New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

"We'll use the liquor as a gift," Tireas agrees, "but it might be risky wearing the amulets. If they're only given to his most trusted officers, and he doesn't recognize us, then we're already as good as dead. As for the kobolds, I think they will make it too difficult to get inside the palli... palla, uh, his walls. They aren't the most subtle creatures."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

"I dislike the deception," Viktor mutters, scowling. "But... if it will subvert the Stag Lord's defences, it seems prudent to do so," he says, shifting his weight uncomfortably. "I concur with Tireas, however. The amulets are too risky, for the bandit lord surely knows their possessors, and indeed may be aware of his lieutenant's fate by now. We can simply say that we are recruits sent by Kressle to transport his drink."
    LGBTitP

3. - Top - End - #813
    Halfling in the Playground

Grigori shifts his weight uncomfortably. "I, ah," he says quietly, "I am not sure I will prove a convincing bandit for much time. It is a sound plan, though, nonetheless, for if nothing else, we shall have until I open my mouth, by which point we ought to be past the palisade."

He clears his throat, touching his holy symbol. "Perhaps the kobolds could provide aid, but I worry at what the state they might be in in the aftermath. They have suffered greatly already, and I do not wish to put them in danger again so soon." He stops, stroking his beard. "It also occurs to me that, well, were I a watchman, I should be more guarded if I had reason to suspect danger or mischief afoot. I believe our best course is to trust in the laxity of the fort's guardians."
    Bilbo Baggins avatar kindly created by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Dwarf in the Playground

Though unhappy her suggestion was discarded, Katerina changes tac. "Are we known at least by description to the stag lord? Could we use that knowledge to pose as prisoners," she looks at Viktor, then Ilya, "or at least those he knows."

Thinking on the difficulty of getting past the guards by subterfuge, she also adds, "Mayhap we could just find a quiet back door in? I am sure our bandit friend can help in that regard."
    It is not enough to fight. It is the spirit which we bring to the fight that decides the issue. It is morale that wins the victory. -George C. Marshall

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

"Er, right," Vasily says. "So we get into the fort with the liquor and then... I guess everything dies somehow." He grimaces. "What're we waitin' for?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want me to move things along, indicate as much. I think you've got a sketch of a plan laid down, so if you do want to head to the Stag Lord's Fort, that's good.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Orc in the Playground

"Indeed," Viktor nods. "Lead the way. The faster this task is done the better; the sooner these lands are freed from this man's murderous grasp the better."
    LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #817

"Indeed, we should set out as soon as possible. Any delays now only increase the chance of further atrocities."

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Lead on, bandit. Lingering here does no good. I am eager to have this done with." Zinovia pulls her crimson robe tightly around her, gathering her things to be off.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Farewell!" Ilya calls to the inhabitants of the Post dramatically as he mounts his horse. "While I am quite sure that this shall not be our final parting, you may be of a more pessimistic mind. If you are, and frankly I wouldn't blame you, then now is the moment for goodbyes," he says, waving at Oleg and Svetlana and smiling. "Come, let's end this."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

10. - Top - End - #820
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the way towards the Stag Lord's fort, Katerina pulls her horse next to Ilya and asks, "What do you expect to happen once we get there? Have any of you seen this place? Can our friend explain the layout before we get there?" The rapid questions betray her nervousness about finally facing the Stag Lord; he is something of a bogeyman in her mind.
    It is not enough to fight. It is the spirit which we bring to the fight that decides the issue. It is morale that wins the victory. -George C. Marshall

11. - Top - End - #821
    Orc in the Playground

18 and 19 Desnus, 4708

Mounting your horses, you turn your steeds southwards. The Stolen Lands welcome in new flourishing of blossoming flowers and greenery under a bright spring sun. Wispy white clouds in the blue sky overhead drift across the horizon, propelled by a cool breeze.

Riding southwards across well-known land, you make good time, the drier grasses of the uplands turning to lust green plains as your route takes you towards the confluence of the Shrike and Thorn Rivers. There, the two currents meet at a fork spanned by an old Taldan bridge. They mingle, cutting a wide channel into the Kamelands. They rush south, fast-flowing, churning and racing, to where the Kamelands rolls out into a valley. At the center of the lowland is a glistening lake of bright blue water, the end point of the river you've been following. This is the Tuskwater, and it sparkles in the bright sunlight. On its northern bank, there rises a structure: from this distance, you can see only a dark shape of a central keep and wall. "Stag Lord's fort," Vasily says with a nod toward it. "Can't wait to see the inside."

21 Desnus, 4708

You make camp a few miles from the fort. When dawn arrives, you make any last preparations that you have. From here on out, it is slow going: you must keep off heights of land to avoid sentries. Soon, while the sun is still rising, you come to a small ridge perhaps a mile off from the fortress.

Crouching or lying prone on the ridge, you are afforded an excellent view of the fort. It is, as Vasily has said, a palisade surrounding a keep. The keep itself is in rather poor condition, crumbling at points, weather-worn, and patched with timber rather than stone. You see several human figures leaning against wooden watchtowers.

Spoiler
    Show

There is a lower floor too, but you can't see it until you enter the fort.

There's a watchman in each of the towers (Z3a b and c).

Now's the time to figure out any last minute strategy, RP, or the like. You might also want to roll disguise checks to make yourselves more bandit-like.

Beyond that, I've noticed post rates getting pretty slow. That's fair enough, but for the finale, getting some momentum is important. Let's aim for everyone posting pretty much once a day from here on out, myself included.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2013-01-20 at 04:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822

Zinovia wakes early, her face pale and cold in the morning light. She sits, hunched over, her robes pulled tight around her frail body despite the spring warmth of the morning. Her dark eyes scan the pages of the large black tome she has placed on her lap, and her thin lips occasionally murmur a syllable of incantation as she memorizes her spells. We come to it at last, she thinks. All our efforts are now to be tested. I only hope that I am strong enough...

-----------------

Looking down on the Stag Lord's fortress, Zinovia shivers slightly. "I do not think the bandits will have many spellcasters in their ranks. We have seen none yet. Hopefully they will not object to my presence. If they ask, I am fleeing arrest for... unlawful necromancy, let us suppose." She lets out a chuckle at the notion.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

"Or...," suggests Tireas, "Anyone who can't make a convincing bandit could be prisoners of ours. We could loosely tie up you and Grigori, and when we strike, you'll take off the bonds and surprise them with your spells. It's not like you need weapons or armor, or anything of the sort."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #824

"Quite right," Ilya says, nodding as Tireas finishes. "My only worry is this: if we bring in Zinovia, and perhaps Grigori as well, as prisoners, the bandits may wish to lock them up immediately. That will severely limit our options - we will have to strike right away." He pauses for a moment, thinking, and then continues. "If Zinovia pretends that she is an illegal necromancer, or some such thing, we will have substantially more flexibility in when we strike. For example," the young man says, pointing at the three lookouts, "if someone were to give those scouts a push, we might find our assault made easier. But to do that, we must not be attacked the moment we pass through the gate."

"There is likely more mischief we can cause as well, if we put our minds to it." He shrugs nonchalantly. "But if we would rather strike fast, so be it. In any case, we'll need to look the part."

Spoiler
    Show
    The bandits we've encountered thus far haven't exactly been the height of fashion. Tireas has +8 disguise, the highest in the party, so perhaps we can do something with that. Otherwise I feel like our Bluff DC will get higher.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2013-01-20 at 10:12 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

15. - Top - End - #825

"I do not think I will make a convincing bandit," Grigori admits with a slight smile. "Truth be told, I would be more comfortable as a prisoner. There is to that less deception than my lying outright, and honesty in all things is thing to strive for when the circumstances allow for it."

He thinks for a time on what Ilya says, stroking his well-maintained beard. "If the Stag Lord's servants attempt to remove us – the prisoners, that is – from the rest of you, you must find us. With luck, perhaps they will lead us straight to any other prisoners they have taken. Such people may be allies in our fight, or else must be protected."

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

"So be it," Viktor says to Gregori. "If you can find any prisoners, they may be able to aid us. If not, you may have to make your own escape. The rest of us will try to eliminate as much of the threat as possible before we attack in earnest. No one," he warns, "should attempt to defeat the Stag Lord alone. Such foolhardiness is likely to end in our deaths."
    LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #827

Zinovia nods in agreement with Viktor, her face set in a stony visage of focus. "Very well. I believe my magic will be up to the task of freeing us. And then I shall make these bandit curs know fear." She smirks slightly, directing a sideways glance at Grigori. "The priest may even help as well, when he overcomes his overburdened truthfulness."

She holds out her hands, her wrists together. "Bind them, if you would."

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

"Excellent." Tireas grins as he cuts off two lengths of rope for Grigori and Zinovia. "I'll try to keep them loose, but let me hide this dagger on you first. Um... hold still."

The tiefling looks for a spot in her clothing where his dagger could be reasonably concealed, and quickly slips in the blade. He then grabs the rope, and ties it around Zinovia's outstretched arms, moving on to Grigori once she looks reasonably bound.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Sleight of Hand to try and hide a dagger with Zinovia. Tireas has a +7 when unarmed, and hiding a dagger gives an extra +2. Kat is actually slightly better (+8), so Tireas can do aid another, for a total of 32 of we take a 20.

Not sure how to make the rope look tighter than it is, since Use Rope isn't a skill any more I guess that would also be sleight of hand?

"You'll also need to look like prisoners," Tireas comments, looking over the two with a toothy grin. "We should get some dirt on those clothes."

Spoiler
    Show
    +8 disguise ends up at 28 if he can take a 20. Katerina also has disguise, so if she aids, we can get to 30 total. Please let me know if I'm doing anything illegitimate. I'll revise this post if that's the case.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

19. - Top - End - #829

"Well, I don't suppose we can simply walk in. We'll need a plan," Ilya says, looking over the ridge at the fortress. "First thing's first, we'll need to get inside. Not that the rest of your aren't perfectly charming people, but I would suggest that we leave the talking to me. Maybe Tireas, if they're being difficult." He smiles apologetically at the rest of the party, but continues on. "Once we're inside the fun can begin," he says impishly. "We'll want to get rid of those lookouts on the towers, simultaneously - that'll take three people - and I think we should take advantage of this alcohol as well. I doubt the bandits will fight with as much spirit if we give them spirits," the young man giggles. "Zinovia and Grigori will be in the prison looking for allies. I propose that Viktor and I distribute the drink amongst the bandits. Perhaps we could even poison it, but I'm not privy to such vile reagents. Tireas? Vasily?" He looks quizzically at the pair of rogues for a moment before continuing. "We'll be both weakening the bandits and providing a distraction. Tireas, Derorn, and Katerina will each climb a tower and take out a bandit. Quietly, if it's at all possible. If all that goes off without a hitch, we'll mount our real attack once Grigori and Zinovia escape from their prison."
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2013-01-21 at 08:08 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't carry any poison," Tireas responds, though he's perfectly aware why Ilya would suspect so. "I like your plan. If you need any other kinds of distraction, I can pick a fight with someone. That should leave one bandit down, and the rest distracted with watching the fight and making bets."

The tiefling flexes his fingers, and eagerly sets his eyes for the daunting gates in the distance. "We should also have a code word. In case we need to all attack right away."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #831
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor listens pensively as the prince speaks, before nodding. "That is a sound plan. Abadar willing, it will succeed." He looks at the castle below, with its imposing palisade wall. Abadar shelter us all from harm this day, and all days, he prays to himself. Give me the strength to bring justice to your enemies and to shield the innocent from harm. The paladin furrows his brow. Please, Abadar, let me protect Ilya. I need him to survive this.

The paladin snaps out of his reverie when Tireas speaks. "A code work. Hrmm. Yes, it would be wise. How about 'death to bandit scum?' he deadpans, before laughing. "Or is that too obvious. Why not 'wild boar?' Innocuous enough to place in a conversation discreetly."
    LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #832

The priest looks at Zinovia. I must trust my companions, all of them. "We will also have our contingency, I think. If you hear Zinovia's spells, I should think that would be a signal to attack before we are overwhelmed." He clasps his hands together. "I think we are ready," he says slowly, taking a steadying breath.

He bows his head, intoning a low but fervent prayer. "Our Father, into your hands we commend our spirits! Shelter us from the strife of the day, let not evil but justice steel our hearts and temper our blades for the coming battle. And if it is your will that we must fall, yet we may be in cheer; for death shall be as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever will be: a perfect world without end."

He closes his eyes, taking a moment of silence, then looks round at his fellows. "We bring nothing into this world. It is proper that we should leave it divested of everything. If you have things left unspoken, or deeds to confess, now may be your last time..." He glances around nervously, looking down at the imposing fortress.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Orc in the Playground

"Good plan," Vasily admits with a skeptical look at Ilya, as if the former bandit didn't think the Prince had it in him. "I'll try to be inconspicuous while I kill one of 'em, shall I? And no, I don't got any poison... Out of my price range, I'm afraid..."

Tireas, meanwhile, binds together Zinovia and Grigori's hands loosely enough that they can still cast spells, before helping Katerina to muss up their robes suitably.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Orc in the Playground

Having made your preparations, you set out for the fort, moving at a steady, leisurely pace, ambling along as you imagine bandits would, occasionally giving Grigori and Zinovia a shove or tug with the rope binding their hands loosely together.

You can see one of the bandits on watch in the closest of the three wooden guard towers pointing towards you. He's quickly joined by another, taller figure. As you draw nearer, you see that he has a dark brown beard, shoulder length chestnut hair, and a hard-set expression of his scarred face.

"They're gonna ask me for a password," Vasily whispers. "Just let me do the talking 'til we're in."

Sure enough, the tall, bearded bandit barks down at you. "Who goes there?"

Vasily cups his hands to his mouth, hollering back: "By the bones of Saint Gilmorg, who wants to know?"

The man nods and shouts something to someone below. The wooden gates to the fort creak open, pushed by a pair of ruddy, leather- and fur-clad men, both with bows and some manner of melee weapon.

The man from the tower marches down to meet you. The sound of armour jangling alerts you to the fact that he's wearing a suit of old, dented plate, which has lost much of its shine, but likely none of its effectiveness. "Akiros Ismort," he growls by way of greeting, looking over you. "Strange bunch you are. And these..." he scowls at Zinovia and Grigori, "prisoners? You know - or ought to damn know - that standing orders are no prisoners."

Looking around at the inside of the fort while Akiros speaks, you see that it's a rough and tumble affair. Inside the wall is small dirt courtyard where five bandits partake in what appears to be a rowdy gambling game. You can't see anymore bandits, though, aside from the three in the watch towers. From the interior of the keep itself, you can hear raucous laughter and... squawking?

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

Pleased that they managed to enter the compound, Tireas is grinning visciously, despite the fact that this Akiros is quite skeptical why they are enterring. Tireas has been lying nearly his entire time in the Stolen Lands, however, and he isn't about to be off-put by an unexpected situation.

"Orders? Naw, we don' know nuttin' 'bout that," he answers, trying to sound as gruff as he expects a bandit would. "We been raiding caravans in Rostland on our own, till some uppity noble in House Garess got wind that his shipment of candles or summin' was raided. We had'ta kill his men, so we made our way down here where they couldn't follow."

The story made sense so far, but Tireas knew he needed an explanation for Vasily and the prisoners. "On our way down, we meet up with this fine fellow, Vas'ly. Says his whole group was killed by a bloody royal charter of all things while he was out taking a dump. Told us we could join up with you folks; saves our hide, and gives you lot some experienced men to take care of this bandit huntin' group going 'round."

The whole time he speaks he doesn't take his eyes off Akiros. A bad liar will break eye contact and look somewhere else, but maniuplation is second nature to Tireas. "As for the pris'ners, I didn' know 'bout no rules with them. Our usual rule is sack 'em and hack 'em, but this little lady," he gives Zinovia a shove, "was found with a caravan. Says her family's got 'round 5,000 crowns if we ransom her off. The old fellow's even better. He was leadin' the attack against us, and 'pparently he's the nephew or cousin or summin' of Lord Garess."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katerina watches furtively, keeping her eyes averted from the bandit guard. She tries not to draw attention to herself as she circumspectly inventories the intetior with her eyes. "This would have been much harder had we forced the gate, but now we're in... No, Ilya wants to play a game first."

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting for the fun to begin ;)

27. - Top - End - #837

"More'n five thousand," Ilya adds to Tireas's story, gesturing at Zinovia. "If you was better at rememberin' stuff, dolt, ya'd know she's from some big fam'ly up north, Surova or summit," he says. "She even got a fancy ring that proves it, see?" the young man says, showing his own House Surtova signet ring. "Tha's mine, though, I claimed it. But if ya let us in, we could split th' profits when we sells 'em back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another Bluff Check: (1d20+9)[18]
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2013-01-23 at 12:03 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

28. - Top - End - #838

Grigori is about to wring his hands in discomfort, but then he remembers that he's not supposed to be able to move his hands at all. "Yes, yes indeed," he says meekly, but with an air of desperation to it. "I am Grigori Garess, and my family will pay you well for my safe return! I am a priest of Abadar as well; if any of your men need healing, I can provide that to them, so long as I am alive. Just don't kill me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check to not get killed, maybe it should be counted as an aid another to Tireas: (1d20+8)[22]

29. - Top - End - #839

"Surtova, fool," Zinovia snaps at Ilya's intentional massacre of their shared House's name. "You are aware, bandit," she directs at Akiros Ismort, "how ill-advised it would be for you not to keep me alive. There lies a ransom on one side, and House Surtova's unrelenting anger on the other."

30. - Top - End - #840
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor's heart races so fast that the paladin is sure it's beating will be audible to the bandits on the gate. He catches himself, barely, before his hand goes instinctively to his sword. Every muscle in his body is tensed, ready to fight, and he can hear blood pounding in his ears. Master of the First Vault help us, he thinks as the motley group stands before the opening gate. The man scans Akiros taciturnly, standing unspeaking and silent before the bandit as Tireas, Ilya and Grigori tell their lies. The gate is open and somewhere inside lies the Stag Lord. With each step we approach our goal. Abadar, give us victory today.
    LGBTitP