New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Ah, ah, ah. Souji's was an Esper - they don't care if he's messing around with stuff so long as he doesn't ruin any major super important projects - and even then they'll probably let him get away with it, being that he was a mid-high level 4.

He is not a Level 0 who has no stake in Academy City.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

However the darkside would care that he had 67% of Adachi's brain would they not?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey terry can one of the three you mentioned earlier interact with my character?
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

From Left to Right: Surtr, Narve

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

You posted in the wrong thread dude. You need to post in Academy City III Abusive Physics Never End! Not Academy City II Electrokinesis is Love

plus</b> I have a character who is free for interaction.
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2012-09-13 at 06:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

oh... I din't notice. I'll fix that now.
    Boredom is a double-edged sword. Oh yeah I made character entries in the character directory wanna see?

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Just one problem, Surtr-Nobody is at the Hongakuteki Nihon Ryouri.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Well Jack ran to the streets. And looks like someone did help him. On another note, while reading around I remembered that technology in this city is advanced. I was wondering if there was a place that had technology that could summon weapons, by that I mean like how the weapons in Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia appear out of the blue. If there happens to be a place like this what scenes would need to be played to gain access to that kind of area?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

There isn't. Academy City is advanced, but not advanced to the point of being able to quantum compress weapons into nonexistent spaces. Think of a city some fifty years from the future.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

I guess that would be too awesome to apply. Too bad. Are there any specific research areas that can be accessed after playing the needed scenes? Since my guy is the tinkering type.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    I don't get it. By what your saying then Souji should have been caught at the most two moths after he left. If Anti-skill couldn't capture him then wait till you have a chance to hit him from afar with tranq darts or something else. He shouldn't have been able to out run them for long enough to create multiple identities. The way you describe it if they know everything that is going on thanks to the satalites why not just eliminate crime all together?
    Because they do not have unlimited resources and all-seeing satellites, I presume. The security is much higher in Academy City than in most cities, but it is still limited enough that a single person could escape it if they kept relatively low* and changed identities.

The problem is a large gang of mass murderers who apparently make little attempt at stealth, structure or planning. Those are the kind of thing that gets the entire division, the local CSI and possibly outside assistance called in when it happens in real life, I believe. Academy City simply uses satellites and Anti-Skill as well.

Why is that not used to eradicate crime? For the same reason that minor crimes are usually handled by a few officers, I guess. AC cannot spend all their satellite-surveillance and Anti-Skill numbers on every case, so they would usually split them for everyday stuff. ^_^

This has been your Daily Kobold's Explanations, providing answers since 2042. :3

*I have not followed the stuff with Souji, so I apologise if that does not apply. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

It might also be helpful to point out that it's entirely likely that the City was bankrolling Adachi's project, similar to how they're funding G.E.A.R., because Alistair Crowley has such inscrutable goals that it's a real possibility that the clones Adachi was producing were part of some grander scheme.

A group of random level 0's that kill valuable ESPers would most certainly throw a wrench into Crowley's ultimate plan, and would propbably be hunted down rather quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

Just a small thought about your topic. It seems its about forming some sort of enemy group for more plot possibilities. Since Academy City is High tech and there are many power users that are weak and people completely without power, isn't it usually the case that the stronger power users would end up fighting Technology users for some reason or other?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Just a small thought about your topic. It seems its about forming some sort of enemy group for more plot possibilities. Since Academy City is High tech and there are many power users that are weak and people completely without power, isn't it usually the case that the stronger power users would end up fighting Technology users for some reason or other?
    No, they're talking about Skill-Out.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Pixie in the Playground

Just so you know, Surtr-This is a Japanese city, in Japan, not particularly infamous for its street violence. 'Customised armor' and guns in holsters, even non-lethal ones, will definitely not be treated as normal-In fact, Judgement or the police may ask you to put them away.

This is Academy City, and we are, for the most part, playing psychic schoolkids, not PCs right out of DND. There is no need to initiate murderhobo mode.

Of course, I'm not telling you how to play your character; only to expect responses appropriate to your actions in a 21st century Japanese city.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not going to that on screen, my character just mentions it. Plus he'll be going around checking areas with junk on it. Junkyards don't usually have police and may contain danger. Also I said he wore gloves and boots, I should have said that it looks like normal cloth but customized. Anyhow my character's just over-exited about the dangers of the city. He won't make a scene though.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    "Are you threatening me? You are. My god, how thick can you be? You're in no position to make demands of anybody, slacker. You're in a sealed concrete box, buried a mile underground. Or haven't you noticed the lack of doors? You stay here until I get what I want."
    Wait wait wait. A sealed concrete box that's a mile underground? Why does that exist? Did Yori commission such a difficult, time-consuming project just so that he could use it for traps like this? Does he make a new one each time he moves base, or is his range and precision so great that the same one works anywhere in the city?

Sorry to be difficult, but this development seriously bothers me. When that hole opened under Katashi, there was no indication that this was a pivotal event, or even something that required a decision; It just seemed like a cool opportunity for Yori to show off his powers. Now, though, it turns out that that was game over. If Katashi fails to evade that one (seemingly unimportant) portal, he's as good as dead. Even should his power be strong enough to push its way through the mile of material between himself and freedom, there are at least a dozen ways for Yori to kill him anyway (such as rigging the chamber to explode on command). Doesn't this seem rather heavy-handed?
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-09-15 at 07:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Wait wait wait. A sealed concrete box that's a mile underground? Why does that exist? Did Yori commission such a difficult, time-consuming project just so that he could use it for traps like this? Does he make a new one each time he moves base, or is his range and precision so great that the same one works anywhere in the city?

Sorry to be difficult, but this development seriously bothers me. When that hole opened under Katashi, there was no indication that this was a pivotal event, or even something that required a decision; It just seemed like a cool opportunity for Yori to show off his powers. Now, though, it turns out that that was game over. If Katashi fails to evade that one (seemingly unimportant) portal, he's as good as dead. Even should his power be strong enough to push its way through the mile of material between himself and freedom, there are at least a dozen ways for Yori to kill him anyway (such as rigging the chamber to explode on command). Doesn't this seem rather heavy-handed?
    Ooooooor Yori's lying. If he was actually a mile underground, there would be some serious pressure on the room, and it would actually be really, really hot.

Not everything that gets said IC should be taken at face value.

The room is probably just a well-sealed room in a warehouse or research complex nearby.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooooooor Yori's lying. If he was actually a mile underground, there would be some serious pressure on the room, and it would actually be really, really hot.

Not everything that gets said IC should be taken at face value.

The room is probably just a well-sealed room in a warehouse or research complex nearby.
    ...Now I just feel silly. Ah well, it's not a total waste, since this is one deception that Katashi might have the tools (but not brains) to see through.

19. - Top - End - #259

Hey, don't feel too bad. Taking IC chat at face value with no questions asked is just a habit, neither good nor bad, formed by RPing with people who are not, generally speaking, very deceptive; I guess it's just a habit for people who never (or rarely) GM games.

Remind me-his power lets him find the shortest distance between two points, right?
    Last edited by Duos; 2012-09-15 at 08:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, don't feel too bad. Taking IC chat at face value with no questions asked is just a habit, neither good nor bad, formed by RPing with people who are not, generally speaking, very deceptive; I guess it's just a habit for people who never (or rarely) GM games.
    How true. It's also a question of differing OOC styles. Some people like to add OOC notes informing others about their IC lies, in case the characters would have some way of seeing through the deception. On the other hand, some prefer to let the players see no farther than their characters, so as to produce the most genuine reaction and limit metagaming. It's all a matter of taste.

Remind me-his power lets him find the shortest distance between two points, right?
    Indirectly, yes. Katashi's power lets him attract, repel and (to a limited degree) sense objects in relation to himself. By using some quick geometry, he could thus work out the distance between two separate points; Not that he's likely to have the mental capacity for such an operation.

Although come to think of it, making Katashi some sort of mathematical savant might be pretty funny...

21. - Top - End - #261

How true. It's also a question of differing OOC styles. Some people like to add OOC notes informing others about their IC lies, in case the characters would have some way of seeing through the deception. On the other hand, some prefer to let the players see no farther than their characters, so as to produce the most genuine reaction and limit metagaming. It's all a matter of taste.
    Emphasis added. This is usually why I try to keep my cards played close to my chest. I have had far too many players instantly become aware of which NPCs are evil and immediately try to kill/not listen to/ investigate them; it's a habit picked up over one too many ruined games.
    Last edited by Duos; 2012-09-15 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Katashi smirks as he sees light flickering though the breach he's made, and manages to cruise straight through the hole, and soars-
    Headfirst into the floor of the room he'd just left, crashing into the flimsy steel table.

Ow. What?

As he stands up and rubs the back of his head, trying to make sense of the sudden change of direction, he finds himself inconvenienced by a foot to the kidneys from behind. He lets out a grunt as he tumbles forward and springs up to face his assailant, and he's met with two figures, wrapped in dark cloth. One of them is smoldering, wisps of foul smoke drifting from underneath its cowl, and the other creaks as it moves, sheaths of ice cracking on its shoulders. Yori's voice cuts through the darkness.
    I hate to raise another issue so soon, but could you please edit this post to remove all the godmodding? This far surpasses the level which I'm willing to let slide.

If you're having trouble seeing the problem, here's another example. What if, when Moroe met Yori in the facility 'yesterday', I'd written this:

Moroe raises her gun at lightning speed and sends a bullet straight at Yori's head. Caught off guard, Yori is unable to do more than slightly divert the attack with his space-warping powers. A blossom of red blooms on his left shoulder as the deadly projectile tears into flesh and bone. He squeals in pain and has to steady himself on the wall to avoid falling. The look he sends back at Moroe is tinged with hatred, bitterness, and a touch of fear.

"You worthless insect!"
    Would you be okay with that?
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-09-16 at 12:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Is the issue with the injury or the reversal of his exit strategy?

Because, you may note, Katashi suffers no actual injury in the process of fearlessly flying through a wormhole. He would, of course, be confused as to why he landed in a desk as opposed to a hallway, but I'm working under the assumption that his powers protect him from self-harm in that manner. And getting kicked from behind is a much more impactful introduction than "There are two guys suddenly", and is similarly cosmetic.

If the issue is with Katashi finding it difficult to leave, then I would point out that I have a similar issue with "lol he escapes and u cant catch him."

As to your second point:

Assuming the injury does not meaningfully impact Yori's ability to interact with other characters? Yes, I would be perfectly fine with that, because it drives the narrative well, and that's why we are here: To weave a story, not to show other people how cool and special our favorite imaginary friends are. That way lies awful, awful narrative, because then everything is a mess of "nuh-uh he/she is too cool for that to happen."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Is the issue with the injury or the reversal of his exit strategy?

Because, you may note, Katashi suffers no actual injury in the process of fearlessly flying through a wormhole. He would, of course, be confused as to why he landed in a desk as opposed to a hallway, but I'm working under the assumption that his powers protect him from self-harm in that manner. And getting kicked from behind is a much more impactful introduction than "There are two guys suddenly", and is similarly cosmetic.

If the issue is with Katashi finding it difficult to leave, then I would point out that I have a similar issue with "lol he escapes and u cant catch him."
    The issue is with every single instance of godmodding in that post: Everything from making Katashi smirk to putting words in his mouth. I have no problem with Yori successfully blocking Katashi's escape; Just don't dictate how he reacts to the portal placed in his path. I have no problem with those people attacking in that way; Just don't dictate whether they hit. When you did this with Moroe, it was tolerable, since your additions mostly aligned with what I'd have written anyway. Here, you're totally out of synch. Please stop.

As to your second point:

Assuming the injury does not meaningfully impact Yori's ability to interact with other characters? Yes, I would be perfectly fine with that...
    Then you're probably in a minority on these forums. There's a reason why the 'no godmodding' rule is first on that list from earlier. Many players around here (myself included) find it immensely aggravating. This is not to say that your way of thinking is wrong or misguided. The flaw is mine, for being unable to accept it.

...because it drives the narrative well, and that's why we are here: To weave a story, not to show other people how cool and special our favorite imaginary friends are. That way lies awful, awful narrative, because then everything is a mess of "nuh-uh he/she is too cool for that to happen."
    There's no need to resort to strawmen, slippery slopes and false dichotomies. Yes, bad players will abuse the 'no godmodding' rule by never letting their characters lose; Just as they'll also abuse the inverse by always declaring that their characters win. I'm not trying to stop Katashi from being hurt, pressured or outsmarted; I'm trying to make sure that the decision of when that happens goes to the person who knows the character best. Likewise, when I object to him being hit by that surprise attack, it's not because I want him to be invulnerable; It's because said 'surprise' ignores the 3D spacial sense (established just a few posts ago) that would have let him see that attack coming. If you saw the same Katashi that I see, then I would let you write him; But you don't. Your Katashi is different from mine.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-09-16 at 03:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265

An easy way to prevent godmodding is to add words like may, or could and possibly. Turns posts like this:

Hajime's pistol releases a bullet at rapid speeds, and it soars straight between Yori's eyes
    to non-godmodding:

Hajime's pistol releases a bullet at rapid speeds, and it soars true - right towards Yori's eyes.
    The difference is that the second one gives you the freedom to react. That freedom is a major part of FFRP, and a large number of people get really up in arms about that sort of thing. It's nothing personal, it just opens up to the hell that is: "YORI KILLS HAJIME IN A SINGLE BLOW, UMAD?"
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-09-16 at 06:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266

The issue is with every single instance of godmodding in that post: Everything from making Katashi smirk to putting words in his mouth. I have no problem with Yori successfully blocking Katashi's escape; Just don't dictate how he reacts to the portal placed in his path. I have no problem with those people attacking in that way; Just don't dictate whether they hit. When you did this with Moroe, it was tolerable, since your additions mostly aligned with what I'd have written anyway. Here, you're totally out of synch. Please stop.
    Clearly I do no understand Katashi's character, then, because every action thus far he has taken has painted him as lazy and irreverent but ruthless and competent, and you appear going for something different. I'll edit the post to be more general. (Although I will kind of miss the banter; I find Yori's response to be deliciously Bond-villainesque.)

Then you're probably in a minority on these forums. There's a reason why the 'no godmodding' rule is first on that list from earlier. Many players around here (myself included) find it immensely aggravating. This is not to say that your way of thinking is wrong or misguided. The flaw is mine, for being unable to accept it.
    I take issue with the idea that anything happening to a character, ever, that the player does not like is godmodding, but then again, most of my RP experience comes from sitting behind a GM screen and I'm used to having a bit more freedom when it comes to shaping character interaction, so I do apologize if I have overstepped a boundary. However, please don't imply "You are godmodding (which is in this context defined as bad) but it's OK because it might not be bad, even though we just said it is" because I find it rude and it implies that I don't understand how RP works at all.

There's no need to resort to strawmen, slippery slopes and false dichotomies. Yes, bad players will abuse the 'no godmodding' rule by never letting their characters lose; Just as they'll also abuse the inverse by always declaring that their characters win. I'm not trying to stop Katashi from being hurt, pressured or outsmarted; I'm trying to make sure that the decision of when that happens goes to the person who knows the character best. Likewise, when I object to him being hit by that surprise attack, it's not because I want him to be invulnerable; It's because said 'surprise' ignores the 3D spacial sense (established just a few posts ago) that would have let him see that attack coming. If you saw the same Katashi that I see, then I would let you write him; But you don't. Your Katashi is different from mine.
    Fair points. I should have clarified; My worries stem from being unable to create a compelling narrative because the characters I DO have control of don't have enough impact on the characters I DON'T. Obviously this is, more often than not, an irrational fear, but too many times I have seen a game or RP session drop into a sort of time freeze where nothing of importance ever happens because people are too afraid it will negatively impact their characters, and I want to keep the plot here moving at a reasonable pace because I think the setting is amazing and many of the characters here have wonderful, complex personalities and motivations; I'd hate to see that go to waste.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

I take issue with the idea that anything happening to a character, ever, that the player does not like is godmodding, but then again, most of my RP experience comes from sitting behind a GM screen and I'm used to having a bit more freedom when it comes to shaping character interaction, so I do apologize if I have overstepped a boundary. However, please don't imply "You are godmodding (which is in this context defined as bad) but it's OK because it might not be bad, even though we just said it is" because I find it rude and it implies that I don't understand how RP works at all.
    Sorry to be rude, but nobody said that. Nobody is objecting to their characters being harmed or being in danger, that would indeed lead to nothing happening. We object to things happening that take away our own narrative control of the character, that makes them automatons of another story teller than their owner. ^_^'

Katashi is not your character, but the person reacting to the actions of yours. Just as a GM does not dictate whether a PC smirks, speaks, leap through holes or succeed in defending against attacks, we do not decide that for other people's characters. Think of it as allowing Katashi a roll to land properly and the player to react to the description of the new room.

Fair points. I should have clarified; My worries stem from being unable to create a compelling narrative because the characters I DO have control of don't have enough impact on the characters I DON'T. Obviously this is, more often than not, an irrational fear, but too many times I have seen a game or RP session drop into a sort of time freeze where nothing of importance ever happens because people are too afraid it will negatively impact their characters, and I want to keep the plot here moving at a reasonable pace because I think the setting is amazing and many of the characters here have wonderful, complex personalities and motivations; I'd hate to see that go to waste.
    In that case, we usually prompt players to take more risks with their characters or suggest narratives to continue the tale. You have control of only your characters because this is a story told by many actors, not a puppet-show with changing puppeteers, to use an analogy. ^_^

Those wonderful, complex personalities and motivations belong to their authors, they are the ones who pour their work and mind into them. If you take that ownership away for the sake of moving the story at your pace, then they lose that, they become mere characters in your story.

Not that your stories would not be great, but this is the story of everybody. There are plenty of places to write our own tales, but this is the one where we influence a community story.

Sorry if I seem harsh, I am poor at diplomatic word-smithing. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

28. - Top - End - #268

No, it's very well put, Keveak; your analogies work well, I agree wholeheartedly, and I couldn't possibly be offended by you trying to help.

Good RP, I feel, should be like a round of the campfire game where everybody takes turns adding a line to the story. I tend to be rather verbose when it comes to those (And GMing in general, as I am painfully aware some my players might tell you) because I like telling stories, and I admit that sometimes that does crowd out other people who want to get a word in. Sometimes that means I get overexcited and say a little more than I should.

I have not, as of right now, figured out when that is, as I'm still feeling you guys out individually as to how dynamic I can allow interaction to be. If I goof and you feel like I've overstepped my bounds again, just let me know where and why, and I'll do my best to fix it.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

I'll write the Anti-Skill response.

heeheeheeheeheehee

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    I'll write the Anti-Skill response.

heeheeheeheeheehee
    Do you feel up to writing some Hajime and/or Shiki as well?