New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

It wouldn't be a problem if the strong Selesyna decks were beatable. It turns out they actually aren't.

I note how many of your answers are rare. They exist, but they're much less common than Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage is, and how many 8/8 Vigilant elementals does someone actually need? It's not as many as you would think, though making 5 of them is fun. (I did that!) It's more that when you are doing it, you are completely and totally blowing your opponent out. It's not even a game. Many of the Selesnya decks I saw can also do other things early and then just have the unbeatable late game of multiple 8/8s.

It doesn't help that White has the best removal, so Selesnya decks also have access to Arrest and Trostani's Judgment to answer whatever it is you're trying to do against them. The removal was what really made my deck worse than the other variations of the same deck; I didn't have as much, and they won because of it.

Can they lose? Certainly. This is Magic we're talking about. But the deck is actually quite functional and very consistent if you have the tools, and most of the games involving the 8/8 are certain victories to anything but your opponent's identical card. Nothing anyone else could do seemed to work, or they simply didn't have it.

This is all from my personal experience. Theoretically what you are saying may be true, but for specifically the prerelease I played in, no one who picked anything but Selesnya had a comparable deck to the top 3 or 4 Selesnya decks.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-30 at 12:10 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    These might not be the most valuable cards price-wise, but they're very solid for Limited. Chemister in particular is very, very good. Glad you did well with a rather unorthodox pool, though!
    Oh, I wont disagree that they were getting work done when played, but when your deck pool includes a Rest in Peace and Palisade Giant, and then your prize pool contains another copy of each along with a Mana Bloom, the rares seem kind of bleh.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like I made some mistakes at the prerelease. This was my pool (I picked Izzet), and I want to know what other people would have done with it.

Spoiler
    Show

White:
    Trostani's Judgement
    Ethereal Armor
    Baazar Krovod
    Trained Caracal
    Swift Justice
    Conordia Pegasus
    Azorius Arrester

Blue:
    Bluster Squall
    Paralyzing Grasp
    Voidwielder
    Skyline Predator
    Isperia's Skywatch
    Runewing
    Doorkeeper X3
    Downsize X2
    Crosstown Courier
    Tower Drake

Black:
    Launch Party
    Daggerdrome Imp
    Mind Rot
    Destroy the Evidence
    Catacomb Slug
    Tavern Swindler
    Perilous Shadow
    Terrus Wurm
    Sewer Shambler

Red:
    Goblin Rally
    Viashino Racketeer
    Street Spasm X2
    Explosive Impact
    Electrickery
    Lobber Crew X2
    Bellows Lizard
    Traitorous Instinct
    Tenement Crasher
    Pyroconvergence
    Survey the Wreckage
    Cobblebrute
    Dynacharge X2
    Vandalblast

Green:
    Aerial Predation
    Seek the Horizon
    Axebane Guardian
    Axebane Stag
    Druid's Deliverance
    Centaur's Herald
    Chorus of Might
    Drudge Beetle

Azorius:
    Archon of the Triumvirate
    Vassal Soul

Selesnya:
    Collective Blessing
    Heroes Renion
    Centaur Healer
    Common Bond
    Growing Ranks
    Sundering Growth
    Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

Golgari:
    Sluiceway Scorpion
    Rites of Reaping X2
    Korozda Guildmage

Rakdos:
    Skull Rend
    Spawn of Rix Maadi

Izzet:
    Frostburn Weird X2
    Hypersonic Dragon
    Izzet Staticaster
    Thoughtflare
    Goblin Electromancer X2
    Firemind's Foresight
    Nivmagus Elemental
    Chemister's Trick

Artifacts and Lands:
    Rakdos Keyrune
    Tablet of the Guilds
    Overgrown Tomb
    Golgari Guildgate
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Izzet Guildgate X2

Last edited by The Extinguisher; 2012-09-30 at 12:51 AM.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

4. - Top - End - #844
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    It wouldn't be a problem if the strong Selesyna decks were beatable. It turns out they actually aren't.

I note how many of your answers are rare. They exist, but they're much less common than Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage is, and how many 8/8 Vigilant elementals does someone actually need? It's not as many as you would think, though making 5 of them is fun. (I did that!) It's more that when you are doing it, you are completely and totally blowing your opponent out. It's not even a game. Many of the Selesnya decks I saw can also do other things early and then just have the unbeatable late game of multiple 8/8s.

It doesn't help that White has the best removal, so Selesnya decks also have access to Arrest and Trostani's Judgment to answer whatever it is you're trying to do against them. The removal was what really made my deck worse than the other variations of the same deck; I didn't have as much, and they won because of it.

Can they lose? Certainly. This is Magic we're talking about. But the deck is actually quite functional and very consistent if you have the tools, and most of the games involving the 8/8 are certain victories to anything but your opponent's identical card. Nothing anyone else could do seemed to work, or they simply didn't have it.

This is all from my personal experience. Theoretically what you are saying may be true, but for specifically the prerelease I played in, no one who picked anything but Selesnya had a comparable deck to the top 3 or 4 Selesnya decks.
    Bolded for emphasis. My main point was that Selesnya will not always, or even most of the time, have the tools to make the deck work. The Guildmage is an uncommon, meaning it's unreliable. Trostani is a mythic, as is the 8/8 vigilant land (though it is included in the guild packs, yes). Perhaps I'm just bitter about getting all the Populate cards and almost none of the token producers, but I'm skeptical about Selesnya always being the best deck. I will agree that Selesnya decks are the best in the format, but I feel that the overall power level of Selesnya fluctuates a lot compared to the other guilds; Rakdos can consistently turn out an aggro deck, Golgari decks have a lot of inevitability on their end and act as good midrange decks, Izzet decks have a tendency to win out of nowhere, and so on. All I'm saying is that, based on my personal experience, Selesnya will get there if it has the tools it needs. I'm highly skeptical about most Selesnya players getting those tools. Your experience is probably skewed because you were in the winning bracket most of the time when you had the synergies to work with, and only played the Selesnya decks that did get the tools. Mine is skewed in that I was almost demolished by a Golgari deck that would certainly have demolished me despite my Elemental token had the person running it not misplayed several times and had I not been able to draw game 3 out to a draw. I'm just saying, just because Selesnya has a chance at getting the best deck, don't count out the other decks. Scavenge is a really powerful mechanic that is a lot easier to put together than a Populate deck is, and evasion through Korozda Guildmage on any of the numberous huge bodies that a Golgari deck can put out is ridiculous.

Either way, I'm going to another prerelease tomorrow, and I can give a more accurate report of how good the guilds are.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's been forever since I even glanced at this thread, much less posted. @.@
    I'm looking for advice, however. I got the random urge to create a Golgari Zombie list. Unfortunately I don't have any means of playtesting at the moment, so I just did the best I could while just thinking it over.

{table=head] | Golgari Zombies | 60 | Cards | |
    23 | Lands | 23 | Creatures | 14 | Spells
    3 | Cavern of Souls | 3 | Diregraf Ghoul | 2 | Abrupt Decay
    2 | Forest | 4 | Dreg Mangler | 2 | Garruk Relentless
    4 | Overgrown Tomb | 4 | Geralf's Messenger | 2 | Grisly Salvage
    10 | Swamp | 4 | Gravecrawler | 1 | Murder
    4 | Woodland Cemetary | 4 | Lotleth Troll | 4 | Rancor
    | | 4 | Slitherhead | 3 | Tragic Slip
    [/table]

That's what I was thinking, though I expect there are better choices I could have made. The card selections seem solid to me, but perhaps the amount of each could be better.

Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not that was the worst way to format that ever.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can't claim to be much of a Standard player (since I mostly play EDH and some Limited) but I feel like there's something to be gained from adding some Blood Artists to the mix. Unless I'm mistaken, they change up combat calculations as well as adding some reach. I've seen them quickly becoming backbreaking in multiples in zombie decks.

Edit: Another thing is that I'm not personally all that interested by Slitherhead so far. I understand the usefulness of a 1-drop that can help from the grave, but I feel like the slots might be better used elsewhere.

Edit2: I'd have some Mutilates on hand, if only in the sideboard.
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2012-09-30 at 04:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, Blood Artists are definitely something to consider. However, I'm not sure they're consistent enough. Simply because they rely on things dying, and things aren't always guaranteed to die. Now if it interacted with Lotleth Troll's discarding, that'd be another story, but unfortunately it doesn't synergize with the other cards in the deck very well. It's on my radar, though.

Slitherhead interests me simply because of the excellent synergy with Lotleth Troll. I think it has potential. When I can do some playtesting I'll have a much better idea of it's strengths and weaknesses.

And I'll definitely toss some Mutilates in the sideboard.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-09-30 at 04:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

-Blood Artists are great, easy 4-of. You need the reach. Don't worry about things not dying; you're an aggro deck. If they're not killing your creatures, you're using those creatures to beat them to death.
    -Grisly Salvage seems potentially good, though it might be a bit slow. Not sure on this one.
    -I'm also mixed on Slitherhead. It's nice value with Lotleth Troll, but it's also pretty slow on its own. Rakdos Cackler might be good as another one-drop, it's not a zombie, but it's a one mana 2/2.
    -You don't want Mutilate in the sideboard; wiping your board as well as theirs isn't the way you want to go in a low-curve aggro deck like Zombies. I'd just go with more midrange-ish cards like Garruk and more spot removal. Golgari Charm's a decent option if you're really worried about token swarms; some of your guys can actually live through it, and its other modes are also useful.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, alright, I'll give Blood Artist a go then. If enough people are saying it' good I'd be silly to resist.

Grisly Salvage is one card I'm leaving up to playtesting. I like it with all the Slitherheads, Dreg Manglers, and Gravecrawlers in the list, but whether or not it works well is another question. And if I were to lose the Slitherheads, the Grisly Salvages would go as well.

And I completely forgot the Charm. I'm not worrying too much about the sideboard at this point in time anyway, however. I'm more concerned with the main deck.

EDIT: Also, some input on the removal I chose and the amounts would help me a lot.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-09-30 at 05:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's hard to tell the exact amount/kind of removal you should run without knowing what the metagame's going to be like, or what your particular meta is. I'd probably go with 7-8 total, say 4 Abrupt Decay and 3-4 Tragic Slip.

11. - Top - End - #851

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I feel like I made some mistakes at the prerelease. This was my pool (I picked Izzet), and I want to know what other people would have done with it.

Spoiler
    Show

White:
    Trostani's Judgement
    Ethereal Armor
    Baazar Krovod
    Trained Caracal
    Swift Justice
    Conordia Pegasus
    Azorius Arrester

Blue:
    Bluster Squall
    Paralyzing Grasp
    Voidwielder
    Skyline Predator
    Isperia's Skywatch
    Runewing
    Doorkeeper X3
    Downsize X2
    Crosstown Courier
    Tower Drake

Black:
    Launch Party
    Daggerdrome Imp
    Mind Rot
    Destroy the Evidence
    Catacomb Slug
    Tavern Swindler
    Perilous Shadow
    Terrus Wurm
    Sewer Shambler

Red:
    Goblin Rally
    Viashino Racketeer
    Street Spasm X2
    Explosive Impact
    Electrickery
    Lobber Crew X2
    Bellows Lizard
    Traitorous Instinct
    Tenement Crasher
    Pyroconvergence
    Survey the Wreckage
    Cobblebrute
    Dynacharge X2
    Vandalblast

Green:
    Aerial Predation
    Seek the Horizon
    Axebane Guardian
    Axebane Stag
    Druid's Deliverance
    Centaur's Herald
    Chorus of Might
    Drudge Beetle

Azorius:
    Vassal Soul

Selesnya:
    Collective Blessing
    Heroes Renion
    Centaur Healer
    Common Bond
    Growing Ranks
    Sundering Growth
    Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

Golgari:
    Sluiceway Scorpion
    Rites of Reaping X2
    Korozda Guildmage

Rakdos:
    Skull Rend
    Spawn of Rix Maadi

Izzet:
    Frostburn Weird X2
    Hypersonic Dragon
    Izzet Staticaster
    Thoughtflare
    Goblin Electromancer X2
    Firemind's Foresight
    Nivmagus Elemental
    Chemister's Trick

Artifacts and Lands:
    Rakdos Keyrune
    Tablet of the Guilds
    Overgrown Tomb
    Golgari Guildgate
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Izzet Guildgate X2

The promised list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frostburn Weird (X2)
    Hypersonic Dragon
    Izzet Staticaster
    Thoughtflare
    Goblin Electromancer (X2)
    Chemister's Trick
    Tenement Crasher
    Traitorous Instinct
    Lobber Crew (X2)
    Viashino Racketeer
    Street Spasm (X2)
    Explosive Impact

Paralyzing Grasp
    Voidwielder
    Skyline Predator
    Runewing
    Doorkeeper (x3)
    Downsize (x2)

Trostani's Judgment
    Vassal Soul

Izzet Guildgate (X2)
    Needs 3 or 4 cuts, I don't really care for the curve, but you have some decent sized flyers, along with poke and mill options.

Day two prerelease:
    I grabbed Selesnya for today and got good color support; I had cards fighting for slots! Loads of populate and token cards (including removal) and they got backed up by a Martial Law and Deadbridge Goliath. I went 4-0, losing not a single game. The games were not as great as yesterday, given I got fairly low during several, but once I stabilized the board, games ended quickly.

Largest swing of the day: 30 (3 elementals & 2 centaurs)

Zombie talk:
    Falkenrath Noble costs a bit more, but he does have the 2/2 flying body; that is if you wanted to try something other than Artist.

Edit: Oh right, I cracked Vraska in my prize packs.

[3.5] Mana Mage

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    The promised list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frostburn Weird (X2)
    Hypersonic Dragon
    Izzet Staticaster
    Thoughtflare
    Goblin Electromancer (X2)
    Chemister's Trick
    Tenement Crasher
    Traitorous Instinct
    Lobber Crew (X2)
    Viashino Racketeer
    Street Spasm (X2)
    Explosive Impact

Paralyzing Grasp
    Voidwielder
    Skyline Predator
    Runewing
    Doorkeeper (x3)
    Downsize (x2)

Trostani's Judgment
    Vassal Soul

Izzet Guildgate (X2)
    Needs 3 or 4 cuts, I don't really care for the curve, but you have some decent sized flyers, along with poke and mill options.

Day two prerelease:
    I grabbed Selesnya for today and got good color support; I had cards fighting for slots! Loads of populate and token cards (including removal) and they got backed up by a Martial Law and Deadbridge Goliath. I went 4-0, losing not a single game. The games were not as great as yesterday, given I got fairly low during several, but once I stabilized the board, games ended quickly.

Largest swing of the day: 30 (3 elementals & 2 centaurs)

Zombie talk:
    Falkenrath Noble costs a bit more, but he does have the 2/2 flying body; that is if you wanted to try something other than Artist.

Edit: Oh right, I cracked Vraska in my prize packs.
    Yeah, I feel like I valued my fixing waaaay to high, and shouldn't have tried to play black at all. My deck was just trying to do way to many things.
    Thanks for the list though. I really like that list. If I had played that I might have done better.
    Last edited by The Extinguisher; 2012-09-30 at 10:11 PM.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

It's hard to tell the exact amount/kind of removal you should run without knowing what the metagame's going to be like, or what your particular meta is. I'd probably go with 7-8 total, say 4 Abrupt Decay and 3-4 Tragic Slip.
    Hm, okay, I'll take that into account.

Zombie talk:
    While a 2/2 flying body is nice, I think the increased casting cost would hurt it too much, especially in an aggro deck.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Yeah, I feel like I valued my fixing waaaay to high, and shouldn't have tried to play black at all. My deck was just trying to do way to many things.
    Thanks for the list though. I really like that list. If I had played that I might have done better.
    Black looks okay, and with your fixing it work be easier, but the removal and detain from white seem stronger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spawn of Rix Maadi
    Rakdos Guildgate
    Rakdos Keyrune
    Terrus Wurm
    Sewer Shambler

Those five would be the only black I think I would have tried to fit in, not including swamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    While a 2/2 flying body is nice, I think the increased casting cost would hurt it too much, especially in an aggro deck.
    My thought was instead of 4 Artist, go with 2 Artist and 2 Noble. The train of thought was, seeing that there was no flying in the list and that when you would be playing a 4cc creature would be about the time you need those last points of damage. By himself an Artist does no damage; you of course have scavenge to make him do damage, but that scavenge could go on other creatures.

[3.5] Mana Mage

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

The issue with Selesnya at the prereleases (which is all I was talking about, not in general limited) is that they automatically have an 8/8 token generator, which means ALL of your Populate cards can be turned on for amazing value. From there you want maybe 2 or 3 cards that can make Centaurs or Knights and 2 or 3 cards that can make Birds and you should be good to go. It doesn't take that much to make the Populate cards work for you to great extremes. The only problem you may have is in the removal department, but you get Trostani's Judgment and Avenging Arrow which are not bad and are also common. You also get Arrest at Uncommon, which is probably the best removal spell in the set.

Since you have a guild pack, it's not as hard as it seems to open either a Guildmage or a Trostani, and you don't actually NEED either for your deck to be good, they just break your deck in half. Also, the 8/8 vigilant land is a rare.

The Guild Packs ruin every attempt to analyze limited based on the prereleases. It's really hard to decide how the format goes when people have decks with 2 Skymark Rocs and 3 Avenging Arrows (among other things) or multiple copies of literally every good Rakdos common, the Keyrune, the 3/2 Unleash for 3, and the 1/2 Unleash Deathtouch. I don't think we get any relevant analysis out of pools like that, we just get to see some format warping from the Guild Packs. While you're right in that it's hard to expect a Selesnya deck to always have the bomb, when they get a guild pack with assured good chances at some of those good cards it's easier to assure them.

I'm not sure whether this format is just ridiculously powerful or whether it was mostly guild packs skewing it, but it seems like if your best build was solidly in your guild pack's color, you crushed and if it wasn't, you had no chance.

My deck was abyssmal, but I made 7th which was good for 6 packs. Not sure how I managed that, but I accept it after losing to the absurd decks I mention above. Golgari ended up being really awkward and turned into 3-color, mostly to play Rakdos Lord of Riots as a big finisher and to play any removal spells (seriously, I get no removal spells in Black and someone gets 3 Launch Parties). I did learn that Deathrite Shaman is a very good card in Limited and I could easily see it making a splash in Standard.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-30 at 11:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to put a deck together. I have a great deal of the cards already. Only missing the Ash Zealots for the rares. Later on I probably will splash Black in the deck but I don't have enough money for the Blood Crypts. Some advice for the second two drop would be nice and I am unsure of the Splatter Thugs although it does block GoST. Maybe Cryptborn Horror for a new 3 Drop

Spoiler
    Show

4x Stromkirk Noble
    4x Rakdos Cackler
    4x Ash Zealot
    4x Lightning Mauler
    4x Guttersnipe
    2x Splatter Thug
    3x Hellrider
    4x Pillar of Flame
    2x Elecktrickery
    4x Searing Spear
    4x Brimstone Volley
    21x Mountain
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Troll in the Playground

I really liked this prerelease format, though I'm disappointed that I elected to not go to the second one at the store (was interested in trying out Izzet) because I went to an unrelated meeting instead, only to discover that said meeting wasn't anywhere near as important as I thought it'd be and run into a few problems getting home, leaving me wishing I had just stayed around. Though I did save some money, I guess...then again, maybe I would have gotten some great stuff from it, like how my box contained an Abrupt Decay and a Blood Crypt (neither of which worked in my deck...but they cover a significant portion of the entrance fee).

As a fun note, I did win two games thanks to Azor's Elocutors.

Anyway, I remember all the guild boxes had these goofy little "welcome to the guild" letters. Since I was Azorius and didn't get a chance to try or really look at the others, I was wondering if anyone knew of any places where it's possible to read them?

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

My thought was instead of 4 Artist, go with 2 Artist and 2 Noble. The train of thought was, seeing that there was no flying in the list and that when you would be playing a 4cc creature would be about the time you need those last points of damage. By himself an Artist does no damage; you of course have scavenge to make him do damage, but that scavenge could go on other creatures.
    Hm, I'll think about it. Slapping Scavenge on a flier seems like an appealing idea. On the other hand, there might be better creatures to do it with if that's what I wanted. (Vampire Nighthawk anyone?) I imagine the deck could use another creature that can slip damage through. Lotleth Troll is obviously the creature of choice seeing as he's resilient and has evasion, but there are only four of them in the deck.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's been forever since I even glanced at this thread, much less posted. @.@
    I'm looking for advice, however. I got the random urge to create a Golgari Zombie list. Unfortunately I don't have any means of playtesting at the moment, so I just did the best I could while just thinking it over.

{table=head] | Golgari Zombies | 60 | Cards | |
    23 | Lands | 23 | Creatures | 14 | Spells
    3 | Cavern of Souls | 3 | Diregraf Ghoul | 2 | Abrupt Decay
    2 | Forest | 4 | Dreg Mangler | 2 | Garruk Relentless
    4 | Overgrown Tomb | 4 | Geralf's Messenger | 2 | Grisly Salvage
    10 | Swamp | 4 | Gravecrawler | 1 | Murder
    4 | Woodland Cemetary | 4 | Lotleth Troll | 4 | Rancor
    | | 4 | Slitherhead | 3 | Tragic Slip
    [/table]

That's what I was thinking, though I expect there are better choices I could have made. The card selections seem solid to me, but perhaps the amount of each could be better.

Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not that was the worst way to format that ever.
    You don't want forests as they hurt your messanger, golgari guildgates if you want more green sources. They come down tapped which is dangerous, but it is better than not tapping for black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    I can't claim to be much of a Standard player (since I mostly play EDH and some Limited) but I feel like there's something to be gained from adding some Blood Artists to the mix. Unless I'm mistaken, they change up combat calculations as well as adding some reach. I've seen them quickly becoming backbreaking in multiples in zombie decks.
    -Blood Artists are great, easy 4-of. You need the reach. Don't worry about things not dying; you're an aggro deck. If they're not killing your creatures, you're using those creatures to beat them to death.
    Actually i don't think blood artist is the way to go. They where great in the previous format, because of sack outlets like birthing pod, mortar pod, Falkenrath aristocrat and killing wave. Of all of those you only still have killing wave, since you need to be red to play the falkenrath.
    Also it gave you an edge against board wipes when playing agains Wolf run ramp, esper control and the like, but there are far fewer cheap board wipes now: Suprime verdict and bonfire are the only that really make the cut, mizzium mortars and street spasm are just too slow. And even against the few board wipes there are the deck is going to fare better since the troll can be regenerated, mangler has 3 toughness which helps agains non-miracled bonfire and you can scavenge it to make your surviving creatures bigger, and rancors helps you get the agro going with even just 1 surviving creature. Also you have golgari charm in board which will help too.

So far my zombies are going to look like this:
    Creatures:25
    4 Diregraf ghoul
    4 Gravecrawler
    3 Rakdos cackler
    4 Lothleth troll
    4 Geralf's messanger
    4 Dreg mangler
    2 Disciple of bolas

Non-creatures:12
    3 Tragic slip
    3 Abrupt decay
    4 Rancor
    2 Garruk relentless

Lands:23
    4 Cavern of sous
    4 Overgrown tomb
    4 Woodland cemetery
    11 Swamps (i might switch out two for guilgates)

Sideboard:
    2 Pithing needle
    3 Deathrite shaman
    2 Underworld connections
    1 Abrupt decay
    3 Golgari charm
    2 Naturalize
    2 Sever the bloodline

The sideboard should be changed acording to the meta.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, that was related to my concern with Blood Artist earlier. It still probably deserves some playtesting, but it is on my list of things to keep an eye on.

One question, why do you include Disciple of Bolas? There don't seem to be much in the way of good targets for the effect in this deck, aside from Dreg Mangler perhaps.

As for the forests, I know what you mean, but I'm thinking that once in a while not having three black mana by turn three would hurt me less than the guild gate slowing me down a turn or lacking a green source when I need it. I'll be keeping my eye on the mana base, though.

21. - Top - End - #861

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I really liked this prerelease format, though I'm disappointed that I elected to not go to the second one at the store (was interested in trying out Izzet) because I went to an unrelated meeting instead, only to discover that said meeting wasn't anywhere near as important as I thought it'd be and run into a few problems getting home, leaving me wishing I had just stayed around. Though I did save some money, I guess...then again, maybe I would have gotten some great stuff from it, like how my box contained an Abrupt Decay and a Blood Crypt (neither of which worked in my deck...but they cover a significant portion of the entrance fee).

As a fun note, I did win two games thanks to Azor's Elocutors.

Anyway, I remember all the guild boxes had these goofy little "welcome to the guild" letters. Since I was Azorius and didn't get a chance to try or really look at the others, I was wondering if anyone knew of any places where it's possible to read them?
    Scroll down to the bottom and they're all there as individual files: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Return_to_Ravnica

I played Azorious and had a good time with it. Lost to an Izzet deck who was a good player and had double chemister. That card is nuts if you can't find a way to do more than detain it. And lost to dem tokens which I think has the potential to be crazy. I disagree that it's because of the elementals though, they can be good, but the deck doesn't need em in limited.

Game 1 I was doing pretty well but his curve was t2 centaur, wayfaring temple, eyes in the sky, eyes in the sky, collective blessing. Lost to some big birds.
    Won Game 2 thanks to my own collective blessing forcing bad chumps and then bouncing or detaining his pair of 8/8's.
    Game 3, both my keyrune and lantern meet sundering growth so I don' hit my splash and he gets 2 more centaurs. Ouch.

I feel like the deck has a LOT of token makers at the common and uncommon slots and their only consistent weakness (IME) was in the air thanks to nothing bigger than 1/1 birds... most of the time. Plus a lot of borderline cards like safe passage, naturalize, or fog get pretty crazy when you staple 3/3 centaurs or 5/5 slimes on them.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, that was related to my concern with Blood Artist earlier. It still probably deserves some playtesting, but it is on my list of things to keep an eye on.
    I playtested it a bit, and it just didn't do what it used to do.

One question, why do you include Disciple of Bolas? There don't seem to be much in the way of good targets for the effect in this deck, aside from Dreg Mangler perhaps.
    Gravecrawler, messanger, anything equiped with a rancor.

As for the forests, I know what you mean, but I'm thinking that once in a while not having three black mana by turn three would hurt me less than the guild gate slowing me down a turn or lacking a green source when I need it. I'll be keeping my eye on the mana base, though.
    sure.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Since they posted the Achievement Cards as Arcana on the mothership, I hope they post these as well. I too wish I could read all of them, as some of them are fun to read (and add your own comments to like I did when reading the Selesnya one).

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

How many Armada wurms would you guys suggest for a populate deck?

25. - Top - End - #865
    Orc in the Playground

Three to four. No ramp go with three, with ramp go with four imo.

26. - Top - End - #866

Just fleshed out my playset of Cackling Counterpart. What are some really, really dumb things to populate? (Aside from the obvious choices like Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, Wolfir Silverheart, etc.)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Just fleshed out my playset of Cackling Counterpart. What are some really, really dumb things to populate? (Aside from the obvious choices like Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, Wolfir Silverheart, etc.)
    Tarmogoyf comes to mind. Armada Wurm. Any non-legendary Eldrazi. If you're asking about the modern meaning of dumb, then Avacyn.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-02 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Additional copies of Armada Wurm and Angel of Serenity are pretty silly things to Populate. Populating Restoration Angel pales in comparison to these. If you are looking at the most absurd things you can possibly populate, populate the biggest, most abusive things.

If you want some less mainstream answers, Goldnight Redeemer could be worth a lot of life. Any of the lords are possible options (Drogskol Captain works well because he protects the others and also works well with Phantom Captain if you want to go really deep). Dungeon Geists is a pretty good choice as well. Obviously if there's a creature that you can transform into something awesome, making a copy that can't transform could be beneficial (unless, perhaps, it is Huntmaster/Ravager of the Fells).

I think if you wanted to go all the way out of the box and onto the table then Beguiler of Wills would be really amusing. How many creatures can you steal?

Edit: Do not populate Avacyn, she'll die immediately upon seeing the token copy of herself. Indestructible is not a defense here.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-10-02 at 03:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Edit: Do not populate Avacyn, she'll die immediately upon seeing the token copy of herself. Indestructible is not a defense here.
    Ahem. "modern meaning of dumb." That post probably needs a smiley to make the joke clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

30. - Top - End - #870

Day 1 Prerelease I went Izzet, which was the most popular guild (Rakdos second). I opened up a crappy pool with Nivmagus Elemental as my pack rare and Guild Feud as my only other on-color rare. The only things going for me were my multiple Street Spasms (2), 6cmc 5 burn spell thing (2), and voidwielder (2). None of the other colors were strong enough to go into so I just splashed a little black for the +4/-4 card and relied on my promo / guttersnipe / pyroconvergence to win it for me.

Went 1-3 drop. Won the first round against Rakdos because I curved perfectly both games and rationed my removal properly, and my opponent's deck wasn't very good. Round 2 went up against Selesnya with 2 Loxodon Smiter / 2 Vitu Guildmage, tons of 3/3 tokens and populate oh my, got 0-2'd but both games were very close. Round 3 went up against Izzet, was close but ended up 1-2 as he topdecked the perfect card each time. Round 4 went against Rakdos, he had a reeeeally good deck but he had absolutely no idea how to play, first game I had to mull to 4 and kept a no-land hand but topdecked one after two turns and held his massive army at bay with my 1/2 nivmagus elemental that apparently scared him, turn 8 I had my second land but it was too late, then game 2 I mull'd to 5 and kept a good hand but got flooded out. Left the tournament pretty annoyed.

Second prerelease went Azoriusat a different store. Selesnya was the most popular followed by Rakdos. Got a sick pool with 2 Righteous Authority, JACE, and a bunch of solid commons/uncommons to fill out a UW control deck. Went 3-2, lost both games to Selesnya in large part to Vitu Guildmage, which my removal suit of Paralyzing Grasp + 2x Avenging Arrow was ill-suited to deal with. I was actually the only non-Selesnya that got over 2 wins. Also fun note, my Archon never once was able to attack in any game that I played it.

Overall I really liked the prerelease. Selesnya looks OP in this format, however. It has way too many insane cards at common/uncommon.