New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Third edition is coming!
    Possibly after the apocalypse.
    I find the return of Grabowski to be the most interesting thing mentioned. First Edition's core book was what hooked me on Exalted and got me to shell out all this money for everything written for Second Edition.

Guess I need to get down to work on getting out my Exalted project before the new rules hit.

Thought: Third Edition Alchemicals will probably not show up for another three years.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Third edition is coming!
    Possibly after the apocalypse.
    My prediction:

The math gets cleaned up. Combat is more streamlined. The progression curve isn't so weird. All the Exalted have clearly defined themes and places in the setting from the beginning. None of the developers know what's actually wrong with the system. It's still terrible at telling Exalted stories. Systems with 5-page rule-pamphlets designed for 24 hour design contests will still be better than its professionally developed years-in-the-making 400 page monstrosity.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Xefas, pray tell what are the stories Exalted is meant to tell?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's still terrible at telling Exalted stories.
    I ran a game for three years under unerratad second edition rules and had an awesome ride. The system has hiccups, but those hiccups aren't that bad.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    So why keep releasing 2e books? They're still going to be releasing at least one between now & December (Scroll of the Monk 2 I believe). If they knew the books were going to be replaced within a year, why keep selling them since that's obviously going to aggravate people (or maybe I'm just a moody git).
    Hatewheel has said that SotM2 is cancelled. There's no new Exalted 2E books on the schedule, so presumably Shards is the last 2E product ever.

Really, my only complaint about this is that it cannot come fast enough. A year for Dragon-Bloods! A yeeeeear.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2012-07-24 at 02:57 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

KB, there's this thing called money. It's really useful for getting what you want out of other people. To get it, you have to convince people they want to give you money in return for something.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Also, do note the last, what, 3 books released: Masters of Jade, Compass: Auto, and Shards. None of those are really mechanics heavy, and the setting information they give will likely still be relatively canon.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. Freeing the game from the stranglehold of mutual contradiction and errata might actually make it possible to convince people to try it.

On the other hand, probably not buying it for a while. I don't really play solars, so until the splatbooks start coming out, it'd be pretty silly

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Xefas, pray tell what are the stories Exalted is meant to tell?
    It's not like we haven't been over this before. 2nd Ed rewards standing in place and flurrying. It rewards hyper-specializing and sticking to your one shtick. Its "fiddly parcel" progression system overly restricts what you can do with a given concept (I have to pay separately for "Hits real hard", "Hits real accurately", "Hits a couple times", "Hits a lot of times", "Hits in a special way", "Hits in a slightly different special way"). It's overly concerned with being a tactical fighting game, rather than a game about telling stories. But then fails at being tactical. It doesn't incentivize, reinforce, or especially facilitate the roleplaying of your character. On and on. 3rd edition will be the same way, but a little better in the wrong direction.

That's not even bringing in the disconnect between system and setting. Artifacts, good god.

(If you'd like me to rehash my old complaints a bit more, it'll have to wait until tonight, because I'm about to go to work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I ran a game for three years under unerratad second edition rules and had an awesome ride. The system has hiccups, but those hiccups aren't that bad.
    Congratulations. You're awesome at telling stories about Exalted in spite of the system. I'd be in awe of what you could accomplish, given something decent to work with.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

For those of us ignorant of early Exalted, who's Geoff Grabowski? I take it he was instrumental in 1e in some manner?
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geostationary View Post
    For those of us ignorant of early Exalted, who's Geoff Grabowski? I take it he was instrumental in 1e in some manner?
    He set the tone of First Edition Exalted, with its epic conflicts between super-powered demigods in a world slowly dying from greed, corruption, and political infighting.

He is specifically not to blame for Lunars sucking, because he wanted Conan and got civilization-hating werewolves who need different weapons to be told apart.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

Civilization-hating rapist werewolves who need different weapons to be told apart.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-07-24 at 03:31 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Infernals with no thematic restrictions. So basically you want to play a Solar?
    Geh, this attitude makes me sigh. if I want to play a mutant unrestricted by thematics, Solars ain't the place I go to. Too human and straightforward.

also in response to Third Edition, I will say it thrice more:

great, now I have to purchase this all over again.

I will keep saying it, probably until time ends.

Still buying it though. the new corebook might actually make me like Solars.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-07-24 at 03:39 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Congratulations. You're awesome at telling stories about Exalted in spite of the system. I'd be in awe of what you could accomplish, given something decent to work with.
    Perhaps then you'd actually answer the question: what stories is Exalted supposed to tell?
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

*grumbles*

I've shelled out about two hundred bucks for paper and ink in some fancy format... and now most of it is useless.

I want my money back! *shakes cane*

[/old man]

Okay, seriously, I can't wait for this to come out.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-24 at 03:54 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

I just hope the system is close enough that we can still use 2e books until they release 3e equivalents.

Otherwise... I don't really want to wait three years for Infernals to come out again, for instance.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

don't worry. with enough hard work and smartness, you can convert anything to anything! edition to next edition changes are actually very easy…..
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Lunars. Going to be awesome again.

*starts foaming at mouth*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I just hope the system is close enough that we can still use 2e books until they release 3e equivalents.

Otherwise... I don't really want to wait three years for Infernals to come out again, for instance.
    Honestly I'm more concerned about Alchemicals. I don't think I've ever actually played one despite them being my favorite splat.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    don't worry. with enough hard work and smartness, you can convert anything to anything! edition to next edition changes are actually very easy…..
    Yeah, see, there's my problem.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Thought: Third Edition Alchemicals will probably not show up for another three years.
    You hate me, don't you?
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I am seriously considering requesting an Alchemical game, so that I can actually play one before 3E comes out and everyone switches over.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Lunars. Going to be awesome again.

*starts foaming at mouth*
    If they're good, and they still have Twin-Faced Hero, I will probably be playing some.

But in the meantime, I'm rewriting my Infernal Charm.

Still no Name
    Cost: 0-4 (+2), see text; Mins: Essence 3; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Heretical, Combo-OK
    Prerequisites: By Rage Recast, Loom-Snarling Deception

This trick requires the Infernal to be able to use Malfeas' shapechanging powers, but also be able to delicately manipulate them, as those who study under the Ebon Dragon can do the Loom of Fate.

At a cost of 6 - (permanent Essence) motes, the Infernal can change his form to look like any human, beastman, or other human-sized biped without any particular advantages over humans (such as gills or thick scales).

With a +2 surcharge cost, the Infernal can even take on superior forms, granting him his permanent Essence in mutation points for the form he takes on.

You can also pay this Charm's cost when using Loom-Snarling Deception to combine the two Charms. You may still create the illusory clothes when using Loom-Snarling Deception, but it is advised that the Infernal buys clothes that comfortably fit.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-24 at 06:26 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Okay, I am seriously considering requesting an Alchemical game, so that I can actually play one before 3E comes out and everyone switches over.
    Agreed.
    But the question is - which Shard?
    I have to admit, Modern Alchemicals are pretty nifty.

As for the Still No Name charm: What advantage does this offer over Loom-Snarling Deception? Actual shapechanging as opposed to illusions?
    If so, rather than combining the shapechanging of Malfeas with the delicacy of the Ebon Dragon, I recommend treating it as combining the many faces of the Ebon Dragon with the absolute dominion over his own body that Malfeas grants. - Malfeas is not defined by a changing shape, but by one that is absolutely what he says it is. Ebby will let you lie about what you are, and forms the basis for the trick, merely modified by Malfeas.
    Also remember that your disguise is not/should not be impenetrable as a Lunar's is; if you want to disguise yourself as a person, you must still impersonate them and properly envision their form - AKA, this charm doesn't (and shouldn't) negate a disguise check to impersonate someone.

And I still think this steps on Lunar toes too much for too little interest. It just doesn't feel very Infernal to me.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-07-24 at 06:45 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly I don't care what Shard, as long as I get to play an Alchie it's all good.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I still say it should be named Crushing Luna's Paw.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I was actually thinking standard Autochthonia. But if we did do Shards I would prefer Gunstar. Heaven's Reach doesn't have much info on Alchemicals, and I would prefer normal Alchemicals to Modern ones plus the Gunstar Alchemicals have a cool place in their society. But at this point I'd be willing to play anything Alchemical.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Same here- I'd actually like a standard Autocthonia game.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I was actually thinking standard Autochthonia. But if we did do Shards I would prefer Gunstar. Heaven's Reach doesn't have much info on Alchemicals, and I would prefer normal Alchemicals to Modern ones plus the Gunstar Alchemicals have a cool place in their society. But at this point I'd be willing to play anything Alchemical.
    At least Modern has Alchemicals. They're so sadly absent from Heaven's Reach, and ridiculously absent from Burn Legend.

I personally like that Gunstar Alchemicals occupy nearly the same place in society, but the context is so overwhelmingly different.

Normal Autochthonia and Gunstar are both good with me.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-07-24 at 07:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

I would really like an alchemicals game that got to the metro/patropolis level. Designing our city forms would be cool. To avoid playing at that level we could just use silo charms.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.