New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Champions of Prophecy (IC Thread)

Vassikyn stays up about an hour, sitting in a corner with his food and drink. After that he too goes up to the room and goes to bed for the night.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

The innkeeper nods at the minstrel, before replying to Heilan. "He's just passing through, been here a couple days. He claims to be making a circuit of inns in the area, looking for more stories to tell, and music to play. All minstrels are the same...never quite what you think they are, and by the time you think you've figured them out, they are gone."

The Flautist shakes his head at the drink, politely refusing it. "My cloak is a symbol of my rank. Each color represents a land I've visited to find the stories, and together they show the seven realms of the world."
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Anoush still has a quarter of the roast rack left, but with half of his company already heading off to bed, Anoush quickly got bored eating. Sure, the young lady-knight doting on the bard started as quite a fascinating scene, but he eventually found himself not really interested anymore in seeing any further developments.

Youth... Reminds me of the good old days..., he thought with a gentle smile as fond memories crossed his mind.

A moment later, he swiftly downed his tankard of ale, fumbled his pouch for a few silver pieces and laid them stacked on the table, and then promptly left. Those with excellent perception would be able to see a small shadowy figure following him closely behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heilan sips his ale while eating his meal, watching the performance.
    Shortly after finishing his meal he also retires to bed.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

5. - Top - End - #65

Joan isn't quite sure of what to do with the drink the bard refuses, but that's quickly forgotten as she continues talking to him, a minute or two at a time, between songs. "So you must have seen all sorts of sights, no? Oh, what stories you must have to tell," she sighs, her imagination racing. She stays up, speaking with the man for as long as is prudent, and perhaps a bit longer, before it finally dawns on her that he companions have already retired.

"It seems as though I've stayed up a bit later than I should have, I should be heading off to bed, now." She bids the flutist farewell, and thanks him for his time, before also heading off to rest. Her sleep comes difficultly as her mind races with the stories she heard; if only, after their mission was done, she could travel the world and see half as many sights as the flutist had!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

The group spends a quiet night at the Inn. Besides the crack of thunder, and the noise of the common room, the rest is uninterrupted, and you awake refreshed and feeling alive. Going down to the common room the next morning, you find it strangely empty. The minstrel is gone, probably off to bed at a late hour, and there are no patrons downstairs yet. The innkeeper is still down at the bar, cleaning along with some of his waitstaff. He doesn't seem to notice the group of you coming down.

Outside, the storm has blown out, leaving a shining morning sun in a cloudless sky.
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2012-08-01 at 05:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heilan greets the innkeeper as he crosses the common room,

Good morning sir, thank you for a most refreshing nights rest, your room was excellent.

Heilan is currently wearing a light travelling outfit with a prominently displayed insignia of the servants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    actually heilan is wearing underpadding for armour, which does display such insignia but the hat of disguise changes the appearance as described .
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Vassikyn wakes with the dawn and prays. Then he goes downstairs and thanks the barkeep for the room.

"Thank you barkeep, that's one of the more restful nights I've had, and probably the most restful night I will have in a long time, are you sure you won't accept any coin for the room?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Uncle, come on. Wake up!, Marji told Anoush telepathically as she sharply pecked his nose, instantly waking him up.

Silly girl. I told you I didn't need that.

He then got up, did his morning ritual, prepared his gear, and headed downstairs. He approached the barkeep and thanked him for the accommodation, surreptitiously placing a gold coin somewhere near the the former's person.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rado gets up and knees down to silently pray for a few minutes. Then he walks down to the common room for breakfast. "Thank you for the room, innkeeper. It was the last night in a bed for a while."
    Act well before thinking!

11. - Top - End - #71

Joan wakes up and goes about her typical morning routine, with one major change: she leaves ten gold under the pillow, with a note thanking the innkeeper. She can't be certain that he, or his workers, will find it, but it would be better than disrespecting his wishes to accept no payment to his face, since she was too wrapped up in the musician last night to sneak him some gold. With her gift placed, she hurries to finish readying herself for the day, and descends the stairs, only to find that her group is already all but assembled.

"Oh, I... hope I didn't keep anybody waiting," she says quietly, shrinking away slightly from her group.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Teene slept and awoke hours before the others did. Making sure she didn't wake up any others, she moves from her bed to steal away the candle by the door. Lighting the candle, Teene proceeds to read her spellbook from the bed, making sure it does not disturb Joan's rest. With the dawning of the day, she changes from her red robe into her military outfit. Packing everything else, she walks the hallways as if there was a villain around the corner. When she comes back to check the commons again, all of her companions are there.

"Of course not, we've only just gotten together." Descending the stairs to join the others, "Shall we be off then?"
    Last edited by huyneo; 2012-08-03 at 09:18 PM.
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    Nexus of the Future

13. - Top - End - #73

"Actually, has anybody eaten breakfast yet?" Joan asks, recovering from her earlier embarrassment. "This is going to be one of our last chances to get a truly filling breakfast, and they do say that you march on your stomach. A good breakfast will only improve our performance, so we should take at least a few minutes for that."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heilan's expression brightens at Joan's suggestion

Breakfast sounds like a fine plan, our last chane for a hot meal for awhile perhaps...

What vittles can you offer us this morning good Innkeeper?
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

"It was a pleasure to have Servants staying at the Inn. Gives the people a sense of security and comfort, and keeps the vile sort that fears you lot out of here, as it should be. As for breakfast, I've got a hot porridge with berries ready, anything else will take a few minutes. You're welcome to stay and eat for as long as you like, or I can have it sent with you. I'll see your mounts are saddled and ready when you're done eating, if you're not in too great a hurry to eat breakfast. Its the most important of the six meals of the day, you know."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The porridge will suit me well thank you,
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Anoush interjected. "I appreciate the inn's hospitality mensely. However, I'd rather that we just bring our rations and eat them along the way instead of tarrying further.

Besides, contrary to Lady Joan's claim, I see no difference on one's performance, really, if he eats porridge and berries than, say, bread. That's just one person's opinion, though.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    There really aren't, right? Trail rations compared to "today's special"

18. - Top - End - #78

Joan shrugs. "I suppose that, if you really think it would be best, we could eat on the way. If you're trying to say that the quality of your breakfast doesn't affect your day, though, I've got to disagree. Porridge and berries sounds excellent, much better than just bread."

Spoiler
    Show
    No, there's no mechanical difference, but bread for breakfast is the food of peasants!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"I personally think that we should eat here. We won't have the chance to eat something that isn't from a campfire, at a table, for more than a few weeks. That would also give us the opportunity to discuss leadership as Heilan suggested in peace. I personally have no aversion to porridge."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rado patiently watches as the others discuss breakfast plans, his face impassive.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Teene nods at Vassikyn's suggestion.

"While eating on the road isn't a new experience for me, eating a warm meal is a rare commodity that lightens the heart. As for leaving now or after breakfast, it would only change who prepares the horses for the day, as long as we don't take too long. We won't lose much by staying here too much longer."
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    I lived through the Invasion of the Zombies and all I got was this lousy signature thingie made by a lazy narrator. Go me!
    Nexus of the Future

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heilan looks up from his now empty bowl of porridge,

The amount of time we spend discussing every decision is our biggest delay, have we all considered leadership issues?

I would like to propose that we make Vassikyn our leader, he has plenty of leadership experience from his time in the underdark.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Vassikyn inhales porridge upon hearing Heilan, and splutters a bit. After a second or two of coughing he speaks.

"Well, that wasn't exactly what I expected when you suggested we elect a leader last night. You are correct though, I do have some experience in leading others, having commanded the troops stationed in the Underdark. I'd like to hear the others ideas on the matter. I personally know none of you, apart from our small journey so far. As has been pointed out, I've been underground for the better part of ten years, so I don't even have the advantage of hearing anything of any of your previous exploits, besides what you've told me. I might not even be the most qualified person here for leading, or even be the most generally accepted candidate for the job."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-08-08 at 01:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"All I have ever commanded in my life are books. And I have commanded undead, told them to die for real. They did not object over much, but I fear that does not make me a natural leader. I say we let you give it a shot and see where it takes us. Maybe a month of trial and a permanent position if all agree at that point?"
    Last edited by Simba; 2012-08-08 at 01:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Anoush's mouth burned as he quickly downed his bowl of porridge. He thus reaches for the cup of water to cool down his tongue, as beads of sweat start forming on his forehead.
    Heavens! It's REALLY hot!

He quickly recomposes himself and joins the conversation. "Well, as for me... I rarely go on group missions, much less lead one. But the few occasions that I did made me realize that I'm not fit for that kind of responsibility."

He pauses to wipe the sweat of his forehead, remembering some brief moments from a day ago. He finally continues. "As for the others, I've this nagging intuition that Vassikyn would make a good leader. I think he has some qualities that I rarely find even amongst the Servant's most distinguished paladins."
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2012-08-08 at 02:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Joan couldn't help but curse her politeness. Had he been quicker to speak her mind, she might have been able to volunteer herself as leader, but by now it seemed that the rest of the group was already content with Vassikyn being their leader. Not that there was an issue with him; in fact, he seemed quite capable, it's just that she would do equally well, at least! Rado would be her saving grace, however.

"A trial run, so to speak, sounds like a good idea, Rado. Rest assured, Vassikyn, that I say this not out of distrust in your abilities, but merely to find the best leader. I'm sure that there are other here that would serve well as leader!" With her last statement, Joan is very careful to take up a pose that makes her look larger and more imposing, while simultaneously attempting to look as elegant as possible. The effect doesn't really work, but she doesn't seem to notice.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you all for your faith in me. I'll try not to lead us astray. I'll be straight with you. I won't use this leadership to boss you all around all the time, and the really important decisions I'd still prefer to make as a whole. However, when I do give a command, I'll have a good reason for giving that command, and I don't want there to be any question about it. We should finish eating and then get on with our journey, the Shadows never stop darkening the world, and I'm sure we'll be needed to bring forth the Light soon."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Why thank you Joan,

Heilan looks pleased at Joans comment,

But I couldn't possibly, the order is more in favour of Paladin's than such as I, but I thank you again for the thought!

A grin crosses Heilan's face,

As you command, so shall it be!
    Last edited by only1doug; 2012-08-08 at 02:40 PM.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Map of Area

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing no need to comment, Teene listens on to the conversation about the role of leadership. Porridge bowl and spoon in her hands, she waits for it to cool off before digging into it, savouring every spoonful. The thought of a 'trial run' causes a slight twitch, but makes no comment. With everything coming full circle on Vassikyn becoming the tentative leader of the troupe, she speaks up.

"Do not hesitate. Have faith that you will make the right decision and we'll succeed. Otherwise, there's no need for this talk anymore. We should move on."

Teene sets down her empty bowl and spoon, sits up, and pushes in the chair. Shifting into a salute for her new commander, she speaks in a brisk tone with hints of excitement.

"At your ready, sir!"
    Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Zombie Invasion
    Nexus of the Future

30. - Top - End - #90

Joan is taken aback by Heilan's comment, and looks at him incredulously; he had to have been facetious, right? Surely he knew that she was suggesting herself? She shakes her head slightly, finishes her porridge, and joins Teene in saluting their new leader, though notably lacking much of Teene's enthusiasm. "Commander Vassikyn," she says simply.