New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1498
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Thorn In The Hand IC

"Of course," Eleanora said with a smile as she rose to help Raif with his armor. "So what phrases do you know?" She asked as she began unbuckling his armor.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

'Yes Drayner, that is a good point. Let us know as soon as you get the amulet working - our elven friends have news for the council as well.'

Raif chats with Elenora.

'Well, m'Lady, I know 'golog' is elf and 'shakutarbik' can mean dwarf, so I think 'the elf helps the dwarf' would be something like 'krizet golog shakutarbik'.... Is that the correct word order? Verb, subject, object? Then the adjectives precede the noun as in common'.

'If I were introducing myself 'Kezan kartok zirdreki Raif Clearsight', 'ezan das zagul?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Raif's going for: I am Raif Clearsight, the warrior priest. What is your name? (Kezan and ezan both being parts of the verb 'to be')

'Bezen geduki gezlikt' <cough> sorry, 'geslitz'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aiming for 'I like eating horseflesh'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Verossa has the language skills of a xenophobic herring; but doesn't want to be left out. "I believe somebody told me once that "Hoperkraftu no watashi shrecklichheit lampryan" means "please direct me to the coach station". But the person concerned died horribly six hours later, so I was never able to revise." She puts her back against a wall, her glaive across her knees. "From a practical standpoint, the only word you need for Orcish is "aaargh", which means, "hit me again". Or so from mine own observation, seems to be the case".

4. - Top - End - #1174

GreenSorcererElf

"Oh, I've studied orcs somewhat in my day." Halabur bursts into the conversation eagerly. "It turns out that if they carry a sharp weapon--rather than a blunt--then it most assuredly means they're well educated. However their downfall is they are prone to using their intellect to 'debate strenuously' with the civilized races."
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-02-23 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

'Hoperkraftu no watashi shrecklichheit lampryan' Raif recites carefully...

'no watashi? Erm...are you sure that's Orcish?'

Then as Raif listens to Halabur.

'Ah, that would explain why 'kolboz' can mean cudgel, or argument, and 'ogrodik' means bloody or persuasive...that's an interesting insight, thank you Halabur'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

6. - Top - End - #1176

Eleanora listened intently to the conversation taking place around her, a small smile creeping its way across her face.

"I don't think that ' no watashi' is in Orcish, Verossa," The dame said. "But you may be thinking of 'rakh tash,' which is a superlative form of description of oneself. It sort of means 'best me,' or 'most honorable me.' There is also no word for please in the Orcish language, but the word 'rakh' accommodates for it by implying deservedness. So the phrase 'Hoperkraftu rakh tash shrecklichheit lampryan' would be 'direct [the most worthy] me to [the place] where carts are."

"The interesting thing about Orcish," Eleanora continued, "Is that it is based on implications. There are not that many words in the Orcish language, so each one carries multiple connotations. Context is key."

"But your syntax is excellent!" She said, beaming at Raif. "Your pronunciation could use a little work; you should speak from the back of your throat to make your words more guttural, and you want to slur them together a little more. But really, you're doing a marvelous job, especially considering your knowledge has been solely from books."

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

'Thank you m'Lady!' Raif beams a rare genuine smile.

'I was particularly worried about the pronounciation'.

Raif tries correcting himself, speaking from further back in the throat - aiming to make his sounds slightly more guttural.

After practising for a bit with Elenora, and Halabur and Verossa, if they stick around, Raif speaks up.

'Well, thank you very much for your help. It is getting late, though, so I think I'd best turn in if I'm to be in any shape for tomorrow. Please wake me for the third watch'.

Raif casts a mending on his armour, to repair any minor scuffs and wear.

'I've never cast so much as I have today. It has given me a bit of a headache...'

Raif gets ready for bed. Sitting cross-legged on his bedroll, Raif prays silently for a few minutes, hands clasped together and eyes closed. Then Raif quietly goes to sleep on the cave floor, near the back, using his pack as a pillow.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-02-24 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

You all settle down for the night on the dusty floor of the cave.
    It's a peaceful night except for the noise of sleeping horses, the squeaking of rodents and dripping of water.
    The watches pass by without any problems. The only thing seen is a few nocturnal birds out hunting, or a few other creatures out grazing while it's relatively safe to do so without troops passing.

In the grey light of dawn, there is a very soft bubbling noise coming from the pool at the back of the cave.

**Listen and search checks for those awake on the 3rd watch.**

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

After he's awakened for the third, Raif carefully dons his armour, with a little help from Rochenion, stows his gear, and takes a small drink of water. Then Raif carefully takes station in the cave, occasionally sitting near the cave mouth to check the approaches.

Listen (1d20+4)[21]
    Search (1d20+2)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Maiali sits his watch out, but his eyes seem unfocused, far away. He seems to be deep in thought, fighting an internal conflict as his expression shifts from time to time.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20+6)[14]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[12]
    Last edited by Simba; 2013-02-28 at 02:41 AM.
    Act well before thinking!

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Both Raif and Rochenion hear the bubbling sound, and once informing Mailali of it, the three of you make it to the pool of water without any problems.

**Do any of you have a torch or anything that gives off light? Because as I said, it's pitch black in the back of the cave.**

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

On hearing a strange sound, Raif draws next to Rochenion, then Mailali and whispers quietly;

'Wake the others'.

Raif moves to Elenora, and gently attempts to rouse her, whispering

'M'Lady, 'ware'. whilst putting a finger over his lips to sign for quiet. Then Raif does the same for Verossa, Halabur, and Drayner, if no-one else gets them up first.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Watashi no chikubi wa yorokobi o bakuhatsu" mutters Verossa as she resumes consciousness. Then, as she realises her Orcish is probably so flawed she might as well be asking for a small bucket and spade, just pulls herself up and prepares to hit something. "Don't some of us have Everburning Torches or somesuch? I'm pretty sure I have. There are downsides to fighting in complete darkness, number one is that you're fighting in complete darkness"

14. - Top - End - #1184

Eleanora bolted upright, her sword half-unsheathed, when she realized that it was Raif who had woken her. Calming down slightly, she released the grip on her blade. The dame was about to ask Raif what was the matter, but upon seeing his sign for silence, decided to remain quiet.

As the cleric went about waking the other members of the party, Eleanora quietly gathered her gear, leaving herself unarmored for the sake of celerity.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eleanora has an unlit hooded lantern, in case it's necessary.
    No armor means AC 12, which is from her shield.

Listen: (1d20)[9]
    Spot: (1d20)[2]

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ogre in the Playground

As Raif wakes Drayner, he whispers quietly.

'Your torch, if you please, my friend'.

Raif cups a hand to his ear, to indicate listening.

Raif points towards the back of the cave, and starts sneaking up on the bubbling sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

16. - Top - End - #1186

GreenSorcererElf

"Mmm?" Halabur asks as he's roused from sleep by the activity in the cave. "I've got a sunrod," he whispers as he begins rummaging through the pack and desperately trying to get his eyes get used to the darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I'm taking the initiative here and assuming I was sleeping on the other side of Drayner. May as well make use of those pointed ears.

But on a more serious note, I have a racial ability to cast Dancing Lights once a day, would that be something I ought to do now?

Halabur kept rummaging through the pack until he came up with a bright idea. Using his inherent racial abilities, he summoned a set of glowing orbs near the edge of the pool, illuminitating the area.
    Last edited by Arranis Thelmos; 2013-03-02 at 08:39 AM.
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif moves towards the source of the sound, motioning Minserien to watch the cave mouth.

Move silently (1d20)[4]

Spoiler
    Show
    Think I take a penalty for wearing full plate as well...

Raif's armour clanks loudly as he moves forward, and he bangs it loudly against the rocky walls of the cave.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-03-03 at 06:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

As your eyes adjust again to the soft glow of the floating globes, you can see the pool slowly bubbling. Small, barely visible puffs of steam rising off the surface.

In the depths of the pool, through the screen of small bubbles, you see the glint of metal half covered in silt and slime.

19. - Top - End - #1189

The dame cocked her head slightly as she examined the shining metallic object hidden beneath the water. Slowly, she crept toward the steaming pool, before removing an arrow from her quiver. With great caution, she dipped the arrow point-first into the bubbling water, trying to reach the mysterious object.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Eleanora:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dip the arrow all the way to the fletching, but still cannot touch the tip to the object
    As your hand gets nearer to the surface of the water, you feel no heat, even though the water appears to be at a very, very gentle simmer.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

'M'Lady? It might be prudent to step back from the water...'

Raif casts Detect Magic, and tries to recall if he's ever heard of anything like this before.

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+3)[11]

'I must say, I feel most...uneasy. What is this, and why has it begun to react only now? I wonder if we might be safer leaving the caves'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The water doesn't show any signs of being magical, though the bottom of the pool gives off a very gentle glow.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

There is some trace of magic - probably whatever that thing is at the bottom of the pool'.

Raif takes a couple of steps back from the water's edge, then glances back to check that Minserien's covering the cave mouth.

'I suppose the question is, can anyone swim, and of those who can, does anyone want to risk retrieving...whatever it is'.

'I suppose it likely has some connection, either with the peculiar thing we found in the firepit, or with the people who have been camping here...or both'.

'I think, given the possibility that what is here may be Covenant in origin, that we should investigate, but unfortunately'
    Raif looks a little rueful.

'I can't really swim. Certainly not properly. I can splash about, and I've managed to struggle out of water that's too deep for me - but that's about it'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

After all the prodding and eventually getting left a little bit behind, Drayner walks up to everyone "Sorry, I guess I'm a heavier sleeper than I thought" laughing quietly and slightly embarrasedly, he looks down at the puddle, "Any body got some ideas? Depending on your definition of cruel I may have a way to get it out... I'm not a terrible swimmer, but I haven't had any real practice either." Yawning Drayner takes a step back, waiting for a response.
    Timezone: GMT +10.0

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/United: THE HUB

25. - Top - End - #1195

GreenSorcererElf

Halabur strokes his chin thoughtfully. "We'll, if you don't mind waiting another eight hours, I can memorize a spell called 'Mage Hand' which might be able to lift the item out of the water." He says with a smile, realizing the absurdity of his remark.

He leans in closer, trying to see if he could identify something Raif may have missed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+10)[30]

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

'Depending on our definition of cruel? What exactly was the technique you had in mind? And why might we consider it cruel?'

Raif seems very suspicious.

'Rochenion, Mailali, can any of your party swim?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

Halabur:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You spend quite a while looking at the object, unfortunately nothing comes to mind, but you manage to figure out what the dull glow of magical energy is. It's a very small Wind Wall that is actually keeping the water from touching the bottom of the pool and the object.

**Arranis only!**
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want you to really insist on retrieving the object. It's something that will unlock some real fun for the future .

Rochenion looks up from adjusting his quivers on his hip, "Ahh, yes. Most of us are able to swim, but I'm sorry to say Raif, we need to be going.
    It's going to take us a while to find a new passage through to the lines so an early start is needed.
    he motions the others to the mouth of the passage, "Thank you again for your help my friends. Good luck in quest."
    Turning to leave he looks back over his shoulder, "Coming Mailali?"

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

'Well, if you insist, but I doubt we'll be more than a few minutes'.

'Good luck on your journey, and fare well'.

Raif turns his attention back to the pool.

'Well, can anyone swim, or should we try to fish it out some other way?'

'I admit, I'm curious enough about what it is myself... If no one else is willing, could someone help me off with my armour? I will have a try at retrieving it'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

29. - Top - End - #1199

GreenSorcererElf

"By Glittergold's gems..." Halabur says with no small amount of wonder in his voice "I think that's a wind wall down at the bottom of the pool." He continues with a grin spreading across his face, "If we can get a hold of the object--and it stays centered around it--then we might be able to keep breathing as we bring it back up!"

"I have a little bit of swimming experience, despite growing up underground. That's a story for another day though." He says with a wry grin.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

'I'd have thought growing up underground was a good place to learn to swim. After all - water flows downwards'.

'If you are thinking of swimming down there to get it, perhaps you should take the end of this rope, Halabur'. says Raif, as he hands Halabur one of his lengths of rope.

'That way, if the object is heavier than one of us can lift, you may be able to fasten the rope to it, and then we can try to pull it out together once you have surfaced'.

'Furthermore, if anything should go wrong, we'd be able to pull you out quickly - in fact...'
    Raif hands Halabur a second length of rope. One for you, and one for the...whatever it is'.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-03-05 at 11:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters: