my training and talents have served me well in doing the Emperor's work for many a year. I go where the Emperor tells me to, and remove, with a surgeon's precision, those undesirable people that the Emperor requires removal of. I specialize in hunting mages." Dorian says with a smirk.

"My last target was quite a while ago and I have since been leading a small contingent of troops in the plains of Aenhsfel. I was teleported here today."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"So mage hunting. It can be rather dangerous," he says with a wry grin.

Current Projects:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, it can be. Of course with the proper training, one can get to be quite efficient at it. I happen to have over a hundred mage assassinations to my name. Several of the less recent battles were only possible due to my timely... interventions."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

He nods, "I've been away from the front since a month or two after the death of Galathor, or whatever that purple dragon was called, I've been kept rather busy by other matters."

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"What kind of other matters? You've mentioned reports on this other business several times, but have yet to divulge anything. Do I seem untrustworthy or is it just that secret? When is the Emperor going to show up anyway."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"I cannot answer the last. As for the other business, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I assume the Emperor wishes to hear what business took me away for so long, but I cannot say I actually know," the man says.

The cleaning girls leave the room, leaving only the old man sweeping and the two pterodactyl-like creatures.

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excuse me sir, do you happen to know when the emperor will be arriving?" Dorian asks the sweeping guy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

He shakes his head, "The Emperor is a busy man. Why don't you have them bring in a cushion and take a seat? Admire the pterites, I've always heard you elves preferred to take life slowly and smell the flowers so to speak."

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah yes, I probably should calm down. Being on the front seems to have rendered me a little excitable. I have no need for a cushion though. I shall be fine right here."

Dorian steps over to the pterites and observes them.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The two reptilian creatures seem perfectly accustomed to gawking onlookers. The brightly colored one gives a brief flight around the cage as suddenly you feel a powerful wind blowing through the room.

Looking up you can see a great draconic shape descending from an opened skylight. The dragon landing in the center of the room, his body is covered in golden scales, scintillating in the noon-day sun. He is well over a hundred feet from toe to tail-tip and his entire body seems to be made of iron-tough sinews. In a voice surprisingly quiet for a creature of such massive size he says, "Hinrich, you finally have returned. Where have you been?"

The armored man bows and says, "A long and perilous journey; I ventured across more worlds that were neither other images of our own, nor the outer planes. I saw the shape of our world, and saw the back of Masor."

The dragon does not seem to have noticed you yet.

Current Projects:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't say anything and wait to see what happens.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"We will have to speak of that at some time at length," the Emperor says before turning his head towards you. "Dorian, I see you have arrived as well. I have a mission for you. A band of four, let us call them adventurers, is on their way to the Badlands, to the ancient structure of myth and legend called the Tomb of Pnakost."

Hinrich's head snaps up, "The Tomb of Pnakost?"

Current Projects: