New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    No, the reverse-blade scythe of Zatesh can pull things into the beyond.
    I'm fairly sure that the scythe of Zatesh (Which is Luna's now, since she defeated and absorbed all that Zatesh would have been) merely "pulls and cuts at the Wyld."
    (In other words, I think Luna is the one who carried Laashe to the Beyond, and the scythe is just how she grabbed him.)

The difference is at most "Can Luna give this power to someone else by handing over the Scythe" - and I suspect the answer is no.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    On that note, since we're on the subject of Fair Folk, where best would I put a repository of Fair Folk NPCs I've built if I wanted you forum folks to be able to see them? So far they're fairly rules-legit, so such a thread wouldn't likely need to go in Homebrew...
    Someone once posted an advanced monster with a couple templates added to it in homebrew. I am fairly certain NPCs are legit there. If you don't want to believe me, The Glyphstone or Mark Hall can probably answer your question. I don't remember if either posts in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Fair Folk give me headaches...but yeah, I'm curious.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Someone once posted an advanced monster with a couple templates added to it in homebrew. I am fairly certain NPCs are legit there. If you don't want to believe me, The Glyphstone or Mark Hall can probably answer your question. I don't remember if either posts in this thread.
    There is a character compendium here.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #35
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I do now.

And yeah, Homebrew would be the proper place for a thread dedicated to posting things like NPC stats. One-off things are okay for a discussion thread (such as Meschlum's occasional Oneiromancies), but if you've got a big lump of such creations, it'd be best to make a thread and link to it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

*Sidereal pops his head in*

Here, take this.

*Roll to remember me, people.*
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys, quick rules clarification: if a Malefactor wants to use Scoured Perfection of form to give someone a mutation, and that someone is not currently a creature of darkness, then the charm would need to be used twice, first to grant Creature of Darkness and second to grant the desired mutation, correct?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Hey guys, quick rules clarification: if a Malefactor wants to use Scoured Perfection of form to give someone a mutation, and that someone is not currently a creature of darkness, then the charm would need to be used twice, first to grant Creature of Darkness and second to grant the desired mutation, correct?
    That is correct.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Does Heaven's Reach have something like TV, or even radio? Or is it a setting that's focused all technology towards transportation and fighting?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Yes of course it has tv and radio. why would an advanced civilization of thousands upon thousands of planets, even not develop the long range communications vital for maintaining such infrastructure over such vast expanses? I doubt civilization could get so large without them, as TV is also vital for commercial purposes which allow the companies that make all this work to keep selling their products, and long range communication to make sure everyone is working together and all that.

it'd be like if we somehow got cars and internet without going through the steam engine first. would make NO sense at all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #41

This is a setting with tyrannosaurs that pee heroin, at what point did 'making sense' become a priority to Creation?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that communications is all handled by the huge goddamn cyberspace mountain full of god-programs that do nothing but handle information on a hourly basis.

Might be wrong, but probably not.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yes of course it has tv and radio. why would an advanced civilization of thousands upon thousands of planets, even not develop the long range communications vital for maintaining such infrastructure over such vast expanses? I doubt civilization could get so large without them, as TV is also vital for commercial purposes which allow the companies that make all this work to keep selling their products, and long range communication to make sure everyone is working together and all that.

it'd be like if we somehow got cars and internet without going through the steam engine first. would make NO sense at all.
    Standard Exalted has power armor, flying vehicles, and mechas.

I don't think real-world common sense is a deciding factor.

The closest we get to any mention of TV is the fact that average Empire civilians have reliable entertainment. And late medieval England also had that.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-22 at 04:38 PM.
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    As for Internet, there's the Grand Celestial Mountain, and who cares about mortals?
    The other mortals, mostly. With so much time and so much tech, if you assume that humans in Heaven's Reach work anything lik real humans, you can bet mortals have managed to cobble up something.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-22 at 04:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    The other mortals, mostly. With so much time and so much tech, if you assume that humans in Heaven's Reach work anything lik real humans, you can bet mortals have managed to cobble up something.
    I changed my post.

Although the fact that reliable Essence use didn't come around until Immaculate Golden Engineer, long after they developed FTL speeds, does have some factor. But really, what do the exalts care about giving mortals TV when they're perfectly happy with plays?
    My Steam profile

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I changed my post.

Although the fact that reliable Essence use didn't come around until Immaculate Golden Engineer, long after they developed FTL speeds, does have some factor. But really, what do the exalts care about giving mortals TV when they're perfectly happy with plays?
    And again, what the Exalts want to give doesn't really matter so much as what the mortals themselves make. I find it highly suspect that humans would have created starships, advanced physics, FTL, and freaking Exaltations before making any way to share entertainment. Heaven's Reach mortals are clearly allowed to invent things without any artificial writer failure to understand how progress works, like they suffer in Creation, and entertainment is always one of the most lucrative businesses in the world for a reason .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-22 at 04:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

yea, but all that stuff only came about because there was the necessary infrastructure there to make it happen! and the First Emperor, along with Dragon-Blooded and such came about LONG before any Solar Exalted! Long before any of this essence technology was made!
    Namely, yes, you can have you nonsensical flying machines, power suits and mecha- but those only became possible when the infrastructure of civilization could support it, and for that you need various ways of communicating along with your transportation and such, and guess what, the First Age also had I AM, which was also an instant communications network.

and even if you acknowledge that yes, the Exalts might not contribute to mortal life, the mortals came first and had like, thousands to millions of years to make this stuff, and we mortals unlike Exalts NEED this kind of infrastructure to develop all this technology, and probably couldn't have even gotten to the moon if we didn't develop this long range communication tech beforehand and so on and so forth. and furthermore, there needed to have been some people to build the various Exaltations in the first place, which it make it possible to have Exalts to not build stuff for mortals, who built the Exaltations!

technology isn't something you conjure from thin air. you need to make a bunch of things that make a bunch of other things possible, so that you can make the original thing you want to make, possible! elsewise, it would be impractical or even impossible to make, because you can't make internet from medieval age tools, because it would be too complex, difficult, time-consuming and so on to do! Without precise long-range communication in a space opera setting, its going to fall apart, because large civilizations just don't work without such communication. its not a thing Exalts can circumvent.

18. - Top - End - #48

Heaven's Reach mortals are clearly allowed to invent things without any artificial writer failure to understand how progress works, like they suffer in Creation, and entertainment is always one of the most lucrative businesses in the world for a reason .
    Particularly entertainment of the flavor we have to be oblique about discussing here. So figure out who's making that and how they'd try to distribute it, and you'll know what technologies are more likely to result.

Without precise long-range communication in a space opera setting, its going to fall apart, because large civilizations just don't work without such communication. its not a thing Exalts can circumvent.
    Can't they, I dunno, go and punch the Shinma of Not Being Able To Communicate Over Long Distances?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-07-22 at 05:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Particularly entertainment of the flavor we have to be oblique about discussing here. So figure out who's making that and how they'd try to distribute it, and you'll know what technologies are more likely to result.

Can't they, I dunno, go and punch the Shinma of Not Being Able To Communicate Over Long Distances?
    They have Full Sensory High Def VR?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

There isn't a Shinma for every specific thing. I don't think killing gods works either, since you can still do that and their domain is still there. The closest thing you could do is to kill the Shinma of Distance or Space or whatever, which would be worthy of an epic facepalm. I don't think there's a being for each specific consequence of having set distances.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-22 at 05:07 PM.
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #51

There isn't a Shinma for every specific thing. I don't think killing gods works either, since you can still do that and their domain is still there. The closest thing you could do is to kill the Shinma of Distance or Space or whatever, which would be worthy of an epic facepalm. I don't think there's a being for each specific consequence of having set distances.
    More like epic campaign than epic facepalm. A well-meaning but misguided Circle has set off to hunt down and destroy the Shinma of Distance, to make communication and travel all across Creation instantaneously easy and free for the benefit of all. You, an equally well-meaning and much smarter Circle, need to get there first so you can defend the Shinma from them...but it is the Shinma of Distance, very good at staying away from people it doesn't want to be near, and is hiding from both of you...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, messing with Shinma is messing with the pillars that define reality,to kill one is to remake everything you ever known. and they aren't narrow- they are so wide, they define things like "things exist" kill the shinma that defines that, and nothing exists anymore.

Edit: and furthermore….shinma aren't really people. they are….principles of reality. they are so basic and fundamental….that well, bacteria are more complex than them. they are cogs in the greater reality machine that the Primordials built. messing with shinma, I repeat is not an epic quest thing, its a "are you a stupid hubristic moron?" thing, on par with making a Protoshinmaic Vortex in hubristic pride.

that and you don't need to go said epic quest to mess with Shinma- Solars have a charm for that, and its called Shinmaic Calibration, and Shinmaic Communion. Probably the most overpowered charms ever.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-07-22 at 05:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I should note that TV and Radio as they are normally meant are entirely unnecessary for an advanced industrial society. Writing and the wheel aren't necessary for empire or advanced and complicated infrastructure projects.

It is entirely possible that in the Heaven's Reach setting that such things are not as common or popular as they are in our real world. While they may have the necessary understanding of science to construct such devices they might have no need to do so.

Put another way, there are no such things as tech levels or society levels. Civilizations do not develop at the same rate in or in the same way in every area.

Perhaps moralists in the ancient days said radio dramas would be the end of family values and were believed. Thus tv was never invented and advertising as such is done through the form of print catalogs from the major trade conglomerates. For all we know, radio is now regarded with much the same regard as we now look at like bear baiting is now.

Thus it is entirely up to the ST and players to decide if they want these things in their Creation.

Edit: The Shinma you are all discussing ganking is Nirvikalpa, shinma of communication. The Daystar has gates using it to travel without distance.

Also, the Shinma predate the primordials, they were not constructed by them. The Titans studied them the same way we study the laws of physics.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-07-22 at 05:28 PM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

More like epic campaign than epic facepalm. A well-meaning but misguided Circle has set off to hunt down and destroy the Shinma of Distance, to make communication and travel all across Creation instantaneously easy and free for the benefit of all. You, an equally well-meaning and much smarter Circle, need to get there first so you can defend the Shinma from them...but it is the Shinma of Distance, very good at staying away from people it doesn't want to be near, and is hiding from both of you...
    All who think Glyph just volunteered to run this, say aye?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Put another way, there are no such things as tech levels or society levels. Civilizations do not develop at the same rate in or in the same way in every area.
    This is completely ture. but I remain convinced that such a civilization would almost inevitably make up some way of sharing news and entertainment. What shape this would take, I honestly have no idea, but people are way too curious to not want to know what's happening elsewhere, and as Glyph said, where there are humans, almost inevitably there'll be some form of porn .

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    All who think Glyph just volunteered to run this, say aye?
    Sure, as long as we don't use the Exalted system. Even eldritch horrors cringe from those rules...

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Awwwwwww.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, as long as we don't use the Exalted system. Even eldritch horrors cringe from those rules...
    The March errata is making it playable.

Besides, if you try to use D&D 3.5 to play Exalted, I will slap you.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-22 at 05:41 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    I should note that TV and Radio as they are normally meant are entirely unnecessary for an advanced industrial society. Writing and the wheel aren't necessary for empire or advanced and complicated infrastructure projects.

Also, the Shinma predate the primordials, they were not constructed by them. The Titans studied them the same way we study the laws of physics.
    1. they are if you want to get beyond medieval empires. technology isn't some thing of options, there are certain necessary things that need to be developed, for other things to be developed as well. sure, some paths of technolgy could be built rather than others, but at a certain point to advance you need to build certain kinds of technology for other things to be possible.

2. I already knew this, they used the Shinma as building materials to set the stage for building Creation. I need no correction.

30. - Top - End - #60

The March errata is making it playable.

Besides, if you try to use D&D 3.5 to play Exalted, I will slap you.
    I was thinking TOON, actually....Disclaimer. I don't actually know the TOON rules either.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-07-22 at 05:47 PM.