New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #857 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Milgram and Stanford present pretty good cases that humans are irrational creatures easily led to perform monstrous acts by the right set of circumstances. If that makes most humans 'horrible monsters', then sure.

I'm not going to argue that Familicide wasn't a monstrously Evil act, or that it doesn't send V's alignment plummeting, but she's far from rock bottom.
    I really think those experiments are an entirely different beast and don't apply to this conversation, even though I probably come down on the same side as you. But both of those experiments were about obedience to authority, which is a specific situation where people follow because they trust the person giving them directions and therefore put aside their own intuition and morality.

V's problem was the opposite. (s)he had total freedom to act as (s)he pleased, got drunk with power, and stopped thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    Except, as I pointed out earlier, V was offered a method of saving her family without leasing her soul to the IFCC - and she refused to take it due to her pride.
    That method was terrible though. It relied on several unknowns, including the time it would take to soulbond the children, Aarindarious level of skill and (more importantly) availability, and V's ability to die, get revived and effectively relay a message (long-winded elf is long-winded).

I grant you, V didn't think about any of those things and certainly was proud when (s)he took the deal, but it was a deal that was correct to take even if (s)he had thought about it. I'm not even sure Kyrie was correct about giving up the power. Attacking Xykon was wrong, but using the magic to reunite the order, help the Azure city fleet and then giving it up probably would have been fine. And even attacking Xykon ended up freeing O-chul. V was in a bad situation, actually was given the option of personal sacrifice to help a lot of people, and blew it by making one stupid, revenge-driven mistake that obliterated any other good that may come of what (s)he did.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Back to the comic ... from a purely tactical standpoint, now would be a good time for Durkon to try a Sending to V. Nothing says "Successful Ambush Preparation" like a long-winded wizard, and I'd like to find out whether an X-Eyed Mummy can read Explosive Runes.
    nothing saids 10 minute cast time like sending

pretty sure the LG wont drag there feet THAT much

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I really think those experiments are an entirely different beast and don't apply to this conversation, even though I probably come down on the same side as you. But both of those experiments were about obedience to authority, which is a specific situation where people follow because they trust the person giving them directions and therefore put aside their own intuition and morality.

V's problem was the opposite. (s)he had total freedom to act as (s)he pleased, got drunk with power, and stopped thinking.
    Actually, that's exactly how I would interpret the prison experiment. The prison guards didn't commit abusive acts because they trusted the authority of the experimenters, they did it because they were given total control of other people.

I included the Milgram experiment for completeness.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    nothing saids 10 minute cast time like sending

pretty sure the LG wont drag there feet THAT much
    It is probable that Durkon still has that scroll of sending waiting for an emergency. Of course, he may not view this as an emergency... but that's a different question.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    It is probable that Durkon still has that scroll of sending waiting for an emergency. Of course, he may not view this as an emergency... but that's a different question.
    i think V is a little to crazy to respond right now anyway

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    ...what?
    I'll just repeat my previous advice here.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

When I saw the title of the last comic I thought of this.???
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The fact that the mummy just happened to quote Sabine in saying "Your fault" Was rib-cracking funny. But hey, this is the order of the stick we're talking about, what are the odds of that? like one in a million!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    As somebody remarked last thread, the less time you spend trying to analyze what that guy says, the happier you'll be.
    There's something fun about trying to make sense of it all.

Maybe I'm just a masochist.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I did NOT know that Sabine had rogue levels. Sigh I know, old info is old. Anyway, I'm liking Blackwing more and more. He's got a loooooooong way to go before V's any use again though.

11. - Top - End - #281

"Fleeing in a blind panic is only marginally better than moping."

If that were on a t-shirt, I would buy it.

12. - Top - End - #282

i think V is a little to crazy to respond right now anyway
    Possibly true, but Roy doesn't know that. All Roy knows is that his biggest gun is missing.

Currently the Order is out of contact with the enemy, and fleeing. I would suggest ducking into a side room, Stone Shaping the door into oblivion, and Sending out an urgent call. The party members other than Durkon can spend the time setting up an ambush or something.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Possibly true, but Roy doesn't know that. All Roy knows is that his biggest gun is missing.

Currently the Order is out of contact with the enemy, and fleeing. I would suggest ducking into a side room, Stone Shaping the door into oblivion, and Sending out an urgent call. The party members other than Durkon can spend the time setting up an ambush or something.
    there are so many variables we cant know that could or could not make it impossible that theres no point in discussing wether tehy send to V especially since we already know theres no point

14. - Top - End - #284

Maybe it has been said before, but once Xykon and Redcloak show up, and Tarquin and Malack find out that they are Nale's "contacts" about the rituals... Lets just say Tarquin will feel foolish for not having asked about the contacts. And Nale will really be in trouble.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'll just repeat my previous advice here.
    Be kind enough and tell me what that was, since I didn't read the whole thread and am too lazy to go looking back for it atm.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

As we see from their last words, either they are blaming V or Draketooths were not a big happy family and constantly bickering eachother.
    Edit: Nope, probably just zombie talk.
    Last edited by t209; 2012-06-29 at 07:37 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Be kind enough and tell me what that was, since I didn't read the whole thread and am too lazy to go looking back for it atm.
    You'll just get frustrated if you try to figure out what t209 is talking about.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    As we see from their last words, either they are blaming V or Draketooths were not a big happy family and constantly bickering eachother.
    Edit: Nope, probably just zombie talk.
    Everything a mummy Draketooth has said yet has been an echo of a couple words someone living had just said.

"Your fault" is part of what Nale just said to Sabine. That, and no other reason, is why the mummy who fell on Vaarsuvius said "Your fault" while falling.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-06-29 at 09:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Would be interesting if it said: Not your fault.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Would be interesting if it said: Not your fault.
    No it wouldn't. That's sort of the point.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

I've "been kind enough" to go back and find it. I consider it a public service announcement. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar
    As somebody remarked last thread, the less time you spend trying to analyze what that guy says, the happier you'll be.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

22. - Top - End - #292

there are so many variables we cant know that could or could not make it impossible that theres no point in discussing wether tehy send to V especially since we already know theres no point
    Wait. So what you're saying is that if you're running a party, and a party member is missing, then you decide there's no point in trying to contact that party member because the people reading the comic know something you don't know?

Also, let me point out that (casting time aside) the point to Roy telling V the tactical situation and inquiring as to V's location is obvious.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Also, let me point out that (casting time aside) the point to Roy telling V the tactical situation and inquiring as to V's location is obvious.
    A bit of nitpicking, but Roy wouldn't be doing either of those things. Apart from not being able to cast the spell, he has to supervise the setting-up of the ambush. Durkon could cast the spell but he apparently thinks he has better things to do. Elan hasn't got Sending on his spell list nor a decent UMD that we know of; besides, he'd probably screw it up. The person most likely to Send to V, if anyone thinks of doing so at all, would be Haley.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait. So what you're saying is that if you're running a party, and a party member is missing, then you decide there's no point in trying to contact that party member because the people reading the comic know something you don't know?

we dont know if Durkon has sending prepared
    we dont know if Durkon still has that sending scroll
    we dont know what job Durkon has in preparing the ambush
    we dont know what spell Durkon was refrencing and how long it would take to cast
    we dont know aside from that spell how many other spells hes going to cast
    we dont know aside from spells what preparations Durkon needs to do

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    A bit of nitpicking, but Roy wouldn't be doing either of those things. Apart from not being able to cast the spell....
    My friend, Roy is the unit commander. He would tell whoever can cast the spell to ask V certain things; that's the clear meaning of what I wrote.

we dont know if Durkon has sending prepared
    we dont know if Durkon still has that sending scroll
    we dont know what job Durkon has in preparing the ambush
    we dont know what spell Durkon was refrencing and how long it would take to cast
    we dont know aside from that spell how many other spells hes going to cast
    we dont know aside from spells what preparations Durkon needs to do
    NOW what you're saying is that We, the readers, don't know what Roy knows. That's true, and irrelevant.

Nothing that you two have written in any way disposes of the simple fact that Roy, the unit commander, is currently in a difficult situation and missing his heavy artillery (...not to mention friend...) and that therefore a very logical thing for him to do would be to contact said powerhouse (...through such intermediaries as is necessary...).

Sheesh! Is this really even debateable?
    Last edited by rewinn; 2012-06-30 at 12:36 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

NOW what you're saying is that We, the readers, don't know what Roy knows. That's true, and irrelevant.

Nothing that you two have written in any way disposes of the simple fact that Roy, the unit commander, is currently in a difficult situation and missing his heavy artillery (...not to mention friend...) and that therefore a very logical thing for him to do would be to contact said powerhouse (...through such intermediaries as is necessary...).

Here is what we do know though. Assuming no scroll, Sending takes 10 minutes to cast. Which they most likely don't have.
    If V is unconscious or dead, sending doesn't work. If V is on another plane, then there is no point to Send to V. If we operate under the assumption that V is invisible in the desert and wasn't ambushed, then yeah maybe a sending could help. But again, the 10 minute casting time figures into that. And if V were invisible in the desert, Roy trusts V enough to act as backup.

As Roy is operating under the assumption that V ran out of the desert instead of further into it, there is no point contacting V until the battle is over. Finding out how a friend takes lesser precedence than preparing the ambush where time is the factor.

So, no. Sending to V doesn't make much tactical sense.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

My friend, Roy is the unit commander. He would tell whoever can cast the spell to ask V certain things; that's the clear meaning of what I wrote.
    Roy being the commander means he has ten other things he needs to do, each requiring his immediate attention, several of them involving the supervision of zany and incompetant subordinates. Composing a Sending is not one of them.

Of course it is. First of all, Roy is under severe time pressure. He doesn't know how quickly the Guild will happen on the Order's position. He cannot afford to take time out from ambush preparations to compose a Sending, have it cast, have it delivered, and hear the response. This has been stated, by Roy himself, no less, in the comic. "We'll need to figure out later what happened to [Vaarsuvius]." Even if Roy did feel he could afford to contact V, he has no reason to believe V's in a position to help the rest of the party. That is, he doesn't know where V is, and since V lacks the ability to appear at Roy's side in a wink, he could be too far away or across too many barriers to make it to Roy in time to matter. Of course, Roy doesn't know this, but this is exactly the case. What's more, V just spent the only spell that might have obviated those barriers in order to flee in blind panic. Furthermore, an ambush presents a tactical problem where V is not only unnecessary, but possibly an active hindrance. Consider that Roy envisions engaging the Guild in a hit-and-run battle in close quarters. In such a situation, the large area of effect spells that are V's trademark would be just as likely to injure the Order as the Guild. More likely, in fact, given Tarquin's fire resistance or immunity, which, given V's incapacitation hitherto, the limitations of a Sending, and her not having seen the initial engagement, she would not be likely to know about. Not to mention that V isn't allowed to contribute in any meaningful fashion (yes, I'm being facetious, but this is practically my mantra ).

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Here is what we do know though. Assuming no scroll, Sending takes 10 minutes to cast. Which they most likely don't have.
    Haley had a scroll of Sending in strip 834, given to her by Durkon. We haven't seen it used. We cannot assume no scroll, though I agree that trying to Send to V is a poor tactical decision.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Roy being the commander means he has ten other things he needs to do, each requiring his immediate attention, several of them involving the supervision of zany and incompetant subordinates. Composing a Sending is not one of them.
    1. Speaking is a free action
    2. Roy doesn't have to compose a sending. Here's how it goes:
    Durkon/Haley, contact V. We need some passwalls fast!

Roy's team is zany but all of them are good at their job.

Now, the 10 minute casting time is an issue, as has been thoroughly noted above. That's why Roy needs to break contact with the enemy (done!), go to ground (in progress) and call in the heavy artillery.

There is no serious argument that V wouldn't be a major asset in the ongoing battle.
    Last edited by rewinn; 2012-06-30 at 12:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

1. Speaking is a free action
    2. Roy doesn't have to compose a sending. Here's how it goes:
    Durkon/Haley, contact V. We need some passwalls fast!
    Cause clearly Roy is aware of each and every spell Durkon and and Vaarsuvius have prepared for the day.

In other words, that's not likely. Party leaders don't dictate nor are told which spells the casters have prepared. Otherwise Durkon wouldn't have to tell Roy that Speak with Dead is an option.

Now, the 10 minute casting time is an issue, as has been thoroughly noted above. That's why Roy needs to break contact with the enemy (done!), go to ground (in progress) and call in the heavy artillery.

There is no serious argument that V wouldn't be a major asset in the ongoing battle.
    Though Roy has broken contact with the Linear Guild, he most likely does not have so large a head start. Even if he did, Sending to V when he suspects V could be on another plane or dead. So to him, it's useless/

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    "Fleeing in a blind panic is only marginally better than moping."

If that were on a t-shirt, I would buy it.
    That would be a good t-shirt.

I hope V gets it together soon. What do you think the chances of V coming clean to the rest of the party are in the near future? I mean, eventually the whole Famliacide story has to come out...