New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1133
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Danielle

"No point worried about what I can't control, right" she smiled "true enough".

"Sounds good" she paused "thanks for inviting me out" even if I paid for the drinks and I am not sure of your motives "it is good to get a better understanding of what other people think" and you did cover some good sense before I made an idiot of myself.

"I prefer to remain below the radar of the great and the good" yourself included really "if you could I would prefer your boss not to think of me at all - good or bad - but I don't know the deal with that".

"Will you be ok getting home?" she asked the last thing she needed was Erica to disappear after meeting her, and the woman seemed ok.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

Erica dropped fifteen dollars on the table, and a few coins of loose change. Apparently she hadn't seen Danielle pay for the drinks.

"My boss thinks of everything," Erica said, "keep in touch, okay? Here's my card."

She passed a business card over to Danielle. It was for Weinmann and Kirsch.

"Great, now you've jinxed it," she said, smiling.

Erica knocked the wooden table twice, as she stood up, looking around again for anyone who seemed suspicious.

"See you around," she said, "and uh.. good luck."

Erica extended a hand for Danielle to shake if she so chose, whether she does or not, she makes her way to the front of the hotel and jumps into a taxi.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2013-06-10 at 07:04 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

"I already got that" she tilted her head to the cash fifteen plus for cranberry juice and water, job must pay well she took the card carefully glanced at it and pocketed it, "thanks".

Does dominate allow for skin contact she didn't know, she thought not taking Erica's hand she gave a gentle shake, and moved off with her. Offering a nod to the bartender as she did.

As they left "Erica, same advice I gave someone else. For your field trip and the guy behind it, don't start at the bottom and work your way up, you only make yourself a target. Find the head and take control of it or replace it with one you do control ... it will be much less hassle and danger", it was a vague enough statement that it could be taken a number of ways, but taken the right way it would solve Amy's issue with the Yuri guy, "or not as you think".

She moved off to her bike, and finally on to Jack. She wanted his opinion on her visions, did madness count as wisdom to share?

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"O-kay," Erica replied, "take care."

That was weird. And I thought Amy had issues.

Her list of potential friends was growing shorter by the day. She walked to the nearest payphone and dialled Melanie's number. She had to get an answer on the idea she'd had that night.

Spoiler
    Show
    If she can get in touch with her, Erica will ask to meet Melanie, but she'll take steps to avoid being followed first. Since she realized someone is hunting Danielle, she's feeling a bit paranoid.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"All right, fine, fine. Go! Go!" Mike turned half shoving, half egging her to head down the stairs. He didn't want to argue with her, so was willing to go with her. They moved down the stairs towards the bottom. It was at the second floor they saw Slick, rocking back and forth, muttering to himself.

"Phone! Now!" Mike went to Slick.

Danielle

Danielle wasn't bothered as she went to where Smiling Jack was. His place however, seemed deserted. It was eerily quiet as she approached the torn up building in the middle of the woods.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perecpetion + Alertness please

Erica
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can roll wits + alertness to see if she's being followed.

Melanie answered the phone. "Hello?" It was Melanie's voice.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy hesitates, torn between doing what he says or go see if there's something she can do for Slick, then by some miracle she actually thinks about what she's doing, past her first instinct, and nods shakily towards Mike, getting down the other two ramps of stairs to get to the phone.

She manages to punch the number in at the third attempt. She's not shaking anymore (Why was I in the first place, I'm frigging DEAD, am I? ), but still, there's something wrong with her coordination, as if her body isn't reacting correctly to what she wants it to do.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Hey, it's me," Erica replied, "I wanted to check on something. Do you know anything about Tallow and Marx Mansion?"
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"Why are you calling me?" The voice was Donovon crackled across the phone. It was blunt, and full of weight. Amy could hear a sniggering coming from the near the door of the building, the Landlady seemed to be enjoying herself.

Erica

There was a pause on Melanie's end. Erica could barely make out some words being spoken on the other end of the line. Then she spoke directly to Erica after about fifteen seconds. "I'm afraid I don't deal with the isnane, at least those not subtle enough to get caught. Why? Are you considering a little mischief and fun on the side?" Melanie sounded a bit like a gossip, a bit inappropriate given the topic.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

"Donovon, uhm... It's Amy." Her voice isn't very firm, a sure indication that something is wrong. "I... er..." What exactly am I supposed to say? "S-something happened, I'm... I'm not s-sure what. Can you..." Come and sort it out? I sound like a frigging five years old.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Maybe," Erica replied, "I just wanted to make sure it's not off limits. Do you want in?"
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

She still wasn't entirely sure what Erica had wanted but the woman had been good for bouncing ideas off - even if she had to be a bit leery about her, and her boss, and her clan she supposed.
    If caitiff are a wildcard than controlling the wildcard or neutralising it might be a plan for power-brokers and seekers.

None of that really mattered as she rode, the ghost/vision/hallucination thing was much more pressing - and asking how he might hunt a hunter or Desmund directly might go a long way, blood too might be a question to ask bluntly. Cause everyone loves twenty questions.

Arriving a chill went through her Jack could hid, and he was almost certainly an experienced killer - so he probably wasn't in danger, but she wasn't entirely sure why she trusted him given those things, other then his easy enough going personality and offer to help her without an obvious agenda.

But there was always the fear that the Jackal might track her out her and take on the lone man - she tried to be careful, but it only took a single slip on her part.

I hope he is ok she considered to herself.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception+Alertness: (5d10)[3][7][7][2][1](20)

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"Gather your wits." There was a sound, something like a hiss. Was that how Donovon sighed? Was it something else? "I will be there in ten." The phone clicked off.

Amy could hear Mike scream.

Erica

The phone got loud as Melanie tapped a fake fingernail on the speaker of the phone, the tapping like a drumbeat to her ear.

"Hm... it really isn't my taste, you know? However, I am curious to see how you operate... what do you have in mind, Miss Lee?"

Danielle
    She didn't hear him until he was within a few feet of her, dropping his obfuscate. "Ah, it's the depressing girl." He said it as if it were a compliment. "Thought you were trouble, maybe you are trouble." He offered a dark chuckle. "What brings you to my happy home tonight? Surely you haven't fallen in love with me have you?"

He leaned in close.

"You're not my type."

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Crap. Amy hesitates for just a fraction of second, looking around for something to use as a weapon, but nothing is immediately available. Screw it. She thinks, rushing back up the stairs. She's a vampire. Bare hands would have to do.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

Amy runs to find Mike looking all around him, his true, ugly face showing. Slick's looking up at Mike like he's crazy. Amy can't see or hear anything.

Mike jumps back again, seeing something out of the corner of his eye, but Amy doesn't catch it.

"Wh-what's going on. Ravnos. It must be a Ravnos!"

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Who cares what they say, right?" she replied, "no matter who they complain to, nobody will believe them. Therefore, no breach, as long as we do it right."

"They're not doing anything in there anyway," she added, "might as well do society some good while they're locked away."
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

What the hell IS a Ravnos? She has heard the name before, she knows, but can't remember where right now. And what is he looking at? Amy turns quickly around to see where the danger is, but there's nothing. The corridor is even brightly lit, not like something could hide in the shadows. Not that it matters much, doesn't it, with vampire disciplines and all.

"Mike." She tries to keep her own voice calm. No need panicking him further. "What is it? Where?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I know that it is going to be useless, but she's going to try and look around, so I will roll regardlessly.

Perception and alertness (7d10)[3][7][10][4][10][1][8](43)

Also, perception+empathy, to see what the hell is wrong with both mike and Slick (7d10)[2][3][1][1][2][3][2](14)

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Well at least she could identify people by hearing when they were hidden, which was nice, thought she would have to work at it.

And he was fine, which was better.

"Not love. Like maybe", shrugging "also you seem to be one of the few in town that is happy in yourself, and doesn't have a command line ahead of you" she offered a smile. He might be simply not interested in the dealings of vampires, or so good at the game that he avoided suspicion of even playing the game.

"No my main reason for being here is to ask you a series of questions so that I can gain some of the wisdom you mentioned", checking herself "hmm ... if you have time and don't mind of course".

"Game of cards?".

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

Erica

Erica heard a sensual, ruthless chuckle on the other end of the line. "Oh. Oh I like this. You are going to make a fine Ventrue. If only my own childe would be as creative as you. All right, you have my attention. Tell me what you want from my end, and what exactly is my share of the profit?"

Amy

Amy can tell that whatever Mike can see, she can't. It just plain isn't there, or he has some sort of extra sight that she doesn't, or Slick doesn't for that matter.

"I... things. They can't be real. They have to be illusions. D-Donovon will know what to do."

The laughter grew louder.

Danielle

It's hard to tell what Smiling Jack's expression is given his face is in a permanent rictus smile. He waits an extra moment before speaking, whatever reason there may be.

Come inside." The place inside is from something out of a movie, with shelves full of jars. The jars are sealed, and the vast majority are covered with a white cloth, covering their contents. She can smell different kinds of incense in the air.

The small kitchen and dining area is in disuses, cobwebs covering the former, and the latter shaky and uneven. It takes Jack half a minute to find some cards. They're old, and a couple cards are bent, which Danielle can't shake the feeling is on purpose. He sits on the other end.

"It's been some time since I've played cards. Ask me your first question, then we'll begin."

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy takes a deep breath and tries to calm down herself. She's no use to either Mike or Slick if she doesn't get her head together. Nevermind that she was panicking five minutes ago, she can't afford to do it now. There are two people who need her help.

"Alright" she says, quietly, to herself more than to him. She takes a couple of steps towards him, standing close to him and putting a hand on his shoulder, trying to offer what little comfort she can. "Mike... Uhm... Let's.. let's go downstairs, alright?" Not a lot else she can do right now, but at least she can get Mike and Slick comfortable.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Depends on how involved you want to get," Erica said, "I don't know if there'd be any profit in it, at least not at first. I was thinking more along the lines of a steady supply of...you know."

"I mean, we can't get much else done if we're always thinking about how to score some off unsuspecting kine, or if any in the know will spill the beans," she said.

"As for what we need, a way to get easy, unquestioned access for starters... I haven't really thought about how yet, but it shouldn't be too tough if we can get some paper credentials... and the second thing is for the whole place to be declared off-limits to everyone else," she said, "I have no idea how to get that done."

"Still interested?" she asked.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

Had she over stepped herself, been to familiar? She wasn't sure. But than she wasn't sure about a lot of things these days.

Looking at the wall she had to wonder about the contents, but tried to put it out of her mind ... trophies? ingredients? blood?, that last would be similar to her own place at least, the second too she supposed.

First question that had a clear implication that only ask one, so she would have to choose the best, not blood she coudl in theory work on that herself, not her ghost no need to sound crazy right off the bat, not hunting Desmund or the Jackal because they were not pressing.

"You mentioned I should come back when I had wisdom to share, the first night I was here" she started "so I suppose I should check what do you consider wisdom?" it was one she had been putting off as overly philosophical but it seemed the time to ask it. Right up there with why you thought they should fear me.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Andrew

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, dog tired out. Let's see what I can do here.

Andrew frowned, hands gripped tight around the steering wheel. "Go faster. I'm on a clock here." He sighed with relief when they pulled up to her house...

Until he saw the dog.

"Oh, come on! Getting the third-degree from Jules was bad enough. Now this?" The entire Masquerade might be foiled by some damned mutt from the pound. Julie was starting to stare. Can't stall any longer. Andrew heaved himself out of the car and approached the front door, giving the dog as wide a berth as he could. "C'mon, buddy," he pleaded mentally. "Keep it together, and I'll buy you all the damned Snausages you can eat."

Spoiler
    Show
    Puppy pic for good luck! (Now with 100% more cat!) http://i.imgur.com/cdG5yYg.jpg

Animal Ken: (4d10)[10][7][1][6](24)

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

It's ludicrous. Amy had already felt somewhat more the teacher than the student, now she had two of them to look after. Slick seemed to be slowly, but surely getting better, more so that Amy was there than anything else, while Mike just closed his eyes.

"Keep your eyes peeled Evaz. No... not the eyes, something else. Listen for him, or her. Has to be close by."

Donovon arrived a little early, a cold breeze heralding her arrival. She seemed to glide into the room as opposed to her normal shuffling. She was the stuff of nightmares, her one orange, baleful eye moving close to Amy.

"What happened?" Amy could see a rusted old blade peeking out of Donovon's sleeve.

Erica

"You're learning quickly, fledgling. Here's some free advice. Don't get too hung up on money. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's important, oh so important. However, there are other resources. Power, influence, territory, and vitae just as you say. I wouldn't mind having my fingers dipped in a bit of red."

Erica could almost hear her smile on the other side of the phone. "The first step is you scout the place. Play it cautious in case someone already has their own foot in the door. Second, you work your magic to get some pull. After you do that, you see if you can make it official with the Prince. Be prepared to offer a boon, or to owe him a favor. The former is smarter."

Danielle

Jack flipped the first card. It was of a dark castle. It was like a tarot card, but not like any she had seen before, perhaps the dead had their own version?

"Ah, the castle card. It means power. But this one is upside down, which means the failing of power." He cracked his knuckles. "Wisdom is therefore the ability to cause others to lose their power."

He was playing with Danielle, but was open about it. Wisdom could mean a hundred different things, and he chose to let the card dictate his answer.

Andrew

The dog offered a low growl, but between Andrew playing it cautious, and his sister giving the dog a stern look, it did not make a move.

The walked inside, the place was neat and orderly. She was always good and cleaning up after herself. She went into the fridge, pulling out a bottle of twenty dollar red wine.

"Make yourself comfortable. So Andy, you talk to mom and dad lately?"

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

She doesn't mind, she thinks as she gently guides both Slick and Mike downstairs. In a way, she is grateful. Having to think about them keeps her from focusing on...other stuff. Amy shoves the 'other stuff' in a corner of her mind and very firmly sits on it. She has other things to worry about, namely, whatever Mike is freaking out about. She can't hear anything but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything, of course. "ALRIGHT, WHATEVER IN THE FRIGGING HELL YOU ARE, IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER YOU'LL REGRET THAT." She shouts to the thin air. It's more to make herself feel better than anything else.

She had kept close to Mike, still keeping a hand on his shoulder, making it almost an half-hug. She releases him when Donovon appears, taking a step towards her. "Er..." Where should she start? "I was... we were... upstairs. I..." I think I was upset. But does Donovon really need to hear that? There are more important things to worry about right now than me being an idiot and panicking over Slick's painting, aren't there. "I...erm... I can't see anything. But Mike..." apparently can. And here's hoping she understands what he's on about.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-06-20 at 01:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

"I think it's a Ravnos." Mike is calmed now, at least as much as he can be given the situation, but he still has his eyes closed.

"There is no one else here."

Mike pauses. "But they can-"

"No one else is here."

Donovon's eyes moves amongst the three of them, the blade creeping back up her sleeve. "Tell me everything, child. "Even the smallest detail may shed light to this."

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

"Uhm...alright." She takes a breath, and starts from the beginning, telling it as she can remember it. Not that she remembers it very clearly. "Flat Face d-drove me back, and I decided to go upstairs to say hello and have a look at Slick's paintings, and..." there is where things start to get fuzzy in her memory "...and I don't know what happened. There was... it looked like there was a m-mirror, and that damned SMELL, and I thought... I felt..." She shrugs helplessly. She doesn't know how to describe it. "I think I f-freaked out. I thought it was going to... you know." Happen again, but she doesn't say it out loud.

After the tiniest pause she swallows and goes on "Slick was with me but I'm not sure what... he left at some point" She vaguely recalls that Slick freaked out too, but really can't remember it better than that. "And then Mike came up and... I, well, I was..." I was frigging FURIOUS with him. Where the hell did that come from? She has said to Danielle that she didn't blame Mike, hasn't she? Doesn't matter. You can hash that out with him later. "And, er... and then we went outside the room, and, well, Mike said there is someone throwing illusions at us, and Slick was...well, upset, and..." She takes a deep breath. Friggin' hell, SLOW DOWN. She's talking a mile a minute and she doubts that what she's saying is making much sense to Donovon.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle

That seemed to be one of the Jackal's sticks, or so she assumed from making Brent breath again, take away there power.
    Great he is wise too.

"Or wisdom is the ability to realise you don't have any power" she considered aloud. If he was playing with her then he likely wanted her to consider for herself.

Which meant asking about the blood was also out, it was her problem.

"Ok next question?" that was a question in itself, but she barreled through "how would you deal with Desmund and the Jackal?".

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Erica

"Okay, thanks for the advice," Erica replied, "I'll see what I can find out about the place."

She hung up the phone looked at her watch, considering her next step, before stepping into a taxi.

Spoiler
    Show
    What time is it? Erica will ride around for a bit, then switch from taxi to bus, then to a different bus, to try to lose anyone who might be following.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

"...so none of you know then?" Donovon's eyes moved to the other two. "Rest. All of you. I will send for some of the Prince's men to stand guard." She turned her back on them. "Rest."

Donovon shuffled near the door, and looked the way of where Elizabeth was cackling, causing it to stop. Silence filled the Flats.

Danielle

Jack laughed ruthlessly at Danielle's comment. "No power, eh? So little you know."

He flipped two more cards. The first was of a demonic jester, one hand on the ground, two legs kicking at the air. The second was of an eye with a bloody tear.

"The fool for Desmund. I hear the Caitiff was smart as a mortal, a prodigal son of some soulless science of man. He won't be outsmarted by little girls. Perhaps you need to be a fool to catch him. Perhaps you need to find a fool close to him. Perhaps you are a fool for even trying.

"The eye for Jackal. He sees you, or maybe you need to see him. His power is that he is unknown. Or maybe... you need to step into his eyes so to speak, see the world as he sees it. Not as a depressing Caitiff, but as the Hunter."

Erica

It's getting late. Maybe around 3AM. The place is open 24/7, but it is still an odd time to pay a visit. Erica would need to take one more taxi because no bus passes by the asylum for obvious security reasons. It's a mansion that's been converted on the inside, a large gate at the front with a single, tired guard in front of it.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Is that it? So much for Donovon knowing what to do, it seems. She unconsciously takes one step closer to Mike, she doesn't even know if to comfort him or to seek comfort from him. "But..." she calls behind Donovon. "But what's happening? Do you know?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-06-22 at 01:50 AM.