New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Southern Comfort IC

The night breaks up. The Half-Ogre that I really wish I had just made a Bugbear (because Bugbears are underused. And are in the SRD, whereas I have no idea really what Half-Ogres are even like.) hands out the cash from sales, and then, in an awkwardly military fashion, leads you all to some rather nice sleeping arrangements.

In the deep of the night; Horbin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Dude, wake up" says a voice in your ear. It crackles and flames. "It took a lot of effort to pull the little wench in our direction, and my Cleric choked, so I guess it's up to you." The voice fumes for a few minutes. "Don't try to move. This is sleep paralysis, or so Frigga calls it. Thank some other power you sleep with your eyes open. I could make arrangements the other way, but I'm scared they'll notice. Not them. Who they serve. They can get in here. I'm Loki, by the way."

They can get in here, and the Destroyer, old One-Eye, he doesn't do anything. He kids me that it's all a game, and that they're friendly, which they are, but deep down, I can tell, he's frightened of them as well. It has something to do with the deal that they're all exalted mortals rather than actual gods, and so count as some sort of Uber-Einhenjar. And as such, get sort of a back door into Valhalla. Whatever. I'm an Exemplar of Chaos, not a lawyer, but I can tell when a bunch of people turn up that scare the crap out of me that things are not right."

Anyway, Loki-Skywalker, the bringer of flame is talking. And talking too much. You need to watch. And listen."

The night is dark, Lotus is dressing. Her trousers are already on. She rejects the white blouse and pulls on a short leather jacket. This leaves her, with her reddish hair disheveled by her previous activities, looking rather eighties, if you had the frame of reference to appreciate the comparison.

And then she suddenly stops. "How long have you been there?"

A set of shadows and angles in the corner moves and shifts, treads forwards silently, and resolves into the shape of Astra Vaultspear. ""A couple of hours. You are most dexterous.

"I know, it never seems to make any difference. So, it's settled then? We have to go?"

"Three of us was a gamble. Four of us are lost. Bethlen was gambling on us already being gone when she led those people here. We have let her down. Quattro Vierzehn is already hitting the books to find out what we are. He's not stupid. It will not take him long."

2. - Top - End - #542

Horbin again:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a noise at the door at that point. Astra draws her Falchion and Lotus pulls a nimbus of crackling sparks around her fist, and then the door opens to reveal Brunswick Aleksandr, looking a little unsteady on his feet. Both people relax.

"Weren't you supposed to be keeping Vierzehn occupied? And wasn't that supposed to be done by now?"

"Did my best, but he invited the Tiefling woman as well. And she really, really wanted to be the meat in a sandwich. Well, she got what she wanted. In the end. "

Lotus and Astra both look carefully blank. " OK, So, does anyone else care to ruin the privacy of my bedroom?"

Enter Bethlen. At the open door. "The Issue we spoke of previously? Confirmed."

"Which one?"

"The Orc"

"Pay up, guys" Astra and Brunswick both hand over some silvers. Then Lotus goes nuts. "You bitch! You mother! This will be what, your second? And you mainly go with girls. Me, I've been getting banged against walls since I was old enough to bleed and not a twitch! It's not fair! But I'm happy for you all the same" She gives Bethlen a hug. "Name it for me, will you?"

"What if it's a boy?"

Astra moves forwards. "This will mess up your tour, Bethlen, it will put you behind. You might as well have level adjustment."

"Let it. I have three months at least. I'll show what I can do in that time. And afterwards."

"Well then, I can't fault your choice" and then Astra grabs Bethlen by the ponytail and kisses her hard on the mouth. Bethlen's eyes open full and Lotus and Brunswick look stunned. "Hmmm. Salty. Not unpleasant. Come, you we must move"

The four of them move out through the torchlit doorway. Loki's voice cracles in your ear: "Oh, dude, I'm really sorry. They didn't say anything interesting at all!"

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If possible in thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    "What, what do you mean nothing interesting?! You truly are mad. This is a level of sinister that I couldn't see. I must tell the others. Wait, why did you care to show me this?"
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

4. - Top - End - #544

Spoiler
    Show
    "What? I'm frightened, dude. Have you met the Starlight Destroyer? Well, no, obviously, since you're still clinging to your component molecules. Well, I have to put up with her turning up unexpectedly and smiling at me and being pleasant. And she's the Thor of the bunch. The rest are more dangerous because I have no idea what they'll do

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    "So what you are saying is these people are the lackies of the Starlight Destroyer? Isn't that something. Well how are we supposed to stop anything, we are rookies at best and mere mortals, as far as I know. Though Grath may be surprised to find himself a father, course that is if he is the orc she spoke of."
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Gregor sells stuff, buys some supplies (buckler, knife, some food, ink, pen and some parchament), spends some time calculating each one's share of the loot, marking his calculations on a sheet of parchament, and dividing the money according to his calculations. Then he spends most of the rest of his share to buy a wand to heal wounds, checks the dogs and goes to sleep.

7. - Top - End - #547

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh Me, you don't get it, dude. None of them are the lackeys of anyone. And the Destroyer has no Lackeys. Only friends and people she hasn't met yet. Do you understand why she scares me?

Technically, Two of them serve the Bringer of Silence, and one, who is strongest in her faith, the Burning General. And IF I can be relied on to tell you what these people are like, they're people who like the Destroyer, who would follow her into oblivion, Fight alongside her against anything in Hell, and slap her in the face if she acted stupid. And cheerfully incinerate anything that stood between them.The little one, Lotus, is something of an Atheist by their standards."

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    "Interesting. Looks like they may need to be dealt with, maybe we can use this trip as a way to thin their ranks. I personally do not want to see oblivion if I can help it. Aside from listening, is there anything you 'need' from me?"
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

9. - Top - End - #549

Spoiler
    Show
    "Knowing what you know, you're going to eliminate Bethlen Gabriel? That IS cold. Are you sure it will work? And not say, turn these people into determined personal enemies? Not to mention, you've never asked what her amulet does."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    "Bethlen I may keep around if the rest of my companions agree, but an honest answer to her intent is going to be needed. As to the others, if they seek the end then I will seek theirs."
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

11. - Top - End - #551

Spoiler
    Show
    "What precisely is it that you think they seek? Because I can tell you right now that all but Bethlen have passed out of your reach, trusting on your faith and honour, as they do."

I am Loki, and yet I wish you to tell me what it is you think. For, truthfully, I am confused. And I don't like to be confused when the potential cost includes getting a +50 Vorpal Scythe of Deicide waved in my face by somebody who knows how to use it."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath follows Gregor to sell some of his own items and replenish some supplies and miscellaneous goods. (Details to follow, nothing illegal, I think) He verifies his accounts and settles up with the others.

After a short stint in a tavern for a some ale that all growing orcs need, he then returns to his room and tries to get some sleep, with a strange forboding that others are having an interesting evening.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    "A god with fear, a good thing I guess. The others can be found. My reach is not the only thing that can be used as I can just tell Captain Vierzehn that they are planning some plot against his kingdom and see if they can be stopped. Looks like trusting has gone out the window as of now.
    I will have to talk with the group and let them know everything. Of course there is only one who may really believe this. I have never tried but if I were, would a prayer befall deaf ears in your direction? I may seek wisdom or guidance in the future and you seem to have looked in my direction."
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

After Dardiana had made sure that the items were sold and all that, she headed off, to see if there was a library in this castle. If there is, she looked through the books about the region they were headed to and about magic in general. After that, she returned to her room (or shared room, whichever) and proceeded to sleep, maybe right off the bat, maybe after some other activities.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555

Horbin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't know what they're planning, or against who. I'm a diety of fire, cunning, and trickery, and those that are their masters simply confuse me. Do as you will; you heard what they said. And what they didn't say. I'd be wary though, of claiming to know what you don't know for sure."And then, suddenly, he's gone.

Dardiana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a library. Quite a large one. It is in the basement and contains a certain Astra Vaultspear and Brunswick Aleksandr. Brunswick appears to be doing gofer duties for Astra.

They nod at your entrance, but say nothing. Astra seems mostly lost in the books, and older items, before her. Now and then she puts out a finger to draw Bruswick attention to a passage. He scribbles in a small red book.

After a couple of hours, they replace the books they are using, and head back upstairs.

Everyone gets their own room, it would seem. Including Horbin, although he's busy somewhere else. All the rooms given to the party lead off from a medium sized, simply furnished private dining area.

((And not to cause more confusion than I intend, but Horbin hasn't "had" his fun yet, from the point of view of anyone else. Any other business before we cut to "NEXT MORNING"?))

16. - Top - End - #556
    Barbarian in the Playground

If nothing else comes up, Thorwald will get slightly drunk in the mess hall with whoever stays there, or alone. Then retire for a good night's sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Fimble Doublebat Scrimnoodle - Gnome Paladin
    Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

17. - Top - End - #557

Thorwalt: Sho---So why are you called "Anonymoush Trooper Number Sheventeen" anyway?

Him: My mother named me after my father.

Thorwalt: ....what?

Him: She never wash any good at remembering namesh.

18. - Top - End - #558

Dardiana (and thanks for the clarification)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You discover some details about the local geography. The capital of Ashdown, Alnwick, is two days to the north of here. Upriver, the border with the Caroline is three days away to the south of the river, and a no-man's land to the north. Ethandun is a cityport a day's travel downriver. Ashdown's major civilised neighbours appear to be The March of the Caroline to the east (regarded as backward and savage, though still "civilised"), The Duchy of Kaulune to the north-west (coastal, wealthy, sophisticated and dangerous), and the Republic of Queichau to the north (regarded as pleasant, parochial, and a little inclined to vampirism).

After Astra and Brunswick have left, you discover a piece of paper close-written in dense, precise handwriting. Apparently, it was blown off the table while Astra was packing up her books.

It reads;

" Bethlen;

"The location on the map is listed in our directories as Reserve Installation 1197X. It was built as a military facility during the War against the Abberancy, I think, by agents of the Crimson Iron Rider. After the Abberancy was sealed beneath Yamighul, it became a private residence, but was rendered structural unsafe by The Destroyers geography-altering moment of rage during the War of the Sage's Treason. It was abandoned, and defended and preserved according to the traditions of the time.

"I hardly need to say that if the active and passive defenses appropriate to a location of this vintage remain in force and operational, it is very likely you will not return. I will not do you the disrespect that you would not do me and attempt to dissuade you. Please know, as you must know already, that should the worst happen we will see to the welfare of your son, and see that he grows up lacking for nothing, and knowing who you were.

"There are many that could have shut down the defenses from afar and allowed this "Ajneguhs" to occupy it, but who would do so and for what reason is a mystery to me. This man is very foolish, to dwell in such a place. His very life is hostage to the whim of his backer.

"Please return safely, you will know where to find us, and then we will know what must be done.

[signed]

Astra Vaultspear, of Sickelein. Kissed by War."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

At Library:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After understanding the local geography more, Dardiana shut the books and went to leave the library, only then finding a piece of paper on the ground. She picked it up and skimmed it, getting the gist that Bethlen and Astra, and possibly Brunswick, have been hiding something. She sees if she can get paper and ink somewhere in the library and, if she can, copies the note down and throws it back on the ground, in a condition similar to what she found it in. If not, she pockets the note.

Either end result, she now has paper in her pocket. She tries to remember the look of the books that they were using and looks around where she saw them replace the books for them.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560

Dardiana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Based on where they replaced their books, they appear to have been studying locations in the general area (Ashdown, Redside, and surrounding policities) that have a mysterious or haunted reputation. Oh, and cookery.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

@Library:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dardiana left the library after jotting down the locations or trying to memorize them, heading to sleep. She'd tell the others on the morrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562

"Thatsh... Thatsh. That'th. That'S! the most beautifullll thing I've ever heard, Anonymoush Trooper Number Sheventeen. Sho many *hic* people, go thwough life without seein' *burp* th' beauty of chaosh.
    Ya kno' how much pwoba- probi- beeli... CHANCE! it takesh to create such an unlikely pai*hic*ring? I'll, I'll tell you. A lot!

Anonymoush Trooper Number Sheventeen?! You're my best friend *burp*. In the wole. white. worl.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu." -Shamus Young

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

23. - Top - End - #563

Him: Thanksh. Shank you. Jussht keep your handsh where I can see them.

Dardiana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The books that seemed to hold their attention are titled "Stately Homes of Ashdown, Stories and Skeletons", "The Imperial Vampire, Customs and Etiquette", "Old Haunts: Places not to go when you're in Queichau", "Seven Dozen Scary Places", and "Cooking in a Hurry".

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

@Library:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dardiana jots down or remembers these names and then heads off, to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #565

"Haha, you're a fun-funny guy, Mr. shevensix. Sheven. I might not have to burn your faesh off at shome point after all. Heh *snicker*.
    Thorwald says a silent (ridiculously loud) prayer to Loki before hopping (dragging himself) to bed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thorwald Hunt
    Cron Ouursch

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Grath rises early in the morning, before the sun rises into the sky, even before the morning twilight. Weeks of solo travel instilled a strange discipline into the chaotic orc.

He walks the walls, looking out over the river. If possible, he walks to a dock, strips down into his loincloth, and takes a refreshing swim until just before the sun rises.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

27. - Top - End - #567

((Sorry Delphi, guess the excitement got to you))

There is a dock, it's on the river side of the fortress. Evidently the bridge of chains isn't the only way to get to the opposite bank. A peculiar sort of raft is laying at it, a strange apparatus of a cogwheel, a giantitic crank, and a cable that leads down into the water dominating its deck. Said cable runs throught the apparatus and is connected to a much more study-looking similar apparatus on the dock itself.

Swimming against the current to regain the dock is a bit of a struggle even for Grath, but he manages it

The dawn brings a bit of a stir to the courtyard. The Tiefling officer is getting two humans and a half-elf in order for a ride, and Kresta is standing by with her mules. Bethlen is leaning against a post of the stable, watching with hooded eyes.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Delphi spends some time outside, looking for smooth, round stones that may be appropriate for crafting into sling bullets. She enjoys the quiet after the long day and the combat, the conversation and flirting. It's peaceful outside, on the edge of both civilization and nature. It's a place that she belongs, here on the edge of things; a place not quite wild, and not quite tame. It's like her, in a way.

After relaxing in the dying light of day Delphi moves to the rooms set aside for her and her party; her companions, now, though not quite friends. Not yet, at least, though she had little doubt that friends is what they would become. She eventually found what she was looking for; the room of a certain bookworm and young woman that she had become rather fond of. Delphi settled her things into a corner, found an extra pillow, and curled up on the side of the bed, content and exhausted after a long day, and wanting nothing but gentle arms to carry her to sleep.

A little while later, they arrived, and the night passed swiftly into morning.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

29. - Top - End - #569

((Whoops! I've gone and started in the courtyard while your're all still have breakfast.))

Evidently, Ashdown is a believer in early morning trumpet fanfares, Thorwalt is particular has reason to regret this.

Breakfast is bread, beer, and cold ham. The group is ushered to the commander's table, as befits guests, while at least thirty grey-cloaked soldiers with a high porportion of composite longbows crowd the adjoining tables and irrespective of gender, talk about girls.

Vierzehn appears, nods to you politely, but seems distracted for some reason. He heads out to the courtyard with a thoughful look.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

After eating hastily and quietly Horbin will follow shortly behind Vierzehn.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri