New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Spoiler
    Show
    Borderland Ranger, Increasing Devotion, Rootbound Defenses, and Collective Blessing I could see being cut or moved to the sideboard. With such a reduction of Humans, I would probably take out Champion of the Parish, as well, though he can still make for explosive starts if you get a god hand.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guild Feud, it is so silly and long winded that I think I'm in love.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is just awesome. I love big wacky red enchantments, they're always so much fun.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is just awesome. I love big wacky red enchantments, they're always so much fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the best use for it that I've seen in standard is to play the beast tracker dude and put the 15/15 wurm on top of your library
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

4. - Top - End - #634
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Borderland Ranger, Increasing Devotion, Rootbound Defenses, and Collective Blessing I could see being cut or moved to the sideboard. With such a reduction of Humans, I would probably take out Champion of the Parish, as well, though he can still make for explosive starts if you get a god hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All good points. That's actually another thing I was wondering. The human sub-theme would probably be a remnant of my current deck, I'm just wondering whether or not it's worth it to actually keep that theme in there? As far as I can see it's taking up space that could be used for cards like Arbor Elf and the removal that comes with Black.

Oh, and I was also considering Thraben Doomsayer. The token generation seems pretty great for a deck like this, and his Fateful Hour anthem seems like icing on the cake.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That Anthem is actually rather insane. Extremely powerful effect. Determining whether it's worth 6 mana is a different matter, but you are playing a card that says "you win combat as long as this card is in play" for a really large amount of situations. I know, for example, that it will be an all-star in EDH just by pure power-level.

Delver still doesn't have a very good counterspell, so all this "can't be countered" business is kind of "whatever you say" in Standard.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

...These spoilers are making it really hard for me to decide if I want to play Golgari or Rakdos.

On the one hand, I love the Golgari mechanic and the color combination. On the other, I really like more then few Rakdos cards (Dreadbore, will you marry me?) and their theme of 'murder circus!'...what to decide?!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delver still doesn't have a very good counterspell, so all this "can't be countered" business is kind of "whatever you say" in Standard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, first thing I thought seeing Abrupt Decay and Supreme Verdict was "What's with all the 'can't be countered' clauses all of a sudden?" I get that Wizards apparently wants UW Delver to die in a fire, but surgically excluding everything that makes it actually work as a deck from M13 (and presumably from RtR block as well) seems like more than enough.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...These spoilers are making it really hard for me to decide if I want to play Golgari or Rakdos.

On the one hand, I love the Golgari mechanic and the color combination. On the other, I really like more then few Rakdos cards (Dreadbore, will you marry me?) and their theme of 'murder circus!'...what to decide?!
    Why not both? Jund all the way.
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Rakdos all the way, my fellow party murder clown of doom!

But why don't you just take them both? Rakdos + energized Golgari zombies = cheesy Thriller remake
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, first thing I thought seeing Abrupt Decay and Supreme Verdict was "What's with all the 'can't be countered' clauses all of a sudden?" I get that Wizards apparently wants UW Delver to die in a fire, but surgically excluding everything that makes it actually work as a deck from M13 (and presumably from RtR block as well) seems like more than enough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The real issue is that I'm not even sure Delver cares anymore. Fine, you get what is basically Terminate against me and I can't counter it. Except Abrupt Decay can't kill Geist of St. Traft, or Restoration Angel, or Talrand. It trades being able to kill any of those for being able to kill Runechanter's Pike. Maybe that's relevant, but I think I'd rather just have Terminate.

What are the big cards that Delver is playing that you are getting huge value on with Abrubt Decay? New Delver isn't going to be nearly as fast, they won't be able to threaten you with death on turn 6 nearly as often because they simply don't have Ponder to set up consistent Delvers anymore. New Delver is going to win with cards like Talrand, cards that Abrubt Decay does nothing against. Losing tempo, I feel, isn't going to hurt them as much because I think they'll have a really powerful late-game.

The others having "can't be countered" is actually relevant, since they're expensive and the decks they're good against do play counters to stop those kinds of cards. Being able to Memoricide a blue control deck or a combo deck with certainty seems like it could be valuable, and ensuring your Day of Judgment resolves against a deck like Merfolk might be relevant. But Abrubt Decay is cheap enough (and an Instant!) that "can't be countered" feels almost completely unnecessary.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-06 at 07:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
    Why not both? Jund all the way.
    I don't think I can choose both for the prerelease. Also, I'm what many call a Vorthos in that I enjoy flavor and themes to my deck. It'd feel...weird playing Golgari Circus.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Callos: It'll be hard to choose until we see all the cards. I honestly suggest waiting until you've seen everything so you have a better idea of the playstyle.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

ugh... functional reprint of Surgical extraction.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

ugh... functional reprint of Surgical extraction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    talking about Slaughter Games? That's not a functional reprint, a functional reprint is the same card but with a different name and sometime sub type.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a multicolored EDH general that would fit a historical-themed deck? I wanted to make a deck with 1 card from every set of Magic ever made.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a multicolored EDH general that would fit a historical-themed deck?
    Any of these guys could potentially qualify.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-06 at 09:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is there a multicolored EDH general that would fit a historical-themed deck? I wanted to make a deck with 1 card from every set of Magic ever made.
    Maybe one of the more famous guys from Legends, like Dakkon Blackblade or Sol'kanar?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    talking about Slaughter Games? That's not a functional reprint, a functional reprint is the same card but with a different name and sometime sub type.
    Spoiler
    Show

still exiles any card in your deck with no recourse for the opponent. "what's that your playing door to nothingness? LAWL"

I'm not sure a card that disruptive should even exist, let alone be that freaking cheep.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Seth, your search parameters didn't work. Did you also look at Legends from Legends? It might be fun to make it an Elder Dragon just because.

Spoiler
    Show

still exiles any card in your deck with no recourse for the opponent. "what's that your playing door to nothingness? LAWL"

I'm not sure a card that disruptive should even exist, let alone be that freaking cheep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No recourse? There are many recourses. "Have a variety of threats in your deck" is by far the most viable, most effective, and easiest to successfully enact.

Cheap? The one we're talking about, Slaughter Games, costs 4 mana. That's not cheap at all; it's, in fact, very expensive. Expensive enough that it doesn't even get the Door to Nothingness you so specifically mentioned because your deck could have one in play by that turn! Sure it's disruptive, but not at such a level that it's not beatable.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-06 at 09:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Lord Seth, your search parameters didn't work. Did you also look at Legends from Legends? It might be fun to make it an Elder Dragon just because.
    Well, it was supposed to give you a list of all multicolored legends from the Time Spiral block.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Aven Mindcensor is a recourse.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If your deck honestly can't win without Door to Nothingness, then that doesn't mean this card is overpowered, it means your deck is awful.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-07 at 12:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

...I don't even know what to say about this, other than that it's the card control decks are going to have nightmares about for the next two years.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

It's 4 mana and doesn't do anything beyond exiling said one card. It's essentially a null turn and will rarely end up being more than a 1 to 1 if even that.

Not to mention most decks will not be harmed by the removal of one card. I doubt it'll see that much play especially since Surgical Extraction and Extirpate exist. For reference, see how much play Cranial Extraction got.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

...I don't even know what to say about this, other than that it's the card control decks are going to have nightmares about for the next two years.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Should I get these now while I can get them for less than six dollars apiece, or wait?

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really think so. The "can't be countered" is decent but just means the counterspell goes to another card, and the discard part is practically a non-thing. The simple issue is that it has no real resistance to removal, so a sweeper or targeted removal spell ends it. And control decks have plenty of those!

I predict the card will see play in Standard, a 1GW for 4/4 is a good deal even without its extra abilities, but it's hardly something to give control decks nightmares.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

So based on these spoilers, counter spells are no longer a thing in Standard right? I mean Cavern was... actually not really that bad at all as it was mainly good for fixing, but putting can't be countered on this many cards along with the massive reduction in playable counterspells, which is now at... Dissipate??? Negate in the sideboard? Uhm... Izzet Charm I guess, though Im not sure how much of a counterspell it will actually be.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really think so. The "can't be countered" is decent but just means the counterspell goes to another card, and the discard part is practically a non-thing. The simple issue is that it has no real resistance to removal, so a sweeper or targeted removal spell ends it. And control decks have plenty of those!

I predict the card will see play in Standard, a 1GW for 4/4 is a good deal even without its extra abilities, but it's hardly something to give control decks nightmares.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't matter. As an aggro player, having a three-drop must remove is amazing. Remember, Leatherback Baloth was a card that got people really excited even though it cost GGG, and although it didn't see real play that was more because of a lack of support than anyone over-rating it; I actually did run it in a rogue deck, and it absolutely wrecked face every time I played it. This is another three-mana 4/x, and even if it has 1 less Toughness it more than makes up for it with a less restrictive mana cost and two (2) relevant anti-control abilities. For aggressive deck this card is absolutely incredible, even borderline broken; ramping into a turn-2 4/4 that your opponent can't counter or force you to discard is an incredible advantage for an aggressive deck, and one that's very hard for your opponent to come back from if not immediately answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavoniki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So based on these spoilers, counter spells are no longer a thing in Standard right? I mean Cavern was... actually not really that bad at all as it was mainly good for fixing, but putting can't be countered on this many cards along with the massive reduction in playable counterspells, which is now at... Dissipate??? Negate in the sideboard? Uhm... Izzet Charm I guess, though Im not sure how much of a counterspell it will actually be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think they're only doing one "can't be countered" per guild. We've got one Golgari (Abrupt Decay), one Rakdos (Slaughter Games), an Azorius (Supreme Verdict), an now one from Selesnya (Loxodon Smiter). It's not nothing, but you're probably only going to be able to play one, maybe two of these in a deck, and Slaughter Games at least isn't more than a side-board card, and probably only a 2-of at that. They're not irrelevant, but I don't think they're going to be so format-warping that they'll prevent the play of counterspells.
    Last edited by Mr._Blinky; 2012-09-07 at 04:13 AM.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't think I can choose both for the prerelease. Also, I'm what many call a Vorthos in that I enjoy flavor and themes to my deck. It'd feel...weird playing Golgari Circus.
    Well, you will only get one booster of your chosen guild and a bunch of regular RtR boosters, so you can build whatever you like ;)

I'm sure Rakdos and Golgari like each other just fine - one produces corpses, the other unliving party zombies
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    If your deck honestly can't win without Door to Nothingness, then that doesn't mean this card is overpowered, it means your deck is awful.
    no it means it's degenerate combo hate. I'll freely admit I don't like the card because I've watched multiple decks just get hosed via repeated castings just stripping out all the threats and killing the ones on the board. For me, that's worldspine worm power, at half the casting cost.