New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Green II

1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Little Green II

"You are beginning to sidetrack yourself here, as the issue in contention is you feeling that Jana should not be entitled to a share of the treasure. Either that or I do not. I do not see how otherwise you feel that the two of us do not deserve their own share of the treasure. If the adventurers who had saved the temple had been an adult gnome woman and a human adult male, would they not have counted as separate interested parties?

However, to address your point that you did bring up: you once again show bigotry. Where, exactly would you declare her to be safe? Perhaps her home? The place where she was neglected so thoroughly that a member of the fae enticed her to run away from home. Perhaps a respected institution like the Royal University? Eldritch abomination roamed the halls just last week, nearly killed someone before it was subdued. Perhaps a convent like your own? Think of the horrors sitting underneath your basement of which you were unaware. Had this child not thought to organize an expedition to cleanse it, how long until one of the undead horrors escaped, the night hag broke free, or perhaps more believers would have entered and completed the ritual.

I agree that in an ideal world, everyone is safe and protected, especially those unable to successfully protect themselves. This world we live in, however, is dirty, wicked, and wrong. Horrors happen to the small and weak because they are small. Death strikes down those it will long before their time. One cannot protect themselves from danger by hiding from it. One protects oneself by facing it and learning that danger may bite, but you can bite back.

Also...
    "

And on this point LG vanishes from sight, dashes behind the Sister Superior, and reappears, a crackle of flames on his breath.

"Should the night hag not have seen things my way, being buried alive alone in a forgotten dungeon would have been kind compared to the agonies it suffered before I killed it to free Jana from its curse. In the end, Jana was going to be freed from it, regardless of the cost. If it took my last breath, Jana would live. My life, my soul, my very draconic heritage. These things are less important than seeing that young woman fulfill her potential." Hearing himself say these words gave him a shock. When had he crossed the line from mentor of a potentially powerful ally into devoted servant? Why didn't he mind it? This was supposed to all be a well-crafted piece of rhetoric to not get this bigoted shrew to screw him out of a fair share of the loot.

"Forgive me, Sister Superior, for growing irate at you, but Jana, plain and simply, must be accounted her own person on this venture. Whatever her age, size, or level of development, she has achieved and survived things that I have witnessed destroy grown men. If she is not ready now to face the adult world, what more would it take?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Your speech and protective attitude towards Jana seems to indeed soften the Sister who looks down for a moment.

"You are write. Perhaps I have indeed misjudged the girl... I am glad to see though that she has a strong ally and protector despite your affiliations..." she says.

Spoiler
    Show

Ah... thats adorable :D Should I add you as a cohort to Jana instead of her to you? :D :D

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    only if you do it by setting her at my level +2 :P

nah, part of my idea here is to turn traditional "leader" and "cohort" roles on their heads. Normally, people just get cohorts as semi-expendable (at best) shields to cover weaknesses.

"I never pretended to be other than a mercenary in this for the gold who pays lip service to Tiamat due to his green dragon heritage. Doesn't mean I can't be polite to people, want what's best for Jana, and find it to be enlightened self-interest to keep the city whole and functioning."

After allowing an awkward pause, he says, "So... um, I guess this is where the sister, Jana and I go off to identify what we've found?"
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #424

"Yes that is so. Seek Jana in the infermary downstairs, the Sisters will have hopefully taken care of her injuries..."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

LG bows respectfully and does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    btw, is the ball in my court or yours to tally up all the loot from the dungeon crawl?

6. - Top - End - #426

Spoiler
    Show

Well I kinda hope you have the list of stuff you find. You had also mentioned for a long period you kept a separate list due to myth-weavers issues...

I can tell you what the last items were in the final room and what the riches were in the sarcophagus room but I dont have the rest fixed somewhere...

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ugh... I know I kept a list towards the beginning, but I forgot to update it for a while. Looks like I get to go back through the thread, find it, and work back from there.

LG goes to check on Jana and see how she's doing.

8. - Top - End - #428

Spoiler
    Show

Basically I dont have the 'random' or 'rolled' stuff.

Sarcophagus room and the stuff after that I have it.

Jana has been healed and restored and seems healthy. There is even a juice and some food next to her and she happily points you to it.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

LG gratefully devours it as he says, "So, Jana, what do you think of your first adventure as leader?"

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    treasure haul last updated... post #9 of this thread...

TEN pages of posts to search through...

at least I managed to get the loot list on this thread so I don't have to look through the last one.

LOOT:
    36] gold coins
    [28] silver
    [6] marbles made from amethyst
    (9d5)[27] gold coins and (10d12)[67] silver coins

(3d6)[14] platinum coins
    (9d8)[32] gold coins
    (14d10)[60] silver coins
    and (5d4)[14] electron coins

as well as (2d12)[9] trinkets

high priest's diary
    negative energy channeling mace

[16] gold and (5d20)[37] silver
    couple of silver holy symbols depicting the purple pyramid
    weird bloodbox thing

You can tell that you have a small fortune here... both you and Jana estimate the amount of gems and gold and platinum could net you around 15000 gold, assuming you found someone willing to buy them in such bulk quantity.

a small flask made from a weird iron like material. There is liquid in the flask. Three more just like it also happen

2 golden masks with jeweled eyes, a few platinum bracers and a scepter that radiates magic.

small box made out of corroded steel

1. A long tube of black metal.
    2. A small box of the same black metal.
    3. A bag of metallic, black cloth.

Hag's hearthstone.

that, I believe, is everythingI found. Ten pages of reading!

11. - Top - End - #431

"I think it was great. I have to admit I was very scared at times but I tried not to show it!" she says and gives you a questioning glance.

"And those two ghost children... I feel so bad that we lost them. What happened to them?"

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, sounds about right. For the magic items you can get them identified off course but how about the gems and gold stuff... will you go to an appraiser?

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    figured I'd stop by npc-mode Hagan. He offers half-price identifies. Figured I'd also get him to appraise the applicable loot while I'm at it. That'll require rp instead of just a generic "I go and do" post, but I'd like to bring Hagan back.

"You did very well. The secret to being brave isn't to be without fear but to be afraid and do anyways. You were braver than I in there. There were only three things down there that gave me pause. Not being scared nearly killed me twice. It seems I have as much to learn from you as the other way." diplomacy - (d20+24)[42]

LG was a little surprised at the ring of truth that the words had to his jaded ears. He'd expected them to ring of at least a little flattery. Surely he wasn't letting the kid make him vulnerable again? She was an amazing talent, and one of the most potentially powerful allies he could make, but surely he wasn't allowing her to get into his heart?

His musings almost distracted him from her question about the Ghostboys.

"They were attacked by the shadow demon and trapped in gems. When I freed their spirits from the gems, they faded away. Their spirits had been weakened by the demon's magic and will need several days to re-form. We can go back to find them again in a week. They should have re-formed by then. We cleared the temple of most dangers, so they should be safe until then."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    figured I'd stop by npc-mode Hagan. He offers half-price identifies. Figured I'd also get him to appraise the applicable loot while I'm at it. That'll require rp instead of just a generic "I go and do" post, but I'd like to bring Hagan back.

"You did very well. The secret to being brave isn't to be without fear but to be afraid and do anyways. You were braver than I in there. There were only three things down there that gave me pause. Not being scared nearly killed me twice. It seems I have as much to learn from you as the other way." diplomacy - (d20+24)[40]

LG was a little surprised at the ring of truth that the words had to his jaded ears. He'd expected them to ring of at least a little flattery. Surely he wasn't letting the kid make him vulnerable again? She was an amazing talent, and one of the most potentially powerful allies he could make, but surely he wasn't allowing her to get into his heart?

"They were attacked by the shadow demon and trapped in gems. When I freed their spirits from the gems, they faded away. Their spirits had been weakened by the demon's magic and will need several days to re-form. We can go back to find them again in a week. They should have re-formed by then. We cleared the temple of most dangers, so they should be safe until then."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"You did very well. The secret to being brave isn't to be without fear but to be afraid and do anyways. You were braver than I in there. There were only three things down there that gave me pause. Not being scared nearly killed me twice. It seems I have as much to learn from you as the other way." diplomacy - (d20+24)[35]

15. - Top - End - #435

Jana seems happy at your flattery but even happier when you mention going back for the ghost kids.

"That would be great! Poor them... they managed to stay sane despite being trapped there with all those monsters in that horrible place!"

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

"At least now it will be easier to stay sane. What say you, the priestess, and I, go and get our loot identified and appraised?" Assuming she agrees, LG will have the priestess help him collect it all up and head over to this up and coming merchant he's heard about in Midtown. A "Mr Erbaur" who apparently has a very beautiful receptionist and is somehow making a thriving business out of undercutting the competition. He'd love to figure out what this guy's scam is. Still, he's heard he offers half-price identifications that are legit.

17. - Top - End - #437

The girl agrees and you all set off to Midtown to get the items identified.

As you arrive there and start piling the items on the table in front of the pretty receptionist you reach the bundle of items from the Black Cyst.

You take out the long black tube and all is well.

You take out the metallic cloth bag and you basically can see that its a small bundle of gems. There are to be precise 333 gems ((hint: the 333 eyes of Tharizdun)) of which 3 are magical and (2d4)[7] are among the largest gems you have ever seen or heard off. The rest are an assortment of precious and semi-precious gems.

Lastly you take out the box and ... need to roll 10 fortitude saves.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    eek!

fort save - (d20+13)[26]
    fort save - (d20+13)[19]
    fort save - (d20+13)[32]
    fort save - (d20+13)[33]
    fort save - (d20+13)[33]
    fort save - (d20+13)[21]
    fort save - (d20+13)[27]
    fort save - (d20+13)[31]
    fort save - (d20+13)[26]
    fort save - (d20+13)[31]

LG is starting to truly hate cults. So far they're 2/2 with trying to screw him over and damn his soul.

19. - Top - End - #439

The little box reacts when it comes to contact with heating generated by your hand in this non-frozen environemnt.

Two dozen needles pop up and are thrown all over the room. Only a couple manage to pierce your tough skin enough for the poison to affect you and you still resist most of it.

The receptionist and the priestess also get a few stuck in them and they yelp in pain but none of them die. Jana is pretty much saved as she is standing behind you.

You suffer (1d6)[2] Con damage and will need to take 1 save in one minute or suffer the same.

Given the commotion the man known as Hagan Erbauer shows up from the backroom.

"Whats all this commotion then? Last time someone attacked me in my own property he did not live to tell the tale!"

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

"I apologize Mr Erbaur. Apparently, one of the items I recently recovered from a cult's repository was given a trap not meant to be activated until it had left the temple. Stupid mad cultists." diplomacy - (d20+24)[32]

for save - (d20+12)[16]

Spoiler
    Show
    ... I got lucky there.

if that had gone poorly instead of very well, we could have been facing an insta-killed LG

21. - Top - End - #441

Spoiler
    Show

Cults can be that way... you know putting lethal poison on sacred relics that must not be removed from their location!

But its not all CON poison... they have a mix of all... to gimp people severely :D

In 2nd edition it was save or die poison but thats a bit retarded...

He laughs.

"Ah yes. Had my share of those though I rarely got harmed actually..." he says with self satisfaction.

"So I see you have quite a haul there. Would you like me to identify the magical items for you? Its 50 gp for each. Seeing as you seem to also have a significant number of interesting stones and trinkets I can also appraise those for you..."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

"If you would be so kind, I would greatly appreciate that."

23. - Top - End - #443

"Give me an hour or two and come back and I should have everything identified and appraised" he says and assuming you return he hands you a manifest.

Spoiler
    Show

Doing it in a spoiler for ease of access. I am splitting gold and jewels from magical stuff.

LOOT:

1)

36 gold coins
    28 silver
    6 marbles made from amethyst = 6 x 25gp = 150 gold
    27 gold coins and 67 silver coins

14 platinum coins
    32 gold coins
    60 silver coins
    and 14 electron coins

as well as 9 trinkets = 9 x 15gp = 135gp

16 gold and 37 silver
    couple of silver holy symbols depicting the purple pyramid = 2 x 50 = 100gp

You can tell that you have a small fortune here... both you and Jana estimate the amount of gems and gold and platinum could net you around 15000 gold, assuming you found someone willing to buy them in such bulk quantity.

2 golden masks with jeweled eyes = 2 x 1020 = 2040 gold,
    a few platinum bracers = 8 x 150 = 1200 gold

Total value: 18958.65 gold

2)

high priest's diary : Historical Value, can be sold to temple of Boccob or kept as a record.

negative energy channeling mace : +1 profane, profane burst mace (i.e. +3 weapon) = 18k market value

weird bloodbox thing = Unlocked and at its full potential the box operates as a Daerns Instant Fortress (DMG page 274, 55k market value) BUT it requires a sacrfice of blood every day to function (every day you have it summoned you take 5 hit points of damage, this damage CAN be healed). It also detects as an 'evil' item.

a small flask made from a weird iron like material. There is liquid in the flask. Three more just like it also happen = 3 of the flasks are potions of longevity, 1 of them has been corrupted due to time and has the opposite effect.

a scepter that radiates magic = flesheater scepter (MIC) , 12k Market Value

1. A long tube of black metal

Wand of Force (30k Market Value)
    Spoiler
    Show

WAND OF FORCE: Although it is rumored that the concept of
    such a wand has taken many forms, the one which has been
    popularized, so to speak, is a tri-functional device. Only the
    use of the third function requires considerable operator
    knowledge. Primarily, a wand of force enables the wielder to
    cause a shaft of nearly invisible, blue-white energy to spring
    forth from itstip.Thisshaftextends4'and isequal ineffecttoa
    +5 sword (bastard) with respect to both hit probability and
    damage inflicted. It cuts stone at 5 inches per cut, metal at .05
    inches per cut. This usage expends 1 charge per turn.
    Secondly, a wand of force can be employed to create a wall of
    force duplicating the fifth level magic-user spell of the same
    name (q.v.) as if cast by a 10th level magic-user. This function
    expends 1 charge per force wall created, and a single usage
    per round is possible. Thirdly, a wand of force can be
    employed to create a nearly invisible plane of energy which
    performs exactly as if it had been created by casting of a
    Bigby's Forceful Hand spell (9.v.). The wand user must
    actually be a magic-user in order to activate this function and,
    regardless of his or her level, one of the various Bigby's
    Hand/Fist spells must be recorded for study (not necessarily
    for casting) in the spell books of the wand wielder. Use of the
    third function expends one-half of a charge every round.
    Fighters of all types are able to utilize the primary and
    secondary functions of the wand. In addition to its normal
    means of being recharged by a magic-user, the device can also
    draw sufficient energy to regain a single charge by being
    touched to any of the following:

BIGBY'S HAND/FIST manifestations
    MORDENKAINEN'S SWORD manifestation
    WALL OF FORCE
    Touching with the wand acts as if a disintegrate spell were
    cast, destroying the spelVmahifestation instantly and drawing
    power equal to one charge into the wand.

2. A small box of the same black metal

Cube of Force = 62k Market value

3. A bag of metallic, black cloth = contains the 333 eyes of Tharizdun:

3 are beads of force (3k market value each)
    9 cost 4000 gold each = 36k
    the rest cost between 20 and 50 gold for a total of 11k

Hag's hearthstone = 10 uses of +2 resistance bonus on a save (used automatically). 1800 gold if sold

Hagan asks for 500 gold for identifying 10 magical items and then an additional 500 for the appraising of so many goods.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

LG thanks him and pays him from the loot pile before splitting it.

He consults Jana and the priestess: "Now then, as to the magical items, what are we taking where with whom?"

25. - Top - End - #445

Spoiler
    Show

Sincere apologies for the long delay. Was sent on a long and exhaustive business trip back home so was stuck between work and family with little time for anything else.

"The Sisters would be interested on the fortress item... it would provide an instant location for a new convent and allow us to expand... but other than that I do not think we need anything particular from the magic items so if you want them you can pay off their value or we can sell them..."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

"Then, with that in mind, I think it simplest if we divide up the items into thirds and try to get as close as possible to equal values for everyone, then we even out the remainder with cash. Sound fair to you?"

27. - Top - End - #447

"Yes I am in agreement" responds the sister and Jana also is more than happy with this solution.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

18958.65 gold

Priestess's Loot:

potion of longevity
    55k market value: Daerns Instant Fortress - 5 hp/day to summoner, evil item

Jana's Loot:

potion of longevity
    high priest's diary - what is the value?
    30k Market Value Wand of Force

Greenwing's Loot:

potion of longevity
    18k market value +1 profane burst mace
    12k Market Value flesheater scepter
    potion of anti-longevity - what is the value?

After dividing up the items as above, LG will add coinage to even out the market values of the items and then split the rest of the gold evenly. If there is a remainder, he'll give it to the priestess.

Spoiler
    Show
    what is the effect of a potion of longevity?

Spoiler
    Show
    WAND OF FORCE: Although it is rumored that the concept of
    such a wand has taken many forms, the one which has been
    popularized, so to speak, is a tri-functional device. Only the
    use of the third function requires considerable operator
    knowledge. Primarily, a wand of force enables the wielder to
    cause a shaft of nearly invisible, blue-white energy to spring
    forth from itstip.Thisshaftextends4'and isequal ineffecttoa
    +5 sword (bastard) with respect to both hit probability and
    damage inflicted. It cuts stone at 5 inches per cut, metal at .05
    inches per cut. This usage expends 1 charge per turn.
    Secondly, a wand of force can be employed to create a wall of
    force duplicating the fifth level magic-user spell of the same
    name (q.v.) as if cast by a 10th level magic-user. This function
    expends 1 charge per force wall created, and a single usage
    per round is possible. Thirdly, a wand of force can be
    employed to create a nearly invisible plane of energy which
    performs exactly as if it had been created by casting of a
    Bigby's Forceful Hand spell (9.v.). The wand user must
    actually be a magic-user in order to activate this function and,
    regardless of his or her level, one of the various Bigby's
    Hand/Fist spells must be recorded for study (not necessarily
    for casting) in the spell books of the wand wielder. Use of the
    third function expends one-half of a charge every round.
    Fighters of all types are able to utilize the primary and
    secondary functions of the wand. In addition to its normal
    means of being recharged by a magic-user, the device can also
    draw sufficient energy to regain a single charge by being
    touched to any of the following:

BIGBY'S HAND/FIST manifestations
    MORDENKAINEN'S SWORD manifestation
    WALL OF FORCE
    Touching with the wand acts as if a disintegrate spell were
    cast, destroying the spelVmahifestation instantly and drawing
    power equal to one charge into the wand.

29. - Top - End - #449

Potion of anti-longevity is a cursed item. It doesnt -have- a market value.

The effect of a potion of longevity is that it grants the user 3d10 extra years of life. The effect of the potion with the opposite results is that it makes the drinker 3d10 years older...

The high priest diary doesnt have a fixed market value. Its an item you can ask the Church of Boccob a price on if they want to keep it. Its not as if it has information that can be used today... its more as a historical document for a historian.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, priestess, looks like we've run into a problem in that two of our items don't really have a market value. Taking your headmistress' demands that all be divided exactly, how would you propose we handle this issue? I would not have it said I cheated the Sisters of Salvation out of their fair share."