New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1334

Thread: Ishmael Mk III

1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ishmael Mk III

In the arena office, you find a pair of hobgoblins apparently tending to late night cleaning while gossiping. With just a typical (take 10) effort, you are easily able to approach close enough for even your dull ears to pick up the conversation.

"Hey, Krusk, you hear how the Watch has gotten in a tizzy lately?"
    "Yeah, apparently there's some skulk who's controlling a duchess in the city they're trying to find."
    "Yeah, and the yuan-ti didn't ever come back from negotiating with the Big Boss."
    "Really? When did he leave, three nights ago?"
    "Yeah. It's weird."
    "Yeah."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Deciding its time to do some reckon on this... 'guard' Ishmael leaves the room, takes on the appearance of a young but tired looking half-elf dressed in a young 'Extracity Guard' joiner clothes. He spends some time to do a physical disguise along with the magical one and then walks into the room with those two again.

"Excuse... me... I seem to have gotten lost..."
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh?" one says, the other lets his buddy handle things while he continues his work.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #1114

"I... I am a new joiner... the strange guy with the talking skeleton friend recruited me out in the slums and told me to report here but I dont know to who and where exactly... is he or any lieutenant here?" he asks timidly.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

"Wrong building. Not surprised the Boss forgot to tell you where to go. You know the building where you signed up and got your uniform? That's the one. That old warpriest is handling night duty tonight. You'll find him there."

6. - Top - End - #1116

The half elf nods and mutters a thanks before leaving.

He had little beef with this Extracity watch but if the rumors of how far they had gotten was true it was time to ensure his identity remained hidden by doing some infiltration of his own.

At first after leaving sight of the two guards he was invisible and searches the necromancers office, having been there before, for any important documents, books, accounts or ledgers or just plain stash of cash and magic items they might keep in the arena.

He then will head to where the hobgoblin said the guard HQ is.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-03-17 at 02:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

You manage to loot (3d12)[21] gold from his office by picking up random stacks of coins. Beyond that, it will be a search check to locate things of value.

8. - Top - End - #1118

Spoiler
    Show

First of all I realised that since the time I actually levelled I did not update the character!

Going for 1 more level of assassin so here goes HP (1d6)[5]

Also as feat for level 12, I get Leadership as discussed previously.

Can you also remind me how many XP per level you go back do you need when you do a psychic reformation? I had gotten the stone from Hagan but never got around to using it...

And I believe on 12th level I also get +1 attribute which I will give to intelligence!

Ishmael does not actually take the 21 gold not wanting to leave signs of pilfering and considering that for 21 gold its not worth the risk... for thousands it might have been but for just petty cash not really.

He then focuses on actually searching quickly and efficiently.

(1d20+13)[24]
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-03-18 at 05:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

You find a folder labeled "Devourer" inside of a drawer. As for valuables, you happen upon a locked strongbox about 1' square that is filled with something heavy. It is labeled "Reagents".

10. - Top - End - #1120

Ishmael checks the folder to see what info they have on... well... on him.

He then takes 2 minutes checking the box for traps (take 20 for 33 total). If he finds no traps he tries to open it (open locks: (1d20+26)[30]) using his best tools. If that fails he uses knock from the lockpicking ring to do so.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

It would appear that they've actually found out a fair bit about the Devourer... and there are a few notes about you in there too. Apparently, this folder is for information on the trans-planar creature empowering you more than it is about you its host.

However, it does have a few notes about you:

You are a skulk.

You have killed multiple ranking hobgoblins and are noted as a serial killer.

You do not live in the sewers but rather in the town itself. Specific location unknown, but Midtown likely.

There is an Ishmael who serves as the Marqued Agent for House Hordukka. It is highly assumed to be you.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Ishmael frowns.

This was a lot of information. They didnt have specifics but they had enough to make his life difficult. He would have to clean out his room in Midtown and warn the Duchess.

Or he could fake his death and go underground...

He growled annoyed at this wondering how they had gotten this much on him. Could there be a traitor skulk that had spilled the beans on him? He had overextended himself and become complacent. This had to change...

He leaves the papers at the spot he found them ensuring his tampering has not left tracks. To take this file would indicate he had been here... he would instead have to spread rumors contradicting those they had found.

After ensuring no trace of him is left here Ishmael departs heading to the Extra-City HQ... he had to at least ensure they did not have the resources to stop him...

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    as you enter the watch hq, I need a spot and listen check.

I assume you hide as ususal?

14. - Top - End - #1124

Spoiler
    Show

Yep.

As per my original post of a quick search and then going to find the priest.

Basically I am hidden, invisible AND have a mundane and magical disguise of a half-elf Extra-City guardsman recruit.

Spot: (1d20)[20]
    Listen: (1d20-4)[7]

Nat 20! Go spotting Ishmael!
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-04-02 at 03:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    duly noted. Results pending some checks from some other pc.

16. - Top - End - #1126

Spoiler
    Show

Oh? I wonder if managed to fall on Hustlers PC or if he has recruited other PCs in the extra-city guard...

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

You notice a blue-tattoed hobgoblin followed by a silent skeleton enter the room while you are searching the place. You instantly melt into the shadows. You don't believe he noticed you.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Ishmael is surprised but does not let this stop him. He is uncertain but the pet skeleton is a clear indication that this is Wilstaff. He had after all met him once some time ago in his arena before... before all this unpleasantness happened.

He entertains the idea of stepping forth and quickly killing the hobgoblin. He dismisses the idea as too easy. Plus this hobgoblin had not done anything directly to him and his vengeance for the murder of the skulk innocents had been sated by the attacks on the leadership... and off course the soon to be dead Khan.

The idea sparkles in his mind like a bright star. To follow and learn more of the Hobgoblin, who according to the rumors his children had collected was a rising star in the Blue Hand Clanners, could lead him to more easily dispatching the Khan.

Ishmael smiles to himself but does not let his guard down. He stays hidden, his magic and his actual ability to hide protecting him, and follows around to see exactly what the Hobgoblin does, who he talks to etc. He tries to remember his mannerisms and movements, though impersonating him without the skeleton might be hard. He is very interested in what information he might glean about the Extra City Watch, the Blue Hands and the info they have on him...

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

The necromancer calls to the scribes to begin copying a set of papers he hands to them while calling for all the Watchmen currently in the building together to explain an apparently sudden bolstering of their ranks, and newfound information about you.

A man dressed in officer's garb with a holy symbol of Kord around his neck walks up while the hobgoblin is going through all this and says, "Productive day, boss?"

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorta. Progress with the Devourer's maniacal little whipping boy, but haven't found the Yuan-Ti yet. Wanted to get this dossier out to the right people, then try to deal with the kobolds." the necromancer responds.

"Need backup when you deal with the kobolds? This desk work is killing me. I'd love a chance to go flex my muscles." the priest asks.

21. - Top - End - #1131

Interesting. The kobolds had come through with their end of the bargain. Perhaps warning them would strengthen the alliance if the necromancer planned to knock on their door.

Still the dossier and the bolstering of ranks was a peculiar event. Where did a shabby hobgoblin get such manpower and such a document?

It mattered little. What he wondered is if he had already read the whole thing or if he had just brought it here first.

Ishmael leaves the necromancer while he speaks with his men and his pet kordite priest and goes to the room where the scribes are located.

Spoiler
    Show

How many are the scribes and where is the dossier?

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

From what you can tell, most of his Watch consists of thugs off the street he's put in a uniform and kept in line by a combination of threats and incentives.

You slip through to the next room over, where a half-elf, a gnome, and a hobgoblin are sitting at desks each copying a different portion of the dossier. The desks are in a line along the far wall, about 3 feet apart and 4 feet wide. They seem to get along well and are chatting while they work.

"Why the hells does our boss want multiple copies of how some duchess grew up?" the hob asks.

"Dunno, makes as much sense as wanting to know about her periods of drooling and ranting while bat**** insane." the half-elf adds.

"I think what he's after is the part about her recent rise back to power. Didn't think the boss was ambitious enough to want to tangle with a duchess, but if he is wanting to deal with her, it makes sense he'd like all three of us to work on making copies of this. He'll want to make sure the duchess' agents aren't able to make 'accidents' happen to this before he's had a chance to read it."

23. - Top - End - #1133

Ishmael frowns. Not only was this too dangerous but also... a gnome. That was peculiar and Kelemvor knew who the necromancer was working with...

Foolish hobgoblin had not spent the time to 'own' the information before giving it forward. This could not be allowed to go on even if it would blow his cover. The documents had to be destroyed or at least taken and he had to find from where did they originate.

Ishmael looks around the room wondering if he will be able to pull this off without breaking his cover. He was stealthy but he didnt have the most... sneaky fingers. He had to do it the hard way... his loyalty to the Duchess demanded it.

He tries to find a spot where he will be able to attack all 3 targets but first he puts his plan in motion. Hidden and invisible he consumes one of his potions of heroism... he would need all the help he could get. He follows it up with a potion of glibness. Funny how the provisions he had taken from the Jacks so long ago came in handy right now... He proceeds to use his hat to change his appearance to the hobgoblin scribe and then closes his eyes for a second. A quick prayer to Kelemvor...

He focuses his attention to the hobgoblin until he can monitor the breathing and ways of the creature and then draws a wand and waits for a particular moment when the 3 scribes are not speaking. He uses it covering the area in a preternatural silence and aims it on the floor before him so they dont get a chance to break the spell...

Spoiler
    Show

Basically after 3 rounds of observing the hobgoblin I use my wand of silence casting it in the area rather on one of them (at a moment they are not talking so they dont notice right away).

UMD DC 20 (need a 3 and above thanks to Heroism) (1d20+17)[37]

I then plan to surprise attack if I can but I will wait for the result of this...

Can you else tell me what armor/weapons these guys have and if I indeed can hit all 3 from one spot (10 feet range due to chain)

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

You smoothly cast the silence spell while the three are busy transcribing the documents. Since the gnome and the half-elf are only 14 feet apart from outside edge to outside edge with the hobgoblin in the middle, it would not be difficult to strike all three in one blow. Strangely enough, the three scribes seem to be armored only in simple robes with tight sleeves and loose torsos while armed only with duckfeather quills.

25. - Top - End - #1135

Ishmael does not waste time. The three scribes could notice the effect at any moment and he needed to ensure those documents were gone.

He activates his bracers of blinding speed and lashes out against them. He focuses first on the hobgoblin, if he manages to stun him he then moves on to the gnome and if that attack also drops his opponent he attacks the half-elf with his last blow.

Spoiler
    Show

Ok here goes... all attacks are for subdual via ruthless beating.

Attack 1 is also paralysing attack via death attack... DC 20 Fort save or be paralysed for (1d6)[5] rounds.

Bonus +2 due to heroism and +2 for attacking flatfooted via murder gloves

(1d20+19)[34] - crit confirm (1d20+19)[20]
    damage (2d4+9)[15] - crit damage (2d4+9)[15]
    Sneak attack (10d6)[4][2][6][1][6][4][3][2][1][3](32) (first 5 non 1s)
    +12 from craven
    Total: 49

(1d20+19)[34] - crit confirm (1d20+19)[20]
    damage (2d4+9)[16] - crit damage (2d4+9)[16]
    Sneak attack (10d6)[6][3][1][1][4][5][5][4][4][3](36) (first 5 non 1s)
    +12 from craven
    Total: 51

(1d20+14)[25] - crit confirm (1d20+14)[25]
    damage (2d4+9)[17] - crit damage (2d4+9)[14]
    Sneak attack (10d6)[1][3][4][6][6][6][2][1][3][1](33) (first 5 non 1s)
    +12 from craven
    (and if against the half elf also an additional +1 to hit, +1 to damage and +(2d6)[2] from fiercebane since he counts also as human)
    Total: 54 (57 if its the half elf)

And because I assume this will be needed... initiative: (1d20+8)[25]

Last edited by Monodominant; 2013-04-09 at 01:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    the init is superfluous.

You down each of them in single, silent blows. They fall over silently, the half-elf spilling his ink jar on the way down.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Ishmael moves quickly as he does not know how soon someone may return here.

He goes invisible again and then collects all documents regarding him and the Duchess the original file carried as well as any copies the scribes had managed to make in this time.

When he is done, and if noone has come in, he quickly scans the room for any traces he has left, removes them and then drops a scentbreaker.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

Just as you have gathered up the last of the original files, one of the guards walks in with an arm full of inwells and quills and shouts an alarm at the sight.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Cursing loudly, or rather without sound since he is still within the silence effect, Ishmael looks for any windows or other exits.

He could kill the guard but its too late. Someone is bound to have heard him and good as he is at hiding he doesnt know what powers the necromancer and his cleric have.

All the more imperative that he leaves now and without being traced. He does drop the scentbreaker on the ground, glad to have collected all papers before he had to do this. The ammonia should cover all traces of his smell in case they have dogs and his dark stalker talents should help him against other such abilities.

Focusing and still invisible he moves close to the door but stands right next to it. He stays hidden and unmoving waiting for the inevitable rush of people in and out this room.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

There is indeed a window in the room, though it is shut and locked at the moment. Still, it appears that you would be able to break through it easily, as it is not reinforced.

You drop the scentbreaker and the smell of ammonia fills the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    kinda have to wait on Hustlertwo's response before resolving anything else.