New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default 2.e Clairemont Academy IC

The freedom city national anthem rings through the wide courtyard of Claremont academy, echoed proudly by the elder students the academy faculty. In the centre of the courtyard nervously stand the new students of the campus, the six of you included, dressed in your best suits. From around you, you can feel generations of heroes looking down upon you from the walls and the statues, and the gentle smile of the headmaster.
    As the Anthem dies away, the headmaster limps towards the podium at the centre of the courtyard, his raven topped walking stick clacking noticeably on the pavement. “Welcome, young men and women, to another glorious year at Claremont academy. Here you will learn how to live in the world with your great abilities, how best to control your powers for the benefit of yourselves and those around you, and how to avoid hurting yourself. Amongst you are the next generations of the world’s heroes, be you from the richest of families, other planets, or the depths of the streets. Yet do not feel you need use your abilities as a hero, for your life is your own, be your goal focused in sport, business, or the world of the celebrity. To help this, you will be receiving the finest education we can offer in worlds both the mundane and the extraordinary. I am Duncan Summers, and I will be your headmaster for your stay here. ”
    “Now, I understand you likely do not want to listen to an older man talk much longer, so after a few vital announcements I will let you get acquainted. First and foremost, no student is to try and use their powers for personal gain or control whilst on the grounds of the academy. Secondly, we will not tolerate discrimination amongst our students – you come from varied homes and cultures, but no one of you is better than any other. Thirdly, we would like to bring everyone’s attention that each of you has a responsibly to your normal studies as well as your powers, and someone skipping classes to “patrol the city” will be treated as any other turant. And lastly, no matter the rumours you have heard, Claremont does not endorse the super team Next-Gen, and try outs for the team are not being concluded in the gym at 6:30 pm two weeks on Wednesday.
    You will be shown to your dormitories in half an hour. For now, I’d advise you get to know one another.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 2.e Clairemont Academy IC

Unlike the other new students, Emily is not in a suit; a pair of blue jeans, a dark red tanktop, a sweater, and a simple pair of sneakers took the place of a suit. Her hair, normally hanging to just past her shoulders, was pulled back into a low pony tail. A toothpick stuck out of the corner of her mouth, normally it'd be a cigarette but being on school grounds enforced by superpowered individuals it was a bad idea, even if unlit.

She shrugs and starts wandering the crowds as the speech concludes, just looking for people that may be trouble in the academy. Mainly the tough guys that would think her powers were stupid, teachers' pets that'd report her for showing how "stupid" her powers were, and the "cool" kids that'd likely try showing off against her to get their points across. She was really not happy with the numbers she saw, of any of the groups.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #3

Fidgeting nervously in her new clothes, Avari glanced around at the other new students. It was odd really – normally she would be fine with an occasion like this. But despite this her nerves were getting the better of her. Trying to calm herself, she examined her (she hoped) new friends. They all seemed to be normal-looking (not that she was any particular expert) kids, despite their purported powers. That was another odd thing for her. She was not anything special among her caste at home, but here she was something special. Suddenly aware that the speaker had briefly stopped talking, she returned her focus back to him.

As he finished talking, Avari once more glanced around the small crowd, this time feeling slightly confused about the last announcement. Putting it down to lack of familiarity with the language, she took a deep breath and prepared to introduce herself to the group.
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Arc had been one of the people intently listening to the headmaster's speech. This place was so interesting compared to his old school and prospects, so he wanted to have a clear grasp on what the rules were here. It wouldn't do to miss out because of some stupid misunderstanding. He actually wished that the headmaster could have continued speaking, which would let him get a better grasp on the way things were around here, but c'est la vie. At least soon he'll be able to get out of the suit and back into more comfortable clothes, and then can finish off the work on his coat.

As the crowds shift around he strolls out of the bright sunlight to a shady patch near the side, a nice vantage point on the gathering. It doesn't make much sense to go out and meet up with random people right now, he figures, as we don't even know if or when we'll be sorted out into classes. Better to wait until things are set. Feeling slightly giddy at the change in scenery compared to just a few months ago, he coolly leans back to relax, take everything in, maybe wait to see if anyone interesting or noteworthy will crop up near him.

The sky is very nice today, he reflects.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Amy Anderson, or at least whatever she was, sat in her brand new uniform staring off into space blankly. Oh sure, she heard the words, even struggled not to smile at a few of the things he said, but aside from the occasional blink her expression remained blank. As the headmaster neared the end of his speech Amy's cheek itched and a strand of her hair quickly went down to scratch it before she could notice, but she quickly put a stop to it and glanced around nervously.

Luckily, it appeared that the seats in this assembly weren't sorted due to name or sex but by plot-relevance. Heading what the headmaster had said, Amy tentatively leaned over to the person sitting next to her but loud enough probably for the next person to hear as well.

"H-hi." She started, cursing herself, there she was acting like Amy again when she wasn't. "I'm Am.. I, uh, I'm a monster." Amy finished lamely, her cheeks tinting red in a very unmonster like fashion.
    Last edited by Buwh; 2012-06-07 at 01:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Emily hears someone say they're a monster and snorts, "doubt it," she says, "Name's Emily, Emily Creed, and you are...?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"No, really.. I'm.. It's complicated. I guess you can call me Amy, Amy Anderson." The normal looking slightly cute raven-haired girl said back, staring down at her hands and twiddling them. Dang, why was she acting like this? She'd practiced trying to behave less like she was human, less like she was actually Amy.. because she wasn't human, not really. Her hand curled into a fist as she mentally berated herself. She didn't have the right to act shy in this situation.

8. - Top - End - #8

It was weird wearing a suit. Alexander couldn't remember a time when he'd worn a suit before. Suits weren't exactly as comfortable as his normal clothes, but ah well. He took a moment to survey the other students, before the one next to him talks to him, causing him to look around and get a good look at her.

"Monster? You don't look like one to me. Name's Alexander."

9. - Top - End - #9

"Well, you don't look like one, you don't act like one, and you probably wouldn't be here if you were one," Emily says, "I'm probably less human than most people here, I'm half-alien," she holds up a hand and produces a simple black balloon, "not being human doesn't make you a monster, what you do is what makes you one. And being human doesn't make you human either, some humans are monsters, some nonhumans are more human than humans. My father taught me that when i was little."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Overhearing a group talking in front of her, Avari sees her chance. "Hello? I wish to introduce myself. My name is Avar-i-eth-nul. People call me Avari for short. Emily Creed here is half-alien. I am all alien."

11. - Top - End - #11

Arc continues to powerwatch, suspecting more and more that he should get involved... somehow. People are starting to group already, some of them displaying their powers -- some flashes of light here and there, some levitating items, nothing grandiose, just a few casual demonstrations.

He looks at the conveniently centered nearby group awkwardly meeting with each other. One girl is trying and failing very hard to remain aloof and emotionless, while another is pulling a balloon out of thin air. Seeing a third person join their conversation, Arc overthinks whether or not and how he should proceed.

He could go over and introduce himself... Given the situation he'd rather not be left out, but then he has to keep up appearances, and the type of introduction matters as well as the level of initiative he should go through, especially with the sheer lack of information he has about the social structure in the Academy, and how magic is treated, if people without innate 'powers,' like having to use magical systems as a medium to get the same effects, looked down on here, and where he would fall into such a system, and he should really take advantage of the opening in their conversation right now--

Well, you only die once...

He decides to keep it simple and strolls as casually as humanly possible to the group in time to hear someone with a name he knows he will never be able to remember properly beat him to the punch and introduce herself. Feeling very lost, he resigns himself and simply walks over and says "Hello" to her.
    Last edited by betafin; 2012-06-07 at 05:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Default Re: 2.e Claremont Academy IC

Emily turns to look at the new guy, "yo," she says, giving a short wave, "you one of the new students too?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sam looks like a relatively normal, if somewhat geeky, kid, dressed in a slightly oversized suit with a tie that just looks a little odd. His black hair is a little unkempt and appears to have hints of blue throughout as if he had dyed his hair and the color hasn't yet washed out. He listens carefully as the headmaster give his speech but looks around at his fellow students during making eye contact accompanied by a nod and a smile in greeting.

When the speech is over Sam makes his way around the new and old students intoducing himself. When he notices a small group near the center of the new students talking together and walks over. Hello, my name is Sam, its good to meet you all. Does anyone know what that bit about the try-outs was referring too? Is there a sign up sheet, or is it a walk-in sort of thing?

14. - Top - End - #14

"He said they weren't happening," Emily says, rolling her eyes as she does so, "I think the closest thing to 'tryouts' this early in the year will be a class to get used to and gauge our powers. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to it, my powers are always underestimated, it's annoying how much they do, but i'd probably be dead if they didn't."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Arc pauses before he answers the not-suit girl, and then waits for her to finish answering the new arrival's question.

"Yes." He then looks at the new faded-blue streaked guy. "That was an unofficial endorsement. Off the records."

16. - Top - End - #16

Avari feels relieved at the lack of response to her origins. They do not even care! This is a far than was expected - no-one even mentioned the blue skin! Maybe I will fit in here.

As some more newcomers join the group, Avari greets them.
    "Hello, fellow students." Turning to Arc, she asks "What should we call you?"

17. - Top - End - #17

"Emily Creed, or Drift when I'm in costume," Emily says, then she asks, "so, what planet are you from? My father was from one of Jupiter's moons."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"I don't even know what I am." Amy said, brushing a hand through her long black hair that seemed to shudder when she touched it. But seeing two aliens did make her feel a little better. "I've never seen aliens before." She said, her voice a little awed. "I'm s-sorry about earlier.. I didn't mean to offend any of you with my.. comments about not being human. It's very hard for me. I, well, only recently found out and it's been tough to cope with myself. I know that's probably stupid but I can't help it.."

"I'm very scared about.. trying out my powers but they said I needed to learn to control them." She looked up at that Emily girl curiously, "Why, what are your powers? I think mine are pretty silly too, I'd laugh if I didn't know better."

19. - Top - End - #19

"I can produce something akin to latex from my skin as well as a lighter than air gas that's lighter than even Hydrogen. Pretty much i make balloons," she does what she did earlier, only this time the balloon is produced slowly from her hand, beads of red show first, followed by them merging into a second layer of skin almost, then it bubbles up into a balloon, "I can somewhat control the density of the gas while it's in the balloon, but otherwise i can just produce it. It's not all that hard to see why it's considered a 'weak' power, but I found ways to use it..." the balloon shrinks quickly, fitting in the palm of Emily's hand, and she tosses it up, letting it fall onto the ground with a loud thump, like it was made of metal with a thin layer of rubber coating it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Arc answers Avata... Apath... Avo...

Arc answers the blue girl's question, mentally searching if he has pen and paper on him so he can write that long name down if she says it again.

"Just 'Arc' will do." He hears about a 'costume name' and notes that he might need to come up with one.

21. - Top - End - #21

Surprised at the interest, rather than fear, Avari felt a little taken aback. "My home? It is a long way from here. Many systems at least. It is called Thas-il in our tongue - that means 'Mother Nurtures', I believe."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A little taken a back by the response, Sam quiets done for a moment until Arc speaks up, "Yes that's how I took it too. If he wasn't plugging it for everyone then he wouldn't have told us specifically the where and when" Sam smiles at everyone and begins listenting to their conversation and quickly becomes fascinated by the talk of alien worlds and the demonstration of powers. "Woah, that is so cool! I've never met so many incredible people. My family's pretty ordinary, mostly chemists . . . a couple of physicists. Nothing remotely otherworldly." Sam is clearly feeking out quite a bit about this whole school/superhero/new worlds thing, but he naturally radiates a strong likability so people tend to forgive his childlike eagerness.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Mhmm," Arc responds.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Wow that's really cool!" Amy exclaims, watching Emily perform her act. "You must be a big hit at parties." She continues, stifling a giggle by covering her mouth. "I'm glad to meet so many nice and interesting people here on my first day, I was really worried things would go wrong. Still am." The girl with the hair mutters, while a piece of her namesake kind of lifts up and seems to take a look around.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Huh...the only extraordinary thing I have is this pocket dimension thing that I can take things in and out of."

As Amy's hair starts moving around, Alexander's attention is drawn to it, and he reaches out to the moving hair. "Your hair's moving? Is that your thing?"

26. - Top - End - #26

"Cool? I do not think I understand your use of the word correctly."
    Last edited by Mekboy; 2012-06-09 at 02:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"It's a slang term," Emily says, "kinda hard to explain it since most people just use it without thinking about what it means," she scratches her head a little, thinking of how to explain it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"It means an upgraded form of 'very nice,'" Arc says without glancing over, eyes fixed on the hair. He very casually looks to the back of her head, checking for the presence of another face, coincidentally having a small familiarity with Japanese historical... oddities, due to a recent project.

He also reflects on how unfairly convenient some peoples' abilities are without them even trying. "Very... odd ability. Very useful." This is directed towards multiple people.
    Last edited by betafin; 2012-06-09 at 05:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"What, you don't like balloons?" Amy questions, looking over at Avari with a quizzical expression before Arc and Emily made her confusion moot. "Ohh, you don't understand slang! I'm sorry, I don't even know how I know it because.." She continues before letting out a yelp of surprise as Alexander touches her hair.

"Don't touch my hair!" Amy exclaims, quickly moving a few steps away and trying to brush her hair back down. Touching it felt like real hair but also.. unusual, almost like a snake's many muscles. The mass of hair wiggles a bit before calming down leaving Amy blushing and humiliated. "I'm.. uh, sorry. Yeah, it's my 'thing' I guess. I just don't like people touching it.. haha.. I remember never liking anybody to touch even as a child which is weird.." She trailed off, still trying to cover her hair with her hands. "I'm sure it won't hurt you. It just worries me." The girl attempted to reassure.

30. - Top - End - #30

"I thank you, Arc. My knowledge of this language is a little restricted."

How very embarassing. I have not even finished one conversation, and inexperience shows.

Seeing Amy's hair twitch and settle, Avari is somewhat amazed.

"Your hairs are alive? Wondrous! Do you control them, or do they act independant to you?
    Last edited by Mekboy; 2012-06-10 at 03:35 PM.