New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

"Abadar preserve us..." Grigori whispers at Tireas's explanation. "I do not wish to come any nearer, but I fear we must. This was where Captain Garess indicated we might find the hunters, and it seems a dark fate may have befallen them."

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katerina blanches slightly at the thought of heads used as grisly trophies. She gathers herself and says, "Then it seems we must go in if only to cut down such vile markers." She dismounts her horse and asks the group, "Anyone else coming with me?"

3. - Top - End - #663
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Heads?" Ilya repeats, incredulously. "With antlers? That's sick," he says, flushing with anger that displaces any nausea he might otherwise have felt. "It seems we may not be able to save the trappers inside, but if their murderers are still inside we should hurry," the young man says, a glimmer of bitterness in his voice that you haven't heard before. He notches an arrow in his bow and begins to creep forwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilya will try to approach stealthily, getting as close as he can to the building.

Stealth: (1d20+7)[25]
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-11-18 at 04:46 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas frowns as he sees Ilya move toward the stronghold. Scouting ahead was probably a good idea, but Ilya needed to stay alive for his newly discovered position to be of any use to the tiefling.

Turning to the rest of the group, he comments, "We'll scout ahead before charging blindly in. If we need help, you'll know." Tireas is about to step forward to join the prince, but then looks directly at Viktor. "He'll be safe. Trust me."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take a 10 on stealth for 17. If not possible:

(1d20+7)[26]

Assuming the paladin acquiesces, Tireas moves forward with the bard, trying to stay just as quiet. "Please be careful, Ilya," he whispers, "I can vanish if we're spotted, but you don't have that option. You clearly don't like their decoration sense, but don't let that endanger you."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks like we're going in quietly.. Remembering narrow escapes in the alleys of Restov Katerina takes her sword in one hand and the hem of her skirt in the other, creeping up to where Tireas and Ilya are moving toward the outpost. She winks at Ilya when she catches up to him.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[30]
    It is not enough to fight. It is the spirit which we bring to the fight that decides the issue. It is morale that wins the victory. -George C. Marshall

6. - Top - End - #666
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zinovia sighs as her more dextrous companions slip off towards the gruesome display. "Yes, yes, scout if you must, though I have seen nothing yet in this miserable region that has posed a credible threat to us. If I should see or hear anything indicating that you yourselves are on your ways to being decapitated and antlered, I shall come at once."
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor's face darkens when Tireas tells the group what he'd seen on the outpost. "By Abadar, these bandits will pay for this injustice," he hisses. His hand goes to his blade, until Ilya starts to move forward. He opens his mouth to speak, but he is already gone, ducking into the overgrown foliage.

"Thank you," Viktor says stoically to Tireas. I will have to trust him; there is no other choice. "We will stay at this position and will come to your aid if need be," the man says, nodding his agreement with Zinovia.
    LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #668
    Orc in the Playground

Katerina, Tireas, and Ilya

The three adventurers move closer to the lodge, keeping low and using the numerous trees and bushes for cover. This makes the approach relatively simple, and before long, the trio has maneuvered into position along the old ruin's front wall, crouching behind the chipped, worn stones that make it up.

Peering through the gaps in the stone that pass for windows, the interior of the outpost becomes visible.

It has evidently been well used and lived-in: simple wood and straw beds sit in a barracks-like row against one wall, while kegs have been piled against another. A long table graces the centre of the interior. All of it is a mess, however. Chairs have been upturned, and weapons lie strewn across the hard stone floor. Arrows and a few swords stick out of the table.

It's far from empty, too. Corpses lie scattered throughout the post, and, there are several near the building as well. They're bloodstained and clearly the victims of violent deaths. Most are bearded men in leathers, with bows, axes, and swords lying nearby. Over the corpses, more men are standing, perhaps a dozen in total. These are hard, men specimens. They wear tattered and crude assemblies of armour composed of whatever they can loot. Most have long, jagged scars or frightening tattoos visible on their exposed skin. All of them are heavily armed with longbows and several other blades and clubs. Their callused hands rifle through the corpses dispassionately.

They all seem on edge, however, occasionally glancing over their shoulders as they go about their vile business. The reason why is obvious. A towering figure stands there, far larger than any of the others. His chest is bare and dark, all hard, thick muscle latticed with unseemly white scars. The rest of his huge form is clad in a black bear-pelt over leather and chain, while a bow that is as tall as most men is slung across his back. Massive arms are folded across his broad chest as her surveys his men... He does so through eyes that are only pinpricks of light, his entire face shrouded in shadow by his head-covering helmet: its visage that of a stag's skull hammered out of silver steel, upper and lower jaws parted around the wearer's head. Immense horns jut from its sides. The fearsome figure can only be one man, a fact that is confirmed by the familiar medallion that hangs around his neck, bearing the silver image of a stag.

He growls out a few words, his voice hard and harsh, like the rumble of thunder. "Finish," he commands of his men. "Leave the dead for the wolves. We've culled the sheep, and it's time to go."

Viktor, Grigori, and Zinovia

You wait and watch, but there doesn't seem to be any commotion at the outpost. But then you hear a rustling and frantic panting from nearby. Someone or something is moving through the brush towards you, none too stealthy...
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-11-19 at 02:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669

Grigori whirls to face the rustling sounds. He steps behind Viktor, but has the grace to look sheepish about it. "I apologize," he whispers, "but I am no warrior."

Louder, but not so loud as to be heard from the outpost, he calls out. "Show yourself. We know you are here, and we mean no harm."

Abadar, I hope that is true.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Orc in the Playground

"Come out, now," Viktor commands, voice authoritative and the tip of his sword pointed directly as the source of the noise. "Fail to do so and we will shall end whatever threat you pose."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to charge if whatever it is attacks the party. Also, detect evil!
    LGBTitP

11. - Top - End - #671

"The Stag Lord?" Ilya whispers, though he already knows the answer. Inside the outpost, the situation is bad. "It doesn't look like there are any survivors, but we won't be able to get in and do a more thorough search on our own, certainly not while the Stag Lord is still here. Is there any way to take out stragglers?" he wonders, still whispering. "Or shall we return to the others and plan an attack?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

12. - Top - End - #672
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thinking fast, Katerina considers whether or not there seemed to be any other path out of the outpost. Without remembering one, she whispers to Tireas, "Do we have any way to warn Viktor and the others, then when these thugs leave ambush them when they run into our fellows?" Quickly, she peeks back into the courtyard to make sure no one is heading out just yet. Returning to Tireas, "How fast do you think we could finish the big one? He looks dangerous and his dogs look unhappy to be his pets." I only hope I am good enough to tell anyone else if he was or not!

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

"This is bad," Tireas whispers, "And it sounds like they might be exiting the building soon. Let's retreat to the group before they see us."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #674
    Orc in the Playground

Katerina, Tireas, and Ilya

At the towering figure's command, the bandits scurry to obey. They grab a few of the remaining valuables from the corpses they've been looting. One of them wipes his bloody axe on a dead man's clothing. They laugh and talk crudely amongst themselves, but go quite as the Stag Lord cuts a swath through them, preparing to leave.

If you are to leave, you must do so quickly and quietly, before he notices or reaches your position...

Viktor, Zinovia, and Grigori

The bushes stop rustling as soon as Grigori and Viktor speak. There is a short, sharp silence, then a timid female voice calls out. "Please don't hurt me! I'll - I'll come out!"

A bedraggled looking young woman pushes her way out from the bushes, nettles caught in her long brown hair. She has a fur cloak strung around her shoulders, and a thick dress beneath that, simple and grey, with only a touch of embroidery for show. She trembles slightly.

"You're not bandits, are you? Oh thank the gods! But you're too late! They killed everyone!"

15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katerina looks at Tireas and Ilya. Realizing that Tireas does not want to fight this man here, she thinks, But my plan is good! Let these bandits walk into the rest of our party and then get the jump on them! Frowning, she slips into the underbrush to make her way back to the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[19]

16. - Top - End - #676

"We should go," Ilya whispers. "We're not a match for them, not just the three of us. If we die, then any survivors who might be inside don't stand a chance. We'll rejoin the others, and return once they leave." He begins making his way back to the rest of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I need another Stealth check; if I do, feel free to take 10 or roll it yourself AA.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #677

"Madam," Grigori says with a concerned, civil nod of his head. "Please, calm yourself. We are here to help if we can. Who are you? Are you injured?" The priest clasps his hands together, wringing them as though distressed by the situation.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor keeps his sword trained on the woman, though he relaxes noticeably as she emerges from the woods. "You were in the post when it was attacked?" he barks at her. "How is it that you escaped?"
    LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #679
    Orc in the Playground

Ilya, Katerina, and Tireas make it back to the rest of the group with a minimum of noise, leaving the ruined tower and the scent of death well behind them.

The bandits troop out too, disappearing into the woods quickly, a column of ragged murderous phantasms as evening mist begins to creep over the Greenbelt, coming off the waters of the Skunk River as a voluminous fog that disperses in the wind.

The frightened woman, meanwhile, takes a rattling breath, recovering some of her nerve. "No, I'm... well, I'm all right. My name's Krysia, I'm a healer... I came with the hunters to help them. We got to the lodge and there was nobody there – no bandits at all, but some things had been stolen. We stayed to guard it. I went out a few hours ago to gather some ingredients for a potion and then I heard shouting and fighting. I, I think the bandits came back for more."

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

"Mm, and they're all dead now, I think," Tireas responds quite indelicately. "Also, it seems the Stag Lord is inside. Attacking would be dangerous." Eager as he was for battle, the tiefling was more eager to survive.

Cowards live longer, remember that.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #681

"The Stag Lord seemed to be leaving," Ilya says pensively. "By the time we get back, I'm not sure he'll still be there. I'm also not sure that that's a bad thing," he continues. "I doubt we'd stand much a chance against him and his confederates together; if he leaves, we may be able to thin out their numbers by destroying who ever stays behind. Regardless, we need to return to look for survivors."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

With an eager nod, "Yes, we need to go back right away!" Oh! Please, if there is one left behind, we can catch him and find out where their hideout is "If we are quiet again, we can sneak up on any that stayed behind. Maybe take one prisoner."

Katerina waits to go until her friends are ready and then, goes with them.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[11]

Spoiler
    Show
    (ooc: Seems little Katerina is a bit too anxious to be quiet!)
    Last edited by FireberdGNOME; 2012-11-26 at 12:41 AM. Reason: (ooc commentary)
    It is not enough to fight. It is the spirit which we bring to the fight that decides the issue. It is morale that wins the victory. -George C. Marshall

23. - Top - End - #683
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor listens to Tireas, frowning. "I am sorry," he tells Krysia sadly. "If my companion says it, I am afraid it is true. I apologize, for we came to late, but by Abadar if this sin can be avenged, we will see to it. Come," the man says to his companions, "we should return with haste, perhaps to find survivors, or at least to slay those outlaws who linger too long."
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #684

"Gods be good," Grigori murmurs softly after the woman finishes her account. "We will do what we must," he confirms. "Abadar and all the natural laws and those of mankind agitate for justice. I see no reason to linger." He touches a hand to the collar of his robes, to the holy symbol there. "At least we may be able to bring peace to the fallen."

25. - Top - End - #685

Zinovia glowers towards the outpost, as though her frown will bring it crumbling down. "Let's go," she says simply. "It is our task to kill bandits, and this barbarity does little to change that except that now I will relish the screams as they burn."

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

By the time you reach the hunting lodge, the bandits have gone, vanishing into the woods. There's little to do except bury the bodies, dismantle the grim evidence of the attack, and offer a prayer for the victims.

The young woman seems to have recovered slightly, though she only approaches once everything is cleaned up. "I... I'll go back to Oleg's Post... And stay there... Good luck."

7-9 Desnus, 4708

The next few days pass peacefully. The forests of the Greenbelt are alive with life, birds fluttering through the branches overhead. Occasionally speckled deer shy away from your progression through the ancient woodland.

At one point, you spot a moss-covered statue of a stag-headed man, clearly a depiction of Erastil from some previous civilization or settlement. But the forest has reclaimed it so thoroughly that vines and lichens have turned it green and verdant.

10 Desnus, 4708

Your exploration continues ever onwards. You rejoin the course of the Skunk River as the waterway winds through the Stolen Lands, cutting a steep-banked channel through the forests.

With the sun high overhead, bright and warm, you come across a remote ford in the river's path. The sandy islands are strewn with rubble and refuse caught on the shoals. The sun-drenched islands aren't devoid of life, either. On a grassy patch, an immense, lizard-like creature is sunning itself. It's at least six feet in length, its dragon's head filled with sharp teeth, its arms ending in grasping claws. Occasionally, when it snorts, its nostrils flare with greenish mist. Nearby is another of the great lizards. The two beasts get to their feet quickly, however, sniffing the air. Yellow eyes focus on your position, and they both let out bellowing roars.

Round 1

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

The debris counts as difficult terrain.
    You can move through squares with trees as normal; you're just under the foliage.
    You can, obviously, try to swim across the water.

27. - Top - End - #687

Ilya is enjoying the fine day and is in correspondingly high spirits as the party explored along the banks of the Skunk River. "It's only unfortunate," he muses, "that the river lacks the grace to not smell." He laughs, however, at his own complaint.

"Ah, look," he says, pointing out the the shoal upon which the creatures sit. He unhooks his bow from his back. "Doubtlessly these things wish to ruin our day." He moves forwards, launching an arrow at the farthest beast. The arrow glows momentarily with a soft blue light before it streaks towards its target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Arcane Strike, move 30 feet towards the debris, and fire at T1.

Attack: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

28. - Top - End - #688

"Beware their breath," Grigori tells his companions."It seems noxious, by the fumes." He clasps his hands together, golden light shining from his palms. "Abadar," he intones, "I call upon you to bless these warriors. Let them find strength in your perfection."

Spoiler
    Show
    Grigori will move as far towards to rubble as he can (20 feet) after casting bull's strength on Tireas.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas scratches his head when he sees the creatures on the other side of the river. "They look like dragons, but aren't dragons, well, bigger?"

The tiefling disappears once again, and moves next to Ilya, blade ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a swift to Vanish, and a move to go next to Ilya's current position. Standard to attack anything that comes adjacent.

Vanish lasts 3 rounds, or until I attack.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

30. - Top - End - #690

"More beasts?" Zinovia says sarcastically as the dragon-like monsters roar. "Time to put an end to them, I think." Fire leaps from her hands, hopefully to deadly effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll move diagonally up and right so that she ends right by the shoreline. From there, I think she can just hit T1 with burning arc.

Burning arc: (7d6+1)[21], ref DC19 for half.