New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

With a bemused look on her face, Miranda heads into the building past the two guards and up to the most official-looking person in the place, inquiring about how to join.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Not at all offended by anything master Krel said Orgen smiles and accepts the form. "Of course, I will fill it out immediately."

He reads the paper carefully first and starts pondering on the 'last name' bit. He knew about this custom in most areas, but in his tribe last names were not really given. His father and grandfather as well as his future son would have a name with 'gen' in it, though, which was unique for his family, so he decides to go with that. He starts penning:

Name: Or
    Last name: Gen
    Specialties: Archery, survival and divination
    Allegiance: The Temple of Oghma, The Great Worm tribe

Then (assuming the rules and regulations are reasonable), he signs the form

-X- I agree

and hands it to master Krel.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

Estef smiles dryly at the man and raises her shoulders.

-Don't worry brother, I'll see them at the morning, are you going to be here all night? Hope that the light of the goddess shines upon you.

Estef leaves the recruitment post of the Bowels of the Earth and starts walking on the streets. Maybe she should go to the Grinning Lion and see for herself those men but if she was going to join the mercenary company on her expedition she would certainly appreciate sleeping at a soft bed.

Finally she goes to the Tilting Star a tavern close enough to the temple of Mystra were she had been staying since she arrived to Waterdeep. Kevan will certainly be able to met her there, and she would go back to the Bowels of Earth first light on the morrow.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Calden

After his brother dragged him out of the Tavern to keep him from rejoining the card game Tra'vin looked slightly lost, not sure about the directions to the Mercenary company.

"Bah, I just wanted a few more minutes, not like I was short gold anymore ! Anyhow, I think I know where we're headed...I swear that goon can't give directions for the life of em.

Slapping Tra'vin on the back he starts walking, headed to the Bowels of the Earth HQ.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The rules and regulation state that basically even if temporary you are now a member of the Bowels of the Earth Company and as such owe allegiance and respect towards the organisations hierarchy. They also indicate that members of a mercenary company can be drafted from the City of Waterdeep to serve as reserves to the standing army.

It then follows a series of more typical army like rules and regulations regarding honour, ethics, hierarchy and chain of command and the laws of the company.

"Very well. Thank you Mr Gen. Welcome aboard. Now the details of this particular mission are as follows.

A squad of company members recently used some well known and relatively safe Underdark routes on their way back from the front where we are being paid to join the force of Waterdeep in skirmishes against the Shades in the Upperdark.

During their journey back they found what they correctly believed to be re-surfaced ruins of Multum. Using the laws of the land they returned and claimed the ruins for the company at least for the first year and the Lords have granted us charter to explore, map the ruins as well as to... well... retrieve artifacts, relics and richs of the city. After the year passes the city is fair game to everyone.

Off course our experience in the Underdark leads us to believe that all factions that do NOT respect the authority of Waterdeep, namely the drow, the duergar, the illithids and other such groups will rush to claim Multum when they find out about it. As such we must hurry and act as fast as we can in reclaiming the lost riches of the city..." he stops at this point and you see that his bad mood persists and colours his voice. Its almost a saddeness that makes him heavier and less friendly.

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

The first room after you enter is obviously a receiving room and is heavily decorated as such with items from the company's previous expeditions.

Armor made out of an Umber hulks carapace, blades from a sword spiders legs, duergar shields and drow weapons are all in glass cases. The most threatening and most creepy as well of all the things you see is the embalmed head of an illithid.

There are another three men here, two wearing the insignia of the group discussing with an older man about some payment or other. When you inquire about someone official or an officer they tell you that on the next room to the right you can find him and his name is Krel.

You find Krel in the room indicated. This one seems like an administrators or historians room instead of a trophy room. Books, tomes and papers are everywhere and more so on the table behind which a rather large goliath is sitting.

He looks up to you as you enter and nods with his head towards a chair in front of him. He seems, angry, annoyed and overall very unhappy.

"Good day madam. How may I help you? he asks.

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The guard nods as you depart slightly worried at your overall attitude and flamboyant use of your abilities.

The night at the tavern passes pleasantly and uneventfully and you wake up early in the morning and head out after a very decent breakfast meal for which the Star is famous for.

You arrive to see two guards instead of one outside the door but whats more important you take in the details of the building itself. Imposing as it is made from basalt, a rare rock in the North... at least above ground.

The guards exchange looks as you approach and move aside instictively to let you through.

"Ask for master Krel m'lady" the one to the left says.

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

(I shall assume you head there while its still open to simplify things as we are about to have the whole team together in a couple of posts)

You arrive just before closing time of the mercenary company's headquarters.

It is a spacious three story high building made from a material you dont often see in Waterdeep or elsewhere for that matter. Made almost entirely from Basalt it commands attention and respect compared to the nearby wooden or stone buildings.

There is a wooden tablet hanging on a post next to the door indicating that the Company is recruiting.

Two men, dressed in simple white tunics with a dark gaping hole as insignia, and wearing chain mail guard the door. They are leaning on their spears and looking tired and spent.

"Hail there friends... if it is something urgent please state your business... we are almost closing for the night... Master Krel is the only one still inside..."

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Some of what master Krel just said silenced Orgen for a moment. He had studied about the underdark and learned a thing or two about the creatures that live there. Some of those he had rather not encounter. "I see. Well, I am looking forward to this expedition." Orgen stands up. "So, I was planning on having dinner at the temple, wrap up my studies and say goodbye to my friends there. When do you need me to be present here? Is there anything else you need me to do right now?"

7. - Top - End - #67

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

Having a good breakfast is nice, its probably going to be a while before Estef can enjoy a good one so she wakes early in order to take some time eating. Once she is done she leaves to the local of the Bowels of the Earth and is relieved to see a different set of guards guarding the door. It seems that they are not into making people wait there for the whole night. That's good.

She walks inside and searches for the so called master Krel.

-Excuse me, I am searching for master Krel.
    Currently playing:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Miranda takes the offered seat with a smile and a gracious nod of the head. Smoothing her gloved hands over her tightly clad thighs, she looks up at the goliath through her eyelashes for a moment before speaking.

"Yes, I'm rather interested in joining the next expedition into the Underdark. I find that dark places and lucrative ventures are my calling," she says with a laugh and another smile, a flash of her straight white teeth.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Calden

Seeing the tired guards, he tries to be brief.
    A mutual friend of ours, one Mr.Farshall sent my brother and I to take the place of some guys that met an unfortunate end, I presume you were expecting us. This is regarding a regarding a brief foray into the Underdark.
    Last edited by LordDice; 2012-06-11 at 02:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath shakes his head.

"No, everything else is done. I already have a couple of other individuals signed up and another two members of the Company that are joining and I am interviewing an Underdark Guide tonight. Go wrap up your business and try to be here tomorrow by mid-day!" he says and pauses.

"Ah and we will be providing provisions for the trip but its always good to be prepared so feel free to get anything additional for yourself..." he adds softening up a bit.

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

You enter the building and pass by the first room which is heavily decorated with items from the company's previous expeditions.

Armour made out of an Umber hulks carapace, blades from a sword spiders legs, duergar shields and drow weapons are all in glass cases. The most threatening and most creepy as well of all the things you see is the embalmed head of an illithid.

It doesnt take long to find the man you are looking for as he is in the room just after the first which seems like an administrators or historians room instead of a trophy room. Books, tomes and papers are everywhere and more so on the table.

Currently returning a book at its place is rather large goliath dressed in chain armour and with a pair of twin handaxes hanging from his belt. As you enter he turns to face you and nods.

"Are you the one that scared my guard last night? It seems you have some mettle lady..." he says firmly as he indicates a chair for you as he returns to his own behind the table.

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath doesnt seem to share your humour as he looks at you and nods once.

"Do you have any experience in the Dark?" he asks but then continues before you answer.

"This is not a game mind you madam. It is true that we are arranging to send one or two teams as early as tomorrow but we want the best men or women we can get... its dangerous down there and though we have the charter there are others that do not care or accept the authority of Waterdeep and the Lords. I cant say we expect too many tomb-robbers or scavenging parties as the discovery is so young and the Underdark has its own trouble to solve but I just want to let you know that those we sent are expected to behave and act as professionals..." he concludes as he gives you a form that asks your name, last name, specialties/talents and extraordinary skills along with any previous allegiances you might hold.

"That said... if you feel comfortable with fighting alongside others and sticking your neck out for them just as they will do for you then we sure can use the help..."

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

"Oh yea, you are the replacement guys!" says the first guard.

"We almost thought you skipped town or something when you didnt show up earlier. Well best go right in... I cant imagine master Krel will be happy to be kept waiting plus he has to see that guide soon!" he explains and shows you in.

The first room after you enter is obviously a receiving room and is heavily decorated as such with items from the company's previous expeditions.

Armor made out of an Umber hulks carapace, blades from a sword spiders legs, duergar shields and drow weapons are all in glass cases. The most threatening and most creepy as well of all the things you see is the embalmed head of an illithid.

A large goliath has just finished sharpening a particularly curved scimitar and places it back in its case as you enter.

"Well well... who do we have here then?" he asks and you can tell that he sounds tired, annoyed and almost angry.

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler
    Show

Bumping.

For Great Justice!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

"Allright, thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I will be here tomorrow by mid-day then!" Orgen smiles a friendly smile and heads back for the temple with a satisfied expression on his face. He had met some of the city's scholars and even befriended them. Now he got sent off on an exciting expedition representing them. This is turning out to be just what he expected, maybe even more.

13. - Top - End - #73

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

She takes her time checking everything in the room, it seems quite interesting and its proof that they have fought powerful enemies and survived. She would rather fight weak enemies, or not fight at all, but having powerful companions is always a nice thing.

That Krel is certainly big, and bald, and big. Well of course he is big and bald he is a Goliath. His marking and protrusions are quite interesting, I always was intriged by the stories of those giant brutes reading their future on their skin. But this particular Goliath might not be a brute, if the pile of papers on the table serve as an indicative he is quite savy. Estef sits on the chair that she is offered and looks at the man.

-I wasn't intending to scare him. I hope I didn't get him into trouble.
    Currently playing:

14. - Top - End - #74

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath gives you a brief salute as you depart.

You arrive at the temple without any problems and faster now that you know the exact way. Sitting at the temple steps you find Brothers Illuf and Brother Chima, two young members of the church.

They get up as you approach and wave at you.

"Is it true? We here you have accepted an important mission for the Church and a dinner is prepared in your honour!" Illuf, who is one of the youngest boys in the service of the church.

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath is indeed big, even by his race's standards and you can see indeed see the traditional tatoos of the mountain tribes both on his face and hands.

"On the contrary. I relieved him of guard duty at night and at the entrance so that we can have someone with a bit more courage on that position! I only wish someone would let ME do something a bit more interesting than push papers around but needs must be covered..." he says and stops to look at you.

"So given what he told me and the sign by our door I take it you are here to express interest in joining the expedition to Multum?"

15. - Top - End - #75

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

She smiles slightly and looks again at Kerl. He seemed to not be enjoying his administrative possition. Maybe a fighter turned into an ink pisser? Well who knows and who cares about that? If he were to really go out there and fight some monsters of the Underdark he should go and kill those monsters.

-It was just a torch.

That probably wasn't the wisest comment maybe the poor guard was going to be demoted or something. Trying to not think about the future of the guard Estef gladly switches the conversation towards business.

-I am interested, I am actually job hunting at the moment, coin to pay the expenses and if possible feed till the winter pass. Most of the jobs aren't paying really well so adventuring is becoming a more important option, so I've been thinking about which group to join... And you have here quite proof that you are succesful, so I came to the Bowels of Earth first.
    Currently playing:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen waves back at the young Brothers. He considers for a moment that he should perhaps be discrete about this thing, but they obviously already know and this would be the last place withholding knowledge is appropriate. "Hi, good afternoon. Yes, that appears to be the case. Quite exciting. How did you hear about that so quickly?"

17. - Top - End - #77

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath studies you for a few moments and sighs.

"Very well. You have indeed come to the right place then. We are currently recruiting for 2 groups that will join the Company and then undertake a mission to the Underdark. An old lost city has resurfaced and as the majority of its inhabitants and their off spring are considered dead the Lords of Waterdeep have given us the charter to it as the first to have located it...

We are relatively pressed for time, too much interest for these things you see, and as such we plan to send at least one of the groups out tomorrow." he pauses at this point.

"I can promise you a good reward plus some benefits for joining and I believe I will have 4-5 of you along with an Underdark Guide which should make things relatively safe... off course we ARE talking about the Underdark so there are scores of dangers but I bet you might know that already..."

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The boys look at each other and smirk and then they lower their voice to a conspiratorial whisper.

"Well... we dont know the details and it was only a rumour but you just confirmed it for us!" replies Chima.

"Exactly... we heard the Elders discussing earlier about putting together a small festivity for the brave man that under-took a dangerous yet very important mission and well we kinda guessed it would be you! So what is it about? can you tell us?"

18. - Top - End - #78

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

Estef nods in understanding. She has heard of the prime guides of the Underdark and certainly having one with the expedition would certainly raise their chances.

-I can leave tomorrow if needed, I don't have many people that would miss me here in Waterdeep.

She moves her hand towards the bow and shows it to Kerl.

-I am pretty good with it, in case an archer would prove useful, I am also a good tracker and a capable scout. And if need be I have certain resources, that I hope don't scare anymore guards.

She looks at the Goliath at the eye.

-So assuming you are interested what is this city? Multum you said? Resurfaced? Was something keeping it down?
    Currently playing:

19. - Top - End - #79

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

Krel listens without interrupting.

He smiles at the part you speak about scaring guards and nods but then his demeanour returns to the annoyed, sullen one from before.

"Tracker, archer and certain resources sound good..." he says and takes out a form from one of the desks drawers and hands it to you.

The form asks for your first and last name, particular talents and abilities as well as any current or past allegiances. It then goes on to outline the rules and regulations of the Company which are pretty standard for a more militaristic organisation including hierarchy and chain of command structures etc.

"Now to answer your question... Multum was a wealthy, cosmopolitan metropolis in the Upper Dark almost two weeks march from Araumycos. A bit more than a hundred years ago a group of particularly nasty outsiders attempted to conquer the city and when they failed they sank the city using portals to the Water plane. For whatever reason the city has now resurfaced and though alot has changed in the morphology of the area there are pockets of the city that have either remained intact or survived the flood and there are score of ... well... resources to be claimed..."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen bites his tongue a short moment. That's what you get when you are so trusting, naive. He then smiles at the boys. "Right, so that means that it is right now still sort of a secret, hm?" Orgen ponders a bit.

"Tell you what, if you manage to keep it a bit of a secret and allow the Elders to announce it tonight, I promise I will try and bring you an antique object when I get back. Not something of great monetary value, but a very old souvenir from a place far from here and a good story to go with it. Is that a deal?"

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

Unger Farshall sent us. He told us to report here as a favor to him. He said something about the underdark.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

22. - Top - End - #82

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

"Well, we dont know what they will announce at dinner but I guess so... yes" the boys reply.

When you make your offer they seem eager and pleased that their gamble paid off.

"You have a deal brother Orgen!" they say happily and let you continue your way in the temple.

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath raises an eyebrow and motions to you to follow him further inside at an office that looks very administrative, filled with books, tomes and paperwork. You also see three freshly sealed enveloped on the table stamped with the companys insignia.

"You dont seem of his ilk nor have I seen either of you before... I hope he explained that the Bowels of the Earth is a mercenary company and that we do get our hands dirty..." he says and looks at you.

23. - Top - End - #83

RedWizardGuy

Tra'vin snorts in derision. I have no fear of dirt and no option but to go on this mission. You could say, he clears his throat and glances at Calden, that my brother and I have been dealt a short hand. Not waiting for Calden's response, You will find us quite talented and resourceful.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

With a smile on his face Orgen proceeds. As soon as he finds a table, he gets his notebook out of his bag and scribbles a 'C' and an 'I' on the front. This way, he won't forget about his promise. Then his thoughts start wandering..."what if in the far future someone finds this book and sees that inscription? He could spend hours pondering on the meaning of it, and he would never find out..."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

name, last name, specialties/talents and extraordinary skills along with any previous allegiances you might hold.

Rolling her eyes when the goliath turns to grab the form for her to fill out, she puts a smile on her face as she takes it from him and dips the offered quill in an inkpot, thinking a moment before writing.

Name:

Talents: Lightblade fighting style. Quick reflexes. Forgery. Keen Social Skills. Extensive esoteric knowledge.

Previous Allegiances: None.

Finishing, she blows on the ink to dry it and then hands the form back to the goliath.

26. - Top - End - #86

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

She takes the paper and signs Estef Bluestar and then lists some of her abilities: Precise Archery, Tracking, and some tricks. Good scouting skills.

She looks at the previous allegiance space, well, she is not going to write down Mystra's Shooting Stars is she? No, she is not. None

She hands the form back to Krel before looking at him back again inquisitively.

-Anything special that we are expecting at the city? Anything I should prepare myself to deal with?
    Currently playing:

27. - Top - End - #87

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

"As of now we dont have any indication of what we will find. We do expect that there might be... how should I put it... restless spirits there which is common when a whole city dies in the space of a few instants..." he says and pauses to look at you.

"Additionally the reason we are sending an armed and armored, experienced group and not just some diggers is that we fear, as I said already, that forces not loyal or obedient to Waterdeep may also try to claim our prize..."

He takes your form, looks it over and puts it aside with a nod.

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath looks over your form and nods.

"Very well. May I ask what you mean by esoteric knowledge? Also if you have any questions now is the time to ask them..." he indicates as he places the form on the desk and seals it.

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The thought entertains you indeed as you make your notes. You make your note and are generally left alone.

At some point a librarian does stop to inform you that in a couple of hours the dinner will be saved in the temples grand hall...

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

"What does it mean you have no option? I have been told that the men he would send are doing this with their hearts in it gentlemen. If there are reasons you feel obliged or forced to do this I am unsure if I can sign you up... I dont want people to threaten the missions because they have been blackmailed and then will flake out on first chance!" he says rather seriously.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm? Oh, I guess I just meant I have a wide array of varied knowledge. I pick up so many different things. No questions."

29. - Top - End - #89

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

Well it seems that everything is ready, just meeting Kevan again and getting whatever she needs before the final quest starts. She smiles at Krel and makes a slight reverence.

-Then I better make peace with the goddess before leaving to the Underdark. Do you need me now? Or should we meet tomorrow in the morning?
    Currently playing:

30. - Top - End - #90

RedWizardGuy

Our motivations for joining this mission are our own. Tra'vin leans a bit forward on the desk. His face takes on a very serious manner However, I can assure that we are men of honor. We will not abandon this mission or those that come with us. I pledge by the great judge Kelemvor himself that I will succeed on this mission or die in the attempt. I will not be guided to the afterlife with a broken promise on my soul.