New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #857 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    No, we're really not. My initial post was probably poorly worded, but the point I was trying to make was that I thought we should give the dragon comic less weight because it was a scene that was only being played up for laughs, thereby excluding everything else. The inclusion of that one word probably would have saved us a couple of posts.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being pointlessly argumentative. We really do pretty much agree on this issue.
    It's not pointlessly argumentative. We eventually understood each other and came to a mutual conclusion. That's what argument is for at its finest.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

You two must be the wisest posters on the internet. Please teach the rest of the internet. Starting with this forum.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    You two must be the wisest posters on the internet. Please teach the rest of the internet. Starting with this forum.
    Honestly, it's not as bad as you make it sound. I often see reasonable users coming to mutual conclusions, or at the very least, narrowing down the argument to "we realize we agree on mostly everything, but disagree on this one core point, which is more or less a matter of opinion anyway (like deciding what weight should be assigned to a marginal piece of comic evidence, for example), so let's stop there."
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

4. - Top - End - #604

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Honestly, it's not as bad as you make it sound. I often see reasonable users coming to mutual conclusions, or at the very least, narrowing down the argument to "we realize we agree on mostly everything, but disagree on this one core point, which is more or less a matter of opinion anyway (like deciding what weight should be assigned to a marginal piece of comic evidence, for example), so let's stop there."
    Sometimes it seems that the structure of internet forums reward argumentation. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may explain why we seem to spend so much time disagreeing when, really, we mostly enjoy the comic and each other's company.

I theorize that a comment like "I really liked the punchline in the last panel" doesn't really offer much of a place to go for conversation, because there's not a lot in it to disagree on, and merely saying, "Yes, I agree" is not good conversation. Some people give detailed analysis of WHY they liked a particular strip, and I find that interesting, but again, not much room for conversation.

OTOH a comment like, "The Order should warn every power on the planet about the existential threat posed by Xykon" lead to a bit of argument, probably because there are a lot of things in it that people can disagree on and therefore make a long conversation.

I suppose the important thing to keep in mind that we argue because we enjoy interacting with each other. Other types of interacting encourage different ratios of cooperation and disagreement, e.g. wiki development, gaming.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Sometimes it seems that the structure of internet forums reward argumentation. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may explain why we seem to spend so much time disagreeing when, really, we mostly enjoy the comic and each other's company.
    Assume 100 people on a forum agree, but two people disagree about one abstruse side issue. After the points everyone agrees on have been made, that discussion is over.

But the two who disagree on a side issue keep talking. This is a feature, not a bug, as long as you remember that the goal is to consider other ideas than your own, and to let other people consider yours.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Sometimes it seems that the structure of internet forums reward argumentation.
    Actually, forums that score their posts don't have such problems. The trolls and morons fall to the bottom and the insightful posts float to the top. The problem is that chronological ordering of posts rewards the people who post the most often, even if they're just arguing pointlessly or trolling for reactions.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I wish I had something to talk about here.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Actually, forums that score their posts don't have such problems. The trolls and morons fall to the bottom and the insightful posts float to the top. The problem is that chronological ordering of posts rewards the people who post the most often, even if they're just arguing pointlessly or trolling for reactions.
    TBH i dont think those sort of forums are good for having discussion since posts move around so much its hard to really get a discussion going its really only effective to put your opinion

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    I wish I had something to talk about here.
    I especially liked the drawing of Blackwing in panel 7, with the wing arranged into a finger pointing for emphasis. Blackwing is showing real character growth balancing a practical attitude toward the problem at hand with an unsentimental analysis of V's past biggest mistake.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I love how Zz'ditri is pointing out the trap as its smashing the mummy into the pit. I imagine he's using a real sarcastic tone of voice, in as much as he uses different tones.

11. - Top - End - #611

Quote Originally Posted by arcticintel View Post
    I love how Zz'ditri is pointing out the trap as its smashing the mummy into the pit. I imagine he's using a real sarcastic tone of voice, in as much as he uses different tones.
    A sarcastic stage whisper carries extra sarcasm!

12. - Top - End - #612
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-07-26 at 10:57 PM.
    What gate?

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by Monation View Post
    3 weeks since last update. Wow.
    Patience young padawan. The Giant has the Kickstarter issues to deal with. We'll get an update soon.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monation View Post
    3 weeks since last update. Wow.
    Elan was put in charge of the "update schedule" after the Kickstarter fund. He has since decided to add several dramatic pauses to spice up the action.

But in all seriousness, just wait a little bit. The Giant is trying to make everyone happy, so it's taking a little while.

But look on the bright side! The longer we go without an update, the more intellectual the discussion gets!
    Last edited by Chessgeek; 2012-07-16 at 09:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by chessdudeguy View Post
    Elan was put in charge of the "update schedule" after the Kickstarter fund. He has since decided to add several dramatic pauses to spice up the action.

But in all seriousness, just wait a little bit. The Giant is trying to make everyone happy, so it's taking a little while.

But look on the bright side! The longer we go without an update, the more intellectual the discussion gets!
    Roy has boobies! *giggle*

16. - Top - End - #616
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sigh. And people thought the title of 854 was screwing with them...

*Harrumph* Yes, yes, Kickstarter and whatnot. *Ahem* Hear, hear, cheerio! Schedules to keep and so on and so forth. Admirable, really, wot wot? *Harrumph* Elven military, you say? Do go on, old boy!
    Last edited by Kaulguard; 2012-07-16 at 11:31 PM.
    I participated!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    I'm not guessing or questioning anything anymore. I'm just here to enjoy the free buffet.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Patience young padawan. The Giant has the Kickstarter issues to deal with. We'll get an update soon.
    It's not kickstarter. It's summer vacation. The kickstarter has changed priorities. Updating the online comic is way, way down there now. Working on actual moneymaking projects, and taking some time off now that it can be afforded, are the priorities now. It happens to everyone who "makes it" at their formerly unprofitable job. It happened to me...except I hired people to do all the new work. I imagine it's a bit tougher to hire someone to update the online comic as it's all one man's style.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulguard View Post
    Sigh. And people thought the title of 854 was screwing with them...
    Well, the current title may also foreshadow how this forum is going to look like

19. - Top - End - #619

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    It's not kickstarter. It's summer vacation. The kickstarter has changed priorities. Updating the online comic is way, way down there now. Working on actual moneymaking projects, and taking some time off now that it can be afforded, are the priorities now. It happens to everyone who "makes it" at their formerly unprofitable job. It happened to me...except I hired people to do all the new work. I imagine it's a bit tougher to hire someone to update the online comic as it's all one man's style.
    I only say Kickstarter based on the update he sent last week.