New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Rebels of Westwall (IC Thread)

"I think that Amonsfeld would be our best target. It is a city, and well defended, but if we take it, the people there should support us as well as they did the Tyrant. If you want something smaller, there's a few villages around here we could secure. We might be able to convince a few hundred more to join our cause, especially with the coin we have recovered."

"But why did was I not consumed by the Larnok....it tried, and failed to kill me. The Tyrant seeks me still."
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I'd like to have more men at my command before I try and take a city." Adam says. "How well defended is Amonsfeld--how many men, catapults, and so on?"

Ethan keeps listening.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

"Last estimates I know of were five ballistae on the walls, and five hundred men defending it, about half legionaires and half native guardsmen. That could have changed by now, we haven't focused on something we lacked the ability to take. With a couple more catapults we could siege it, but that may just be an utter failure, if reinforcements find us. The villages, on the other hand, aren't walled, have a handful of guardsmen and maybe a company or two of soldiers at best. The real problem is that there's a patrol that frequents the countryside of a few hundred horsemen and a few hundred mounted archers. If they hear we have secured a village, they may try to cause trouble, and when they cause trouble, villages get burnt."

The boy stops talking, and stares at the air in front of him as if listening intently. (Make a will save)

4. - Top - End - #64

Will save: (1d20+15)[19]

"I'd spare the villages, if I could. Ethan and I will go into Amonsfeld to resupply and to examine what we face."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

The boy sitting on the log disappears in a mist of smoke. You can tell that there's a magical effect making you think he was still there, acting like he was listening. Where he went is a mystery, until you hear breathing behind you. Turning around, you see him standing there, glaring at you.

"I asked you to leave me alone....how much plainer can I make that? Or do you lack the intelligence to understand the common tongue?"

6. - Top - End - #66

Ethan looks at the boy. "What is the Larnok?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-07-12 at 07:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

"A prison. One that consumes the magical essence of those trapped there." He turns and walks away from you at a quick pace.

8. - Top - End - #68

Ethan lets the boy go, making a mental note to investigate further. He finds Adam. "How far is Amonsfeld? Are you ready to go, now?" Adam nods. "If you have anything you'd like me to pick up, write it down," he tells Barlenor.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"We have what we need here, and intel is the best commodity you can bring back. What bothers me most is that my men reported four hundred horsemen, mostly conscripts, when what we faced was four hundred legionaires, all from the eastern countries....very disturbing to know my intelligence gathering is that poor."

Amonsfeld is about 20 miles away. Unmounted, you can move about 3.5 miles an hour. Mounted you can do 7. It will take about 6 hours to reach Amonsfeld by foot, and 3 by horseback.

10. - Top - End - #70

Adam nods. He and Ethan take 2 horses to Amonsfeld.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

The journey to Amonsfeld is quiet. Nobody seems to be on the snow-swept roads until you nearly reach the town. There a bustle of merchant activity, and more than a few red-cloaked legionaires, await you. The city has a large stone wall rising above it, with five towers in view from the gate you enter. Each tower has archers patrolling it, and siege equipment that could be ballistae, it is hard to tell from this angle. One thing is certain, the city is well fortified, and you estimate there are at least one hundred men on this half of the wall.

Entering the main gate, you see even more cloaked legionaires. There are dozens of them patrolling the streets and keeping the peace. The common folk seem to barely notice them, a sign, perhaps, that they accept their presence as ordinary now. The main thoroughfare is bustling with activity, as every kind of shopkeep shouts about their wares, despite the frosty breath that spews out when they speak. The town seems friendly and inviting, and true to Barlenor's word, almost anything imaginable is available here. There is even a temple to Cuthbert, among other dieties.

12. - Top - End - #72

Adam first makes pilgrimage to the temple, to offer his rites of worship to Cuthbert. Ethan joins him briefly before heading to the main thoroughfare. He listens to the shopkeeps hawk as he walks from one end to the other, then goes back to the shopkeepers most likely to have black onyx gems for sale.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Adam is confronted by one of the clerics of the temple. Though he does not know the man, the man clearly recognizes him. "You bring dangerous tidings here, son of vengeance. I do not think the legionaires would appreciate knowing a rebel leader has come to us."

Ethan is able to find a vendor selling all sorts of jewels, and another who sells reagents, also selling onyx gems. They seem to have a fair amount (together they have 40 gems worth 25gp each)

14. - Top - End - #74

Adam frowns. "I would think here, of all places, one would recognize the nature of the 'rebellion' as you call it. There is no order but Divine, no Law greater than our Saint's. How can serving His will be rebellion?"

Ethan buys all the onyx gems. He then looks for a weapons vendor, or several rather, and inquires how many shortbows he might procure.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

"There can be no justice while rebellion ferments, no rule of law while the crown fights the commoner. Only when the war is over can the Great Justicar see that justice is doled out." Several of the other priests who overhear this nod in agreement with the first priest.

In the marketplace, there are very few weapons vendors. One, however, claims to be able to procure one hundred bows, but only if he is paid half of the price ahead of time, and they will take a week to arrive (total cost; 30gp per each = 3000 gp, 1500 up front)

16. - Top - End - #76

Ethan shakes his head. The city has plenty of other streets, perhaps down one of them, he'd find a weaponsmith. "Thank you," he says, and walks away. A handful of stalls down the road, he asks a vendor, "Where can I find a smith to shoe my horse, and which one crafts the finest knives?"

Adam, meanwhile, continues his learning from the clerics here. "That is different from what they teach us in the East. There we are taught that when the war is over, the time for justice has passed. Our Saint is a warrior, he does not hide behind words. He ensures justice is done with his own hands, and we are taught to follow his example. I know why Our Saint supports what you call rebellion. Why would He support what you call order?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-07-12 at 11:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Gather Information about smiths from this vendor: (1d20+7)[12]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

The older priest just smiles. "Be careful, priest, the fog of war clouds justice first of all." He turns and leaves you, and the others go back to their duties.

You are quickly pointed to a blacksmith, who makes all matter of tools and equipment, including horseshoes. Another smith a few stalls away is known for his throwing knives, which are said to be things of great balance and agility, usable even by a child.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ethan nods, and disappears into a shadowy corner. The small-sized creature that emerges is not Ethan, but gnome trader Waldred Cobblepaver, one of Ethan's many disguises. Disguised as this gnome, he asks around the marketplace for the following information:

1) Who is in charge of Amonsfeld? (1d20+7)[20]
    2) Is there a Mage's guild, or similar seat of magical power in Amonsfeld? If not, where is the nearest? (1d20+7)[17]
    3) What is the Larnok? (1d20+7)[23]
    4) How do the people of Amonsfeld feel about the Empire? (1d20+7)[17]
    5) Where do the smiths do their smithing? (1d20+7)[18]

Adam heads away from the marketplace in search of an inn or tavern.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

The leader of Amonsfeld used to be the City Council, but they have been supplanted by a Military Governor, Octavius Bruton, who is also the head of the defensive forces of the city.

There was a Mage's Guild, but once the occupation started, it was dissolved. Magic is under the purview of the Ministry of Magic, and they have not yet set up their offices in the city yet. Until then, there are only a few, disgruntled ex-Guild Mages, but no organization.

The only information you can get on the Larnok is that it is a severe punishment handed out against magic users. It is the only way to safely destroy devils and demons, and those that worship them.

The people of Amonsfeld feel indifferent about the occupation. Their lives have largely been unaffected. Some of the magic users of the area are a bit disgruntled, but most are highly intelligent and old, willing to wait it out until the new administration gets their act together. Many of the blacksmiths are happy to have work making weapons for the legion.

Most of the blacksmiths have forges within the city (one of the shops you were referred to is set up in the front parts of a forge, an is very hot and smoky). A few have forges outside the city, and bring in their products.

Adam finds a Tavern named the Green Dragonrider. It is a fairly busy inn, with a bustling common room.

21. - Top - End - #81

Disguised as Cobblepaver, Ethan goes to the smith with the hot and smoky shop and inquires about bows. "How many, and how soon can you have them? There's a demand in Verdren I'd like to capitalize on, with the hunting season coming up. The sooner I get there the better." He also asks about the number of weapons and types of weapons the Empire has ordered. Gather Information (1d20+7)[22]

Adam casts Eagle's Splendor before entering the bar (+4 to Cha for 10 min). He then orders an ale and sits down at an empty table, preferably in the corner but wherever he can get a good view of the room. He takes a hearty first drink of his ale when it arrives and watches the room, listening and trying to spot anything he can tell about the patrons. He is particularly interested in anyone wealthy or powerful looking, or any apparent magic users (perhaps carrying a spell component pouch or spell book). Anyone with a weapon sticks out as well. Listen (1d20+4)[8] Spot (1d20+4)[16] Sense Motive (1d20+4)[16]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-07-16 at 06:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

The smith laughs at your little gnome, saying that he can make crossbows, but isn't very skilled at it, and that you'll want a carpenter or a bowyer for bows. He also recommends that your market tip may not work, as most farmers and hunters make their bows themselves, and only the nobility would want one otherwise (and they commission theirs).

The weapons he's made for the legions sound fairly familiar: javelins and short swords, but he's been making lances and more javelins than usual lately.

At the Green Dragonrider, Adam's vigil is soon rewarded when a very drunk man with a white beard starts making a ruckus in the corner. He seems to be speaking in draconic, muttering loudly.

23. - Top - End - #83

Adam watches the man for a moment. If he seems to be in danger of hurting himself or others, Adam will try and bring him outside the tavern. If he seems harmless, Adam will watch how the other patrons react. If no one seems to mind him, Adam will order another ale, and bring it over to the man, and sit down on the side of the table adjacent to him, still watching the room.

Ethan (as Cobblepaver) asks the smith, "Do you know a bowyer who you'd trust with such an order? And don't worry about me. I'm confident I can turn a profit on them."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-07-17 at 12:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

The smith gives you the name of a carpenter who lives outside the city, claiming he makes the best bows and is trustworthy. He isn't sure how many bows the man can make, but they will be good quality, and the man is honest.

After watching the man for a short period, Adam gets near him. He can smell the large amounts of alcohol on the man. Eventually the man speaks in common, slurring his speech badly, complaining about the dissolution of the Mage's Guild, and the revoking of his license to sell scrolls and potions.

25. - Top - End - #85

Ethan (as Cobblepaver) heads to the carpenter suggested. Once there, he asks substantially the same questions, keen on finding out how many this carpenter can produce.

Adam asks the ex-Mage why he needs a license to sell such goods.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

The mage explains in no uncertain terms that the only reason he needs a licence is because the Crown wants to tax the living daylights out of his business.

The carpenter says he can produce a longbow a week by himself, and he has two apprentices that could probably double that production to two a week. He's not had any weapon orders at all from the legionaires. He gives fairly similar answers to those the blacksmith gave you about the other questions you asked.
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2012-07-20 at 10:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

"I'm more interested in shortbows," Cobblepaver says. "But if you can make me 4 or more per week, I'll buy them."

"Oh, are you a crafter?" Adam asks, purposely naive.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"Potions, wands, scrolls....you name it and I can make it."

The carpenter agrees that he could make four shortbows a week with help from his apprentices.

29. - Top - End - #89

"I'll be back at the end of the week, then," Cobblepaver says. "Thank you." Cobblepaver heads to the market to find the man who told him he could have 100 bows at the end of the week.

Adam smiles. "Well, my friend, it sounds to me like you have a reasonable grievance against the Empire, and that if they weren't in charge here, your life would be better. Is that correct?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2012-07-20 at 11:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

It isn't hard to find the merchant willing to sell 100 bows. Of course, when you ask as a gnome, he mentions something about a "hot market on bows" and that you're the second person to ask about it today. His offer is unchanged, half up front, half on delivery.

"My life was better without the Empire tying strings to me, yes. If they were gone I could have my shop again."