New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Mk III

1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ishmael Mk III

Ishmael departs the sewers,after informing the priests of the timeframe, taking his usual precautions. As it is still relatively early, having caught the morning shift on the boats, he does one of his usual/unusual runs procuring different outfits and replenishing the supplies of his various potions, substances and tools.

He also stops by Hagans store and purchases a crystal that will allow him to do some reformations...

Spoiler
    Show

Basically I shall do this after the blue goblin scene but I am thinking of the following...

I will be taking Leadership. But not for the 'abuse' of it but rather to start developing the idea that Ishmael has his own spy network... mostly I plan to work on the acolytes rather than the hencheman. For henchman I plan to try and find a form of spymaster/interogator/diviner type of person... this is because as the stakes get higher Ishmael realises his distinct lack of magical aptitude/ability to crack the tougher nuts and learn the things he need to know to protect himself...

I am asking you first cause you might be against the idea (or it might be too much work for you)...

Lastly, before heading towards the warehouse he gets himself a nice bath and sends a letter to Jezleen letting her know he is fine, thinking of her and soon will visit her. He uses the usual boy for this but this time also gives me a pouch with 100 gold.

"Kid, so far you have proven useful. Take this coin and spend it as you wish but dont go wild and get killed. Also I want you to find 6-7 of your friends that are the smartest, fastest and most cunning of the lot. I will soon ask you to bring them to me so we can have a chat on how the lot of you can benefit from our arrangement. You off course can lead them as I almost trust you by now..."
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that sounds great, but what were you thinking for a cohort?

You maneuver through the city silent as shadow as you continue your paranoid highly-merited cautious tactics.

The runs of to enthusiastically complete your errand.

"Thanks, sir!"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #933

Spoiler
    Show

I meant the cohort to be some kind of diviner/interrogator/spymaster...

I dont like to tailormake my cohort as its a bit abusive and means you end up making a second PC that compliments your primary 100% and that is very abusive... so if its not too much to ask I leave it to you so he/she can have the general benefits I want without being the exact fit for my flaws...

Ishmael smiles at the youthful enthusiasm. Kids delivering messages were a common sight in every major city. Getting those 'little birds' to work for him could prove ideal...

Without more delay he heads over to the location provided by the Shadow Spider and taking precaution to not attract attention he methodically explores the surrounding area to get to know where it will all go down.

He leaves approaching the warehouse itself for last, not wanting to betray his presence to those able to see him despite his usual precautions.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, feel free to seek out and rp acquiring a cohort, and I'll throw together a build of some sort. Probably some sort of early-entry arcane trickster from a diviner.

You scout out the warehouse and notice that it is well-picked for an ambush. It seems to only have two doors, a large pair of double doors for hauling cargo and a small side door for personal entrances. The large doors are both barred from the inside and locked externally. Apparently, in order to open them, they have to be unlocked from the outside and then someone has to go in through the inside and unbar the door using the side entrance. There are no windows and both doors are made of steel. Whatever this warehouse had been built to store, its owner had been cautious about people breaking in.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #935

As the defenses he has planned for tonight, dimensional anchor, antimagic field and the like, Ishmael walks up to the door, takes a look through the keyhole and teleports inside using his cloak.

He is off course invisible and hidden as he does so and has applied a fresh disguise and fresh set of clothes.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

You don't see anything through the keyhole, and all is deathly quiet when you enter with a gentle swish of displaced air. In fact, it's far TOO quiet, good evidence that your allies are already present.

7. - Top - End - #937

Ishmael does not make his presence known. If his comrades were indeed there they would know better than to break cover even for a moment and he would also not risk it.

Instead he takes his time checking out the place from the inside and finding good hiding spots while maintaining his magical and natural invisibility... He takes special care to spot areas where natural shadow can give him an edge given that his own invisibility ring wont help in the antimagic field. He makes sure he has ways to sneak up to his targets but also to retreat from them in case something goes wrong.

When he is confident he can really do this he will change his disguise to that of a nasty looking tall dwarf brigand, using both hat but more importantly using his disguise kit to finalise the details as the hats magic will dissipate in the anti-magic field when it is employed. The idea is that dwarves are natural enemies of goblins and hence adding more to the cover story.

Lastly he will take out the blue goblin, tie it down, blind fold it and manacle it and prop it against a crate. He will then start pretending to interrogate it asking all the questions he really did ask. He will pretend to be baffled by the fact that he doesnt answer and hurt him a bit to draw blood.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

You find a nice little corner of the warehouse with piles of old, half-rotted boxes lying around causing a labyrinth of shadows within. Everything in place, you bring out the empty body of the blue goblin, and before you can even open your mouth to interrogate it, five more blue goblins that could each be the twin to the one you have met materialize in a circle around you.

It is at that moment that the trap is sprung and all manner of chaos breaks loose.

Spoiler
    Show
    disguise check, please.

oh, and while you're at it: Initiative time!

9. - Top - End - #939

Spoiler
    Show

Disguise: (1d20+20)[30] (10 of this is via hat... so at the start of the encounter, before the antimagic kicks in, it applies but then only the mundane part stays).

Initiative: (1d20+8)[14]

Ishmael is not flatfooted but is certainly surprised. The fact that the blues appear so quickly is unexpected. In a way it is to his benefit as they did not take the time to scry the area but probably just teleported in, in the fear that whoever had their comrade would throw him back in the extradimensional space. That also probably mean any muscle reinforcements wont be around for some time, giving him an edge!

Still not wanting to give the jig right away, in order to offer the precious few seconds needed by the skulk priests to put in place the antimagic and dimensional anchor abilities, he feints uncertainty and fear.

"Urf?!? What the darn bloody stinken hells!" he cries out in a gruff voice.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Just as the five begin casting in unison, there is a bloodcurdling shriek from each corner of the warehouse, the room blacks out, and the colors come back inverted. You can feel the presence of magic in the room bleed away as the pitch-black arcs of light connecting the five orange goblins vanish in an instant.

One of them cries out "It's a trap!" and the five draw forth two kukris, a staff, and three heavy picks. They do not approach you yet as they look around to gauge where the rest of the threat is coming from. They don't seem able to find it.

Spoiler
    Show
    your iniative.

11. - Top - End - #941

I wonder if access to you still works with all this magic draining and dimensional anchoring processes going on... projects Ishmael curious about the nature of his bond with the Cat.

Anyway, time to go to work as I havent gone for quite a while he thinks to himself and projecting it as well.

"Trap is such a strong word!" he says with a nasty grin.

Going back to his old techniques he drops a smokestick at his current spot and uses that and the surrounding darkness to hide.

He then moves behind the one with the quarterstaff but does not attack yet.

Spoiler
    Show

Basically I believe that Hide in Plain Sight doesnt work in Antimagic field as it also affects SU properties...

So going with the smokestick to create concealment trick and then hiding:

(1d20+28)[38] Hide
    (1d20+26)[43] MS

I do not take an action in order to have full attack next round with sneak...

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Our souls are still connected, but you cannot channel your hunger inside the power of this magic-eating field.

You drop a smokestick and disappear into the brightness. The orange goblins look around for you vainly.

13. - Top - End - #943

Spoiler
    Show

I assume its my turn again?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yes it is.

15. - Top - End - #945

Ishmael positions himself just behind the one with the two kukris judging someone that can expertly wield such exotic weapons to be a prime danger.

He then unleashes his chain in two deadly archs striking from the shadows and aiming at all the 'right' places.

Should his attack drop the blue goblin he then targets the one with the staff considering him the next most dangerous opponent.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+13)[17] - crit confirm (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage (2d4+5)[9] - crit damage (2d4+5)[7]
    Sneak Attack (5d6)[18]
    Activating (Swift) Alchemical Capsule Acid (1d6)[3]

Attack 2 (1d20+8)[12] - crit confirm (1d20+8)[9]
    Damage (2d4+5)[12] - crit damage (2d4+5)[11]
    Sneak Attack (5d6)[19]

And after the attacks I move 5 feet closer to threaten as many of them as possible (reach via chain) for AoO.

I have removed all bonuses from gear (+ due to dex and due to magic weapon)
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-01-07 at 03:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

You catch the orange goblin once, tearing into it. However, your other blow is dodged.

The five turn on you and surround you. However, despite their efforts, its is clear they are not truly melee combatants. The kukri-wielder is the closest, showing some finesse and training if no raw talent. However, you are able to dodge or catch on your armor every blow.

17. - Top - End - #947

Ishmael grins.

"Come now gentlemen. Your brother needs your help! Fight harder!" he says wanting to make sure his opponents dont get any ideas about trying to escape. He once more swings his chain towards the kukri wielding goblin and anyone else in its path and then moves, if possible, to occupy his position.

Spoiler
    Show

Small amendement - add another 12 damage to that guy. I forgot Craven feat (+1 damage per level to sneak attacks).

I then do two attacks (full attack) against him or the closest target in case he drops. Then moving 5 feet to occupy his spot and still on guard for AoO I may be able to take due to movement/potion drinking etc.

Attack 1
    (1d20+13)[26] - crit confirm (1d20+13)[14]
    damage (2d4+5)[12] - crit damage (2d4+5)[8]

(1d20+8)[20] - crit confirm (1d20+8)[16]
    damage (2d4+5)[10] - crit damage (2d4+5)[9]

Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-01-07 at 03:40 AM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    the extra 12 is noted.

Your next blow downs the injured one and injures another.

Then, appearing as if by magic are five pure white skulks with bright green blades, who appear suddenly out of the brightness and deliver killing blows to three of the ones remaining, while the fourth is taken live.

When the last one has lost consciousness, the colors return to normal, and the five Ebon Assassins nod to you, their peer.

"Excellent work as the decoy. Kept them good and distracted long enough for us to study them. As a fellow Follower of the Trade, I'm sure you understand." the one in the center says in undercommon.

19. - Top - End - #949

Ishmael nods truly not bothered. It was indeed what he would also have done and from the start he had indicated he was willing to be the bait.

"Certainly brother. I would expect nothing less! Plus they would be unable to hurt me without their magic or whatever it is they employ!" he says proudly.

"But I have not seen you before... or those peculiar blades of yours? May I inquire as to what they are?" he continues.

"Oh and dont misjudge this... its for personal reasons..." he says as he stops the bleeding of the two goblins he downed checking if they are still alive.

This ones will be for you... he projects to the Cat.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

"We are the Ebon Order of Assassins. Our order dates back to the ancient history when the Spider Clan first was formed. We are the final blades in the dark. No magic can stay us from our targets. When the Shadow Spider united the two clans, we continued to serve as we always have."

At the mention of the two you kept alive, he says, "But naturally, Devourer. Your prey is your prerogative. Feed well."

Spoiler
    Show
    you don't happen to recall the effects from having eaten the soul of that first blue goblin, do you?

21. - Top - End - #951

Spoiler
    Show

Not of the top of my mind. I will check back in the thread and let you know. I wont consume them just yet.

"Interesting." says Ishmael simply.

"Now I assume you kept one alive for interrogation? I would like to be present... if soon we will be dealing with the Khan I would like to know more about his abilities and defences..." he tells them.

Meanwhile he gives a severed beating to the two goblins to make sure they dont wake up and then places them in his portable hole remembering to open it every now and then.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

"The Shadow Spider has given you clearance to witness, but you may not interfere with the interrogation until we release the subject to questions from the dignitaries."

23. - Top - End - #953

Ishmael nods.

"Dignitaries?" he asks.

"In any case, we have some work to do before we move ahead. Need to cover some of our bases..." he says and goes to work.

He spends some time ensuring no signs of himself or the 5 blue goblins are present. He even scrubs their blood and uses acid in the area and sufficient scentbreakers.

He then drops some hair from the dwarf disguise kit on the floor and walks up to the soulless goblin he had used as lure.

He slits the throat and brutalises the body. Using the blood (on a knife not on his fingers) he writes.

"Dwarves never forget!"

and under it

"IX"

"This should be weird enough... they will find no signs of the 5 but will find the one the 5 were looking for..."

He then once more makes sure he has left nothing but what he wants back and departs with the other skulks. A long way from the warehouse he will stop to destroy his outfit and the disguise kit he had employed using acid, scentbreakers and alchemist fire as necessary and change to a new one.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

"You are not a member of our order, though your skills are comparable. You have, however, been invited by the leader of our clan to attend the session if you so desire. Thus, you are a dignitary among the Shadow Spider's agents."

Once again, Ishmael the serial killer successfully polices the scene of his crime.

25. - Top - End - #955

After all his preparations he heads out with the ebon skulks to listen to the interogation.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    weren't you going to devour the two blue goblins?

27. - Top - End - #957

Spoiler
    Show

Well I was planning to do it a bit later when Ishmael has a chance to be on his own... plus the interogation might uncover something that would make it worth his while to keep them for later or for further questioning.

Lastly I was thinking that a psion could be a great Cohort with all the divination/interrogation needs I have... perhaps if Ishmael can somehow bind one of the two goblins to his will or something... have not thought it through, just giving it as an idea!

Regardless, I went back to the last thread to see what had happened when I ate the other one. Well... nothing... cause it was doing astral projection so the Cat ate it for itself and I didnt get any of the 'points' hence I did not unlock any powers etc... It told me it was because it doesnt get as much of a soul consumed that way and via 'refining' through me.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ah, that's right, the soul was consumed outside the body by the Devourer itself. Think of yourself as a lens that focuses it and increases efficiency.

if you want a psion cohort, you have MUCH better options for recruitment than one of these blue goblins. They have some undiscovered backstory for why they're not really interested in working for you AT ALL.

That reminds me, there was a possible candidate for Ishmael's cohort I meant to introduce to you once the blue goblin arc was tied up.

oh, also, I had meant to give the impression that they will be torturing it overnight to break it and you're invited to witness the formal interrogation ceremony the next day.

29. - Top - End - #959

Spoiler
    Show

Okie dokie!

In that case I will wait till after this part finishes :D

Ishmael realises it may take some time until they manage to break the goblin and hence he retreats to another part of the sewers to perform the gruesome act.

He searches the two goblins taking anything of value and then places the first one on the ground. He makes a small cut on its hand and tries to drain the soul.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

You find an assortment of crystals of various shapes and sizes, along with two filmy skins that roll up into a ball when you take them off the goblins. In all, you'd say 3 large crystals, five smaller ones, and about a dozen tiny ones. You assume they have power of some sort, since you know of no crystals that glow on their own.

You devour the soul of the first goblin, and your mind is awash in the memories of man who lived his life with his quintuplet brothers, earning a place for themselves in the world with the power of their combined minds. You see the five working together to take down dragons and tear apart the earth. In hindsight, you are very grateful that they were already one down, ill-prepared, and in an antimagic zone. If that hadn't been the case, they would have been a lot harder to defeat.

Just as the recollection stops, you sense an energy course through your body and depart you that feels blue. You don't totally understand how that could be, but the sensation you get defies any other description you can fathom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    35 soul energy.