New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    Sorry I haven't been very active lately. Middle of exams. Will be finished soon.
    Alright. Do you want to have something from Kasai for Ina to reply to, or would you rather move on? I know you asked what they were doing when I asked this before, but I don't think I ever heard back from you on whether or not I should actually post...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Related to which, it really rather sucks to be able to watch the first two episodes of something, then have the third tell you it has different technical requirements.

Though that's not actually, y'know, something involving Railgun specifically, or even the exact thing you posted, just my general frustration at having recently tried to finish/rewatch a series and that happening.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Sorry if this is naive, but are we allowed to assist in doing stuff that is illegal within the USA? I think the rules state we are not supposed to do so... ^_^'

Then again, Americans (and probably some others) can apparently watch it free from Funimation's site. Curse you, Geography!

Again, sorry if that was rude.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Illegal!? Why I merely linked to google, which is a perfectly legitimate site!
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

4. - Top - End - #364
    171873124Giarc
    Guest in the Playground

Telling/showing someone from say, America, how to do something that is illegal there, but not illegal were you are telling/showing them from, is not illegal. I think. I could be lying. Or wrong. Or both. Or neither, and right.

Most sites (including Funanimation) work fine in Canada. All of the sites except for sites I actually want/need to go on.......could that be considered a hate crime? I know it would if they were discriminating by race, but I don't know if regionism qualifies as a crime, or even exists.

5. - Top - End - #365

If you ever want to be safe, you can always link the person to the corresponding FUNimation, Hulu, or CrunchyRoll streams. All of these are 100% legal in the United States (using advertisements as their source of revenue) and presumably blocked where the contracts do not apply.

For example, here's the FUNimation streams for Railgun:
    Railgun Streams

6. - Top - End - #366
    171873124Giarc
    Guest in the Playground

I don't know of many illegal anime streaming sites actually. Theres a lot for western animation and live action TV, but all anime streaming sites I've been on have been licensed. I didn't even know there were any, I just know that a few sites were taken down and that Hulu is only playable in America.

How does on judge illegal versus legal strea,mimg anyway?

More on topic, whats the best way to introduce a character in the IC?

7. - Top - End - #367

Well, basically, if it's licensed by an official distributor (such as FUNimation), it's legal. FUNimation and other licensing companies strikes contracts with the original Japanese studios and pays them royalties on sales/profits, which is 100% OK by US laws. Any non-official distributors (especially translations made by fans) are probably not.

If you need to introduce a character, just pop him in somewhere into the story (maybe next to an existing character). Right now, the Krystal/Shougo/Shiho/Kin/Crocell interaction is delayed because of exams from some of its participants, although you can try to interact with one of the other characters like one of Keveak's or with Shiki near her attempted suicide scene.

If you really need someone else as a partner, I could also introduce Rie somewhere. Since she's an agent from one of those four-man cells and a top-5 academy student, she could probably be anywhere within academy city that you want her to be.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2012-11-04 at 02:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368

Let me say this right now:

SHIKI IS CLOSED PLOT. DO NOT INTERFERE IF YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THE PARTICIPANTS IN ANY OF THE PREVIOUS PARTS OF THE PLOT ARC.

Shiki can only be interacted with by someone who was involved in the previous arc: either the Shiki Chase or the Shiki Rescue. Please do not get involved if you were not part of either of those!

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Actually I'm curious. why is the little girl trying to commit suicide? ANd why does she seem to want Hajime and Moroe to see it? Seems rather odd.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    If you really need someone else as a partner, I could also introduce Rie somewhere. Since she's an agent from one of those four-man cells and a top-5 academy student, she could probably be anywhere within academy city that you want her to be.
    Or I can drop Alia and/or Johnathan somewhere.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by 171873124Giarc View Post
    Telling/showing someone from say, America, how to do something that is illegal there, but not illegal were you are telling/showing them from, is not illegal. I think. I could be lying. Or wrong. Or both. Or neither, and right.
    There are international laws on that, but I do not know them in detail. I was talking about forum rules, though, not laws. :3

Most sites (including Funanimation) work fine in Canada. All of the sites except for sites I actually want/need to go on.......could that be considered a hate crime? I know it would if they were discriminating by race, but I don't know if regionism qualifies as a crime, or even exists.
    Nope, it is usually because of one or both of these:

1. The licensing is problematic. Differences in laws or problems between the copyright owner and local distributors can make it impossible or very difficult to get something licensed to other regions. Or someone might already have the license from years back, but cannot or will not allow streaming in the region they have it for.

2. They do not currently wish to open the market in that region, which is within their rights. The content is something they made or worked to get, and they are thus legally allowed to thus decide what is done with it. They hand out the privilege to view it, it is not a right for us to be able to get it for free or at all.

I don't know of many illegal anime streaming sites actually. Theres a lot for western animation and live action TV, but all anime streaming sites I've been on have been licensed. I didn't even know there were any, I just know that a few sites were taken down and that Hulu is only playable in America.

How does on judge illegal versus legal strea,mimg anyway?

More on topic, whats the best way to introduce a character in the IC?
    There are fairly few legal ones, actually. Aside from Hulu, Crunchyroll and the specific companies' sites, pretty much all of them are illegal.

Looking at the legal FAQ on the page is a good way to tell. Most illegal sites will claim Fair Use, despite that holding as much water as "borrowing without asking" does. ^_^

There are a few ways, having them appear near a scene and find a way to have them join it is one, but you can also create your own scene or find someone else to start one with.

NOTE: Keveak is not a legal expert nor educated on the subject. Please consult an actual expert if you experience any juristictive headaches, law-aches or suing-coughs.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-11-04 at 06:39 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #372

Seems like a lot of us are delayed by irl issues. I hope no one minds if I used this time to add some bright and rainbow colors to Shiho's character and the level 6 shift project .

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Seems like a lot of us are delayed by irl issues. I hope no one minds if I used this time to add some bright and rainbow colors to Shiho's character and the level 6 shift project .
    Hopefully not, it is certainly interesting to read. Neither Katsu nor Yua are currently aware of Shiho or the project's existence, but it sounds like it would be very fun if they ever did. ^_^

And now I sadly shall have to let another "Real" life issue delay my posting efforts. This sleep matter is so untimely! >_<
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say the same; real life has, unfortunately, put me in something of a half-nelson. As an undergraduate physics major I tend not to have a lot of free time in general, but lately all the labs and papers and quantum theory work has had me swamped (sometimes, quite literally, in paper; at one point it was an inch think on my desk.).

I promise to update the wiki with the next arc's characters and to post more frequently in the near future; look forward to sizable updates within the week.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375
    171873124Giarc
    Guest in the Playground

Level 6 shift? How does that work without a Level 5 to clone and a Level 5 willing to kill the hypothetical clones? Unless, of course, that it's something completely different.

For my character, what is the information that someone who lives outside of AC would have about it and the people and events inside? I know in canon there's a tour, so would there be something like that here?
    Last edited by 171873124Giarc; 2012-11-06 at 06:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

The goal of the level 6 shift project was always just to create a level 6 esper through whatever means necessary. At the moment, the RailITP version that Shiho is involved in is divided into three parts, with each receiving equal attention from the board of directors:

• Use crystallized esper essence or body crystal to overload a compatible esper into level 6, using Shiho to generate large quantities of the drugs, to control the undesirable side effects, and to record the effects of the substance on different AIM fields. This one is, of course, the brainchild of a professor whose family name is "Kihara".
    • Conduct advanced studies in AIM Fields in hopes of duplicating the results to accelerating the development of more espers into level 5, from which more extensive tests can be performed on a larger sample.
    • Develop Shiho's abilities to level 5 in hopes that she could either pierce the 5 > 6 barrier with her abilities, or that she could develop an advanced AIM field manipulation method.
    The project is currently worded as "a few branches" of the overall level 6 shift project, so if someone else decides to come in and kill some Misaka clones, their project could be listed as a parallel to the ones Shiho is involved in.

For my character, what is the information that someone who lives outside of AC would have about it and the people and events inside? I know in canon there's a tour, so would there be something like that here?
    I think for the most part, the RailITP setting follows canon excepting for anything involving individual characters concepts, so the tour would still be there. You could also run into one of the existing students and have them give you a custom tour so that you know a few more of the more popular student gathering places (or have that part put into your backstory).

Of course, the setting is pretty flexible for people to change if necessary (we have a few level 2 students in Tokiwadai, for instance), so if you feel that Destan should have specific interest in knowing about the universities, I think that would not be a problem either.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2012-11-06 at 11:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

...Of course, the setting is pretty flexible for people to change if necessary (we have a few level 2 students in Tokiwadai, for instance)...
    Yes, we dropped the Level 3 restriction pretty early in the game. It was doing more harm than good.

18. - Top - End - #378
    171873124Giarc
    Guest in the Playground

So Level Upper does exist, and generic attempts to fiddle around with peoples powers do exist, but the clones project doesn't, because there isn't anyone suitable yet?

I can use that.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

So Level Upper does exist, and generic attempts to fiddle around with peoples powers do exist, but the clones project doesn't, because there isn't anyone suitable yet?

I can use that.
    AFAIK, Level Upper has never been part of this game, for basically the same reason as the clones: I.E, the framework and characters surrounding it don't exist here. In contrast to concepts like Body Crystal (which can be removed from their original context very easily), Level Upper is intricately tied to a specific canon plotline. As such, it's not something which can just be assumed to exist here, or dropped haphazardly into the action. If we do end up creating our own version of Level Upper for the game, then it needs to be done carefully. No matter how you slice it, a system which lets Espers effortlessly increase their level is going to be a big deal IC.

20. - Top - End - #380
    171873124Giarc
    Guest in the Playground

Level Upper does boost your powers(in a roundabout fashion), but, after a still uncertain period of time you go into a coma. I doubt that anyone here would actually have their character utilize it, unless they had solid plot-related reasons to, like trying to face a vastly superior opponent, or deep seated inferiority issues. Level Upper is the To Aru no equivalent of illegal drugs, but with Level Upper, you always overdose.

I think it would actually be an interesting plot point for Judgement characters, finding low level ESPers who die with no obvious cause of death, after showing drastic increase in power.

Also, here is my (pitiful) attempt to create scale for Memory Extractor.
    Please begin comments/criticism/complaints

Spoiler
    Show

Level 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1: Can extract memories from an object (up to) the last year (were it's been held, were it hasn't, what it's hit, what it's supposed to do, those kind of things). Can tell what a person has been doing for the last 12 hours or so as long as they haven't had a shower/bath/cleaning, otherwise can only read up to the cleaning.

With training Memory Extractor level 1 can be used to track someone with about the effectiveness of a well equipped rookie detective.

Level 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 2: Can extract memories from an object (up to) the last 5 years (were it's been held, were it hasn't, what it's hit, what it's supposed to do, those kind of things). Can also receive a vision of an objects past (up to a year ago), although the more ESPers an object has been the more difficult this is. Can tell what a person has been doing for the last week or so as long as they haven't had a complete makeover or something similar, otherwise can only read up to the disturbance. Can haze out the last thirty seconds or sop or so of a weak-minded/relaxed persons brain (for example, if an ESPer who uses Memory Extractor acts like an idiot, than they can use Memory Extractor to blur out the time they spent acting like an idiot). Doesn't work well on things like shocking revelations, or on people with very strong minds/their guard up. Instinctively able to use small objects like pens/pencils, utensils and the like in the same manner of the objects previous owners (doesn't work with objects fresh from a factory).

With training Memory Extractor level 2 can be used to track someone with the effectiveness of a well equipped rookie detective team, as well as anticipate obvious attacks (a man charging forward with a large blunt object, an ESPer shooting a large blast of fire/ice/acid/sound/some other equivalent) unharmed (this doesn't account for stealthy attacks, or for reflexes gained from actual combat training).

Level 3: Can extract memories from an object (up to) the last 10 years (were it's been held, were it hasn't, what it's hit, what it's supposed to do, those kind of things). Can also receive a vision of an objects past (up to 5 years ago), although the more ESPers an object has been the more difficult this is. Can tell the basics of what a person has been doing for the last month or so as long as they don't have an overly strong/aware mind. If they are protected, than the recollection is limited to around 3 days Can haze out the last half hour or or so of a low willpower/calm persons brain. It doesn't work well if things like shocking revelations happened during the time period, or on people with very strong minds/their guard up. Can also read the first minute or so of memories of a person, once again being harder to use an very strong will people/ESPers. Instinctively able to use objects on the complexity level of a knife or a phone in the same manner of the objects previous owners (doesn't work with objects fresh from a factory).

Level 4: Can extract memories from an object up to it's creation; as long as it's not older than 50 years (were it's been held, were it hasn't, what it's hit, what it's supposed to do, those kind of things). Can also receive a vision of an objects past (up to 10 years ago), although the more ESPers an object has been the more difficult this is. Can tell the basics of what a person has been doing for the last or or so as long as they don't have a very strong/highly alert mind. If they do have mental awareness, the ESPer using Memory Extractor can only see the last month or so. Can haze out the last five hours or or so of a low willpower/calm persons brain. It doesn't work well if things like shocking revelations happened during the time period, or on people with very strong minds/their guard up. Instinctively able to use objects on the complexity level of a knife or a phone in the same manner of the objects previous owners (doesn't work with objects fresh from a factory).

[Still Editing]

The training mentioned is what I presume to be the type of training Judgement and other such organizations gives their field members for their ESPer powers. Obviously with such training in actual usage as opposed to theory an ESPer would be more effective than the same ESPer without said training.
    Last edited by 171873124Giarc; 2012-11-09 at 09:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381

WolfInSheepsClothing

OKay, last idea was not a go?

How about... the ability to mirror. Like, they can create an energy field that mirrors anything that hits it, back in the direction it came. On a basic level, they can reflect light, making an actual mirror. At higher levels, they can mirror objects so that if something hits the field, it reflects back along its course at the same momentum it had when it struck the mirror.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

22. - Top - End - #382

I think it would actually be an interesting plot point for Judgement characters, finding low level ESPers who die with no obvious cause of death, after showing drastic increase in power.
    Personally, I actually think it would be okay to make level upper a one time story arc (as long as it's introduced judiciously) - basically, some well-intentioned stripping scientist makes this thing, espers go into comas, science embryo thingy pops out, and anti-skill and a bunch of espers stop it. It would just be another major story arc.

The only thing that I think would be a problem would be to make level upper a permanent part of the background; unlike the shadow organizations, having something like that would be disruptive.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2012-11-09 at 09:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

Clone Project is mine. I run the entire thing about clones.

pls dont steal

24. - Top - End - #384

Clone Project is mine. I run the entire thing about clones.

pls dont steal
    Are we just talking about the Adachi clones, or the idea of cloning in general?

If it's the former, I do not believe any of us know anything about Adachi to really do anything with his clones. If it's the latter, I have to object to that. Cloning is a pretty big part of the canon story, and I don't see why one group cloning people would deny every other science researcher the possibility of creating a clone of any esper to use as, say, fodder for experiments.

25. - Top - End - #385

Apart from the fact that one of the clones developed sentience, went rogue, destroyed almost all of the research, and there are still around 3000 of them?

Yeah. There's a damn good reason, considering Hajime is a clone.

26. - Top - End - #386

Wait, Souji destroyed all of academy city's knowledge of cloning? Even the scientists that aren't involved in his project in the first place, but happened to have knowledge about the subject?

From what I've read of Souji's profile, he destroyed Project Phoenix. This, if I gather correctly, is a specific project that used cloning, not the concept of cloning itself. No one has ever suggested to insert a character into this specific project or anything - we are throwing around the idea of utilizing the science of cloning. With academy city's technology, it's not difficult at all to build a cloning chamber anywhere they wanted. It took them pretty much no time to produce Misaka WORST for ww3, after all, even after Mikoto and co. basically shut down the level 6 shift project.

I don't see how that project constitutes a city-wide ban on clones being generated at all.

I'm sorry if I'm working myself up over this a bit too much, but being able to ban other players from utilizing an entire area of science has really bad implications to me. It's somewhat like saying "no one should have electric powers" or "no one can perform AIM research, because that's what my character is doing".

This is especially so for cloning, which would be the easiest way for a research group to obtain esper source materials for their projects.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2012-11-10 at 04:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacklu View Post
    OKay, last idea was not a go?

How about... the ability to mirror. Like, they can create an energy field that mirrors anything that hits it, back in the direction it came. On a basic level, they can reflect light, making an actual mirror. At higher levels, they can mirror objects so that if something hits the field, it reflects back along its course at the same momentum it had when it struck the mirror.
    That sounds fine.

Personally, I actually think it would be okay to make level upper a one time story arc (as long as it's introduced judiciously) - basically, some well-intentioned stripping scientist makes this thing, espers go into comas, science embryo thingy pops out, and anti-skill and a bunch of espers stop it. It would just be another major story arc.

The only thing that I think would be a problem would be to make level upper a permanent part of the background; unlike the shadow organizations, having something like that would be disruptive.
    Exactly. Seconded on every point.

Wait, Souji destroyed all of academy city's knowledge of cloning? Even the scientists that aren't involved in his project in the first place, but happened to have knowledge about the subject?

From what I've read of Souji's profile, he destroyed Project Phoenix. This, if I gather correctly, is a specific project that used cloning, not the concept of cloning itself. No one has ever suggested to insert a character into this specific project or anything - we are throwing around the idea of utilizing the science of cloning. With academy city's technology, it's not difficult at all to build a cloning chamber anywhere they wanted. It took them pretty much no time to produce Misaka WORST for ww3, after all, even after Mikoto and co. basically shut down the level 6 shift project.

I don't see how that project constitutes a city-wide ban on clones being generated at all.
    Again, ditto. Terry: Even if your intent was always to create a total monopoly on cloning, you certainly didn't make that clear. This major an injunction needs to be explicitly brought up OOC, well in advance; Not slipped unobtrusively into the plot as background noise.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-11-10 at 12:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388

Hey, I was just saying, usually when something develops sentience, goes crazy and breaks your projects, you don't try to create more of it.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, I was just saying, usually when something develops sentience, goes crazy and breaks your projects, you don't try to create more of it.
    Except the 'person' at hand here is Academy City. A clone going crazy and breaking one of their projects is considered somewhat of a success.

Furthermore, not using cloning because of this one particular incident is like not using electricity because one time, it caused a fire that burned down a couple of guest rooms. Yes, that's literally what it's like for them.

30. - Top - End - #390

I don't think we're talking about the same academy city here. The academy city that I know from Index/Railgun canon in absolutely insane. They would actually say "hey, sweet!" and actually go deeper into that line of research rather than going "hey, too dangerous, not doing that one ever again." Putting aside how these people and ethics in science go together like oil and neutron stars, even in real life science, a single dangerous failure is very often dismissed as an accident and not adequate justification to dissuade an entire area of research that, by canon, academy city has perfected.

Also, Project Phoenix does not seem to just be cloning by itself; as in, the project made an attempt to alter ESP powers that the original didn't have AND to serve as a surrogate for a certain professor instead of just as a lab mouse. Any scientist could even more easily dismiss the failure as "hey, they're trying to give people new powers and tried to make it sentient with a scientist's memory, and that's why that freaky stuff happened. If we stick to our cloning espers the normal way, don't change their powers, and program them to be useful only to our projects, nothing will happen to us."

If that's what you're worried about, I'd say there's nothing wrong with anyone who wants to create a Misaka network of sorts or (in Shiho's case for the level 6 shift project) duplicating espers to harvest crystallized esper essences and to create more subjects to experiment on and throw away. It's a much better alternative than constantly making child errors and thus driving new students away from the city.