New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

In a straight crossover, it doesn't work, as the Exalted already pretty much tried that, and it doesn't work. Remember, in Exalted the Mind and the Soul are fused, and the Exaltation is tied to the soul.

Plus, it's even more broken and insane than the encounter suit, which is already pretty bad.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Yeah... This is a thing which should not be done. If it is to be done, it should be done with Alchemicals (they already have the Sci Fi themes and a game mechanic allowing massive bodily changes without massive unbalancing of the game system). Or possibly give everyone access to exaltation at the celestial level, because if not one person having, say, 1% of all the significant power in the setting gets wonky. Even leaving out the question of Ability transfer and multiple favored and caste powers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

A more interesting way, in my opinion, is that Exaltations make it so that you cannot be forked/re-sleeved. So, in the setting, there are now mortal powers that the Chosen essentially can't use.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Infernals would work, but that is just making it easy. Adorjan is chock full of change your mind and body charms and with a bit of Ebon Dragon for seasoning and mutations from the Endless Desert you can pull off a fairly good transhuman.

Though that is a general trend of theirs so it makes sense.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone know how long it takes to mint a ton of silver coins? About 48,000 Dinars, to be more precise.

I was going by the Panoply guidelines for coinage and have reverse engineered more about resources 4 than I maybe should have. Resources four is up to 30 talents of silver, which works out to about 1800 pounds, or about three cubic feet, or about 48,000 dinars (800 years or more worth of income for a subsistence farmer). I figure Talents are too large a unit of currency to use directly in most things, while dinars are more portable, more widely accepted, and more easily exchanged for Obols at a rate of 100/13. The reason for all this investigation... Principle Invoking Onslaught. I've got it on an essence 4 infernal, and was trying to figure out how long it would take me to convert a hunk of pure silver generated by PIO into guild standard coinage, as well as roughly how many dream eaten I could buy with it.

I'm looking forward to having many little lab assistants who I can remote possess.

TL;DR: How long does it take to make money?
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

You could probably do it as a craft (fire) roll and... Hmm... Treat it as crafting a resources 4 item? Then apply Experimental Acceleration Mastery for fun and profit.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on who's doing it, how many people are assisting, and what Charms are involved.

Using the rules, though, it's just a mundane craft project costing Resources 4. I'd call it a month if no Charms are involved.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Coindelving from Masters of Jade takes an hour to produce one "bucket of dinars". Each dinar weighs about half an ounce and silver is 10.49grams to cubic centimeter. This gives dinars a weight of 14.1748 grams and a volume of 1.35126787 cubic centimeters.

A bucket is not a standard unit of measure, but 5 gallons is one of the more common sizes. Assuming, incorrectly but not by an order of magnitude, that all those dinar fit perfectly into the bucket that is 14006.8888932 dinar to the bucket, alter according to a percentage you think appropriate.

Taking the number of dinar to the talents that is 3.42688518243, call it 3.4 hours to mint 30 talents of silver.

This of course is without charms and one of the largest silver mints in Creation, which would seem to cancel out at fairly low essence.

In other news, one talent of silver weights almost exactly 50lb and is about two litters.

Edit: By the mundane craft rules they are all forced to use, all those people would count as enough assistants to ensure success but would not reduce the interval.

I suppose it could be argued that they have multiple production runs of silver going at the same time but consider, that silver ore typically contains 0.085% silver by weight (They have silver gods, but at some point magic means that Solars ride can go faster then light and mortals can pray up gigajoul lightning with more total energy then an atomic bomb.)

In order to produce 1 talent of silver requires then about 30 short tons of ore. The tons of ore hauled in each day must be unnaturally pure to get out enough pure silver to mint all those coins an hour. So in order to have that kind of output requires 720 short tons of ore a day. Even with magic they can't eke too much blood from that particular stone.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-08-30 at 02:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

So, my first non-internet infernals game starts tomorrow. Supposedly, I have Kamina the Metody as my unwoven coadjutor.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    So, my first non-internet infernals game starts tomorrow. Supposedly, I have Kamina the Metody as my unwoven coadjutor.
    Is he going to be talking about all things manly while wearing ridiculous shades and an awesome cape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Is he going to be talking about all things manly while wearing ridiculous shades and an awesome cape?
    Probably not, as he's the voice living inside my head at this point. But he might have in the past?

But yeah... My character is going to HATE him. "Kick logic out and do the impossible, that's the way team Reclamation rolls!" "SHUT UP! SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH! LOGIC IS WONDERFUL!"
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Probably not, as he's the voice living inside my head at this point. But he might have in the past?

But yeah... My character is going to HATE him. "Kick logic out and do the impossible, that's the way team Reclamation rolls!" "SHUT UP! SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH! LOGIC IS WONDERFUL!"
    Heretical charm building off Hollow Mind Possession: "Now I Will Make the Voices Stop!"?

13. - Top - End - #643
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wouldn't the shades melt?

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
    Wouldn't the shades melt?
    Honestly, there'd be a greater chance of the Infernal melting than the shades .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-09-01 at 02:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Honestly, there'd be a greater chance of the Infernal melting than the shades .
    Well, his time in the chrisalis grotesque probably did nothing good to his appearance with a Metody as the base.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Well, his time in the chrisalis grotesque probably did nothing good to his appearance with a Metody as the base.
    Vitriol is also the element of evolution, so it could have done everything good to his appearance.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Vitriol is awesome stuff when you pull the all-dissolving hate out of it. Still scary as hell, but awesome nonetheless.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

I just had an awesome crossover fanfic idea.

Dragon Protocol

Our hero Michael Thorton is a Dragon-Blooded, formerly an agent of the Office of Meruvian Intelligence. The story starts with his transfer to a mysterious Black Ops organization known as Dragon Protocol. His first mission seems straightforward enough: The assassination of a Southern Oil Baron Sheik Shaheed who has known ties to a spirit court and is claiming responsibility for the recent missile strike on a commercial airliner. But in the world of covert intelligence things are never as they seem. Why is such a mission being performed by a Black Ops organization? What is the true agenda of Dragon Protocol? Who can Michael trust? And how does the Halbech Corporation fit into things?

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"YOUR VITRIOL IS THE VITRIOL THAT WILL DISSOLVE YU-SHAN!"

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    "YOUR VITRIOL IS THE VITRIOL THAT WILL DISSOLVE YU-SHAN!"
    Melt through the Heavens with your XXX

21. - Top - End - #651
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's too quiet in here. Should I say something controversial about the Yozis?

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

You getting bored?

No fear! Raziere is here to always provide controversy with the merest of comments.

Personally, I dislike the new direction of how magitech is going to be scaled back in 3E Exalted, because I always thought that the magitech was one of the things that made Exalted unique, and I dislike how it is being shifted to a more traditional sword and sorcery thing which I find less interesting than what we have now...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

We don't actually have any solid fact on what space Magitech will occupy in 3rd Ed. We just know it will be a little less present, which is honestly not that hard given how it was absolutely everywhere by 2nd Ed's end.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    It's too quiet in here. Should I say something controversial about the Yozis?
    The Lidless Eye that sees is already controlling everyone with his visions and they just keep him asleep so they can lie to themselves.

The Ebon Dragon's freedom bent is actually to escape Samsara.

Samsara is actually related to Time Not and is ultimately a function of the Hearth, Ring, Way, and Mask. In reality there is no time and the sum total of Creation's history was defined at the instant of the divine ignition.

The true blasphemy of shape that so offends the Raksha is not that what things look like doesn't change, but that Creation is like a bug trapped in amber and all their interactions with it are already built into its timeless structure. It constrains their metaphysical freedom by requiring them to perform the actions it already contains them performing.

So, not only is there no free will, but there is no time. Creation's end and beginning have not already happened, there is no already involved. They both exist and all apparent time is simply a movement through the giant 4+d crystal that is Creation.

Controversial enough?
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2012-09-08 at 01:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

@ Exthalion: Nope, thats TOO controversial. Now you just sound completely crazy and no one will talk to you about it, because its so controversial that anyone with a pinch of sense won't touch it.

You have to aim a little less weird. Become too far removed and strange, and you won't get a thing. instead aim for something down to earth, but just a turn to the left.

like stating Solars should have more defined themes because as they are now, they are too undefined and samey feeling and need something to better visualize them other than some generic everyman hero that isn't interesting at all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    The Ebon Dragon's freedom bent is actually to escape Samsara.
    Who knows? That may already be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Controversial enough?
    Nah, man, it's cool.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

What Exalted book would I learn about a group called the Joy Bringers, or something like that. I remember reading about them and other groups connected to them somewhere but not where. You can actually have your character be a members of these groups I think.

28. - Top - End - #658

Quote Originally Posted by JonathonWilder View Post
    What Exalted book would I learn about a group called the Joy Bringers, or something like that. I remember reading about them and other groups connected to them somewhere but not where. You can actually have your character be a members of these groups I think.
    Joybringer is another name for the Chosen of Serenity, one of the Sidereal castes.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Joybringer is another name for the Chosen of Serenity, one of the Sidereal castes.
    Aw that explains why I couldn't find it. Another question, because I have been wondering and the books are at times vague on the point. Are Sidereals evil or not? Sometimes it seems they are and sometimes they are not.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JonathonWilder View Post
    Are Sidereals evil or not? Sometimes it seems they are and sometimes they are not.
    The Sidereals are exactly as evil as the US Army.