New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD4E] Snowbody's Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

Alessa
    And so the purpose of that lazy sentry is revealed. Unfortunate. They will be preparing for us, now; all the more reason not to rush in until everyone is rested, states Alessa. They think the waterfall protects them, but they are about to learn just how deadly water can be.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath nod,
    "I agree Alessa. Once Zimelda will have tended my wounds, I'll climb there and keep an eye on all the entries and rest there. You guys still shall be ready in case they dare to come out."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arjhan moves to the visibly shaken young men and says, "The horrors of battle affect us all. You boys did well. Here." He offers them a waterskin to drink from.

After seeing to the boys, he turns to the rest of his friends and says, "I think Alessa is right. Let us take a moment to prepare ourselves before we venture through the waterfall."
    Crit rules run RAW in my games, now and forever, Amen.

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    Mertes add the money tfound to the group loot bag, then let Zimelda heal him some. Then climb up to watch the area and rest. After his rest, he feel up for battle and await the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    I added the money ot the group loot.
    Zimelda heal Mertes 15 HP (-1 surge)
    Mertes Regain 8 during rest (-1 Surge)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...39/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...8
    Surge left/surge per day :...6/12
    AC:...17...FORT:...17... REF:...14...WILL:...14...
    Main Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Off Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Encounter count : 2
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (1/2)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Endurance UENT (Sustain)

Effects on Mertes :
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Greataxe (named Life-Ender)
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Waterskin With Deputy commissioning papers inside.
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    Mertes Owe 65 GP to the group (disease treatment).
    9 GP
    53 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)
    Paper giving 500GP credit in Winterhaven (From Padraig)

XP : 1156

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

After the boys don't respond to Zimelda's order, Rat takes the shield and two of the shortswords, cleaning them on the grass. "We'll try to keep the boys out of melee a little longer. I'll give these to them when they buck up."

Crabb, absently presenting Zimelda with the bloody teeth, briefly looks at her and asks "Mistress Zimelda? Please...don't do that...thing again."

Goyle is still staring at nothing. He speaks, probably directed to Arjhan. "He looked at me... He was alive and I shot him and then he looked at me and then he was dead. Did he have a dad? Did he have any children?"

Another message comes from Eric to Zimelda:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Naw, I think just his afternoon nap. Another fight? Wish I could be there. Send a message when it's over. Good luck!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda doesn't bother sending a reply, as time is likely now of the essence. She places the stone back in her backpack and slings it back over her shoulders. She walks over to Mertes, grips him by the shoulders, closes her eyes, and begins to silently mouth prayers to Lolth. Healing energy glows around her fingertips, and the Goliath's injuries begin to rapidly heal.

When Crabbe addresses her, she opens one eye and looks at him with a neutral expression. "Which thing?" she asks flatly. The boy really needs to be more specific. She did a lot of things over the last fifteen minutes that probably made him quite uncomfortable. The fact that he has the testicular fortitude to actually ask her to stop actually impresses her, though she won't let him know that.

Her eye shifts to look at Goyle, and then to Arjhan. She stares at the Dragonborn for a moment, before closing her eye and resuming her holy duty. She decides that this would be a situation the Paladin should handle, as anything she said would only make things worse.

She makes a mental note that she really needs to stop traveling with these people. They're making her nice and responsible, and she doesn't like it.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

"He'd have done the same to you, son. You did the right thing." With that Arjhan leaves the boys to Rat's care. He notes with approval that Zimelda has been silent about the matter. The boys don't need it.

He addresses the group, "Whenever you're ready to proceed, my friends."

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    I assume that those inside know little of our tactics. As a result, they will not immediately suspect that their weapons will have little impact on my elemental form. Accordingly, while I am sure Ser Arjhan wishes to center the front line, I recommend that I draw any initial fire, wasting their ammunition and time.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath nod at Alessa sugestion.
    "Before you head in, I'll climb up the ledge to check inside. If it link up with the waterfall entry, I'll go in that way, If not 'Ill go back down t enter with you all. Better not spli up too much, more so no that they know we are coming."

10. - Top - End - #220

...stomping on his head after you killed him...I don't want to get cursed...

Zimelda recalls from her religious training recalls that a common superstition is that doing unnecessary violence to a dead body attracts curses and hauntings from the wayward soul of the deceased.

Mertes climbs to the top of the cliff and is in front of the closed curtain. With the waterfall nearby, no noises pass through.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda gives Crabbe a small, charming smile. "Lolth approves of my methods. You have nothing to fear. And you must remember, these creatures are weak and cowardly. When they work together, they fall under an illusion that they are stronger. Invincible, because of their overwhelming numbers, with no chance that they, of all kobolds, will be struck down. 'It won't be me,' they think."

She holds up her armored hand, flexes it, and then balls it into a fist. "These creatures sometimes must be reminded of their weakness. When they witness the death of their comrade, a chink appears in that illusion of invincibility. When that comrade suffers a violent, agonizing death, that illusion is shattered utterly, and the creature once again realizes that a painful death is a real possibility, numbers be damned. By stomping on that kobold's face, I demoralized its brethren and reduced their combat effectiveness. I was no longer the outnumbered foe. I was something they wanted to stay very far away from," she leers.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath wait for his allies to be ready to enter the waterfall if need be, then take a quick look inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception : (1D20+8)[15]

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Lady Zimelda's... demonstration was indeed an effective demoralizing strategy. Battle is conducted as much in the mind as it is with weapons.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #224

Mertes sees:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pitch blackness. As his eyes start to adjust, it looks like a tunnel carved through the rock of the cave. In the distance there is a red glow of uncertain source, and 25-30 feet away there's some natural light shining onto the right (east) side of the tunnel, apparently coming from the the left (west) side, shimmering as if filtered through a waterfall. So it apparently does connect.

A javelin comes whipping out of the darkness:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kobold minion attack - (1d20+8)[28] vs Mertes AC 17 for 4 damage if hit

Expertly thrown, it's fortunate that the kobolds are weak, and it barely pierces his armor (4 damage to Mertes). The kobold quietly snickers. "Me can see yooooo!" The echoing of the tunnel makes it impossible to pinpoint where it is....but Mertes can trace back the path of the javelin and figures out where the kobold must be hiding.

Crabbe relies to Zimelda, "So that all was...what you had to do?" He seems to accept it, but he still doesn't like it.

Goyle mutters, "I thought it would be glorious...I don't feel glorious...does it get better?"
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-14 at 09:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

(OOC: The kobold beat Mertes in initiative, so now it gets its full turn)

Mertes hears
    Spoiler
    Show

the kobold scattering something on the ground, then it slinks off into the tunnel, trying to stay out of the light.

The tunnel is 5 foot by 5 foot, much more roomy than kobolds need (but then again, Ninaran said they weren't the original inhabitants). Mertes would have to crouch slightly to enter, but he'd have enough space to swing his axe and defend himself without a problem (OOC: No squeezing penalties). However, jumping would be difficult due to the lack of clearance.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1
    Kobold Minion
    Standard: Scatter ??? on floor in the square nearest the curtain. Thievery - (1d20+8)[15]
    Move: 2 squares south and attempt to hide. Stealth - (1d20+8)[23] vs Mertes PP of 18
    Minor: do something (Mertes may see this if the kobold's stealth doesn't beat Mertes passive perception)

Mechanical stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Previously, Mertes stuck his head inside the curtain (a "no action") and then rolled active perception (minor). The kobold sentry noticed him with passive perception and used his surprise action to throw a javelin. The curtain normally blocks line of sight and line of effect. When Mertes peeked through, he had total concealment and superior cover due to being mostly behind the curtain, but the kobold critted.

On his turn, Mertes has a few options. He can move through the curtain (double movement cost a la difficult terrain), but the curtain would close again, leaving him in a dark tunnel with no LoS nor LoE to the outside. He can rip down the curtain, a standard action strength check (i.e. +5) vs DC 10. Rolling Athletics to jump over the "stuff" on the floor is still possible, but there's no room for a running start. If Mertes wants to jump one square, even though Mertes's +11 Athletics is an auto-pass he still has to roll. Also, Mertes will have to roll Acrobatics to determine if he bumps his head on the ceiling, falls prone on landing, or both.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath rip off the crutain. Unable to see the kobold right now, he still move into the cavern. Instead of trying to jump over whatever the enemy droped and risk hitting his head on the low celling, he decide to use his physical strenght and take advantage of the close walls to his advantage. The goliath use both walls to to get across the traped floor, hand onto one side, feet on the other.
    Once he cleared the dangerous square, he put his feet back onto the ground and walk into the cavern.

Spoiler
    Show
    Took 4 damages from Javelin
    Minor : Stow greataxe.
    Standard : Rip off the curtain (roll in OOC = 18)
    Move : I move in the carven.
    Ok, My goal is to use the wall to walk across the traped square instead of jumping. I beleive this is something physical rather than acrobatic and with 5 feet wide corridor, it should be doable.
    End of turn : sustain endurance ends.

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...35/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Main Hand :
    Off Hand :
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (1/2)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :

Effects on Mertes :
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    9 GP
    53 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-09-17 at 11:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Mertes rips down the curtain, and light floods into the tunnel, revealing the caltrops on the ground, and the kobold pressed against the wall a little ways inward. It shrieks at being revealed, and Mertes chimneys over the caltrops and drops down about 10 feet away, readying his axe as soon as he hits the floor. Mertes feels a twinge of pain in his arms from the exertion.

The kobold reacts by backing further down the passage (adjacent to the area where it opens up) then turns to fling another javelin at Mertes, which scores another glancing blow (4 damage to Mertes). It chitters a warning, and another kobold emerges from hiding to fling another javelin. It was supposed to be directed at Mertes, but the kobold nearly takes its compatriot's head off instead. The sentry shouts curses in Draconic. They both then skitter out of sight around a corner 50 feet away from Mertes, still chittering at each other angrily, and Mertes thinks he knows at least one of them is.

The red light seems to be coming from ground level, further into the cave.

Mertes's arms start to throb with pain; unless he can master it again he'll find himself hampered.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kobold Minion
    • Standard: Scatter caltrops on floor in the square nearest the curtain. (1d20+6)[15](21)
    • Move: 2 squares south and attempt to hide. 23 vs Mertes PP of 18, success
    • Minor: do something (Mertes may see this if the kobold's stealth doesn't beat Mertes passive perception)
    Mertes
    • Standard: Tear down curtain, strength 18 vs DC 10, pass, exposing the kobold
    • Move: brace on walls and climb past caltrops
    • Minor: Sustain endurancedraw axe

Round 2
    Minion 1
    • Minor: Shift further south
    • Standard: Javelin at Mertes, (1d20+6)[15](21) vs Mertes AC 17, hit, 4 damage
    • Free: Chitter to Minion 2
    • Move: Out of sight around corner, stealth (1d20+3)[7] vs Mertes PP 18

Minion 2
    • Standard: Javelin at Mertes, (1d20+6)[1](7) vs Mertes AC 17, FUMBLE
    • Move: Out of sight around corner, stealth (1d20+3)[12] vs Mertes PP 18
    • Minor: Shifty to try hiding again if it's not hidden already, Out of sight around corner, stealth (1d20+8)[26] vs Mertes PP 18

Conditions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mertes - 25/33 HP, wielding Life-ender; wrenched arms (-2 to attacks and skill checks involving arms unless an Endurance check is passed)
    Minion 1 - 11 squares away, no line of sight to Mertes, not hidden
    Minion 2 - Hidden, at least 11 squares away

Mertes is up
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-17 at 04:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath look outside and yell to his allies.
    ((This may require a perception at DM request to read spoiler below :))
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Move in guys, I'll meet you there!"

He then move toward the corner, but then readying a charge if an enemy show up in line of sight again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Took 4 damages (note that my max HP is 39 now)
    Minor : TRy to sustain endurance (1D20+7)[27] VS 10
    move : move 6 squares in tunnel.
    Standard : Ready a charge on enemy showing its ugly head in sight
    Spoiler
    Show
    Howling Strike (+1 (Charge)), (1D20+9)[24] VS AC
    Hit : [roll]1D12+[/roll] + (1D6)[2] damages

Note that if I do that and kill a kobold and can see an other deeper, I may also charge it with swift charge unless I detect possible real danger (like 10 other kobold

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...31/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Main Hand : Life-ender (Battleaxe)
    Off Hand : Life-ender (Battleaxe)
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (1/2)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance

Effects on Mertes :

Readied a charge.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    9 GP
    53 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-09-20 at 06:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229

The tunnel opens up on the right, giving Mertes a clear view of a large room behind the waterfall. At least a dozen kobolds mill around the room. Most are the weak spear-and-javelin type, but there are also several of the extra-shifty type with the sword.

Several of the minions look like they're ready to throw their javelins (readied action).

There's another similar ledge on the opposite (west) side of the cavern, 25 feet up, with kobolds standing on it.

-- sorry, I'll do the rolls in the morning

OOC: You may switch to another standard action, since new information arrived during Mertes's move. If you ready the action indicated, it will trigger immediately and Mertes will charge off the edge, falling down 30 feet for 3d10 damage reduced by half of his 1d20+7 acrobatics check, an average of 7 damage. He could take as much as 26 damage, but he's actually got a decent chance to land on his feet and continue the charge at the nearest minion. But I suspect that's not what you want to do.

Also I have a map, but it's on my other computer.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Mertes beckons. Come, we must assist. The woman once again dissolves into her true form, and the animated wave of water surges down the river and through the waterfall into the interior.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alessa is Aquatic, so I believe she ignores any difficult terrain caused by water that is not deep enough to require her to switch to her swim speed (which is only 2, sadly). In case that's relevant, what with the waterfall and such.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-09-19 at 11:13 PM.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #231

Here's what Mertes sees: (rest of map will be revealed soon)
    http://beta.ditzie.com/505b4ff5041e7

Green fuzz = upstairs passage

Downstairs, it looks like this:
    http://beta.ditzie.com/505b51e86db78

In total Mertes can see:
    10 minions (5 upstairs, 5 downstairs)
    3 skirmishers
    1 wyrmpriest
    1 dragonshield

the red light is coming from somewhere near the dragonshield (red fog of war)

Minions 6, 7, and 8 throw javelins as readied action. Mertes has partial cover from #6 and #7 due to being upstairs and too close. No CA because you spotted each other at the same time.
    minion 6 - (1d20+4)[19](23) vs AC 16 for 4 damage if hit
    minion 7 - (1d20+4)[17](21) vs AC 16 for 4 damage if hit
    minion 8 - (1d20+6)[16](22) vs AC 16 for 4 damage if hit.

Minion 9 throws something downwards as a readied action. It swings back up again at Mertes, and as it appears he sees it's a wolf skull, tied to a chain that is embedded in the ceiling of the cave.
    minion 9 - (1d20+9)[10](19) vs Ref 13 for (1d4+4)[5] damage
    Minion 3 then pulls on another rope as a readied action, drawing the skull back to him.

In light of the kobolds' surprising accuracy, Mertes withdraws and takes a moment to catch his breath and recover his accuracy. (second wind, healing surge spent, 9HP regained, +2 to defenses USNT(Mertes))

Alessa then bursts through the waterfall, seeing the following scene:
    http://beta.ditzie.com/505b54ef943c9

Far in the distance, flanked by two dragonshields, there is a goblin sitting on a throne from which a red light emanates, lighting up the cavern.

Three of the minions throw javelins at Alessa, to no effect other than their cries of dismay.

One of the quickblades charges her, but its blade swings through without doing any damage.
    (1d20+9)[2](11) vs Alessa AC (16) for (1d6+11)[17]

Current Map:
    http://beta.ditzie.com/505b5680e07c9
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-24 at 10:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    As the barbarian enter the room, he receive a barrage of javelins and a weird skull shaped thing. He cannot dodge any of the multiples projectiles and end up quite wounded. Takinf a few steps back, he take a few moments regain focus and stop some of his bleeding wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 17 damages.

Move : Move to S1
    Standard : Second wind (+9 HP, loose a surge, +2 all denfese USNT)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...23/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...9
    Surge left/surge per day :...5/12
    AC:...17 (19)...FORT:...17 (19)... REF:...14 (16)...WILL:...14 (16)...
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (1/2)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance

Effects on Mertes :
    +2 all defenses USNT (Mertes)

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    9 GP
    53 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-09-24 at 02:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Current Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/505b67ac35133

Alessa still has the rest of her move action (she only used up 2 squares of movement), as well as her standard and minor actions. It's also Arjhan and Zimelda's turns.

Current Conditions:
    Minions - none (other than being minions), all readied actions have fired
    Dragonshields - Delaying
    Goblin - Delaying
    Skirmishers - 2 still have readied actions (though only Alessa and Mertes know this)
    Wyrmpriest - Delaying
    Mertes - Second Wind (+2 to all defense UENT(Mertes))

Alessa - Elemental Form (resist all 4)
    Zimelda - none
    Arjhan - none
    Rat - minion
    Crabb - minion
    Goyle - minion
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-20 at 02:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sloshing through the large pool of water towards Alessa, Arjhan extends a shielded hand, and with a word, causes the nearest kobold to turn its attention to him. "Face me, wretch!"

Then he swings his sword in a faintly glowing arc towards the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Holy Strike against j1
    Attack: (1d20+8)[10] vs. AC
    Hit: (1d8+6)[9] damage

Move: from l- to k1

Minor: Divine Challenge against j1

New map: http://beta.ditzie.com/505bd118c072d

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

When the boys ask if killing ever gets better, Zimelda shakes her head solemnly. "For many... no." She then turns to Rat. "Watch the boys. Keep them safe. It may be better if you stay out here, as there's no telling what's waiting on the other side. Now then," she turns, "I am off to kill things."

Zimelda charges through the waterfall. And immediately sees Arjhan and Alessa fighting a Kobold Quickblade. "Oh, hello!" she cheerfully chimes. "Allow me to join this little dance of death!"

She swiftly follows up this quip with a mace to the face.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to K0
    Priest's Shield attack against Quickblade

Attack: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7]

If hit, Zimelda and Arjhan gain +1 AC until the end of her next turn.

New Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/505cafebf419d
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2012-09-21 at 01:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    As intended, the opening barrage passes through the elemental harmlessly. She ignores the quickblade at the entrance, leaving him for when Arjhan and Zimelda enter. Instead, she charges the next one.

Finish move action
    Charge to e6 @ quickblade there, Slip n' Slide

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+7)[19] Vs Reflex
    Hit: (1d8+5)[10] damage and slide to g7.

No map update, on phone with no enter key.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zimelda leers as her mace draws blood from the kobold, wounding it severely. "What is wrong little kobold? Can you not dance?" she barks cheerfully, insane glee sparkling in her eyes. "Will you not join me in this dance of death? Perhaps I should find other dancers then!" she grins, before pointing at the nearest kobold minion. "Perhaps you?" She points to another kobold. "Or you?"

She then looks back at the quickblade, and leers. "No little kobold, you shall be my partner in this macabre dance. If you cannot keep pace, then I suggest you flee!"

Spoiler
    Show

Enemies now take a -2 penalty to hit Zimelda until she's either hit again, or the attack ends.

Also, since I bloodied the Quickblade, I can try to force him to surrender.

Intimidate: (1d20+10)[16]

28. - Top - End - #238

Round 2 continued
    Mertes takes refuge back in the tunnel and regains his composure after being surprised by the hail of javelins. His blood still drips on the floor.

Alessa easily flows through the waterfall, and ignores the puny javelins and charging swordthrusts sent her way, continuing on towards her first target. The Quickblade next to her lashes out as she steps away, but its sword glances off her flowing form. A minion's spear also pokes at her tentatively and finds no purchase. Her charge overwhelms the western Quickblade, sending it stumbling off to the southeast, just as Arjhan comes through the waterfall.

The kobold regains its footing and then charges (to K2) at Arjhan, who blocks the blow with his shield. Arjhan strikes at the original quickblade but misjudges his aim and only scrapes its armor. Bahamut's radiance shines around it, compelling the kobold to focus on the Dragonborn.

Zimelda steps through the waterfall and the eastern kobold curses as it knows it can't reach her in time (readied action foiled due to Zimelda being out of charge range). Her mace solidly connects with the first kobold's head, knocking several teeth out, gaining lolth's blessing on herself and the dragonborn. Her intimidating words cut to the hearts of all the kobolds. The kobold she hit (and badly wounded) starts to shudder in fear and looks on the verge of giving up.

Round 3

Seeing his troops starting to waver, the wyrmpriest standing in the doorway far to the south runs (-5 to attacks, grant CA USNT) into the main cavern, then shouts, his words resounding off the cavern walls: "jaciv ui ti versvesh! usk oth majakic udoka dastudr! eligne hesi vis okarthel!"

All the kobolds snap to alertness as the shout awakens something in their kobold blood, and they all move toward the battle. (5 THP to all kobolds, and they all can shift 1) To reinforce his point, the wyrmpriest spits a ball of fire at Zimelda, managing to just arc it just over Arjhan to burst on the Drow, who is slightly singed (hit reflex, 6 damage to Zimelda). All the kobolds cheer as the hit shatters Zimelda's projection of invulnerability.

The minions maneuver closer to the fray (those near Mertes seem to find good hiding spots, Mertes loses track of them). Realizing their spears have small chance of penetrating the armor of their targets, they switch to a support role, harrying the feet of the heroes and preventing them from getting good position (3 success, 1 failure). One off to the side throws a javelin at Zimelda, piercing through her divine protection and her armor (CRIT, 4 damage to Zimelda).

The kobold with the skull flings it down at Arjhan, bonking him on the head. (hit reflex, 7 damage to Arjhan) His fellow then reels in the skull again.

Aided by the work of the minions, the two quickblades carefully back off from Arjhan and Zimelda, and both charge the Dragonborn. He expertly blocks one blow with his shield, then turns to parry the other one with his sword.

The kobolds near Alessa work better as a team, thrusting their spears all around her and leaving the elemental nowhere to dodge. The quickblade spots a crucial flow in the the stream of water and slashes at just the right moment, severely disrupting it (hit, 11 damage to Alessa after resist).

Alessa hears
    Spoiler
    Show
    faint cries for help coming from the western edge of the goblin's throne room

The dragonshields and the goblin seem content to watch the battle unfold. (Delay) The goblin turns to the west and yells toward the doorway, "Shut mouth or I feed you to ghost!"

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upper level -http://beta.ditzie.com/x/505fe713c4e1c
    Lower level - http://beta.ditzie.com/x/505fe6faf3795

Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Minion 1 throws javelin at Mertes, CRIT, 4 damage to Mertes, scatters caltrops, then withdraws and hides
    Mertes
    Standard - tear down curtain, revealing kobold
    Move - chimney over caltrops
    Minor - ready Axe

Round 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Minion 1 throws javelin at Mertes, hit, 4 damage to Mertes, withdraws, warns other kobolds, fails to hide
    • Minion 2 throws javelin at Mertes, FUMBLE, withdraws around corner and hides
    • Mertes:
      • Free - call companions
      • Minor - Resume sustain endurance
      • Move - out of tunnel, triggering readied actions from kobolds:
        • Minion 6: throw javelin at Mertes, hit
        • Minion 7: throw javelin at Mertes, hit
        • Minion 8: throw javelin at Mertes, hit
        • Minion 9: fling skull-on-a-chain at Mertes, hit
        • Minion 3: reel in skull
      • Move (continued): back into cover
      • Standard: Second Wind
    • Alessa:
      • Move - through waterfall, triggering readied actions:
        • Several ineffective minion attacks
        • Quickblade 1 charges, miss
      • Move (continued) + Standard - Charge to (e,6), attack Quickblade 2 with Slip 'n' Slide, Hit, 13 damage, quickblade 2 slid to (g,7)
    • Arjhan: Move through waterfall, Minor DC quickblade 1, Standard attack quickblade 1, miss
    • Zimelda: Move through waterfall, Standard attack quickblade 1, crit. Free: Execution Strike, 8 more damage. Free: Intimidate check to force Quickblade 1 to surrender (fail by 1)

Round 3
    • Wyrmpriest
      • Move - RUN to (n,9)
      • Minor - Incite Faith (Encounter power) All kobolds receive 5 THP
      • Standard - Energy Orb at Zimelda - 16 including run, partial cover (Arjhan), and ruthless demonstration penalties hits reflex 13, for 6 damage
    • Minions
      • Minion 1 - Hide (21 stealth beat Mertes PP 18)
      • Minion 2 - Hide (21 stealth beat Mertes PP 18)
      • Minion 3 - throw skull at Arjhan (18 hit reflex 15, 7 damage)
      • Minion 4 - Aid Another on Alessa, 23 beat DC 11, bonus given to Quickblade 3
      • Minion 5 - javelin at Zimelda, CRIT, 4 damage
      • Minion 6 - Aid another on Arjhan, 12 beat DC 11, bonus given to Quickblade 2
      • Minion 7 - Aid another on Arjhan, 19 beat DC 11, bonus given to Quickblade 1
      • Minion 8 - Hide (28 stealth beat Mertes PP 18)
      • Minion 9 - reel in skull
      • Minion 10 - Aid another on Alessa, 24 beat DC 11, bonus given to Quickblade 3
    • Quickblade 1: Minor - Shifty to Shift away, Move - Fleet Feet to shift away, Standard - Charge Arjhan, 14 miss AC 22
    • Quickblade 2: Minor - Shifty to Shift away, Move - Fleet Feet to shift away, Standard - Charge Arjhan, 11 miss AC 22
    • Quickblade 3: Minor - Shifty to Shift away, Move - Fleet Feet to shift away, Standard - Charge Alessa, 28 hit AC 16, 11 damage after resist
    • Dragonshields
      • Delay
    • Goblin
      • Delay

Spoiler
    Show
    Alessa: 24/35 HP, Elemental form (resist all 4)
    Arjhan: 31/38 HP, Priest's Shield (+1 AC UENT(Zimelda))
    Mertes: 16/33 HP, Bloodied, Second wind (+2 all defenses UST)
    Zimelda: 19/29 HP, Priest's Shield (+1 AC UENT)
    Minions: 10 remain, all have 5 THP. #3 is holding the skull. #1, #2, #3, #8, and #9 are on the upper walkway. #1, #2, and #8 are Hidden from Mertes and have readied actions.
    Quickblade 1: 20 damage, 5 THP, bloodied, DC by Arjhan
    Quickblade 2: 13 damage, 5 THP
    Quickblade 3: 0 damage, 5 THP
    Wyrmpriest: Run (Grant CA, -5 to attacks USNT)
    Dragonshields: Delay
    Goblin: Delay

Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    She is not strong! Iron tooth gives us strength! Defend our true home!

Up Next: The Winterhaven Irregulars
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-09-24 at 10:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    The unstoppable elemental continues to tear into the kobolds, restructuring herself and lashing out at those around her, leaving her form scattered and resistant to further assault.

Minor Action: Second Wind via Elemental Resilience, regain 8 HP
    Standard Action: Scattered Form, CBurst 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage on Hit: (2d6+5)[8] damage.

vs. Minion 4: (1d20+6)[19] vs. Reflex
    vs. Minion 10: (1d20+6)[10] vs. Reflex
    vs. Quickblade 2: (1d20+6)[13] vs. Reflex

Effect: In addition to having Resist 4 (Melee and Ranged), Alessa takes half damage from melee and ranged attacks until the end of her next turn.

She also gains +2 to all defenses until the end of her next turn, from using her Second Wind.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mertes
    The goliath hear his allies enter the main room and draw most of the enemies attention. Still, the goliath summon his inate ability and harden his skin and stroll into the main room on the high ledge.
    The two of the 3 javelins whould had connected, but his enhanced skin simply deflect the weak projectiles.
    Now that he can spot the goblins, the barbarian rush forward in a furious charge at the second goblin but misjudge the distance and miss him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Start of turn :+2 to defense ends
    Minor : Stone endurance , Resist 5 to all damages UENT (Mertes)
    Move : Move to S7 (receive javelin = no damages)
    standard : Charge Minion 2 at Q11 (No Oa) jumping ove the last two squares of movement (auto-succes - in case there is some more trap) using howling Strike
    Attack on Minion 2 (+1 (Charge)): (1D20+9)[13] VS AC (hurray for crappry rolls.
    Hit : (1D12+4)[10] + (1D6)[6] damages

Free action (If I kill target only) : Swift charge Minion 8 at M11 (provoke Oa - dont forget resist 5) jumping over the last two squares (auto-success) using howling strike.
    Attack on minion 8 (+1 ( Charge)) : (1D20+9)[16] VS AC
    Hit : (1D12+4)[7] + (1D6)[6] damages
    end of turn : Sustain endurance ends.
    NOTE : If I would do acrit on the first attack, I would use rampages on the other adjacent minion and not waste swift charge.

(Note that if I kill a creature I gain 4 THP)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...23/39...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...9
    Surge left/surge per day :...5/12
    AC:...17 ...FORT:...17 ... REF:...14 ...WILL:...14 ...
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (1/2)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge
    Iron Wolf Charge
    Nomad's Rush

Tyrant's Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :

Effects on Mertes :
    [S]Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.
    Resist 5 to all damages UENT (Mertes)

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    9 GP
    53 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)

Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-09-24 at 02:49 PM.