New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [DnD4E] Snowbody's Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

Mertes
    The goliath laugh,
    "She probabyl would had insulted you if had been alone and not part of her city lord plan against the kobolds. Alright, anyone have anything to do here or shall we go check out those caves?"
    The goliath apear quite eager to get into some action.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Following Ninaran's directions is easy. The four seasoned warriors, with their three hangers-on, follow the King's Road and find the stream with no trouble (it was not far from the combat that started this whole adventure). The slow, shallow stream is easy to traverse, and the vegetation is thin enough that all are able to choose whether to walk in the stream or on either of its banks. Here and there are signs that kobolds have passed this way, even a few broken chests and empty sacks that they must have discarded when returning from a raid. After a half-hour of hiking, a halt is called as there is a clearing up ahead, with a cliff face beyond it. Some small glades of trees dot the clearing. There's also a magic circle of some sort, ringed with standing stones and emanating power detectable to those with magical senses.

The rocky outcropping is around 50 feet high, running from east to west in the south side of the clearing. Water pours over the top into a shallow pool, just as Ninaran had described it, and the stream flows to the north. The two entrances she mentioned are also easy to spot, one to the east of the falls and up the cliff a ways, the other to the west and only 10 feet off the ground. The kobolds seem to have halfheartedly tried to conceal the western entrance, planting a bush incongrously across it, though it does make it impossible to see inside (the afternoon sun interferes with Zimelda's darkvision). The roar of the waterfall prevents any inhabitants of the cave from hearing the adventurers, and vice versa.

Which is a good thing, as Crabbe foolishly calls out "Look!" and points. There's a flicker of movement from the eastern entrance, located at a rocky outcropping, 30 feet up. It's a kobold, a scrawny at that. It peeks its head out, looks around, and withdraws into the cave, apparently not having seen anything. As it withdraws, there's a flapping motion that might possibly be a curtain hung over the entrance. The kobold didn't seem to be all that alert or conscientious; it didn't even look in the direction of the adventurers.

A minute later, it pops out again and makes a similarly cursory survey.

This is the place. What will everyone do?

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/x/503b955ccb6db

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Silence, child. They may be small, but your human head will not withstand a crossbow quarrel or sling stone, and their aim is good. Do not make any unnecessary exclamations, scolds Alessa, drawing a simple pole of mahogany from its place between her pack and her back. This will not be a diplomatic greeting. We should prepare for combat. With that, Alessa's form wavers, and her equipment melts into her body as her body itself begins to collapse. In her place, a vaguely humanoid pillar of water now stands. It seems to regard its allies briefly, before focusing its attention forward again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[6]
    Alessa assumes her Elemental Form. In this form, she has Damage Reduction against melee and ranged attacks equal to 4, but is restricted to beast form implement powers.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath hide an amused smile at the boys being scolded, but say nothing.

He look around the cliff side, making sure he isnt overlooking anything and if he cannot find traps of hidden sentries.
    He say in an hushed voice,
    "Do we all go in at the same entry point? If we dont, I probably can climb up to the kobold and knock him unconcious."
    Remembering what he told the mage, "Do we kill or simply disable them? I gues that we cannot afford to be too kind here, as they probabyl hold the children hostile. But keeping some alive might be a way ot bargain with these little bastards... and to gain some more informations."

Looking athte two young mens, the goliath tells them,
    "You two will use these crossbow. You stay behind and shoot at kobold when you get a good line. No need to waste bolts and take chances hitting one of us. Dont attack right away, wait for us to engage them before trying to help. And try not to get too much attention from enemies, watch and learn for now."
    Knowing that the boys wont like to be held back with the kind of attitude they kept displaying before, Mertes add,
    "And fear not, you will get your chance to shine along the way."

As he speak with the two young mens, something draw the barbarian attention and he tells the other,
    "I can see some movement in the waterfall and the hidden entry . Niranan was right, there is sentries at every entry points"
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-27 at 01:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

Rat scowls, and whispers sharply, "You're giving crossbows to the kids? And I still don't have my lucky charms, or even a club?"

Goyle whispers back "That's because we're the big-time heroes and you're -- you're -- what is he exactly?"

"Useless!" says Crabb with a chuckle, brandishing his crossbow. Goyle gently presses Crabb's arm to lower his aim.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda's right eye gives a slight twitch as she listens to the boys and Rat bicker.

For a moment, she enjoys a delightful little fantasy in which she cuts the boys Achilles tendons and leaves them here in the bushes for Rat to look after until she returns later to heal them. But that would be bad.

Eventually, the Drow whirls around and glares at all three men. "Silence," she hisses, looking quite annoyed.

She then reaches into her pack, pulls out the old kobold shortsword, twirls it in her gauntlet, and then holds it out for Rat to take. "Here. You will stay here and protect the boys. Boys, you will listen to this charming little scoundrel, or I will hurt you. Badly. A lot," she deadpans.

She then leans in close to Rat, almost face-to-face. More than likely violating his personal space, she smirks and slowly traces a metal-clad finger down his face. "Do a good job, Rat, and I might be less cruel to you," she purrs in a both-wicked-and-suggestive manner. "Mess up, though, and I'll eat your liver raw. Do we have an understanding?" she cheerfully asks.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath frown at the two young boys and whisper them to support Zimelda's word,
    "Lower your voices or you'll get us discovered. I thought I was clear, you dont play heroes right now. You stay back and give us support with your crossbows. Follow this man instructions, he have more experience than you."
    The gliath point out Rat.

Turning to his friends,
    "Unless you object, I'll use the forest cover to get to the base of the mountain side there and I'll climb up to get to the sentry. I dont think any of us is an expert in stealth anyway, so give me a chance to get there before moving in. If I get detected, well we rush at the waterfall and fight our way in. I'd say you guys should try to breach the main entry- the waterfall. Once I am up there, if I see it doesnt link up with the main entry, I'll come back down to join you. Is that ok with you?"
    The barbarian wait for everyone approoval, and assuming no objection. He move back into the forest to get being the grove of tree east, then throught it with as much stealth as he can, moving only when the kobolds doesnt look outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming no one objects, here is my stealth.
    Stealth : (1D20+2)[5]

I'll go back and around to A0 (Assuming there is some places to hide out of the map on the north side... if not, I'll go along the trees using them as cover ffrom the entries.

Then I'll move to A3, then thourght the trees to B7 and finaly move to C13 when the kobolds head disappear behind the curtain.

Note that I assume that I can hide against the cliff and stay relativly out of sight of the kobold bellow the outcropping.

That should take me some time... so I'll let the other some chances to speak and do actions.

8. - Top - End - #158

Rat accepts the sword with a nod, and tries a few quick thrusts at a nearby tree. "Will do," he says to Zimelda, swallowing down his nervousness. "As well as I can."

The boys sigh and moan ("it's not like anything by the cliff can hear us anyway"), but soon cease their backtalk, then begin scanning the forest for kobolds.

Rat warns them, "We have to stay out of sight. Don't fire if it has armor, or if it will draw strong enemies toward us."

Mertes creeps through the forest, seeming stepping on every fallen branch and rustling every fallen leaf. He notices something... (PM incoming)

Current map (the three known sentry kobolds think they are hidden):
    http://beta.ditzie.com/x/503d27b10c556
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-28 at 03:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath stop, look at the ground and notches. Taking a branch on the ground, he cautiously shovel the leafs away.
    This look like some traps... probably more pit traps like before. thinks the goliath.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-28 at 03:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Mertes's poking and prodding fails to uncover any traps among the trees.

(OOC: I'm assuming everyone else will delay until something happens)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    The elemental shifts into a more humanoid form for a moment, so that her face is solid enough to produce vocal sounds. Leaves have been purposefully taken from these trees. I advise caution, as kobold trapsmiths are devious. Additionally, there is a circle of magical energy present. I have yet to divine its function. She points out briefly where the circle is, then she reassumes her less humanoid combat form and advances to the tree line.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana to identify circle's effect: (1d20+7)[10]

I can't figure out how to save the map, but since the trees presumably make the kobolds unable to see us, I'd like to move to m5
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-08-28 at 03:46 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

12. - Top - End - #162

Alessa realizes that it's a sacred druidic circle. Standing in the circle brings one in tune with the primordial elements of the world, allowing improved focus. (ooc: +1 to attack rolls while standing in the aura) She whispers this to those around her, shifts back into her watery form, and starts to follow Mertes.

Rat whispers back, "That could help our budding sharpshooters keep their discipline, but I don't like having them that exposed...or walking them into the killzone of a trap. We're staying here."

Mertes advances further along, discovering no traps with his eyes, stick, or feet.

(Map instructions: After you drag your counter, press enter. The page will refresh and the web address will change. Copy the new URL from the address box into your post.)

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503d385b39df6
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-28 at 05:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Please hold -- ambush incoming.

14. - Top - End - #164

Mertes completes his traversal of the forest and ventures out to climb the rocky outcropping. But before he can even find his first handhold, chaos erupts. The party is Surprised.

Javelins and sling bullets rain down from the treetops -- the kobolds have built camouflaged perches in the trees! Attacking them from the ground will be difficult; the fluttering leaves make it hard to see exactly where the kobold is, and the shelters provide a small amount of cover.

The first javelin aimed at Alessa sails wide, but the rest of them find their mark...and five javelins pass right through her watery form without inflicting any damage. The kobolds call to each other in amazement and dismay.

In response, three kobolds climb down from the trees near Alessa and point swords and javelin at her. One (that climbs down behind her before she can react) wears leather armor, and carries just three javelins, but the other two are more formidable: the closer (just out of reach) is armed with scale armor, a light shield, and a shortsword; and the farther one (who looks even shiftier than usual for a kobold) has leather armor and a shortsword. The leather-and-sword kobold charges toward her in a jerky, hard-to-follow manner, dodging past its fellow. She prepares herself to absorb the charge. As the kobold approaches, the javelin kobold behind her tries to distracts her, but the timing is off because of the cover provided by the trees, and she twists in such a way to avoid any damage to her form. (5 hits, 2 misses, 0 total damage to Alessa)

Mertes doesn't fare as well. True, only one javelin hits of the three thrown at him, but it seemed expertly thrown. Good thing his Goliath skin blunted the force of the blow. More troubling is the ceramic pot flung by the nearby slinger -- it bursts open on impact, emitting a noxious smell that causes Mertes to retch and gag. He's not disabled, but his fighting capacity will be hampered as long as the stink remains on him. (2 hits, 2 miss, 10 damage to Mertes, -2 to attacks, save ends)

Mertes and Arjhan are the first to gather their wits. (Arjhan is still totally concealed behind the treeline)

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503d995d7cbd7
    Round 0 - Surprise Round
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Anyone not surprised can only take one standard, move, or minor action and can't spend action points
    • Anyone surprised can only take free actions (no standard, move, minor, immediate, nor opportunity actions), grants CA, and can't flank

Kobold Quickblade: Climbs down tree at (t,5), wearing climbing gear. No longer Hidden.
    Minion 1: climbs down tree at (l,5) (Alessa doesn't get an OA due to Surprised.). No longer Hidden.
    Minions 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10: throw javelins at Alessa; attack rolls 6, 22, 24, 25, 23 vs AC (16). 5 hits, each for 4 damage, but it is all resisted. No longer Hidden.
    Minions 3, 5, and 8: throw javelins at Mertes, attack rolls CRIT, 12, 12, vs. AC (16). 1 hit for 4 damage (I hate minion crits). No longer Hidden.
    Dragonshield: climbs down tree at (o,5). no longer Hidden.
    Slinger: fires special shot at Mertes; attack roll 25 vs. AC (16). Hit for 6 damage and -2 penalty to attacks, save ends. No longer Hidden.

Round 1 - no more surprise
    Quickblade: Move - Fleet feet, shift up to 3 squares
    Minor - Shifty - Shift one square.
    Standard - Charge to (n,5) and attack Alessa; attack roll 15 vs. AC (16); miss.

Anyone under the trees has partial cover. Anyone in the treetops has partial cover and concealment. All minions (except minion 1) and the slinger are in the treetops (altitude 2, 10 feet up)
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-29 at 09:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    "Sneaky little leezard bastard!", hisses the barbarian as he receive a javelin and a pot of stinking ooze.
    Looking up in the trees, he spot the slinger. Not wanting to trigger a stupid pit, the goliath climb directly in the trees going toward the kobold with a wicked grin in his face, climbing as up as need to get a clear view of him and position himslef beside both enemies nearby.
    Once in line with the enemy, he place his footing on solid branches and pick up his axe in two hand and swing at the sligner.
    "Can you fly leezard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    took 10 damages and -2 to attack save ends.

Minor : Sustain endurance
    Move : : My movement depends on the rules with the trees cover/concealment (In any case, I start to climb/diagonaly in the trees directly not to fall in some pit...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletic to climb with the move : (1D20+11)[30] or (1D20+11)[19] (Take best)

NOTE : Numbers in bracket is altitude (ground Being 0)

If I need to be on the same eight of a kobold in the tree to negate concealment/cover and I can use my Pressing strike free shift 2 to climb one square (Move ->X13 (1)..... then use the shift 2 to climb to X13 (2)) NO OA

If I need to be on the same eight of a kobold in the tree to negate concealment/cover(Move -> X14 (1) -> X13 (2))... this would provoke an OA from the sligner only.

If being adjacent to (at any height) negate the conver/concealment or if there is no way to negate the penalties : (Move ->X13(1)) No OA provoked

Standard :Pressing Strike, shift 2 before attack (noted in movement mode above)
    Attack Kobold slinger (-2 (Stinking pot), -2 (cover), -2 (concealment))(1D20+2)[17] VS AC (Note that I counted the cover concealment penalties... add the according bonuses if I some of these are negated by my positioning - see movement)
    Hit : (1D12+4)[7] damages and push kobold sligner to V13 (2) so he fall (he got a save to prevent the push, if not (1D10)[6] falling damages)
    End of turn : save VS stinking pot (1D20)[15]

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...20/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...8
    Surge left/surge per day :...8/12
    AC:...17...FORT:...17... REF:...14...WILL:...14...
    Main Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Off Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (0/1)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance (Minor)

Effects on Mertes :
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Greataxe (named Life-Ender)
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Waterskin With Deputy commissioning papers inside.
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    Mertes Owe 65 GP to the group (disease treatment).
    5 GP
    36 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)
    Paper giving 500GP credit in Winterhaven (From Padraig)

XP : 1000
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-30 at 10:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166

The kobold sees Mertes coming up and lashes out with his dagger in a panic, managing to scratch Mertes, but he can't prevent the powerful axe blow. Knocked off his feet, he tries to grab hold and...

saving throw - (1d20)[18]

manages to avoid plunging to the ground below.

Updated Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503e69e7b2698
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-29 at 02:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a guttural roar, Arjhan springs to action, drawing his sword and attacking the nearest armored kobold with intense fervor.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Piercing Smite against O5
    Attack: (1d20+8)[18] -2 for concealment
    Hit: (2d8+4)[16] damage to O5, and O5+N5 are marked until the end of Arjhan's next turn

Move: from L0 to O4
    Minor: Draws his sword

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503e96b79744b
    Last edited by tedthehunter; 2012-08-29 at 05:26 PM.
    Crit rules run RAW in my games, now and forever, Amen.

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

18. - Top - End - #168

Crabb brings up his crossbow but thinks better of it and puts it down even before Rat puts a hand on his shoulder. Too many strong enemies close by.

The Dragonshield roars with fury at his defenses being breached by the surprise charge and the power of Bahamut. "Svent wer ustdan!" he calls out. He nods at the nearby minion, who disengages from Alessa and then circles around behind Arjhan, clashing his javelins together. It's just sound and fury, signifying nothing--it couldn't rattle Arjhan...could it?

Taking advantage of the distraction, most of the other minions unleash their javelins at Arjhan. His armor is sorely put to the test, and found wanting. Fueled by the kobolds' hatred of Bahamut, four of the javelins find their mark (16 damage to Arjhan)

The Dragonshield sees his enemy standing and unbowed despite the multiple javelins sticking out of his shield and armor. "D'nag riyit. Nomeno ir ui desta." He swings his sword at Arjhan, who moves to block it, but it's just a feint. The real attack is from the shield, which bashes into his knees, dislocating them both (12 damage to Arjhan, Bloodied, Immobilized until end of dragonshield's next turn) The kobold then shifts away from Arjhan, chortling with triumph as he sees the blood on his shield.

Over in Mertes's corner, the nearby minion finds a stock of courage from somewhere and charges at Mertes, aiming to shove him out of the tree. But Mertes's feet are planted firmly, and he shoves the kobold back.

The slinger kobold picks himself up and back away from Mertes carefully. Loading another pot into his sling, he hurls it at Mertes, but his aim is off. The pot smashes against nearby rocks, erupting briefly in flames.

The remaining kobold, at the west entrance, studies the battlefield, looking like he's waiting for something.

Zimelda and Alessa recover from the shock of the ambush.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503edd5222207

Round 0 - Surprise Round
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kobold Quickblade: Climbs down tree at (t,5), wearing climbing gear. No longer Hidden.
    Minion 1: climbs down tree at (l,5) (Alessa doesn't get an OA due to Surprised.). No longer Hidden.
    Minions 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10: throw javelins at Alessa; attack rolls 6, 22, 24, 25, 23 vs AC (16). 5 hits, each for 4 damage, but it is all resisted. No longer Hidden.
    Minions 3, 5, and 8: throw javelins at Mertes, attack rolls CRIT, 12, 12, vs. AC (16). 1 hit for 4 damage (I hate minion crits). No longer Hidden.
    Dragonshield: climbs down tree at (o,5). no longer Hidden.
    Slinger: fires special shot at Mertes; attack roll 25 vs. AC (16). Hit for 6 damage and -2 penalty to attacks, save ends. No longer Hidden.

Round 1
    Mertes: Minor - sustain endurance
    Move - climb tree, provoking
    Slinger: OA - MBA hits Mertes for 5
    Mertes: Standard - Pressing strike hits slinger for ? and attempted push out of the tree
    Slinger: Save - Success, stays in tree, but is rendered Prone
    Arjhan: Move - up to Dragonshield
    Standard - Piercing Smite on Dragonshield, hit for ? and marks
    Minion 1 - Aid Another on Dragonshield re Arjhan (18 vs dc 11, success)
    Minion 2 - javelin at Arjhan, roll 18 vs AC 20, miss
    Minion 3 - shift, javelin at Arjhan, roll 20 vs AC 20, hit, 4 damage
    Minion 4 - javelin at Arjhan, FUMBLE
    Minion 5 - shift, charge Mertes with bullrush, 12 vs Fort 16, miss
    Minion 6 - javelin at Arjhan, roll 22 vs AC 20, hit, 4 damage
    Minion 7 - readies an action
    Minion 8 - javelin at Arjhan, roll 20 vs AC 20, hit, 4 damage
    Minion 9 - javelin at Arjhan, roll 11 vs AC 20, miss
    Minion 10 - javelin at Arjhan, roll 21 vs AC 20, hit, 4 damage
    Dragonshield uses dirty tactics encounter power on Arjhan, roll ?? vs ?? Fort, hit, 12 damage and immobilized UE DS NT

Anyone under the trees has partial cover. Anyone in the treetops has concealment, and partial cover from anyone on the ground. Only Mertes and the minion and slinger near him are in the treetops.

draconic
    Spoiler
    Show

Kill the infidel.
    Nice trick. Mine is better.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda glares harshly at Rat and the boys. "Stay low, stay quiet, stay out of the way. If things go badly, run."

The Drow then races forward into the fray. She runs up alongside Alessa, and quickly sizes up the enemies and situation in front of her. "Arjhan," she hisses, "Lolth is probably getting tired of me asking her to save you." As she says this, she raises her left hand towards him, and a faint purple aura flickers around her gauntlet-shod fingertips.

She then snarls, runs forward, and swings her mace with all her might at the face of the kobold Quickblade. With both hands gripping the haft of the weapon, she channels some of her spiritual power into the head of the mace. As it (hopefully) smashes against the creature's skull, the lizard-beast's pain will serve as a catalyst, and invoke the healing energies of Lolth to descend upon Arjhan.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: K0 --> L4
    Swift Action: Healing Word on Arjhan - he spends a Surge and recovers (1d6+3)[9] extra HP
    Spend An Action Point For Extra Move Action
    Move: L4 --> N4
    Free Action: Channel Divinity - Divine Fortune (+1 to attack roll)
    Standard Action: Healing Strike on Quickblade

Healing Strike: (1d20+7)[16] vs AC
    On hit...
    Damage: (2d8+4)[8][2](14)
    Target is Marked
    Arjhan Spends a Healing Surge

New Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503f54ee9afff
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-08-30 at 06:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    The water elemental buffets the nearby quickblade, trying to shove it out of position with a torrent of angry water.

Standard Action: 1A - Slip & Slide, @ n5

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[5] vs. Reflex [incl. -2 for concealment]
    Hit: (1d8+5)[8] damage, and slide to o5.

Rest of turn depends on the result of this.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #171

Goyle's jaw drops as he sees the rapid exchange of blows, swords and maces ringing on shields and armor. It's all a blur to him. He probably couldn't shoot even if he wanted to.

Rat readies an action to get charge into the way of any kobold who approaches the boys with hostile intent.

Zimelda, calling on the blessing of her god, swings at the quickblade, but he dodges behind a tree. Calling on the boon granted by Lolth, divine power flares for an instant, just enough to make the strike hit, though the kobold shrugs it off. Arjhan seems to be completely recovered, though Zimelda does feel a tinge of annoyance that valuable divine resources are being repeatedly used for the benefit of a male -- and a Lawful Good male at that.

Alessa sends a shower of water at the kobold, but he holds his ground -- perhaps he has practiced jumping in and out of the waterfall entrance to the cave. She moves away from the fray.

Round 2

The quickblade's having none of that. Fighting the compulsion that Zimelda's attack put on him, it shifts away from the drow and breaks into another charge at Alessa. Its sword still can't find any place to damage the watery form of the elemental. Frustrated, it calls to its fellow kobolds, "Svanoa tir yth slathalin vi waphir niarhaanin?"

Mertes and Arjhan are up; Arjhan is still immobilized

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/503fdd135e46e

Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Mertes: Standard - Pressing strike hits slinger for ? and attempted push out of the tree
    Dragonshield uses dirty tactics encounter power on Arjhan, roll 21 vs fort 16, hit, 12 damage and immobilized UE DS NT
    Crabbe, Goyle: Delay
    Zimelda: Move
    Minor - healing word on Arjhan
    Free -divine fortune
    Standard - healing strike
    Free - lolth's boon used to make healing strike hit.
    Alessa: Standard - Slip 'n' slide (miss)
    Move - shift south
    Rat: Standard - ready an action

Round 2:
    Quickblade: Move - fleet feet, shift 3 squares to l4
    Minor - Shift to l3
    Standard - Charge to l5, short sword vs. Alessa, attack roll 11 vs AC 16 (miss)

Anyone in the the trees has partial cover. Anyone in the treetops has partial cover from anyone not in the treetops, and concealment from everybody. Most minions are in the treetops; so are Mertes and slinger. The minion near Arjhan is on the ground.

draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do we fight a living river?
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-30 at 04:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath turn his attention for a second onto the bugging little kobld and swing Life-ender at the kobold beside him to get room to move after the slinger.

Spoiler
    Show
    took 4 damages from OA... bloodied
    Minor :Sustain Endurance
    Standard : Pressing strike on the Minion 5 (-2 (Concealment)), (1D20+6)[8] VS AC
    Hit : [roll]1D12+[/roll] damages and push the goblin to V12
    Move : Move to W15 (only if i Hit Minion5 - so I dont get OAed)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...16/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...8
    Surge left/surge per day :...8/12
    AC:...17...FORT:...17... REF:...14...WILL:...14...
    Main Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Off Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (0/1)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance (Minor)

Effects on Mertes :
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.
    Bloodied

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Greataxe (named Life-Ender)
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Waterskin With Deputy commissioning papers inside.
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    Mertes Owe 65 GP to the group (disease treatment).
    5 GP
    36 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)
    Paper giving 500GP credit in Winterhaven (From Padraig)

XP : 1000

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arjhan flashes Zimelda a mocking grin and shouts over the sounds of battle, "Send your spider my sincerest apologies!" And with that he leaps back into the fray with waves of heat distorting the air around his mouth.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Valiant Strike against Minion 1 at o3
    Attack: (1d20+9)[28] vs. AC
    Hit: Minion Kill
    Minor Action: Dragon Breath against Minion 2 and Dragonshield at q5 and o6 respectively
    Attack (minion): (1d20+7)[19] vs. reflex
    Attack (Dragonshield): (1d20+7)[25] vs. reflex
    Hit: (1d6+1)[7] fire damage

Save against immobility (if needed): (1d20)[14]

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda grins at the dragonborn as he fires back his sarcastic reply and promptly opens up a can of Paladinic badassery on the nearby Kobolds. "Impressive! But bear in mind, that armor is not spider proof. You have to sleep some time!" she proclaims gleefully, while idly waving her hand at the Kobold Dragonshield, which results in a flickering halo of purple balefire appearing over his head. "Here, aim for the face. I need the teeth," she idly remarks, before rushing froward and swinging her own mace at the beast. If the blow connects, the kobold's face is left seared and glowing, making it even easier for her allies to target the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming minion 1 is dead, Zimelda will...
    Swift Action - Darkfire on the Kobold Dragonshield
    Movement - Move from N4 to N6
    Righteous Brand: (1d20+6)[12] (And +2 for Darkfire I believe, but I'm away from book atm) Vs. AC
    If hit...
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]
    Arjhan gains +3 attack bonus until the end of my turn

New Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/504050a32c1c1

25. - Top - End - #175

Round 2 continued

After pushing back the kobold who tried to shove him out of the tree, Mertes attempts to get rid of the annoyance, but can't get a good angle.

Arjhan begins continues to fight effectively, first dispatching the minion behind him with a sound blow, then blasting out a strong gout of flame from his mouth. The dragonshield can't get out of the way, and the powerful flame sears open wounds on his skin. But the other minion standing in the tree nearby seems to have a sixth sense about the incoming flames, and dives out of the way. For now it lives, but the platforms and leaves in the treetops don't fare so well. The dragonshield notes that the minion has lost its cover and concealment advantage, and signals. In resonse, the minion climbs down from the tree and skitters behind Arjhan, menacing him like the previous kobold did.

Agitated, the other minions throw their last javelins. Their accuracy this time is not good; only one manages to hit Arjhan, doing minimal damage (4 damage to Arjhan).

The dragonshield backs up, calls out Kiwieg sia vyth!" and launches into another charge at Arjhan. His sword punches another weak point through the Dragonborn's armor. ((1d6+6)[10] damage)

Over in Mertes's corner, the spunky kobold tries to shove Mertes again, and this time Mertes can't keep his footing. He grabs onto the branches to save himself from falling out of the tree, but he's prone.

The slinger chucks another pot at Mertes, but it also goes wide. He seems to be out of pots now.

Zimelda and Alessa are up. Quickblade is on deck unless you can end him.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/x/5040d49d96662
    Zones: Magic Circle, creatures standing in the zone have +1 to attacks
    Burned Treetops: treetops do not provide the usual cover or concealment to creatures there. Also treetop level becomes difficult terrain. Cover on ground is not affected.

Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragonshield uses dirty tactics encounter power on Arjhan, roll 21 vs fort 16, hit, 12 damage and immobilized UE DS NT
    Crabbe, Goyle: Delay
    Zimelda: Move
    Minor - healing word on Arjhan
    Free - divine fortune
    Standard - healing strike
    Free - lolth's boon used to make healing strike hit.
    Alessa: Standard - Slip 'n' slide (miss)
    Move - shift south
    Rat: Standard - ready an action
    Minor - order boys to use total defense

Round 2:
    Minor - Shift to l3
    Mertes - Standard: Pressing Strike on minion kobold, miss
    Minor: Sustain
    Move: None
    Arjhan - Standard - Valiant Strike on minion (hit, killed)
    Minor - Dragonbreath vs. DS and minion 2 - hits DS, creates burned treetops zone
    Minion 2 : Immediate Interrupt - Narrow Escape (Trigger: hit or missed by area or close attack) - shift out of the blast zone to (q,4)
    Minion 7's readied action didn't trigger and is lost.
    Minion 2 : Climb down tree, walk, shift, Standard - Aid Another on Dragonshield vs. Arjhan, attack roll 21 vs DC 11, success
    Minion 3 - climb down tree, walk, shift, javelin at Arjhan, roll 17 vs AC 20, miss
    Minion 4 - climb down, move closer, javelin at Arjhan, roll 22 vs AC 20, hit
    Minion 5 - bullrush on Mertes, 23 vs Fort 16, hit, Mertes gets 19 on saving throw and falls prone
    Minion 6 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 7 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 8 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 9 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 10 - climb down, move closer, javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Dragonshield - shift, charge Arjhan, roll 30 vs AC 20, hit
    Slinger - firepot at Mertes, 12 vs ac 16, miss

Anyone in the the trees has partial cover. Anyone in the treetops has partial cover from anyone not in the treetops, and concealment from everybody. Most minions are in the treetops; so are Mertes and slinger. The minion near Arjhan, and a few others, are on the ground.

Status at end of post:
    Spoiler
    Show

Minion 15/12/14/12, 9 remain
    Quickblade 15/12/14/12, 14 damage, marked by Zimelda
    Dragonshield 18/14/15/13, 23 damage, bloodied, marked by Arjhan
    Slinger 13/12/14/12, up a tree, 7 damage

Arjhan - 24/38 HP
    Mertes - 19/33 HP, up a tree, prone
    Alessa - 35/35 HP, watery form
    Zimelda - 29/29 HP

draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel my steel
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-31 at 10:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Water once again reaches out for the Quickblade, trying to draw it closer to the fray.

Standard Action: Slip & Slide, @ quickblade

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[20] Vs. Reflex
    Hit: (1d8+6)[8] damage and slide to m5.

Rest of turn depends on slide.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Having bodily dragged the kobold where it wants it fire roars out of the water to singe it and cause further damage. The elemental rushes to the side and loosens it's form, lashing out with a vortex of lascerating liquid at the dragonshield and quickblade.

Free Action: Elemental Legacy
    Move Action: Shift 1 right
    Action Point: Scattered Form, CBurst 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Vs Q: (1d20+4)[13] Vs Reflex
    Vs D: (1d20+4)[13] Vs Reflex
    Hit: (2d6+6)[14] damage.
    Effect: Alessa takes half damage from all Melee or ranged attacks UEMNT.

Legacy: Quickblade takes 3 extra fire damage.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #178

Round 2 continued

As soon as Zimelda raises her hand, apparently letting her guard down an instant, the two kobolds adjacent to her strike with spear and sword. The Dragonshield's overhead chop isn't anywhere near her, and the trees foil the minion's spearthrust. (using a Ranged power in melee, two OAs both miss) Despite the distraction, Zimelda still manages to catch the shieldbearer with her Darkfire, in theory making it easier to hit. Perhaps Lolth is looking the other way now, though; the kobold's armor resists her mace. (Edit: retcon, dice fudged, see future post)

A second stream of water surprises the Quickblade, who is blasted and pulled, opening up several wounds. Alessa's followup blast at multiple kobolds is blocked by the tree trunks.

The boys find a better defensive position, and Rat remains ready.

Round 3 begins!

The Quickblade takes an instant to assess its position. Alessa, already known to be a hard target, seems even less solid than usual, so the choice is clear. It dances away from Zimelda and Alessa without leaving an opening, then charges Zimelda, flanking her with the minion. Her armor turns the blade again and the kobold lets out a stream of invective and spittle. (EDIT: See future post)

Mertes and Arjhan up, minions, DS, and slinger on deck

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/x/504102b4f1049
    Zones:
    Magic Circle - creatures standing on the ground in the zone have +1 to attacks
    Burned Treetops - treetops do not provide the usual cover or concealment to creatures there. Also treetop level becomes difficult terrain. Cover on ground is not affected.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Round 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Minor - Shift to l3
    Mertes - Standard: Pressing Strike on minion kobold, miss
    Minor: Sustain
    Move: None
    Arjhan - Standard - Valiant Strike on minion (hit, killed)
    Minor - Dragonbreath vs. DS and minion 2 - hits DS, creates burned treetops zone
    End of turn - mark on DS expires
    Minion 2 : Immediate Interrupt - Narrow Escape (Trigger: hit or missed by area or close attack) - shift out of the blast zone to (q,4)
    Minion 7's readied action didn't trigger and is lost.
    Minion 2 : Climb down tree, walk, shift, Standard - Aid Another on Dragonshield vs. Arjhan, attack roll 21 vs DC 11, success
    Minion 3 - climb down tree, walk, shift, javelin at Arjhan, roll 17 vs AC 20, miss
    Minion 4 - climb down, move closer, javelin at Arjhan, roll 22 vs AC 20, hit
    Minion 5 - bullrush on Mertes, 23 vs Fort 16, hit, Mertes gets 19 on saving throw and falls prone
    Minion 6 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 7 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 8 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 9 - javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Minion 10 - climb down, move closer, javelin at Arjhan, miss
    Dragonshield - shift, charge Arjhan, roll 30 vs AC 20, hit
    Slinger - firepot at Mertes, 12 vs ac 16, miss
    Zimelda - Minor: Cast Darkfire on DS, provoking
    DS - Opportunity Action: Shortsword at Zimelda, 8 vs AC 18, miss
    Minion 2 - Opportunity Action: Spear at Zimelda, 15 vs AC 18, miss
    Zimelda - Standard: Righteous Brand on DS, miss
    End of turn: Mark on Quickblade expires
    Alessa - Slip 'n' Slide on Quickblade, hit, 8 damage
    Anyone in the the trees has partial cover. Anyone in the treetops has partial cover from anyone not in the treetops, and concealment from everybody. Most minions are in the treetops; so are Mertes and slinger. The minion near Arjhan, and a few others, are on the ground.

Round 3:
    Quickblade - Move: fleet feet to J3
    Minor - shift to j4
    Standard - charge Zimelda, to M5, attack 13 vs AC 18, miss

Status at end of post:
    Spoiler
    Show

Minion 15/12/14/12, 9 remain
    Quickblade 15/12/14/12, 25 damage, bloodied
    Dragonshield 18/14/15/13, 23 damage, bloodied, Darkfire (grant CA)
    Slinger 13/12/14/12, up a tree, 7 damage

Arjhan - 24/38 HP
    Mertes - 19/33 HP, up a tree, prone
    Alessa - 35/35 HP, elemental form, scattered form (resist 50% melee and ranged)
    Zimelda - 29/29 HP
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-03 at 11:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Mertes pulls himself to his feet, blocking out the pain. He swings wildly at the scrawny kobold near him, and only hits leaves. "You miss!" taunts the kobold, preparing to knock Mertes down again.

Arjhan is up

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/x/504102b4f1049
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-31 at 01:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

The armored kobold's attack wipes the grin off Arjhan's face, and he spins to face his adversary. He raises his sword high above his head and roars his displeasure, then swings the now faintly glowing sword towards the kobold's head.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Divine strength - +4 damage to next attack this turn
    Free: Item encounter power - +1 damage

Standard: Valiant Strike against Dragonshield at o5
    Attack: (1d20+10)[17] vs. AC
    Hit: (1d8+9)[17] damage