New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1237

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #991
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Also, updates tend to happen near the time when offices close in Seattle, which would be 8 pm EST.

GW2 doesn't let you run an unpatched game, so it forces you to patch before downloading. That's for security reasons blah blah. I think it's actually pretty cool that the game never goes offline!
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

2. - Top - End - #992
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ya if you are in a dungeon or something when the new build comes out, you have a three hour timer to finish. If you are just running around it gives you a 5 min timer iirc. I love it. The patch is typically done by the time I bio and grab a drink, and better then most other games where it would equal hours of down time.

*EDIT*
    Also, on the topic of spirit weapons, they are truly useless now imo (in fights that matter). They take damage and die, so with typically AoE they dont even last their full life, which was short anyways.
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2013-01-31 at 09:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    Also, updates tend to happen near the time when offices close in Seattle, which would be 8 pm EST.

GW2 doesn't let you run an unpatched game, so it forces you to patch before downloading. That's for security reasons blah blah. I think it's actually pretty cool that the game never goes offline!
    I assume its to guarantee the patch is done by the time they get home and boot up their private account.

4. - Top - End - #994

ClericGuy

It's because they spend that whole day testing the build before pushing it.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

And issues still come up. They really need a public test server.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Agreed, I'm surprised they don't. Most (?) games do, is there a stated reason they don't?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to my knowledge. Anyone have experience with the supposed culling fix?

8. - Top - End - #998

Man, I seriously love the new rotating achievements. I finally get to use Battle Standard on a somewhat-regular basis, and it's pretty damn awesome. I was holding off the siege event at Doric's Waypoint all by myself, ressing those silly Pact troops.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Very Nice!

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

New Guild Wars 2 player here, account name: Starwulf.8970

I'm a Norn Guardian, just hit level 10 earlier tonight, on server of Sea of Sorrows. so far loving the game, it's quite fun, and immensely huge, I'm enjoying just running around finding new points of interest and viewpoints and what not.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

I am loving archer warrior. Burn them all!

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm just starting out on this game, and I have a couple questions if you'll endulge me. It's mostly about the gem shop, because I'm not burning any more of my cash without knowing what I'm getting.

1) I'm playing a human engineer. Great class, oozes style, but the (one) gem store skin for medium armors makes no sense. Why make a death-themed armor set the only skin available for a set of classes that don't have a particular death theme? Also, if anyone has used it, is it one-use only? Are you basically spending a little over six bucks for an appearance that only lasts as long as your current gear?

2) Is there anything in that store that has any real meaning at all? The only thing I can find are the dyes. Unfortunately, they're randomized - and if Mass Effect 3 has taught me anything, it's that random number generators hate my guts.

I'm sorry if I'm complaining here, but this just seems like nonsense. I understand that those who pay cash getting a substantial advantage is poor form, but they should at least have something up there someone would want to buy, no? If that Kyton Armor skin were reusable it might be worth it, but if it's one time only it's overpriced and worthless.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I'm just starting out on this game, and I have a couple questions if you'll endulge me. It's mostly about the gem shop, because I'm not burning any more of my cash without knowing what I'm getting.

1) I'm playing a human engineer. Great class, oozes style, but the (one) gem store skin for medium armors makes no sense. Why make a death-themed armor set the only skin available for a set of classes that don't have a particular death theme? Also, if anyone has used it, is it one-use only? Are you basically spending a little over six bucks for an appearance that only lasts as long as your current gear?
    It's an updated skin from Guild Wars 1. It is technically one use only, however nothing is stopping you from using transmutation stones to keep it up to date with your gear. Although these stones are available from the gem-shop, at least pre-level 80, you'll have more than enough just from playing to keep up.

2) Is there anything in that store that has any real meaning at all? The only thing I can find are the dyes. Unfortunately, they're randomized - and if Mass Effect 3 has taught me anything, it's that random number generators hate my guts.

I'm sorry if I'm complaining here, but this just seems like nonsense. I understand that those who pay cash getting a substantial advantage is poor form, but they should at least have something up there someone would want to buy, no? If that Kyton Armor skin were reusable it might be worth it, but if it's one time only it's overpriced and worthless.
    it depends on what you want. The only things I've bought from the gem store are the heavy armor skin and some fine transmutation stones when they were on sale. You can always upgrade your bank slots (which is account based) or your characters' bag slots (which is character based). The bank slots can be useful, but the bag slots aren't really worth it, especially since it is relatively easy to craft your own bags.

Honestly, if you want dyes, you'd be better off converting those gems to gold and buying them direct off the trade post. I hate random generated stuff too. Just keep in mind that dyes are character bound, not account bound.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

14. - Top - End - #1004

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    It is a common criticism that the gem store doesn't have too many items yet. I'm sure the art team is on it. What you can do is yeah, buy trans stones to keep your armor/weapon skins; buy the quaggan backpack which I'm told is the rage; collect minis; trade for gold that you can use to buy other skins you like.

If you want something to help your characters, you might want to try boosters; I personally find them a huge waste but if you don't mind buying gems... also black lion keys are a nice lottery, and sometimes some really good things come out of them. It's a lottery though, so expect to lose a lot in the long run.

15. - Top - End - #1005

the quaggan backpack which I'm told is the rage;
    Seriously.

This is the only reason for your gems. Buy a buttload of them. It's totally worth it.

I mean, look at that face.

LOOK AT THAT FACE.

also, it's also worth noting that trading gems can be fairly profitable. There was a hilarious spike in gem prices when the backpack came out, and I made like 80g off gems that I bought in August.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hey all,

I wanted to quickly give an update on where we stand with upcoming releases for WvW to help give a sense of where we’re at, and set expectations for the coming months. We’re in the midst of finalizing our February release, which I know had been discussed as a potentially large month for WvW additions.

Because of how broad the WvW game type is, and how large testing for features for this area of the game can be we’re going to hold off on any major WvW updates until March to allow a bit more time to test and polish.

March will see the release of the WuvWuv progression system, new ranks you can earn in WvW visible to all other players, and new DubVDub specific abilities/bonuses that you can earn as you rank up. Our team working on WvW will discuss this system in more detail as that date approaches.

Other major systems currently in the works, which will see updates in the future, include:

- Continual work to re-build the way our game loads models and compresses data, to allow for more visible characters/names in WvW in the long run as we build towards removing as much culling as possible from the game.

- Expanding on reasons to be winning in WvW beyond the total weekly score, providing stronger incentives for specific objectives and additional short term goals/rewards for winning minute-to-minute in the WvW maps.

- Providing additional ways for WvW players to earn various power-progression rewards available across the game currently in PvE for participating in WvW content.

- Exploring ways to help get more people playing WvW, as well as dealing with queue issues that come with those inherent issues of player population and demand.

- And of course additional polish and cleanup features to make the general experience in WuvWuv more fun and exciting.

We’ll discuss timelines and more details for the projects for 2013 listed above as they get closer to being finalized and we can safely say we know for sure when they will be released. We’ve recently expanded the staffing on our WvW team to build up and expand this core part of Gw2 even more, and we look forward to sharing with you more details and features in the coming month as this group polishes and grows the WvW experience.
    Colin Johanson

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Which Mesmer healing skill do you guys think is better: Ether Feast of Mantra of Recovery? I've been using the MoR for a long time now, but every so often I wonder if Ether Feast isn't more efficient.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ether Feast is much better IMO, and the only one I use. Much stronger heal (more then twice as strong as mantra, even with no clones), and a low cast time.

With fully Manta build (extra cast, CD ect...) I can see mantra being as good, but if you are not speced for mantras, I would not use it.
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2013-02-06 at 02:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is there a trick to getting your pet bear to tank for you? I've got a level 15 Ranger and in particular the story missions are frustrating because it seems like the enemies just ignore the pet while trying to murder me.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Is there a trick to getting your pet bear to tank for you? I've got a level 15 Ranger and in particular the story missions are frustrating because it seems like the enemies just ignore the pet while trying to murder me.
    ranger pets are mainly meant for dps, not as tanks.
    sort of like level 80+ hunter's in wow.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

21. - Top - End - #1011

I have a level 30-ish ranger and never had any trouble getting my bear to tank, to the point I was starting to wonder why I even had a counter-attack skill on my greatsword. Maybe being closer to the pet helps? I was playing melee mostly.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Banned

What weapons are you using, and which one do you usually initiate combat with?

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I hit 35 tonight, and apparently that's when rare gear becomes able to be bought. Just blew through every bit of currency I had. 3 gold, 10 silver, and some odd coppers. Upgraded everything but leggings(ran out of money). so those are next, and then I need to buy stuff to put in the gear. I've already gained 130 Attack(40 power), 300 HP(30ish vit), 130 Armor and 10 precision. Once I socket it all, I'll gain like another 30 power and whatever other stat I decide to go with, probably vit or toughness though. I like being super durable.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry to say Starwulf... but you probably wasted your money

Only time you want to worry about getting rare/exotic gear is at 80, before then it's not really going to do much.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

25. - Top - End - #1015

ClericGuy

Those items will probably outperform blues up to L50, but yeah... kind of a sub-optimal choice for purchases.

Ah let's be positive! You're going to steamroll everything in your path for a while!
    Last edited by mucco; 2013-02-10 at 07:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those items will probably outperform blues up to L50, but yeah... kind of a sub-optimal choice for purchases.

Ah let's be positive! You're going to steamroll everything in your path for a while!
    If they will probably out-preform items up to level 50, and he's level 35...Then it's not really a bad choice, now is it?

Especially considering he'll probably just make the money back getting to 50.

27. - Top - End - #1017

ClericGuy

No, I don't think. Gear isn't really important as you usually have no problem in PvE even with white/blue gear. Rares make you go 5s faster/end combats with 70% instead of 50% health, but they are not nearly game-changing.

About making money back, it depends largely on play-style. I tend to make little gold/XP while leveling because I spend a lot of my time in activities that give XP but little/no money like gathering, crafting, buying food that increases XP gain, doing exploration and hearts. Much of my XP doesn't come from combat before L80. As a result, I saw 3g for the first time around L75, and the trait books always cost me a sizable chunk of my current money. My 35-50 level interval is extremely low-gain if not negative because of the 1g trait book.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I don't think. Gear isn't really important as you usually have no problem in PvE even with white/blue gear. Rares make you go 5s faster/end combats with 70% instead of 50% health, but they are not nearly game-changing.

About making money back, it depends largely on play-style. I tend to make little gold/XP while leveling because I spend a lot of my time in activities that give XP but little/no money like gathering, crafting, buying food that increases XP gain, doing exploration and hearts. Much of my XP doesn't come from combat before L80. As a result, I saw 3g for the first time around L75, and the trait books always cost me a sizable chunk of my current money. My 35-50 level interval is extremely low-gain if not negative because of the 1g trait book.
    I'd say most of my money has come from killing and daily/map completion rewards. I do as many events as I come across, but I don't actively seek them out. I've already spent well 3 gold just in crafting so far, along with the 3 I just spent on gear. If it really does take me to 50 with no noticeable upgrades, It'll be more then worth it for me, I enjoy being able to stand toe to toe with veterans, and be the person who tanks champion mobs in groups ^^

29. - Top - End - #1019

ClericGuy

Well, higher level rares will get better of course.

The point is, you could have spent maybe 15s on greens and another 15s on greens say at level 40, and you'd have a better armor. Yellow things are extremely overpriced because you can combine them for higher level stuff that eventually yields stuff that you can salvage for ectos, so the yellow price is not tied to their intrinsec value but to their salvage potential instead.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Yeah, here's my general guidelines for buying armor:

Blues until level 14
    Greens at level 14, upgrade every 10 levels.
    Rares at level (I wanna say 45, but in essence, this is the first level where they become drops. Therefore, they're super cheap), upgrade every 15 or so levels.
    Exotics at 80, but purchase 74-78 exotics unless you have dungeon tokens or the cash to spare.

You can upgrade your gear to the highest quality. It's not that costly; the reason why it cost you so much to do so is that you bought it at the first available level. If I bought Rares when they first become available as drops, I can guarantee that I'd be buying them for half of what you paid.

Also, I don't remember much about playing with Rares as your best gear, but all I remember is that you'll only be able to safely go toe-to-toe with vets with higher-level rares and exotics, without counting your dodging capabilities.

Yellow things are extremely overpriced because you can combine them for higher level stuff that eventually yields stuff that you can salvage for ectos, so the yellow price is not tied to their intrinsec value but to their salvage potential instead.
    That doesn't really come online until level 74, though.

Also, another thing to watch out for is the second/third line for attributes. That's another point when buying gear of the highest quality is worthwhile.
    Last edited by GenericMook; 2013-02-11 at 04:08 AM.