New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

"Camping would suit me fine. I've been cooped up for too long; a night under the stars will do me good."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Calden

Eyes shining at the prospect of a tavern "But there might be a game of cards ...or maybe dice ahead ! and nice soft beds..so very soft.

Yes, Yes we must definitely push ahead to the card table ! err Tavern I mean."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Mildly annoyed at the narrow focus and attention of his companion, Orgen turns towards Calden. "Hrm, so....does this mean you are treating us on a night at an inn, then?" He shoots Calden a meaningfull look: I guess not, huh? "What about this. I am sure you carry a deck of cards...we could play some out here tonight, if you'd explain us the game. I'd be up for that." He smiles.

4. - Top - End - #184

Zombie

Calden

Shocked and obviously trying to think fast. "Err Well....no I hadn't planned to pay for everyone. Ah well, don't get the nice soft bed everytime eh !"

But sadly, no cards on me, had to leave my last deck somewhat...swiftly. You know how things go sometimes. On to the campsite ! At least I can get off my feet.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Your chatting does not phase the kobold who nods and starts off towards the hill indicated.

Once there you can easily find traces of past camps having been set-up here. Remains of bonfires along with a few bones from birds and small animals are scattered around as are holes on the ground from where people might have pitched their tents.

The kobold indicates how the camp should be set up and then smiles.

"So any of you can see in the night? I suggest two people keeping watch at a time since there is 6 of us... that means 3 groups of 2 and while the first group still has some light to go by, the 2nd and 3rd will be in pitch black. As such it would be nice to have someone sharp... I can be with either the 2nd or the 3rd watch since I can indeed see at complete darkness..." he explains.

Spoiler
    Show

Basically consider that this will be your 'standard' watch format so we dont go through this again... unless if you want to change it for particular reasons. Feel free to discuss it on OOC.

Format would be (just giving as an example)

Watch 1
    Tra'vin and Calden,
    Watch 2
    Miranda and Kobold
    Watch 3
    Estef and Orgen

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-07-19 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Shapeshifting Guide
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

"Well, my senses are pretty sharp, but I do need light to see." Orgen looks around. "What about you guys?"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

"My eyes are as human as any. Likewise."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Calden and I can take first watch.

He digs around in his pack and pulls out two seemingly lit torches from his bag. These should help. I never leave home without them
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

"I can take the middle watch. I am trained to handle broken nights."

10. - Top - End - #190

Spoiler
    Show

So we have:

Calden + Tra'vin
    Orgen + PunPun
    Estef + Miranda

You finalise the watches and the kobold wastes little time. He prepares the fire and warms his own small portion of food. He then sets his sleeping bag along with an extra thick blanket as close to the fire as he feels comfortable, eats and turns in.

"Get a good rest. We have another long day ahead of us!" he says with a sleepy smile.

11. - Top - End - #191

You all eventually settle down as the light grows dimmer and dimmer. The watches set and with a full belly you turn in for the night.

As the night progresses it grows colder and colder but staying close to the fire and wrapped in your blankets you do not feel the bite of Autumn in the North as much.

And before you know it the sun is rising on the horizon and you are all back on your feet for a quick morning bite. The kobold guide takes his time scattering the ashes of your fire and then leads you back towards the roads.

Today you continue your march next to the road and it steadily approaches and then follows the river. As such you have the opportunity to see that on the waters of Dessarin there is actually more traffic than on the road you are on.

Still even the road is not without its travellers. You take an 'unscheduled stop' when you come accross a small company of gnomes and halflings proclaiming themselves "The Great Minstrels of the Surbin Hills" and insist on you watching the play they plan to put on in Waterdeep. A few more travellers and even a couple of merchant caravans have taken the opportunity to stop and watch and it is suprisingly good.

All fun must end though and PunPun pushes you to continue. As the day grows darker and the sun sets behind you, he indicates yet another location for you to rest and prompts you to set camp.

Once more the night comes and goes with no event to break the stillness. It is becoming more evident though that day by day you are moving away from the busy life of Waterdeep and the sounds of life around you is louder and less restrained. Those that keep watch are even suprised a few times due to the sudden cooing of night birds far too close for comfort and even the passing of a fox chasing her dinner.

This goes on for a couple days more, one especially tiring given that Pun Pun pushes you to go on a forced march for a few more hours. The amount of caravans and solitary travellers have diminished and whats worse the ground on which you tread has become more difficult to follow.

"We are passing next to the Stump Bog" he explains "...and though once it only covered a small area far from the roads it has extended despite the lack of water fall..."

You have not cleared out of the outskirts of them bog when the time comes to camp and having forced marched the day before it is becoming difficult to go on without proper rest...

"What will it be folks? We stop here or press on for three more hours to clear the bog first? I personally do not like this place... I am no kid to be scared by old wives tales but the place has a sinister reputation... many a traveller got lost with no sign of him to be heard since and though my bet of his fate would include sharp steel and brigands the locals say it is the spirits that done did it... "

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

"We can handle ourselves, and we need a rest," Miranda voices wearily, massaging a stitch in her side as they pause to confer. Scraping a bit of mud off of her boot and wiping a forearm across her sweaty brow, she pauses to think if she's heard anything particularly dangerous lurking in the bog.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[21] nature!
    (1d20+4)[12] local!
    (1d20+4)[21] dungeoneering!

13. - Top - End - #193

Zombie

Calden

Wearily looking over at Punpun and clearly exhausted from the marching "I'd just as soon get past this muck before resting...as much as I'd like to. I have to agree with Miranda...we'll be able to handle ourselves just in case"

14. - Top - End - #194

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

You cant recall anything particular about this location but you are experienced with 'nature' in general and as such you know that swamps and bogs are the habitats of many reptiles, insects and other such nasties. Your adventuring experience though has been enough to know that apart from such 'harmless' things you also get darker creatures in such environments. Aberrations and the like make desolate places like these their home often enough.

On the other hand given how close to the road this place is and how well travelled you doubt that anything significant would dwell here if it was that deadly...

The kobold shrugs and after a short while indicates a spot that is more dry and you can actually camp on it.

Indeed you set up camp and light your fires and it is then that you face the biggest terror this area has to offer. Swarms of mosqueetos and flies descend upon you in droves making sleeping and resting a nightmare...

It is a little before sun-rise that the weary guards, Estef and Miranda, realise something strange... for the past 5 or so minutes no insect has crawled under, over or next to you and even the droning mosqueetos have gone quiet...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Stifling a yawn, Miranda creeps quietly over to Estef and taps the archer on the shoulder, putting a finger to her lips in a motion to keep quiet. Keeping her blade steady with a hand on the hilt, she crouches and whispers into her comrade's ear.

"Keep your eyes open. I think something's coming. I'll rouse the others."

Having warned Estef, Miranda moves around to the rest, putting a hand over their mouth before waking each of them to prevent any of them from crying out. As quick as she can, she delivers the same warning of possible impending peril before going back and leaning casually up against a tree, in actuality tensed for instant combat.

16. - Top - End - #196

RedWizardGuy

Being suddenly woken from a sound sleep wasn't something new to Tra'vin. Tra'vi n nods to Miranda in understanding. Rolling over he feigns sleep but keeps his ears peeled for the sounds of approaching footsteos.

17. - Top - End - #197

Zombie

Being awakened in such a manner he quickly gets the idea. Trying to successfully to lie there waiting, nearly falling back asleep.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen wakes up and gives Miranda a short nod, after which he swiftly and silently gets up, drawing his bow.

19. - Top - End - #199

You have all been roused and ready just as you start seeing something moving in the darkness.

From deeper in the bogs two large shapes burst forth and only stop for a moment to look at you, as suprised as you are to have met someone here.

Both creatures are large and lanky moss-colored humanoids with an elongated, toothy snout and appears to be covered in bits of mushrooms and other such growths. They have long spindly arms but they seem quite powerful none the less.

From the distance behind them you can barely hear a light buzzing sound just over their loud footsteps.

Spoiler
    Show

Your group (as a whole) gets to go first.

Knowledge nature to tell what they are/what the sound of buzzing is (2 different checks).
    Sense motive to understand more of their motives.

And actions off course. This round they count as flat-footed.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen looks at the creatures and digs in his memory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge nature for:
    creatures (1d20+8)[10]
    buzzing (1d20+8)[12]

I will have my action depend on the outcome of these rolls

21. - Top - End - #201

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately at this dangerous moment and still slow from sleep all you can recall or tell from the signs is that the two large giant like creatures ahead of you are some kind of trolls... little else though comes to mind, nor about the buzzing nor about their nature.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Gripping her sword's hilt but not drawing, Miranda thinks if she's ever seen anything like this before.

Spoiler
    Show
    nature (1d20+4)[16]

a 2nd roll for knowledge devotion (1d20+4)[7] just +1 atk/damage then.

23. - Top - End - #203

RedWizardGuy

Tra'vin realizes the ploy is over. He quickly rolls to his feet and readys his sword and shield. He focuses on the two creatures attempting to guess their reaction.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1D20+4)[21]

I will assume the stance Iron Guards Glare.
    Last edited by Barthac; 2012-07-26 at 11:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Zombie

Calden

Hearing the commotion he quickly gets up and steps behind Tra'vin attempting to make himself unnoticed before moving around to the left of him some. Tapping his brother on the shoulder as he goes past to signal hiding nearby to the left.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide in plain sight.
    Hide: (1d20+18)[23]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

"Swamp trolls!" Miranda calls out. "Use fire on them! Don't bother with acid though."

Knowing there was little point to trying to be diplomatic with such creatures -- if they even spoke the same tongue -- she mentally prepares herself for battle.

26. - Top - End - #206

RedWizardGuy

Roll for Granted Manuevers
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d5)[1]
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d3)[3]

27. - Top - End - #207

RedWizardGuy

Trolls Tra'vin says with disgust, Whdid it have to be trolls. Studying them for a moment he calls out I don't think they are in the mood to fight us. I think they are running from somehting else. Tra'vin blanches, suddenly realizing the implications of what he just said.

Granted Manuevers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crusader's Strike, Shield Block, Foehammer
    Last edited by Barthac; 2012-07-26 at 03:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

The two trolls look behind them for a second and then back to you.

They seem lost and uncertain. It is then that the bigger one takes action after another moments thought.

It rushes forward jumping over your camp fire and passing through your ranks but making no attempt to attack any of you. The smaller one also follows emboldened by its companion.

Spoiler
    Show

More or less everyone with a melee weapon in their hands can take AoO on them.

They are doing a full run move.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Miranda merely stares open-mouthed as the trolls run through the camp, caught quite off-guard. Then she gathers her wits and looks around intently at her companions, hand still on the hilt of her sword but not drawing it.

"Stand our ground or follow suit? What do you think?"

30. - Top - End - #210

Zombie

Calden

Circling around the camp a bit to where the trolls come from and peering from the edge of the light Calden looks into the darkness trying to see exactly what they were running from.