New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Some guys at my meta play junk tokens, it works pretty well
    (Intangible virtue, call of the conclave, selesnya charm, lingering souls, midnight haunting, trostani, thragtusk) That kind of stuff.
    Junk Tokens has actually seen some play in Standard lately. There weren't any in the top 8 at GP Auckland this weekend, but I saw some lists from the LCQs here that have a token element.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Junk Tokens has actually seen some play in Standard lately. There weren't any in the top 8 at GP Auckland this weekend, but I saw some lists from the LCQs here that have a token element.
    Hm, it appears that out of the top nine, nine are either Zombies or have Thragtusk.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Hm, it appears that out of the top nine, nine are either Zombies or have Thragtusk.
    Yeah, welcome to the Thragtusk format. For tokens, I'm looking mainly at Deck #6 - plenty of tokens there.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ettin in the Playground

How strong is the tenth deck down?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    How strong is the tenth deck down?
    That looks like it was from Sealed/Draft, not Standard. I don't know how good of a Limited deck is, and it's not applicable for Standard.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, welcome to the Thragtusk format.
    Now I wonder what sorts of obvious, heavy-handed hate cards for it they'll be spamming at us in the next block...
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now I wonder what sorts of obvious, heavy-handed hate cards for it they'll be spamming at us in the next block...
    I doubt we'll see those unless Thragtusk continues to dominate post-Gatecrash and post-"Sinker".

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't think Thragtusk is going to make it to the next block- At least, I hope Wizards is smart enough to keep it out of 2014. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Thragtusk hate in the next two sets- Some sort of anti-life gain effect like Unstable Footing, or a way to counteract the token. Because right now, the only answer to Thragtusk is to counter it.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I don't think Thragtusk is going to make it to the next block- At least, I hope Wizards is smart enough to keep it out of 2014. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Thragtusk hate in the next two sets- Some sort of anti-life gain effect like Unstable Footing, or a way to counteract the token. Because right now, the only answer to Thragtusk is to counter it.
    There's also Tamiyo, Martial Law, pre-empting it with Slaughter Games, just racing it...I'm not saying that it's not dominant, but there are ways.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Dwarf in the Playground

New card:

Slumber Dodecahedron {4}
    Artifact

Triggered abilities of creatures cannot be triggered.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

That looks like it was from Sealed/Draft, not Standard. I don't know how good of a Limited deck is, and it's not applicable for Standard.
    Ah, darn. The other decks could be useful to pull ideas from though, correct?
    One thing they made me wonder about were 3 colour decks(mainly B/G/R or U/G/W), are they viable in standard format? Also, what would be good effects to look out for on a card? Unblockable, vigilance, flying, hexproof are the main standard abilities to keep an eye out for, aye?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There's also Tamiyo, Martial Law, pre-empting it with Slaughter Games, just racing it...I'm not saying that it's not dominant, but there are ways.
    Of those, martial law and Tamiyo are both only practical in control decks (which already run Counterspells), while Slaughter Games has the same issues its predecessors have; Generally speaking, unless you're lucky enough to nab a Thragtusk while its in their hand, it doesn't affect the game state at all.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, darn. The other decks could be useful to pull ideas from though, correct?
    Sure. Also look at the top 8 from GP Auckland and decks mentioned in the Perilous Research column on dailymtg.com.

One thing they made me wonder about were 3 colour decks(mainly B/G/R or U/G/W), are they viable in standard format?
    Very; a lot of the biggest decks are three colors, usually a two-color core splashing a third. UWR aggro/control, GWb(r) Junk Rites, UWr Miracles, Jund (BGR) midrange, Bant (WUG) control/ramp in various configurations.

Also, what would be good effects to look out for on a card? Unblockable, vigilance, flying, hexproof are the main standard abilities to keep an eye out for, aye?
    It really comes down to evaluating things card-by-card. Hexproof's very good (see: Geist of St. Traft), but that doesn't mean Rubbleback Rhino is good.

EDIT:
    Of those, martial law and Tamiyo are both only practical in control decks (which already run Counterspells), while Slaughter Games has the same issues its predecessors have; Generally speaking, unless you're lucky enough to nab a Thragtusk while its in their hand, it doesn't affect the game state at all.
    Both very true, unfortunately. I imagine UWR aggro-control matches up pretty well against Thragtusk, between its counterspells and being able to race it with Thundermaw Hellkite.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2012-11-06 at 11:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

Are "Dark Ascension" and "Avacyn Restored" usable in standard still?, A lot of decks I've seen so far have a card or two from them, but only "Innistrad" is listed on the allowed sets list, does it just mean the release block rather then the specific set?
    I think I'll probably aim for a B/G/R deck for now(since I have more, and better cards for it at the moment), but wanted to find out if I could use cards from those two sets as well.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-07 at 12:33 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are "Dark Ascension" and "Avacyn Restored" usable in standard still?, A lot of decks I've seen so far have a card or two from them, but only "Innistrad" is listed on the allowed sets list, does it just mean the release block rather then the specific set?
    Yes, they're legal, as they're part of the Innistrad block. (technically the Innistrad-Avacyn Restored block, since AVR was a large set) Where did you see only Innistrad listed on the allowed sets list?

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, they're legal, as they're part of the Innistrad block. (technically the Innistrad-Avacyn Restored block, since AVR was a large set) Where did you see only Innistrad listed on the allowed sets list?
    On a card search thing I found a few days ago(lost track of the wotc thing), though looking at the rules page now, I'm not sure how I missed that i could use the whole block, I think I may just have been really tired when I last took a look.
    Any good starter/theme/event decks for that block for boosting/getting started a B/G/R deck?
    Also, what is a booster draft?
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-07 at 12:41 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Litewarior View Post
    New card:

Slumber Dodecahedron {4}
    Artifact

Triggered abilities of creatures cannot be triggered.
    On one hand I'd say that card is stupid and would never actually happen, but we've already had Grafdigger's Cage()...

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

And appetite for brains.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Bugbear in the Playground

On one hand I'd say that card is stupid and would never actually happen, but we've already had Grafdigger's Cage()...
    And how played was Grafdigger's cage? :P

I'm hoping a flame of the bloodhand reprint personally.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    And how played was Grafdigger's cage? :P
    It's not about how played it was, it's about how it's by far the most blatant and heavy-handed hate card I've ever seen.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't it mostly just an anti black or B/G artifact?(A lot of cards for black or B/G in both Innistrad and RtR have effects in the graveyard, or can be summoned from it, so it seems like more a generic anti colour card)
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It's not about how played it was, it's about how it's by far the most blatant and heavy-handed hate card I've ever seen.
    Gaze upon Teferi's Response, then and see an even more blatant hate card!

(It was an answer to Rishadan Port, if you're wondering)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-11-07 at 04:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Heh...there are so many worse things. Tsabo's Decree, from Invasion to use against the Rebels decks from Masque block; Teferi's Response, to deal with Rishadan Port; and of course old color hosers like Choke and Light of Day.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I think I have a deck set up for the local gaming night I was planning to attend in a few days. How does this look for a deck?, I don't have many cards yet, so I'm using a lot of unique ones, but it seems like it might be semi decent. It's meant to be a B/G/R deck(I've given up on the mono white or W/U deck for now, since I don’t have enough cards for it), though I am worried about not having enough red mana generators.

Creatures:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trestle Troll x1
    Corpsejack Menace x1
    Dreg Mangler x1
    Korozda Guildmage x1
    Crimson Muckwader x1
    Gore-House Chainwalker x2
    Rakdos Cackler x1
    Rakdos Shred-Freak x1
    Grim Roustabout x2
    Slitherhead x2
    Veilborn Ghoul x1
    Dark Revenant x1
    Dead Reveler x1
    Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald x1
    Ambush Viper x1
    Gatecreeper Vine x2
    Gobbling Ooze x1
    Archweaver x1
    Deadbridge Goliath x1
    Wild Beastmaster x1
    Moldgraf Monstrosity x1

Artifacts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Golgari Keyrune x1
    Rakdos Keyrune x1

Non-Creature Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rakdos's Return x1
    Golgari Charm x1
    Treasured Find x1
    Rites of Reaping x1
    Auger Spree x1
    Essence Drain x1
    Deviant Glee x1
    Disentomb x1
    Wit's End x1
    Ghoulcaller's Chant x1
    Explosive Impact x1
    Seek the Horizon x1
    Rancor x1
    Chorus of Might x1
    Spidery Grasp x1

Lands:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Izzet Guildgate x2
    Rakdos Guildgate x1
    Golgari Guildgate x1
    Forest x6
    Swamp x6
    Mountain x2

A few cards I had pondered adding/switching out other cards for are;
    Codex Shredder(forcing my opponent to discard the top card of his library each turn seems decent for 1 mana)
    Kitesail(since not many black, green or red creatures have flying naturally)
    Phyrexian Hulk(not 100% sure about this one)
    Transguild Promenade(it costs a mana, but every turn after it can be used for any type, and I could add up to three)
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

I really want to play decks that have hilarious answers to Thragtusk. "Oh, I guess I'll Traitorous Blood that, attack you, then Cloudshift it." "Oh, I guess I'll play an Evil Twin of that Thragtusk." When people start overloading on that kind of card, it's totally worth it to run crazy things like Evil Twin.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ok, I think I have a deck set up for the local gaming night I was planning to attend in a few days. How does this look for a deck?, I don't have many cards yet, so I'm using a lot of unique ones, but it seems like it might be semi decent. It's meant to be a B/G/R deck(I've given up on the mono white or W/U deck for now, since I don’t have enough cards for it), though I am worried about not having enough red mana generators.
    It feels schizophrenic and unfocused, to be honest. That comes hand in hand with a limited card pool, though, but in all honesty, that probably won't win any games in Constructed events. One thing you might consider doing, at least before you have a large enough card pool to make more focused decks, is play in Limited events, where you pay for admission, are given packs to make a deck with, and play a 3-4 round tournament with those. They're great for learning more about how the game works, you don't play against people who spent tons of money on their deck, and it's easier to make changes to improve your deck, as people can see the cards that you have available to build your deck out of and the deck you're working with.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Mind you, drafting has its own set of skills to learn, but it's still a good idea. I'd especially reccomend attending the pre-release event for Gatecrash, as sealed is a bit easier on newbies, since you only need to focus on card evaluation, not reading signals.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    It feels schizophrenic and unfocused, to be honest. That comes hand in hand with a limited card pool, though, but in all honesty, that probably won't win any games in Constructed events. One thing you might consider doing, at least before you have a large enough card pool to make more focused decks, is play in Limited events, where you pay for admission, are given packs to make a deck with, and play a 3-4 round tournament with those. They're great for learning more about how the game works, you don't play against people who spent tons of money on their deck, and it's easier to make changes to improve your deck, as people can see the cards that you have available to build your deck out of and the deck you're working with.
    I'll probably look into limited events then, since it'll probably take a while to build my deck up. Though if I remember right the gaming shop does sell individual cards, so I might be able to find a few there.
    Good cards to look out for would probably be(not exactly a deck list, more me trying to figure out what creatures fit a B/G/R deck);

Rakdos Cackler or Tormented Soul or Diregraf Ghoul as a strong 1 cmc creature
    Dark Revenant?(would grave crawler be better?)
    Maybe some of the were wolves(G/R) and vampires(B/R) from the Innistrad block?
    Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord?(seems pretty strong)
    maybe Rakdos, Lord of Riots?(would he be better in a B/R deck?) as well or in place of it
    Deathrite Shaman
    Korozda Guildmage?
    Lotleth Troll?(since it builds up fast, and can get cards with good graveyard effects in it)
    Vraska the Unseen?(since it's a B/G planeswalker, and has a potent effect)
    or Garruk, Primal Hunter, since he can swarm the field with 3/3 tokens fairly easily
    Maybe Knight of infamy as a sideboard card
    Would Shimian Specter be useful?
    Thragtusk of course, since it's very strong, though that might make it harder to find.
    Dreg Mangler

I don't really have many guesses for which non-creature spells to go for, though Rakdos's Return looks pretty powerful(x+2 cmc and deal x damage to a player, and forces them to discard x cards), as do Rancor and Deviant Glee

Any other cards to look out for?(and are any of the ones on the list significantly sub optimal?)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-08 at 12:07 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I really want to play decks that have hilarious answers to Thragtusk. "Oh, I guess I'll Traitorous Blood that, attack you, then Cloudshift it." "Oh, I guess I'll play an Evil Twin of that Thragtusk." When people start overloading on that kind of card, it's totally worth it to run crazy things like Evil Twin.
    I think it was Caleb Durwald who did rather well with an Izzet control deck and he said something like Essence Backlashing a Thragtusk was an achievement he went in wanting to accomplish (he did)
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Togath, BGR is Jund. i run Jund so I can help. what isthe goal of this deck?
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl