New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    And so we enter week two of Mookie trying to fill in backstory that did not exist previously. Shine on Mookie, Shine on.

Also, let me ask, does anyone here care about the Beast's "power level". Because first it gained some power, then it lost some power, and now it wants more power. And ugg, so meaningless to this narrative.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-27 at 12:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

For goodness sake Mookie, you had your flashback at after Maltak's rebirth on Friday and now you've doubled back.

However, David is not a duty:
    Spoiler
    Show

Alt. text for panel 1:
    And flying administration Infernomancer 1 chaos Shia, shift, escape, beast instead.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-27 at 12:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    And so we enter week two of Mookie trying to fill in backstory that did not exist previously. Shine on Mookie, Shine on.

Also, let me ask, does anyone here care about the Beast's "power level". Because first it gained some power, then it lost some power, and now it wants more power. And ugg, so meaningless to this narrative.
    Indeed.

Also, apparently M'ur'i was an adviser to the Archmagi and not an actual Archmage. Well, that helps explain why Snuggly bothered to kill him instead of DJ just Mind Controlling him.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. But at least it highlighted yet another plot hole produced by this multi-week exposition.

Good job Mookie. You're helping
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    However, David is not a duty

I wonder if David is a duty?

Wait, wait. I thought that Celesto went crazy because he tried to emulate the Beast's power. Now... the Beast's mind was inside him the whole time?
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

For goodness sake Mookie, you had your flashback at after Maltak's rebirth on Friday and now you've doubled back.
    And the attack on Lynn's Brook happened before Maltak's rebirth, which I believe happened before Celesto's escape. I think it's best to just smile and nod about the timeline at this point.

Edit: I just realized, Mookie is saying here that Celesto was fighting a mental influence of Snuggly that whole "Find Celesto" arc. And Super Seer Dominic not only didn't see this, but sent his brother to beat his head in.

What the hell Mookie, your protagonists are terrible, terrible people!
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-27 at 12:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Also, apparently M'ur'i was an adviser to the Archmagi and not an actual Archmage.
    no, he says adviser to the "circle magi", not the "archmagi". Meaning he was an archmage but not a member of the circle, only their adviser. Why and adviser and not a member? no clue. You'd think the most powerful of them would be counted amongst their members.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-08-27 at 12:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Barbarian in the Playground

The hilarity continues. "A potential threat was removed?" What threat? Murray was even more useless than Nimmel. He was introduced for the sole purpose of being killed off.

Oh, and killing Murray significantly drained the Beast's power, too. This is one scary villain we have here. Has to recuperate after killing a redshirt.

Also, King 'n' Beast have apparently forgotten their what their plan was. I thought the Beast's plan was to eat the universe, but now it's just "drawing power" from it? Or is that the same thing? And why weren't they able to do this "fragment and draw power" thing before? The Beast infected TIM, but was blown up before it could accomplish anything. What changed?

8. - Top - End - #668

GnomeWizardGuy

Edit: I just realized, Mookie is saying here that Celesto was fighting a mental influence of Snuggly that whole "Find Celesto" arc. And Super Seer Dominic not only didn't see this, but sent his brother to beat his head in.
    Dominic knew Celesto was mentally battling the Beast before he went to Maltak. The deal was that while Dominic deals with Maltak, Celesto contains the Beast otherwise Dominic would hurt him.

In 2010, Celesto escapes and keeps fighting the Beast, while Dominic takes an extended holiday in Maltak.

Oh, and in the Deeganverse, powerful seers can experience a condition called "mindbreak", where under great stress they can flip out and turn into a world-destroying abomination. Dominic knows this, because he almost went there himself the last time his store ran out of his favourite candy. And yet he chose to let Celesto battle this otherworldly abomination, alone, while being chained up and probably tortured, for months.

Basically:
    What the hell Mookie, your protagonists are terrible, terrible people!
    Edit: I originally wrote "In 2011, Celesto escapes...". It felt right as nothing has happened for years.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-27 at 01:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stuff
    Ahh...Err...I had forgotten this. Dear God, this is the type of hubris that would lead to a painful realization or comeuppance in other stories.

You're such a worthless writer Mookie.

10. - Top - End - #670

GnomeWizardGuy

Ahh...Err...I had forgotten this. Dear God, this is the type of hubris that would lead to a painful realization or comeuppance in other stories.
    For a while I honestly thought Dominic was intentionally written that way because this was where Mookie was aiming to go.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-27 at 01:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Time changes everything.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Who is King Brooke Lynn and why is he a castle now?

What photo did the Beast add? It was the one with him hugging the King, wasn't it?

You'd think Murray (not going to bother spelling his name) would have noticed that the archmages were behaving oddly and acted sooner.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

- If Mookie will keep saying "but David did not relent", he might start believing in that. As for us? I'm not so sure...

- So in Lynn's Brook it was technically the beast vs. the beast?
    David, the two parts of "your lord" preferred to fight each other in a forsaken village than try to re-establish the connection with you. GET THE HINT!

- In what way was Muri a threat? I think it was just Snuggly's ego, he wanted to be the only one with tentacles and a single eye.

14. - Top - End - #674

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky
    Future

Mookie, step away from the flashback. It's time to let it go.

In alternate dimension, it's time to get the people who kill:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-27 at 11:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

"No, most competent villain by virtue of failing to be redeemable in any way, you must sit down and take a nap while I do something inconsequential and easily turned toward our enemies' advantage, because here in villain-land we take turns and share." - King DJ Callan to TIM.

Mookie's hitting savant-like levels of bad storytelling here.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Dwarf in the Playground

And the flashback keeps on rolling. Last week, we covered stuff for people who didn't get the king was evil. Now we roll into covering stuff for the mentally handicapped in the audience.

Do we really need a flashback of "I'm going to go mind control the archmages", when it's been well established the archmages were mind controlled, and 3/4 of them are already dead?
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-27 at 11:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    "No, most competent villain by virtue of failing to be redeemable in any way, you must sit down and take a nap while I do something inconsequential and easily turned toward our enemies' advantage, because here in villain-land we take turns and share." - King DJ Callan to TIM.

Mookie's hitting savant-like levels of bad storytelling here.
    At least he did something, even if it was mostly just research and sending other people.
    At the same time, the protagonists were in their comfortable house, waiting for the magical components to fall in their lap.

And once again, what "damming evidence" is he talking about?!
    Last edited by random11; 2012-08-27 at 11:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    You know, when Celesto summoned fake Beasts to kill Chance, and then summoned an image of the King at that sword tournament. Or when people saw the mutated battlecasters, which the King mutated with their armor because.....

Why did he do that again?

19. - Top - End - #679

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    He's talking about when Celesto framed him with fake Snugglets at the tournament, and then Papa Masters got his associates to go through Dave's tax records and found he was paying $666.66 per week to the Evil Overlord Fund.

Do we really need a flashback of "I'm going to go mind control the archmages", when it's been well established the archmages were mind controlled, and 3/4 of them are already dead?
    What we're going to get is a detailed explanation of exactly why Dave ordered his archmage goons to go after Milov, Dominic and whoever else (I honestly can't remember anymore) and the broad details of his next sinister plan, because the only way Team Deegan can figure out what to do next is via convenient vision-based infodumps.

Oh and at some time right after this, Dave needs to have his entire brain scanned by Ara the Cloak Mage like a total idiot, because this is the only way Dominic could be learning all this right now.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

What we're going to get is a detailed explanation of exactly why Dave ordered his archmage goons to go after Milov, Dominic and whoever else (I honestly can't remember anymore) and the broad details of his next sinister plan, because the only way Team Deegan can figure out what to do next is via convenient vision-based infodumps.

Oh and at some time right after this, Dave needs to have his entire brain scanned by Ara the Cloak Mage like a total idiot, because this is the only way Dominic could be learning all this right now.
    This is by the far the least comprehensible page yet. Mookie is just skipping over important plot points because he cannot wave his hands hard enough to make them make sense.

- How was the world healing? Why would that affect Snuggly in the least?
    - Why did DJ infect his Battlecasters with Snuggly? How does this make them capable of reassembling TIM? Why does TIM need to be reassembled?
    - What evidence is there to damn DJ? Who is it damning him to?

Mookie needs to stop with this stupid exposition. It's not retroactively making the story worse (see Snowsong) but it is painfully revealing how little Mookie has thought this story through. I mean, Maltak was bad enough but at least Dominic didn't spend two weeks of exposition trying to justify how the events all fit together somehow when they clearly did not.

Gog but Mookie is an awful writer. He just needs to read these comics out-lout to someone and ask them if it makes sense. That's all it would take for him to identify the weak parts.

Y'know what, I'm going to write a more reasonable explanation, taking the information as of just before this train-wreck of exposition started.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DJ Callan was a powerful wizard and a talented Seer who was nonetheless tough enough to ascend the ranks of the Royal Knights -- the first commoner to do so. Devoted to the security of the kingdom he began studying the history of past empires and noticed that each suffered a decline in the power of its wizards before the natural or man-made disasters that ultimately caused them to collapse. From these studies he sought to discover the cause of this pattern and learned of the legendary Eldariat and their myth of a "Heart of Magic."

His inquiries into the Heart far exceeded any made since the time of the Eldariat and attracted the attention of the Archmagi of the Planar Pathways -- a council of powerful mages from parallel existence tasked with the preservation of all the planes from catastrophe. DJ showed talent not seen in Dominion since the time of the Eldariat and so the Archmagi contacted DJ and offered him their tutelage in exchange for him putting off his investigations into the Heart of Magic. Eager for knowledge, DJ agreed and became an Apprentice of the Archmagi.

DJ's skill expanded tremendously during his time amongst the Archmagi but he grew frustrated that they would not assist him in his studies. The Archmagi, being a defensive organization, were full of warnings about the hazards of trying to harness the Heart and that even studying it could cost him his body, if not his mind but DJ was overconfident in his powers and used the Archmagi's Sanctum in a dangerous ritual to See into the Heart and divine its inner workings. This ritual seared DJ's mind and body, permanently robbing him of his eyesight and unsettling his mind.

DJ was revived by the Archmagi and exiled from their Sanctum -- they decided that they had given him too much too soon and believed that the crippled man would be unable to interfere with the Heart again. But DJ was not one to give up easily and with the uncertain insight his Vision had granted him he concocted a plan to succeed where all others had failed.

First, he approached his King and Queen and demanded that they construct a dedicated corps of wizards under his personal command to secure the dominance of Callan for all time. At the time wizards had been seen as mere craftsmen, capable of telling fortunes or healing minor wounds -- there had been little dedicated study of the field and that which existed was mostly devoted to the study of the planes or pure research. DJ's fervor gave the royalty pause and they demurred; DJ responded by weaving a potent -- and then novel -- charm spell that changed their minds. DJ thus began the construction and training of the "Battlecasters" whose ostensible duty was to support the Royal Knights in the defense and security of Callan. In truth they were secretly devoted to DJ and his Grand Plan for the tethering of the Heart of Magic to Callan for all time.

But the establishment of the Battlecasters was only one step along the road and before DJ could go further he needed to know more about the Heart and its influence on the Plane. From the civilian wizards he had learned of the Elemecca and how it had somehow created and maintained all of the planes of existence; it was little understood and difficult, if not dangerous to study directly. Boldly, DJ went to the Elemecca and used the knowledge of the Archmagi to construct a spell to investigate the flows that regulate Dominion, using his own dead yet empowered eyeballs as a focus to draw out the threads that represented the Heart's influence. His spell successfully cast he went back to Dominion to nurture his Battlecasters. For over a year the spell reported back a great deal of information about the Elemecca and the Heart but suddenly it stopped giving information and began demanding it. "Who am I? Who are you?" the spell asked DJ in his dreams and when DJ went to investigate he discovered that his spell had gone awry and become something... greater.

No longer was the spell investigating the Elemecca; it was now fused to it, entwined with the portions of it that regulated Dominion. The spell was alive and hijacked the Elemecca's machinery to build itself a body and a home within the plane. DJ did not know how his spell had transformed as it did, but this new entity -- The Beast -- seemed linked to DJ's mind in some way. At the time The Beast was a primal entity, desiring nothing more than its continued existence and growth. Unsure as to how he could use The Beast, DJ nonetheless established a rapport and bid it to grow larger and stronger; and so it did, but in the process it began to feed off of DJ's mind and warp his thoughts.

Over the years the Battlecasters had become a potent force in Callan and the study of wizardry was transformed from the purview of carnies and scholars into the backbone of the Callanian economy. Teleportation networks, crystal communicators -- the Magical Revolution brought Callan to the zenith of its powers and it was then that DJ grew wary that his enchantment of the King and Queen might be discovered. In order to preserve his office he compelled the King & Queen to introduce the idea of an "elected" King to the people of Callan and supported DJ as their candidate. The idea was so novel that no realistic opposition was able to form before the election and, thanks to DJ's role in bringing the Magical Revolution to Callan, he was elected by a landslide that was mostly, if not entirely, legitimate. When the King and Queen died later of a sudden but mysterious wasting illness DJ made sure that they received a state funeral but that the subsequent inquiry was quiet and inconclusive.

Now King, DJ found that the needs of his kingdom were far greater than he imagined. Infernomancy, previously a sporadic threat kept in check by the Luanian Church had become an epidemic. While consolidating power in Callan, DJ had encouraged the King & Queen to persecute the only other major Seer-based power in the kingdom -- the Church -- in order to enact his plan without detection. However, without the Church's active presence the commoners had taken to making deals with the Lords of Hell for power and influence while their more naturally gifted fellow countrymen rose on the crest of the Magical Revolution. Without Luanian Seers to ferret out Infernomancers DJ worried he would need to devote his own Battlecasters to the task which would slow down his Grand Plan. DJ was on the cusp of making this decision when the discovery that the Heart was set to move onto Orc-kind led him to attempt to kill two birds with one stone.

DJ's study of the Heart lead him to believe that the Heart "selected" people to favor for a time before moving on, granting them enhanced magical abilities and understanding. While the Orcs had only practiced a crude form of land-magic through Chandaks up to them, DJ knew that the Heart's influence would permit them to draw on its power and become wizards as strong as Callanians while Callan would dwindle in magical power. As the Orcs were known to be a warlike people -- having split into segregated clans as the result of a bloody religious war -- DJ feared greatly for Callan if they rose to power. While DJ did not fully understand what influenced the Heart's movement he was certain that the devastation of the Orc people would, at the very least, disrupt the Heart's movement and grant him more time to strengthen Callan's hold on it. To this end he secretly recruited known Infernomancers for his Battlecaster corps, placing them in charge of units that DJ was certain would be filled with most, if not all, of the Infernomancers in the kingdom. Once the Callanian military was infested with Infernomancers it was simple enough to concoct a reason to attack the Orcs and send these tainted men to either kill orcs or die at their hands.

The Orc War was an unmitigated disaster for Callan. First it saw the destruction of much of the Battlecaster Corps at the hands of the Orcs and later the Infernomancers. Secondly it nearly triggered the greatest event of Infernomancy to date -- the summoning of a Lord of Hell and his armies to Dominion -- which would have been a worse threat to DJ's plan than any number of Orcs. Finally the massive mobilization of Infernomancers roused the suspicions of the Luanians who were able to demand concessions of DJ lest they reveal his consorting with Infernomancers to the Callanian public. In return for exterminating the remaining Infernomancers and covering up their involvement the Luanians received unfettered access to the Callanian people and returned to their former work as missionaries and healers. The one bright spot was that some act of Infernomancer -- the poisoning of Maltak by Tox'xel -- had infected the souls of the Orcs in such a way that the path of the Heart was altered. While it was still heading away from Callan it was not going to the Orcs nor anywhere else for quite some time.

Following the Orc War, DJ found his kingdom battered by numerous magical afflictions -- the return of the Storm of Souls, an unbreakable curse from an embittered Orc Chandak -- and knew that he needed more power if he was able to see his plan to fruition; power that was beyond his reach in the Sanctum of the Archmagi. Using his tremendous talent of Second Sight he searched for the one other human most capable to aiding him in his task and discovered Miranda Deegan. Studying her past revealed that she was instrumental in stopping the Lord of War from invading Dominion and later cast the Storm of Souls into the Elemecca in an attempt to prevent The Chosen from harnessing it for their own aims. Ironically, Miranda was the greatest living threat to his plans and yet she could serve as his greatest ally if properly conditioned.

DJ immediately took Miranda under his wing and subtly enchanted her to act as his devoted student. Unlike the spell that compelled the former King & Queen of Callan this spell had to be far more delicate -- influencing her decisions without alerting her enlightened mind. It took DJ years before he was satisfied with his enchantment of Miranda at which point he appointed her the Dean of the Royal College of Wizards at Quiral so that she could keep an eye on his interests amongst the burgeoning ranks of civilian wizards in Callan. Having performed his greatest act of wizardry to date, DJ make preparations for one greater: enchanting the most powerful wizards in known existence to serve his wishes.

His preparations complete, DJ petitioned the Archmagi for re-admittance -- he had studied the Heart for years against their wishes and finally was convinced that it was too dangerous to try and control. The Archmagi had paid only cursory attention to DJ in the years since he was exiled and thus were completely unprepared for the subtle magics that ensorcelled their minds even as DJ made his plea for clemency. By his closing statement each member of the Council was bound to DJ's will and so they permitted DJ to not just return to their Sanctum but elevated him as the first Archmage of the Fifth Circle since the Eldariat. This work granted DJ with unfettered access to the accumulated lore of the Council but drained him of most of his power leaving him incapable of doing any major act of wizardry for years to come. The common people took no special notice when the King took on a Royal Seer to manage the day-to-day prognostication and communication needed to maintain the kingdom, nor that their King left more and more of the kingdom's rule to the nobles and the courts. And, of course, only the parties involved noticed when DJ "retired" from his duties as a Circle Archmage and place Miranda as his replacement and devoted himself entirely towards the study of the Heart. Indeed, it was not until the War in Hell that DJ next concerned himself with the immediate welfare of his kingdom, let alone the outside world.

The War in Hell, like the Orc War before it, had far-reaching ramifications. First it destroyed the cozy infrastructure that had built up over the decades of DJ's benign neglect. Second the blast damaged the Elemecca and disrupted magic all over the world -- including DJ's potent charm spells. Finally, and again fortunately, that rupture permitted The Beast to extend its reach into Dominion where it began drawing on the essences of several magic-rich locations: Hell, Maltak and, of course, Callan. Thanks in large part to the Deegans the Beast had been granted three major pawns since its birth: TIM, cast into the Beast's maw by a mind-controlled Miranda; Celesto, sucked into the inner-workings of the Elemecca by Dominic in the aftermath of the third coming of the Storm of Souls; and of course, DJ Callan. Through DJ the Beast had an understanding of Dominion and the magical properties of Maltak; TIM granted the Beast access to the souls of Hell; Celesto infused The Beast with chaos and the ability to manipulate the ordered forms (i.e. bodies) found throughout Dominion. Pried loose from its home in the Elemecca, the Beast used this opportunity to stretch into a new world where it would not need to hide from the omnipotent repair mechanisms of the Elemecca and where it could perhaps make a world that would suit it.

The Beast was clumsy in its first steps into Dominion and did a poor job of coordinating its parts. TIM and Celesto came to blows as each sought to gain dominance over The Beast within while DJ reeled from the collapse of his kingdom and desperately sought to return his Plan to order while contending with the mental struggle of the Beast. Through a bloody struggle the four parties reached a manner of accord: the Beast would bide its time (after having won a Pyrrhic victory in a head-on conflict with an Archmage) while DJ disposed of his pawns (by sending the Archmage into suicidal conflict with their allies as their mental conditioning unwound). TIM would contend himself to slaughter only at the direction of The Beast (his ego long ago consumed) while Celesto was to lend his powers as the Champion of Chaos to disrupt the path of the Heart of Magic for all time such that the four of them could gain absolute power over Dominion. Of course, this fourth piece is being heavily resisted by the fortified mind of an exceptional Seer but The Beast is certain that it is only a matter of time before Celesto, too, makes his peace with the inevitable...

Wow, that was long. Man, remember when I wrote stuff like this all the time?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Haven't been here in a while, how's the snark?

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

At this point, the plot so little sense, that we have no idea whats going on.

the main villain is the secondary villain's eyes.

No really. The main villain, is DJ Callan's mutated eyes.

I'm not making this up.

its THAT bad.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #683
    Dwarf in the Playground

stuff
    Man, I wish that was the story we were getting instead of the drivel that we're actually getting...

24. - Top - End - #684
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stuff
    Hey nice job. Now if you built all this into the background setting of your 10 year comic, slowing hinting at stuff and threading the building blocks of this backstory throughout your other arcs, you'd have a really nifty final grand plot.

Now you've just got to fix the previous arcs, ditch heroic rapists, make the heroes not unlikeable jerks, and improve the art. Still great rewrite.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-08-28 at 02:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

David is such a good villain his plan was foiled by people who didn't realise he was doing anything.

26. - Top - End - #686

Griffon

Stuff
    I remember, long ago, when webcomics were a visual medium. They used pictures and colour to show what was going on, allowing the reader to interpret the plot through the abstract form of 'seeing someone do it'.

Mookie has always been bad at "Show, Don't Tell", but how could he fail to notice that two weeks ago he gave up and turned Dominic Deegan into a webnovel?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #687
    Barbarian in the Playground

You know, when Celesto summoned fake Beasts to kill Chance, and then summoned an image of the King at that sword tournament. Or when people saw the mutated battlecasters, which the King mutated with their armor because.....

Why did he do that again?
    I'm pretty sure it was never explained why the King mutated his battlecasters. And since this exposition flashback glossed over it, I'm pretty sure it never will be explained. It's just a random plot point that was thrown in for no reason, like the "multiple businesses" nonsense.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure it was never explained why the King mutated his battlecasters"

It was demonstrated that the battlecasters were made stronger by the "dark magic", but with side effect that they were corrupted by it. A theme that has appeared in many many other stories in similar manner, often only shown in similar indirect way.

"- How was the world healing? Why would that affect Snuggly in the least?" When Magic was homeless because OrkLand was sick, Snuggly could sneak in at night and snack on Power. But once world/OrkLand was healing, Magic had home again and wasn't as vulnerable.

"the main villain is the secondary villain's eyes." Lord of the Rings, the perhaps main villain is the secondary villian's Ring of Power. (Eg. If Elf queen or wizard took ring of Power they would replace Sauron as supreme evil) Many other stories have the secondary villain summon/create the main villain. For example in Feywinds webcomic, including todays page. (Magic Constructs there are built from pieces of the dead, etc and act similar to persons)

OOTS has similar planar supposed 'beast' (Snarl) trapped inside the main world, trying to escape through tears, that was created by disagreements.
    Last edited by multilis; 2012-08-28 at 12:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    "I'm pretty sure it was never explained why the King mutated his battlecasters"

It was demonstrated that the battlecasters were made stronger by the "dark magic", but with side effect that they were corrupted by it. A theme that has appeared in many many other stories in similar manner, often only shown in similar indirect way.
    Seeing as the "stronger" battlecasters were defeated by yelling really loudly, I'd hate to see how the regular ones held up in a fight.

Besides, the real problem is that we have to guess at his motives. If the mutant battlecasters are stronger, we should be able to see that (having them launch a successful attack would be a nice start). As of right now, the only advantage I've seen is that the mutants are totally loyal to Snuggly, which shouldn't be an issue since DJ is so fond of mind control--Plus he's their freaking King and their general and he founded the Battlecasters in the first place, so they should be loyal enough already.

"the main villain is the secondary villain's eyes." Lord of the Rings, the perhaps main villain is the secondary villian's Ring of Power. (Eg. If Elf queen or wizard took ring of Power they would replace Sauron as supreme evil) Many other stories have the secondary villain summon/create the main villain. For example in Feywinds webcomic, including todays page. (Magic Constructs there are built from pieces of the dead, etc and act similar to persons)
    I'll grant that "The Beast is the King's eyes!" is not necessarily a bad plot point by itself. It could have even been a cool twist in the hands of a competent writer. The problem is that the comic keeps insisting the Beast is the real main villain here, and has been for some time. Look at today's comic, where the Beast is repeatedly referred to as the King's "master" or "lord." Now actually compare how the characters are used.

King DJ Callan:
    • Created the Beast
    • Has his own goal separate from the Beast's
    • Makes all the plans
    • Gives the Beast orders
    • Is clearly more competent (the Beast's significant failures all happened when it tried to act on its own initiative)
    • Is a more interesting character

Snuggly:
    • Made the King call him "Lord" once

See the problem? It's not that the main villain used to be the secondary villain's eyes; it's that the main villain might as well literally be the secondary villain's eyes for all the initiative it's showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

awesome stuff
    Why aren't you doing a webcomic, again?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.