New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [DnD4E] Snowbody's Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

Mertes
    Sooner at the temple
    Mertes let the priest treat his arms with the help of Arhjan.
    Once that is done, he feel a little bit weaker, but his arms are way better.
    He consider asking for treatment to his hands as well, but he already owe the temple enough and hope he can fight this disease on his own.
    "Thanksa lot. This is what I can afford to give you right now. I'll pay the rest when I come back with my share of our finding."

The barbarian give 65 GP to the young priest.

Now
    "Sorry I thought it was belonging to the citizen here." reply the goliath to Zimelda with a smile.
    The goliath become serious again and simply say,
    "Let move on, there is childrens life at stake here. We will rest when we absolutly need to."
    To Kelfrem, Mertes give the drawven Ale.
    "Could you give this to Thair and tell him it is from me. He should still return it to the Inn, but I hope it gives him back access to the place, as I beleive he is banned from it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I cant find our discussion with the dwarf... I dont remember what he promised me for the Ale... but I am pretty sure he have been kicked out of the inn for something (probably complaining about the missing ale)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...30/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...8
    Surge left/surge per day :...8/12
    AC:...17...FORT:...17... REF:...14...WILL:...14...
    Main Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Off Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (0/1)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance (Minor)

Effects on Mertes :
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Greataxe (named Life-Ender)
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Waterskin With Deputy commissioning papers inside.
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    Mertes Owe 65 GP to the group (disease treatment).
    5 GP
    36 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)
    Paper giving 500GP credit in Winterhaven (From Padraig)

XP : 1000
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-13 at 09:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

(Back at the temple)

"Good choice -- even though the muscle damage limits how effective you can be in combat, you won't be able to do anything at all if the enemy gets enough hits on your arms to take you out of the fight."

Ian is quite pleased that Mertes wasn't too badly drained by the ritual, and gratefully accepts the gold. "Lord Padraig supports us, of course, and we do get some income from pilgrims visiting the shrine, but we always are wishing that we could do more." He then retires to his cell.

after the song

"Jarvis is made of crystals? You mean that crystal guy you were with before?" Realizing the idiocy of what he's said, Crabbe shuts up for a moment.

in the present

Mertes, even while he's asking Captain Kelfem about Ninaran, remembers that Kelfem had said that Eric had become infatuated with Ninaran at some point in the past. He had been following her around and bugging her inside Wrafton's until Salvana threw him out and complained to the Captain. Kelfem implied that he'd corrected the problem with his son (probably some form of discipline was involved) and he didn't bother Ninaran any more. Nothing in the story indicated that Ninaran had done anything in retaliation.

He also remembers that Thair is not banned from Wrafton's, but instead had stormed out in a huff and vowed never to return. The triggering incident was when Salvana had raised the price on Dwarven Ale after the kobolds had stolen the shipment.

Crabbe and Goyle notice Zimelda's bickering with the other party members, and they whisper to each other and start pointing and snickering.

((OOC: Any changes to what Mertes does?)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda whirls around to glare at the boys. While she welcomes the distraction of dealing with them, it doesn't do much to alleviate her irritation. "Something amusing, children?" she asks sternly.
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-08-11 at 04:16 PM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #124

"We just thought -- we just -- no ma'am." He's obviously lying, as he can barely contain his giggles.

Captain Kelfem also gives two hand crossbows and a bunch of bolts to Arjhan. "The two of them are decent enough with their slings, but if you get a chance, see if you can get them to practice with these, it's what the Regulars use."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arjhan bows his head and says, "Thank you Captain. I'll keep that in mind." He busies himself fastening the crossbows to his belt, trying halfheartedly to hide his grin from Zimelda.
    Crit rules run RAW in my games, now and forever, Amen.

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

6. - Top - End - #126

Mertes produces the cask of ale from his pack and explains the situation to Captain Kelfem. The officer claps his hand to his temple and shakes his head slightly. "I wish you hadn't told me that," he says. "Now I have to confiscate this as 'spoils of an unlicensed vigilante operation' since your commission was invalidated. We'll have to send a message to the dwarf representative in Fallcrest the next time a courier comes. I doubt the dwarves will want such a small amount of their stolen goods back, they've probably already written it off. I'll try to keep it secure, but it might be a few drinks lighter by then. Unless...if you defeat the kobolds, we can talk to Lord Padraig about having your expedition covered retroactively, and then it would be yours to keep. "

Padraig leaves with the mirror (safely in its box) and cask. Ninaran motions the group away from the gate and guards. Assuming they do so (Rat in particular is reluctant to approach) Ninaran says the following:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I have something you need to hear, but I can't say it in town--too many ears. Can we go out the gate and down to the main road?" with a tilt of her head toward the guards at the gate.

In the unlikely event that Zimelda approaches, Ninaran pointedly ignores her, but she icily says "Hello, boys," to Crabbe and Goyle, who blanch and try to make themselves as small as possible.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda, assuming somebody else follows the elves' motioning, will follow along. She doesn't say anything, though. And when the elf makes a show of ignoring her, Zimelda responds by simply crossing her arms and doing her best to look bored.

Spiteful, yes. But at least she's not screaming in dark tongues and bashing her face in with a mace.

Yet.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The barbarian nod to Niranan and follows out,
    "We're leaving anyway."

9. - Top - End - #129

Rat mutters about what a bad idea this is.

The group passes the town market and exits town via the main gate. When they are safely out of earshot of the gate guards, Ninaran starts talking, mostly to Mertes, but including everyone (but Zimelda).

"I was rude to you back at Wrafton's. Too rude. I'm...sorry. You were just looking for your friend; I heard you found him; good for you. I just wanted everyone to go away so I could relax. Well, Salvana always wants me to be friendlier, I thought about it, she's right.

"I lied to you then, too, but I had a reason. I do know about the kobolds -- where they live in the forest -- and more importantly, who their allies are. I'm sure you do too."

She makes a "horns" gesture, suggesting Orcus.

"But I'd never talk about it in town. Kelfem or Forace would arrest me for disturbing the peace, and that'd be the end of me, since the cultists have quietly infiltrated the town, maybe even the Regulars or the manor servants. Kelfem's so sure his men are blameless, he can't even see what's right in front of him. If they're not stopped the results could be dire.

"So here's my offer. I'll tell you where the kobold hideout is, and how to get there, as long as you promise not to let anybody know. I don't want this coming down on me."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath shrug and simply dismiss Niranan recollection of her previous attitude toward him with his hand, letting her know that it doesnt matter to him at this point.

"The more we know on the enemy, the better. So sure, we would like you to tell us what you know about their camp. And fear not, we wont tell anyone who gave us the information," the goliath take a second to give Crabbe and Goyle a look meaning this promise include their own silence as well, "I'd also like to know if you have any idea who is in league with the kobolds within the city. Personnaly I have some faith on Kelfrem to be a clean man. While we still have some reservation, we've decided to trust Lord Padraig, Sister Linora and the city wizard named Valthrun as well. If you beleive or know one these are in league with the enemy, you may as well tell us."

The goliath pause then remember an other thing,
    "Do you know something about the one they call the Withered arm? I beleive it is their leader."

11. - Top - End - #131

(Assuming the other two agree)

Ninaran nods attentively at Mertes's observations. Crabbe, Goyle, and Rat are completely intimidated by Ninaran, it's obvious that with Ninaran involved they won't be talking, whether or not Mertes does anything to enforce it.

The elf considers Mertes's questions, and counts off the suspects on her fingers.
    "I don't conclusively know any of them to be in the conspiracy, but I have my suspicions. I'll defer to your judgment about Kelfem, but I've known him to be honorable.
    "As for my half-kin the noble, trust him if you must, but remember, that sort always has their own plans in motion, the face they present to you may be completely different, they can tell a lie perfectly and then sleep soundly at night.
    "Sister Linora is always kind and tolerant. She'd be the last person to be in league with demons or bandits.
    "Valthrun I think is the biggest risk, always hungry for more knowledge without regard for what it costs other people."

"The kobolds come and go from a cave behind a waterfall, in some hills a ways to the east and south of the village. You can follow the stream there from the road. Former Druid gathering place. Kind of an obvious choice for a hideout, right? That's why it was the first place the Regulars searched. But the little eðla moved in the day the guards reported finding it empty-- which made me think that infiltration of the Regulars was a possibility. They've only been in there a few weeks, not nearly long enough for them to put in the kind of defensive fortifications kobolds are known for.
    "The Withered Arm...I have heard that name, and that's significant in itself because it was spoken in Common, not Draconic. So I think their leader is not a kobold. Would the beasts consent to have a human rule over them? I know not."

*Elvish: Lizards

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda remains silent for the majority of the elf's exposition. However, at the mention of Lord Padraig, the Drow becomes visibly more attentive. "Ah, a half-elf. That explains some things..." she murmurs. She than quietly observes: "Yes, trust in the noble should be limited. I do not know what his plans for the rest of you are, but I know for certain he has plans for me. Plans which, from what I've gathered, seem to include a bedchamber..." she grumbles with a roll of her eyes.

"The Regulars are also corrupted by local criminals," she adds after Ninaran's explanations. "Some of them are willing to bend the law or look the other way, depending on the whim of their benefactors. Or so a fat pheasant told me. No. Big eagle. Wait, no," she furrows her brow. "What is it? Oh! Little bird. A little bird told me. Yes. That is it," she states with a neutral expression, striving to salvage what little pride she has left.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath doesnt appear too surprised with her assesment of the trustwortyness of the citizen he ask about, as he have relatively the same feeling about them.
    "With the god they follow, which I dont beelive shoudl be the norm with for that race, I would not be surprised if their leader turn out to be some human."
    The goliath consider what he have seen so far since he've been here and keep the rest of his tought to himself, ... or maybe some undead, possibly even the spirit of Keegan.
    Looking at the elf, he ask,
    "Anything we should look out for? Any information you have on the enemy can be helpful here. Also, what do you know about the old keep in the area?"

14. - Top - End - #134

Ninaran tries to show no interest in what Zimelda is saying, but it's clear she's uncomfortable at the thought of Zimelda and Lord Padraig together. Her malapropism distracting the boys from thinking about the Lord's lechery, but then they notice her awkward self-correction and giggle nervously.

"Get into the cave as soon as you can, less chance for them to spot you outside. There's a few interconnected rooms, just keep moving."
    "The keep is an old ruin. It's not part of my hunting grounds; animals avoid the area instinctively. Everyone knows the stories about ghosts and goblins. Why do you ask? Do you think there are cultists there?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath shrug,
    "We dont have any clues leading there yet, but I to me, it look like a good place to hide some evil cult. what better than some ruins no one really wanna approach. Even these rumors of ghost might be only to keep people away. In my tribe we have a saying : Every caves can hide an hibernating bear at winter."

Thinking about Ninaran advice, the barbarian ask,
    "Do you know if there is other entry points for these caves?"
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-16 at 09:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Ninaran greets Alessa. "Hail, fellow traveler. You are new to the town as well? Welcome. What is your background?"

Responding to Mertes, "I see, that does make sense, but I'm not the one to ask about a poor hunting ground. As for the kobolds' cave, it has two entrances other than the waterfall, one on each side. There's some vegetation blocking each entrance that makes it hard to see in or out, but it should be simple to push through."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath nod.
    "DO you know if one of these entry would suit us better. Maybe one is more remote or less guarded."

18. - Top - End - #138

"The cave isn't large; all the entrances are with 100 feet or so of each other. There will probably be a sentry at each."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    From a very different land than this, miss, replies the elemental. Sage Valthrun was attacked by the owner of that mirror, who is clearly in league with the Horned One. The attack nearly killed him; I doubt Valthrun has betrayed the town, even if the locals vex him occasionally, she observes.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath nod,
    "Will you guide us there or will you stay in town?"

21. - Top - End - #141

Ninaran tosses her head and nods at Alessa's guarded answer. Her eyes go wide for an instant as Alessa reveals the attack on Valthrun, then she nods again.

Responding to Mertes, she puts her hand to her mouth for a second in shock, then says, "I would if I could -- really. I'd love to teach a lesson to those kobolds and their misguided leader. Whoever it is. But I'm neither a mercenary, nor a hero, I have my own responsibilities, just to go on living. Perhaps we shall fight together some day, but not today. I can give you detailed directions, that should get you to the lair without any trouble, but if you want a guide, try Kaleroot."

Through all this, her stiff demeanor hasn't changed.

OOC: If you want to change her attitude towards you, or convince her of something, try some skills
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-17 at 11:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda continues to stand by, letting everyone else due to the talking. Must... resist... urge... to be... snarky...

23. - Top - End - #143

Having said what she came to say, Ninaran bids everyone (save Zimelda) farewell and heads off into the woods.

Crabbe and Goyle are still acting scared, turning around, looking over their shoulders into the woods, and trying to spot some trace of the Elf (they won't).

Rat mutters, "I'd be more inclined to trust that guy in the mirror. Whadda ya think we'll find--trap, ambush, or just an open pit."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    "I doubt she would do that, but still we must keep in mind that it can happen. But still, we should go check this out. Even if she is sending us in a trap, we will either find the kobolds, or learn that she is part of the enemy."
    The goliath shrug adding,
    "Assuming we can pull this off, it will be a win-win situation. Lets just be ready to flee in case of need."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Mertes is right. I'm not sure I fully trust her either, but we have no other leads at this point. We may as well investigate."
    Crit rules run RAW in my games, now and forever, Amen.

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    If there is any chance that the children are captives there, it is a risk we must undertake. I will not permit these Undeath-worshipping brigands to take any additional lives.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    Looking at Alessa, the goliath nod and reply seriously,
    "I have no idea, but it is a good place to start looking if you ask me."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda shrugs. "I do not think she is setting a trap. For you at least. Do not be surprised if I disappear under mysterious circumstances during this little quest," the Drow deadpans. It's hard to tell if she's joking.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath cannot his a smile at Zimelda's way of seeing things.
    "She might not like you, your two races are at war after all, but I doubt she would sent you into some trap, and thus compromise our mission."
    Mertes give her some wicked smile and add and a wink,
    "And if she does do something like that against you, well she becomes our enemy. I stick and protect my allies...."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda gives a dismissive wave of her hand. "Nonsense. Do not let our ancient rivalry have any bearing on you. She has every right to hate me, as I have her. You need not worry yourself with such things, whatever comes of them." She then lets out a small sigh. "I was hoping she would at least try to insult me, though. I was looking forward to a contest of wit and spite..."