New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether

Yes but you wouldn't know since you were shown out a different exit than the one they came in.

Arryl and Erin, make a spellcraft check.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran searches the library with Arryl.

'I have tae tell ye, Arryl, I'm nae sure it was exac'ly Sharelorne - the Oracle said it slightly differently. Apparently in t'old times it was a great centre o' learning'.

'As fer the others, San Jun is the name o' the woman we're like tae come up against. A powerful magic-user'.

'Arctus is the man the Oracle thinks I am - the Arbiter'.

'Oh, and...while we're here...I'd value a list o' lands which practice slavery. It could be a lead tae help me find me family'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search Shaerlorne (1d20+1)[15]
    Search San Jun (1d20+1)[15]
    Search Arctus/Arbiter (1d20+1)[8]
    Search Land of the shifting sands (1d20+1)[13]
    Search Slavery (1d20+1)[16]
    Search Hawk-dog (1d20+1)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well we'll just have to do our best at finding out everything we can. I prefer to take a bit more time on my studies, so we might have to stay into the night." Arryl says with a smile.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on all the search checks to get 21. Spellcraft is not among my skills haha
    INT check (1d20+1)[20]
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

After hours of searching, you locate a set of books entitled "The Rise of the Destroyer." This 5 book set seems to be a detailed history of a thirty year period. Within in, it details how the wizards of ancient times sent forth young mages from the floating towers of Shaerlorne to acquire magics long lost to them from the first wizard war. One of these mages, a young woman, found herself trapped inside the mazes of the black sands.

Coming finally across a wizards keep, she entered only to find it empty of anything save a book. Years passed, and the young woman finally returned, twisted by evil from the book. Using armies summoned from other worlds, she renamed herself San-Jun, and set about conquering all the world.

All was dark. Her armies were unstoppable. Worse yet, after every battle, San-Jun would walk the fields, and the dead would rise up and swell her armies numbers. It was not long before all the peoples left found themselves taking refuge in the land of Serazi. There, the high cliff faces of the Taspa Mountains caused any army wishing to invade to funnel through three narrow passes where a small band of men could hold off armies for weeks.

Even so, San-jun broke through. Her armies poured through the mountains like a dark river. Then the Archmagi of the Silver Tower unleashed their final weapon.

One man, Arctus Va'areal Paretha. Using the magics entusted to him, Arctus led his troops into battle against the Destroyer one last time. It was said that the darkness was pierced by golden sunlight to bathe Arctus and is men, and shield them from the orcs and undead. His small band was unstopable. They carved their way to San-Jun herself, and Arctus fought San-Jun herself for the world.

The fight was fierce, but in the end, Arctus Paretha, using the five magics of Judgement, sealed San-Jun and her armies into the land of the black sands, and banished it to another realm. Men cheered his name, and raised him up. The wizards congratulated the Arbiter, as they called him from then on.

Noone knows what happened to the Arbiter after the wars end. He vanished, the man who had become king of Serazi, and of the Elfhames. He was never seen on the face of Arret again. They say that if the Destroyer were ever to return, the magics of Judgement would rebirth him, and the Arbiter would ride once more to save the world.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

To the dwarf:
    "Well, we're only in the planning stages right now. A scout craft would do fine. Information is the key to both survival and victory. I must admit, I'm not skilled enough to decipher the drawings you've been making, but a creative mind can be sharp mind. I'd like you to come with us and meet the captain.

To the gnome:
    We wanted to weaponize spells, put them in the hands of our crew. Nothing fancy or world-shattering, maybe just a lightning projector, or something that spits fireballs.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran reads the book with Arryl.

Hmm...this is very similar tae much o' what the Oracle told me. The detail on how the war was fought is new.

The land o' the black sands is clearly a treacherous place, if it's corruption could produce San Jun.

The use o' Undead - this reminds me o' what Rok said about the surface. We'll have tae be prepared tae face that.

Anyhow, this explains somethin' o' the people o' Serzai's behaviour.

I wonder who the Archmagi o' the Silver Tower were, and what the magics o' Judgement were...whatever they were they didn't solve the problem...just delay it'.

'Hmm, let's make a note o' this Arryl.

Find Rok, and gather the crew tonight. We set sail at daybreak tomorrow. I'll go back tae the Lady's Gambit and see if Maia's found anyone tae join the crew

Oh, and tomorrow we'll have tae gather the casters and see what defences we have prepared against undead. After breakfast, we'll run gunnery drills'.

Kieran leaves the library, and leaves the Palace, walking through the town back to the ship.

On the way back he passes a tavern. Light pours out of it's doors and windows in the gathering gloom. There's the sound of laughter and music.

I should probably go in and see if there're any crew in there, and check on 'em. Have a beer or a whisky...no, no! I mus'nae! Somethin's wrong, these people say the fate o' the world depends upon me. I mus'nae break. I mus' be strong.

Kieran stands outside and bangs his fist upon the wall.

Alera! Where are ye! If I could only see yer face one more time... I want tae hold me wife, me flesh and blood wife, not that eldritch lake spirit mockery.

I dinnae want tae be the Chosen one. I jus' wanted tae see me family and protect me crew'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save (1d20)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran summons his resolve, and heads back to the Lady's Gambit, keeping a look out for Maia.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+1)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

"'Och. Ah course you'll be wantin tha'." said the dwarf. "He very well knows the finer points of Aetherionautics. Aye, I'll meet yer cap'n. Where do ya be berthed?"

The gnome still seems off put. "I see. So you want to weaponize spells, eh? And you don't want the device to explode? Oh, it's for your ship? I don't see how that would work."

Kieran arrives at the Lady's Gambit feeling rather worn after learning some of what has been thrust upon him. He arrives to find no one save some of the old crew aboard.

"Orders, Captain?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl walks out with the captain. "Aye sir." Then he walks through the town gathering the crew and ordering them back to the ship.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

'We'll set sail come the dawn. I'll stand watch fer the next two bells. Yer're relieved, better get some rest'.

Kieran stands next to the mast, counting the crew back in, brooding in the gathering murk.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

To the gnome:
    Very well then. I wish you luck in your future endeavors, but I don't think you would do well on our ship

To the dwarf:
    I think we might have a place for you on our ship. If you would follow me, I can introduce you to the captain.

Spoiler
    Show
    I realized a while back I completely forgot about the healers.

Discord Tag #4097

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Day winds on into afternoon, and begins to fade into dusk.

The crew finds their ways home, and all gather aboard in preparation for departing the next morning.

Maia returns to the Gambit with a dwarf. The dwarf turns to Kieran with a grin peeking through his finely trimmed and braided beard.

"I'm Theroge Stoneforge. I must say, it is indeed good to be on a ship again, but could you kindly direct me to your captain. I've got some business with him."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

'Evening Maia'.' says Kieran as she comes aboard.

Kieran replies to the dwarf 'Why aye? And what would be yer business with the Capt'n?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

"I, sir, am an engineer. This young lass here," he getures to Maia. "Informs me you are in need of someone with my skillset. I am here to offer my services to your captain. Now, where can find 'im?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

'Ye've found him'.

Kieran sticks out a hand.

'Kieran Swiftsure, Capt'n o' the Lady's Gambit. Sorry if I was a bit mysterious there. Our last Capt'n was assassinated, and I'm anxious t'avoid the same fate.

So, ye say ye've experience aboard ship before?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf leans back and belly laughs, the sound booming out across the deck. "I cannae believe I fell for tha' old trick. That slip of a girl sent you a message ahead did she? Tellin' ya to pull one over on me?" He is still chuckin as he goes on.

"Aye, I've dun a fair amount o' travelin'. I settled here in Serazi to help wit' the rebuilding of a few villages after a Magistorm blew over the southern half o' the the island. Och, tha' was a piece a work, that was. Though it did give me the chance to meet this one wee lass that would bring tears to yer eye."

The dwarf gets serious as he rubs his hands together. "But on to business. I was tol' you needed a ligh' scout ship fer a reconnisance? I can tell you, somethin' like this, I don' know if it can be done, but I am willin' to try. It won't be cheap either. Not my pay, that's more 'er less standard Aetherman pay. It'll be research, parts, and construction, tha's where the cost is."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm a fair hand with metals, woods, and the like Sir Dwarf. If I can be of any assistance in the crafting or planning let me know."

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran lets out a laugh - the first in a long time - and stretches out a hand.

'Nay, it was jus' a happy chance. Sounds like ye've plenty of experience as an aetherman and an engineer. Since Maia vouches fer ye, welcome aboard. What name would ye like me tae enter intae the ship's register?'

Light reconaissance aircraft? Sounds as if Maia's been improvisin''.

'Well, we've some coin tae spend on the research, but I suspec' it'll be a long project'.

Kieran notices Erin.

'Aye, this is our weaponsmith, Erin. Perhaps ye could show the gentleman about the Gambit, get him acquainted wit' the crew, and set up a berth fer him, an' get him set up so the two o' ye can get tae work tomorrow on the research'.

Kieran mutters to Maia.

'Good work, any luck with healers?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

"Theroge Stoneforge." He sees Erin approach, and reaches out a hand. As the two of them walk off, Kieran can hear him say, "Tell me, laddie, you ever hear o' a ship called the Dawnsaber? Ahh, the stories I coul' tell ye..."

Night has fallen, and a messenger arrives. He addresses Kieran. "Lord Arbiter? The Magister bids you a fair evening, and regrets to say he cannot see anyone at this time, however, he bid me give you this."

He places a scroll into your hand, then bows deeply and leaves. The scroll is a very old piece of parchment. It has been sealed with purple wax, and bears a signet of twin lightning bolts meeting at their points with a star between them.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
    'Good work, any luck with healers?'
    I found two likely candidates. I felt it prudent to show this potential recruit to the the ship before talking to them.

Discord Tag #4097

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran nods.

'I'm sure ye judged best. If they're competent, bring 'em aboard, and we'll hire both. We've over forty men, we could use a couple of healers jus' tae pull splinters. Make sure they know how tae do that - we don't want 'em fainting durin' their first sky battle - the splinters always surprise the new ones. I fear we'll likely see some action on this voyage'.

Kieran smiles at Maia.

'Though I dare say ye'll be glad of a chance tae let yeself go'.

Kieran checks to see which of the crew have returned, and to see if there are any missing.

'Rok! Where are ye lad, I need ye!'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

The scroll, as you open it, reads,

"Arbiter, I apologize for not being able to see you in person. However, circumstances demand our not meeting for now. A word of caution, Arbiter.

Do NOT fight should you encounter the Enemy. They will far outnumber you, and your death will serve nothing at this juncture. Therefore, my advice: Flee. Run away, save yourself.

I wish I could offer you more advice, but alas I have none to give.

Send word to me when you next arrive in Serazi. We will have matters to discuss.

Magister Lowen Darius"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so tired o' this land, with it's enigmatic Oracles, double tongued Kings, obdurate servants, and now reclusive wizards!

Ah well, it will be good to take a measure of the Destroyer and her nature. Then we'll ken well what we're up against.

Kieran takes roll call of the crew, making sure that they're all back. Then he turns in for the night, planning a gun drill for the morning.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Dawnsaber? I haven't heard of it, but that should come as no surprise. I've only been on this ship a couple of weeks and this is the first ship I've been on. You should tell me some of those stories, I can see from the twinkle in your eye that they must be great. I'd offer to tell some of my own, but I have none to tell."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-10-02 at 04:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

"Och, she was a good ship. Capn' Thanick go' us ou' o' more tigh' spots than I coul' ever think possible. I cannae say t' this day how we got anyway from some o' the fierce beast that roam the Aether down south. I ken recollect the day we was fleein' a pod o' Aethersquid. They was each a' big a'a house.

"We fired off all our cannon, all the harpoons, e'erthing at it. Even Panto, the gnomish mage we had wi' us a' the time, was ou' o' spells. 'cept one."

The dwarf laughs again as he recalls the tale. "Now, he told us all to stand bach, as he needed some space. Then he started growin. And growin, and growin. Soon, 'nough he was a' big as the ship. He started wrestlin' the beasties, righ' there in the middle o' the Aether. He weren' in too much danger rom it, since we was above this little isle at the time, but the sight o' it."

He was still lughing as he kept going. "And then the spell wore off, with him still o'erboard. He just managed to grab a rope that had come off the lashin's to the ship, but we could nae haul him up, the rope were too far down. So we had to land the boat on the next isle over, to have enough room. Now, this isle had a wee little tavern on it. And shore 'nough there was two elderly gent drinking outside o' it. They witnessed the whole battle, and after we landed, told us that if we woul' kindly, 'stop hallucinatin' in their general direction' they would consider it a kindness."

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome back from our little break, everyone. Shall we move on then?
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2012-10-07 at 11:32 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

"That was a thrilling tale sir. I wish I had sorties half so thrilling."

OOC
    Fine by me

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran catches Erin's comment as he walks past on his way to his cabin.

'Argh, I hope ye never have cause tae regret tha' wish, lad. We're chartin' a perilous course in the morn'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf keeps walking down the corridor still laughing, as he finishes the tale.

"The cap'n comes out, an' says, 'Panto, ye did good today. But next time, use the spell on someone holdin' a pointy stick.'"

He bends over, laughing so hard you can feel it in the planks of the deck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't believe I forgot the last bit of that.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

29. - Top - End - #479
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rok

*The large man takes a little while to rouse from his spot in the hold, and the fact that the crewman who had taken it upon himself wouldn't come closer than need be to poke at the large beast with a gaffe didn't help.*

*After a few minutes of tossing and turning, he finally growls irritably at the man and stands, waving off the pointy stick with a yawn.*
    "Ahm up! Am up. No more poke!"

*With a wild shake of his massive head, he hauls himself up onto the deck and looks around for a moment before calling out to the captain.*
    "Capt'n? Capt'n! Burdie saids capt'n want Rok."

*Reaching out to lift a single water barrel to his mouth, he takes a few large swallows before setting the barrel down with a hefty sigh.*

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Maia slips off the boat, returning to the bar where she last saw the healers. She comes up to the bartender, and pulls out a piece of silver. She runs it through her fingers so it catches the light and gleams. The human female and half-elf male I was conversing with earlier, any idea where they live?

Discord Tag #4097