New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention that Detention Sphere basically says "{1}{W}{U}: Win against target token deck."
    We already had that for 1U at Instant speed with Echoing Truth.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-13 at 09:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    We already had that for 1U at Instant speed with Echoing Truth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not, however, in the same set as Populate. Win against target token deck... in a Standard when Token decks are trying to be a thing. In the colors whose mechanic is weakest to token strategies.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Has anyone else noticed that Revelation is an Instant? That's a pretty big deal for a tapout control card. Mind Spring is great but you have to cast it on your turn which leaves you open. Sphinx's Revelation can be cast on your opponent's endstep after leaving counterspell mana open.

Also X=3 means this card is Jace's Ingenuity + Healing Salve, which I find kind of hilarious myself. I wonder if that's how it was costed...seem too perfect to be a coincidence

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't understand this whole "oh man control is going to be awesome" thing. I mean, sure, maybe, but nothing I've seen has led me to believe a control deck can stand against BG Zombies.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't understand this whole "oh man control is going to be awesome" thing. I mean, sure, maybe, but nothing I've seen has led me to believe a control deck can stand against BG Zombies.
    Spoiler
    Show

it comes down to how resilient the zombies remain after losing a chunk of removal, while the sheer amount of graveyard hate is exploding. BG Zombies will be a player, but it's a player everyone sees coming. Personally I'm worried about BG Zombies (or the BUG Zombies I'm expecting) able to maintain tempo, because if detain is easily available at common; beatdown is going to have a bad time.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-09-13 at 01:03 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So y'know how we were talking about having a good 2 mana black removal spell?

Yeah.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that's a real shame, going into a block where most of the good creatures we can expect to see will most likely be multicolored. Hell, it doesnt even kill Huntsmaster or Aristocrat.

I guess I'll just have to be happy with a reprint of Pithing Needle and the new nega-Snapcaster that also hoses Gravecrawler.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

it comes down to how resilient the zombies remain after losing a chunk of removal, while the sheer amount of graveyard hate is exploding. BG Zombies will be a player, but it's a player everyone sees coming. Personally I'm worried about BG Zombies (or the BUG Zombies I'm expecting) able to maintain tempo, because if detain is easily available at common; beatdown is going to have a bad time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zombies doesn't need removal. They only played so much removal before because they literally didn't have enough creatures. Now instead of playing removal you get to play awesome creatures like Loleth Troll, Dreg Mauler, and possibly Slitherhead. You still have access to Abrupt Decay which is huge, and you still have a lot of good 1-drops and Geralf's Messenger and Blood Artist.

Control has no tools to let it beat Zombies right now. None. None of the graveyard hate does enough; you have to play cards like Purify the Grave or Tormod's Crypt that don't help you not lose to them just curving out against you. So I don't see control being a big deck.

I don't think the detain cards are going to be a big deal for Zombies. They're annoying but I don't think they're going to be too much to worry about. I mean, Detain is more or less just an Unsummon on the creature unless it's Loleth Troll.

Some response to today's spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ash Zealot is awesome. Good offensive card, highly effective against Zombies as most of their creatures lose in combat to him. Definitely like this. First Strike also gives it some defensive uses, too, which might make for something pretty interesting.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

hmm... so plithing needle is back, more snapcaster hate. so standard... wait, pshycic spiral? Self mill just got a hilarious new trick.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Psychic Spiral makes me laugh. Mostly because it's hilarious and I'm sure someone's going to do something ridiculous with it.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Blistercoil Wierd... That untap ability just gives you so many possibilities...

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rakdos Charm is really cool. I like it, even if it has low overall power level. Definitely like the variety of effects.

My guess is that there are 15 hybrid cards, 1 at each rarity in each color. They might do something different, but that's my basic guess as of now. We already knew there was going to be a 1-drop Uncommon cycle, since I think they told us.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blistercoil Wierd... That untap ability just gives you so many possibilities...
    Spoiler
    Show

also Wee Dragonauts have new friends.

rackdos charm might as well be named Hate charm. They are definitely shoring up red's lack of hate this set.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-09-14 at 01:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I seriously think I'm in love with Ash Zealot. First off, she's a bear with two amazing keywords in red, which pretty much never happens. If that weren't awesome enough, she also hates on about half of Innistrad block with a vengeance. And on top of all that, she's a hot redhead.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #735

Spoiler
    Show
    Rakdos may or may not have been spoiled, there are a few accusation of incorrect fonts and suspiciously grainy photos flying around. It looks pretty neat to me, though, so if it's a fake, it's a very interesting one
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Question about spoiler tags for the new sets; Is it really necessary? I mean, Virtually all, if not all of this page is in spoilers. Isn't it more reasonable to just add a spoiler warning to the front of the thread?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly. But at least this way if someone suggests something like a deck idea that has nothing to do with new spoilers we know the difference between someone gushing about cards that don't exist yet and someone actually looking for real help on stuff. Possibly not relevant, though.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rakdos may or may not have been spoiled, there are a few accusation of incorrect fonts and suspiciously grainy photos flying around. It looks pretty neat to me, though, so if it's a fake, it's a very interesting one
    Spoiler
    Show
    indeed, but I'm beginning to wonder about Racdos: was there something wrong about bloodthirst? or is the fact that was Gruul why they not using it?

19. - Top - End - #739

Bloodthirst was the Gruul mechanic from Ravnica proper, and Hellbent was the Rakdos mechanic from the same. They promised to invent all new keywords for each guild for RtR, ones that would synergize with the previous one.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who is afraid of reading spoilers for the next set?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I've avoided most of the spoilers so far, buts thats because I've ordered a display and opening packs is so much more fun if you don't know the cards

But why would you so you're "afraid" to reading spoilers?

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Talking of spoilers, lot of stuff just got spoiled.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ohhh A johnny blue enchantment that's going to be a $.25 rare and gives me plenty of ideas for how to abuse it! I already want 4 of them.

Also, I like how the new 3/3 for 2 spell is both better and worse than watchwolf. It's better because it synergizes with populate, but worse because both flicker and bounce destroy it. Very interesting take on the idea.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ohhh A johnny blue enchantment that's going to be a $.25 rare and gives me plenty of ideas for how to abuse it! I already want 4 of them.

Also, I like how the new 3/3 for 2 spell is both better and worse than watchwolf. It's better because it synergizes with populate, but worse because both flicker and bounce destroy it. Very interesting take on the idea.
    Bant here we come...

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Bloodthirst was the Gruul mechanic from Ravnica proper, and Hellbent was the Rakdos mechanic from the same. They promised to invent all new keywords for each guild for RtR, ones that would synergize with the previous one.
    Actually it was just that cards with the same watermark (and therefore from the same Guild) would all work well together if you decided to jam them all into the same deck. So not specific working together of mechanics. (Unleash and Hellbent don't really do anything synergistic with each other, for example.)

Some spoiler stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bant Populate in Standard seems absurd. Trostani is actually a very good card, and following it with a Thragtusk or a Resto Angel seems like unrealistic value. Cackling Counterpart on a Thragtusk is also unreal, and Populating your Thragtusk token is absurd. Also, Geist of St. Traft and Trostani are amusing buddies.

Of course, we could just play Geist and all the ridiculous Detain cards. A 2 mana detain cantrip? Really? A 2/1 detain for 2? Really? Geist seems like it's getting better and better.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-18 at 03:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Some spoiler stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bant Populate in Standard seems absurd. Tristani is actually a very good card, and following it with a Thragtusk or a Resto Angel seems like unrealistic value. Cackling Counterpart on a Thragtusk is also unreal, and Populating your Thragtusk token is absurd. Also, Geist of St. Traft and Tristani are amusing buddies.

Of course, we could just play Geist and all the ridiculous Detain cards. A 2 mana detain cantrip? Really? A 2/1 detain for 2? Really? Geist seems like it's getting better and better.
    Spoiler
    Show

cracling counterpart + populate = shenanigans. tokens everywhere with azorious tempo plays just makes my head hurt.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, what are the chances of Birds of Paradise appearing in the last ten cards to be spoilered?

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Hm, I've avoided most of the spoilers so far, buts thats because I've ordered a display and opening packs is so much more fun if you don't know the cards

But why would you so you're "afraid" to reading spoilers?
    Well my question is whether we honestly need to bother spoiling all this stuff because I question whether there's anyone here who honestly would have that much of a problem with it. This isn't like a book or TV series where you can spoil a character's death or something.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, what are the chances of Birds of Paradise appearing in the last ten cards to be spoilered?
    Pretty good, I'd say. There is no way they wouldn't reprint it right before a multicolor block...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #750
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zero unfortunately, the already spoiled cards don't leave a space for it in the name/number crunch.