New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    Sorry to add to what appears to be a rapidly growing backlog, but could you give me a tiering of my Doll Maker? I'm aiming for a solid tier 3. I've been tweaking/refining it since it first went up, and I'm hoping for an idea of where it stands before I apply any further big buffs or nerfs.
    I'm not Morph Bark, but I thought I'd help out by looking at the class and trying to tier it to the best of my ability. I apologize for the length (I have written essays much shorter than my review) the class really gave me a lot to think about (good thing). So thanks to that my thoughts are a bit scattered. I hope that this helped anyway. As I was going over the class I kept getting side-tracked by yet another option that really changed how the class worked.

I looked over it, but I'm not really sure what tier it should be, it looks like a really fun and interesting class with great flavor. It's got a lot of potential and very unique class features. The main issue is that the dolls are pretty mediocre on their own but have a lot of potential thanks to the Doll Feats, Magic Strings and Maintained Spell class features. Use the doll feats right and you are able to switch them out given an hours notice, probably some of the best long-term mass buffing (on your dolls only) in the game. They make incredibly good usage of the spells they have, and have feats to make them even better.

My gut says high Tier 3 assuming moderate to high optimization, they lack the sheer game-breaking power that would catapult them to tier 2. It's definitely not a beginner's class, mainly because you have so many options, not only during character creation but also during play. I would need to see how one actually plays before I can make a better decision. A Doll Master not taking advantage of the Doll Feats, Magic Strings or Maintained Spells will probably feel more like a tier 5 class. It's one thing to need the moderate optimization assumed by the tier system, but the Doll Master seems to be a step beyond that. There's a lot to absorb and think about. I mean, if a Wizard wants to cast Create Pit he just prepares it and then casts it. The Doll Master is a lot more involved.

Summoners (PF) are already infamous with slowing things down, thanks to the sheer amount of actions that they have to be able to juggle. I think that the Doll Master is actually worse. Because they can have a large number of dolls on the table and each doll has it's own very large set of options (even within the platoons). It's a lot to keep straight. My best guess would be to make the base-line dolls a little more potent and taking away some of the doll feat options (not how many they get over 20 levels, but some of the more superfluous options like Strong Connection and Animal Form)

In conclusion, I'm not sure what to buff or nerf, it seems like the class has a really delicate balance, it can buff it's dolls extremely well, but is screwed if they take a big hit and several die. It's got a lot of tactical options, but they might be over-whelming to actually use. I don't want to seem too negative here, the class is very well made, and there are many, many options to make the class and lots of combinations. I think that if you want to feel like the commander of your own small army, you are going to be very happy with the class, but for your more average player, this may be a bit over their head. It's a well-designed class with issues that would probably require a big overhaul to it's basic concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm currently steeped in work to resolve my application to a new school, so I won't be able to set myself to Tiering until I have completed it. Feel free to continue to post requests, or even comment on others' work with an estimation of your own in the meantime.

As always, stay 'brewing, my friends.
    Speaking of which, are you ever going to finish that botanomorphist homebrew of yours?

3. - Top - End - #723

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    -snip-
    Now that you've pointed it out, streamlining does seem to be the biggest thing the class needs right now. While I attempted to simplify it with the Platoons and making buffs shared instead of tracked individually, a Doll Maker is almost certain to slow down combat even with that, and have a high learning curve besides.

I'm going to see what I can come up with to make it simpler/quicker to play without affecting balance. Thanks for the in-depth review of the class.

On that note: I hope everything goes well, Morph- a few friends of mine have been dealing with that recently, and it sounds like a major hassle.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Would you consider ranking my Knight of Dullahan? I was shooting for maybe High Four - Low Three:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=16827292

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    Speaking of which, are you ever going to finish that botanomorphist homebrew of yours?
    I'm afraid not. There's a lot of ways to expand upon it, but I haven't had the inspiration to work on it, and after so long a time I doubt I will anytime soon.

Should there be anyone wanting to create homebrew based off of it, or even flesh out the class into a fully working one, they have my permission. Just leave a little link or mention in the intro about it.

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    On that note: I hope everything goes well, Morph- a few friends of mine have been dealing with that recently, and it sounds like a major hassle.
    Yeah, it is in most cases. So far it's gone relatively smoothly, but I have had to make several calls to the school to make sure everything was in order the way I thought it was. It may still not be, but if it is, I should be done by mid-February at the latest.

If not, it'll take me until June.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

I submit, for your reviewing pleasure when you have the time, the tall tale a class built around the idea of taking skills up to 11. Now with a casting variant.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #727
    Bugbear in the Playground

Posted these awhile back but still would love to know about where they rank?

Judgemaster
    Opportunist
    Strategist
    Shadow Shifter

At the very least maybe passers-by will see them and stop by for a PEACH to help me get them to 110%.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Shenra: Human Wu Jen(3.5)
    Awesome Avatar by gurgleflep!

Weekends will be difficult for me to post.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thanks for making this list! I really enjoy reading it, and hope to one day make a class that hits the top of the charts!
    I am a Curio Munchkin. No ordinary Chargebarians or Dragonwrought Kobolds for me. It's gotta be a specially bred Thri-kreen supersoldier that escaped the torturous experiments with nothing but luck and two awesome templates!
    Homebrew Projects

Why GiantIP is not babyproof

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyYanmega View Post
    Thanks for making this list! I really enjoy reading it, and hope to one day make a class that hits the top of the charts!
    You mean somewhere in the middle, right?

I mean, it is my understanding that few people set out to make a Tier 1.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

You do know that being on the top means you've made a powerful class, not necessarily a good one, right?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Shhh, just let the boy dream.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, Morph, if you're still looking for vestige stuff I went on a bit of a creativity binge and present to you:

A Vestige using base class (intended to be tier 1 to 2 *hides ashamed face*)

And 2 sets of rules for making pacts with devils to bind them, one for binding a little bit of an arch-devil's will* and one for allowing a fiend to possess you in exchange for vestige benefits**.

And a diabolist binder-warlock theurge***

Hope you enjoy.

*: Now including the Lords of the 9 (Mephistopheles twice), Moloch former Lord of the Sixth and Zariel former Lord of the First. If anybody knows a duke or count of Hell to suggest, just post it there and I'll see if I can do something with it.

**: Now including 6 devils and 3 demons and I have more to do. I mean you can't bind a devil of every level.

***: I should not be allowed to read sidebars about re-fluffing things.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-02-11 at 12:01 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a finished class! Please look at it when you get the chance! It's the Shield Guardian in my sig.

You are still updating the list, right?
    I am a Curio Munchkin. No ordinary Chargebarians or Dragonwrought Kobolds for me. It's gotta be a specially bred Thri-kreen supersoldier that escaped the torturous experiments with nothing but luck and two awesome templates!
    Homebrew Projects

Why GiantIP is not babyproof

14. - Top - End - #734
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a finished class! Please look at it when you get the chance! It's the Shield Guardian in my sig.

He does, though he doesn't update it with everything he sees.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

I believe they are, though they did say they'd be busy till the middle of February. I will also note, though, that the tier system applies to Base Classes not Prestige Classes (someone did try and tier how they affect the entry class somewhere but that's a whole other kettle of fish). I'd have to really pit Morph if they were tiering homebrew PrCs I mean they're numerous and legion. Also realized some of the ones I've made are possibly lost now since I never bothered to add them to my extended sig

Current Projects:

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

i feel like someone (not morph) should quarry the topic for a list of everything that has been missed
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

17. - Top - End - #737

I have created a few classes for beginners. I've set my goal to be (high) Tier 3. I'd love to have a second opinion on how they place. I'm aware rating the Medium is not possible without spirits, but the other three are pretty simple (well, that's the goal at least).
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

THE FORUMS MAKE THEIR RETURN, AND THUS BEGINS A NEW AGE

Also, I've had my interview for the new school, went well, but not well enough that I'm an instant shoe-in. I'll have to pass another test and check whether they pick some students by lottery, because a year after I entered high school the system changed and the old system's diplomas are no longer valid as of this year, at least for those schools that pick students by lottery. Which makes for some really bad timing for me.

They at least told me I was near the top of the "maybe" list due to checking all boxes but "has made a video game". Which I would've checked if I still had my results from a course from a couple years ago, but that's been gone for years.

I'll be occupied with a few such things the coming week, mostly Empire, but next week I will tier a few handfuls of classes again. After that, it likely won't be a steady thing, but next week there will be some.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    THE FORUMS MAKE THEIR RETURN, AND THUS BEGINS A NEW AGE

Also, I've had my interview for the new school, went well, but not well enough that I'm an instant shoe-in. I'll have to pass another test and check whether they pick some students by lottery, because a year after I entered high school the system changed and the old system's diplomas are no longer valid as of this year, at least for those schools that pick students by lottery. Which makes for some really bad timing for me.

They at least told me I was near the top of the "maybe" list due to checking all boxes but "has made a video game". Which I would've checked if I still had my results from a course from a couple years ago, but that's been gone for years.

I'll be occupied with a few such things the coming week, mostly Empire, but next week I will tier a few handfuls of classes again. After that, it likely won't be a steady thing, but next week there will be some.
    I don't suppose we can find some way to contact the class-creators on the tier list and inform them that they need to remake their tables? As-is, with all the broken tables it's too much of a hassle to use anything here, kind of undermining the point.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmet View Post
    I don't suppose we can find some way to contact the class-creators on the tier list and inform them that they need to remake their tables? As-is, with all the broken tables it's too much of a hassle to use anything here, kind of undermining the point.
    well i put a line in my sig telling people to ping me about it
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I have fixed all my tables.

Maybe you could add a tag next to each listed class to indicate if the table has been fixed or not. Or even sort the current list into two separate lists.

Incidentally, I would like to request that Trissociate be moved from the Fix Class list, to the Homebrew list. Since while it is usable as a class fix, that was not its primary purpose, as evidenced from these sample builds: Angel, Dhampir Stalker.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW, I'm working on it, but the time (or rather energy) I can devote to it is a limited resource, and the Guardian of Minds (Guardian of Hearts?), is really low on my list of things to fix... not least because I doubt anyone is going to use that poor Tier 5 (Tier 6?) thing.

My other Base Class is a higher priority, but that hasn't been Tiered yet.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

I think I fixed all my classes on this thread.

Now I'm gonna wait a bit before fixing the remaining mass of them.

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I fixed my Knight of Dullahan Just for submission's sake.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-04-09 at 01:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Would you mind reviewing these? They're a couple of archetypes that, when taken together, will upgrade the rogue a bit (to low T3, or at least that's my hope). Of course, any input about the homebrew itself would be also greatly appreciated.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've fixed everything of mine.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Well, I have fixed all my tables.

Maybe you could add a tag next to each listed class to indicate if the table has been fixed or not. Or even sort the current list into two separate lists.
    That would be a hellish amount of work. However, PMing some of the more prolific brewers with a link to this table converter is something that could be done. It is one of the several converters, and sadly this one doesn't make it look like the old tables, but TheWombatOfDoom knows how to do that. I could ask him.

Informing everyone who's partaken in the homebrew contests could also be a good idea.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

im only not updating because most of my material i feel i could do better now then originally, or im just not caring.

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #749
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have so many to fix.... :( :( :( :( :(
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

All of my tables for things I still support are fixed, iirc.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.