New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Because Mookie gets confused with terms he invented.
    This, pretty much.

It's bad enough that Mookie can't keep his rules of magic right, but the fact that he's confused the very nomenclature of his main character this late in the game is embarrassing for everyone involved
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #782
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Oh wow. If this doesn't end with Dominic bilnd and/or mad then I suggest the world starts using "Dominic Deegan" as the term for non fan-fiction Mary Sues.

I can't remember if the king has specifically been called a seer but he has visions and could detect Dominic scrying on him which is the sort of thing only Celesto and Outrage Chief (is he a seer?) can do. If the king's whole deal is that he had a vision of the Heart of Magic he must be an oracle, plus there's the blind seer look and the whole "doesn't need eyes to see" thing.

In "I love Dominique", Dominique learns an important lesson:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Don't feel like going back through the archives to check, but IIRC there is two kinds of second sight stuff, there's random visions, which only special people get (and the first ones all showed up on the same day), and there's active scrying attempts, which any mage who cares to can learn how to do. Don't recall the given names for them, assuming they're still accurate these days.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Oh wow. If this doesn't end with Dominic bilnd and/or mad then I suggest the world starts using "Dominic Deegan" as the term for non fan-fiction Mary Sues.
    Even replacing "Steven Seagal"?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Even replacing "Steven Seagal"?
    "Seagal", "Deegan", what's the difference? *relurks*
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if I'm going to be more disappointed if Dominic (swear to god, I accidentally typed "Mookie" there first) goes blind or if he doesn't.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #787

GnomeWizardGuy

Seagal's characters are jocks. And at least they had to do stuff to win.

I really want to see Tuesday's comic now. For any other writer I would say this is an obvious show of hubris in Dominic and the result will be him turning into a blind and crazy Dave 2.0. But this is Dominic Deegan, so the likelihood of that happening is near zero.

What I suspect will happen is Dom learns some truth about the Heart of Magic but the experience blinds him. Everyone will fawn over Dom's sacrifice and ignore that this is a pretty stupid thing to do.

At least I hope the experience blinds him or that Dom suffers at least something for his hubris, because for some reason there is still a part of me that has to believe that Mookie isn't that terrible a writer.
    Edit: @Zaq: Although I guess, if Mookie does go there, I can squash that belief for good. I'll be fine with that.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-08-31 at 10:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Barbarian in the Playground

< delurks >

Spoiler
    Show

< relurks >

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The Plot Contrivance is strong with this one.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Seagal's characters are jocks. And at least they had to do stuff to win.

I really want to see Tuesday's comic now. For any other writer I would say this is an obvious show of hubris in Dominic and the result will be him turning into a blind and crazy Dave 2.0. But this is Dominic Deegan, so the likelihood of that happening is near zero.

What I suspect will happen is Dom learns some truth about the Heart of Magic but the experience blinds him. Everyone will fawn over Dom's sacrifice and ignore that this is a pretty stupid thing to do.

At least I hope the experience blinds him or that Dom suffers at least something for his hubris, because for some reason there is still a part of me that has to believe that Mookie isn't that terrible a writer.
    Edit: @Zaq: Although I guess, if Mookie does go there, I can squash that belief for good. I'll be fine with that.
    Yeah, pretty much this. The odds are that Dominic will go blind, and this will affect him even less than his missing leg (though probably not less than his brittle bones, because to do that, it would have to help him . . . and now that I've said that, it probably will).

If he actually went crazy, well, a decent writer could actually make that interesting. We've pretty much all been saying for years that Dominic needs to be the source of the last major set of problems in the comic, as an explicit antagonist or not. That would be a way to make that happen. So, of course, it is forbidden. (Also, it would be a consequence, and we can't have those.)

You know what might be kinda interesting, in a stupid way? If this doesn't make Dominic go blind, but it makes his second sight go blind. Since this is a vision, don'cha know.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-08-31 at 10:52 PM.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

11. - Top - End - #791

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    You know what might be kinda interesting, in a stupid way? If this doesn't make Dominic go blind, but it makes his second sight go blind. Since this is a vision, don'cha know.
    That's too costly a consequence except for the very end of the comic. If Dom loses his second sight he's more useless than SmugGreg.

You would think being a teacher of divination Dominic would know the correct safety procedure. Diviniation Safety 101 must cover the basics like "Don't look directly at the Heart of Magic".

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Oh you fools.

Dominic is obviously not going to go blind. the last refuge of a bad idealistic writer is to pull the "power of love/pure heart/kindness/whatever other omnipotent force of positivity you care to insert" card out of nowhere, because the Heart of Magic…is in fact….wait for it….

the heart of all humanoids themselves

and that OBVIOUSLY, since Dominic's heart is PURE and GOODLY, he is in fact staring his own soul of innocent purity and perfect goodliness, which will actually heal his leg or something. Callan only went blind, because he stared into heart of magic, and since you can only view the heart of magic from the viewpoint of your own soul, he saw how horribly messed up and stupid he was, and his eyes went blind due to stupidity and horribleness overload.

Bleeeech.

and I bet you? the actual comic will make less sense, than what I just explained will happen. and Dominic, will still not be blind.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #793

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Dominic is obviously not going to go blind. the last refuge of a bad idealistic writer is to pull the "power of love/pure heart/kindness/whatever other omnipotent force of positivity you care to insert" card out of nowhere, because the Heart of Magic…is in fact….wait for it….

the heart of all humanoids themselves
    You're confusing Dominic Deegan with I Love Dominique.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh god, I've been reading this comic for years out of morbid fascination. I didn't realize there were other people who were embracing its suck until now!

Just curious, how did we get Monday's comic already?

Until the last panel it seemed like he was actually giving into hubris or whatever and he was gonna get blinded. But the last panel is too 'ooh look at me all epic and stuff' for it to go poorly. Anyway, dere's to hoping Dominic just straight up dies and we get a big bold "THE END. F@#$ YOU."
    Last edited by Anodai; 2012-09-01 at 12:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anodai View Post
    Just curious, how did we get Monday's comic already?
    Mookie often updates his comic early on his webspace. If you go to say http://dominic-deegan.com/comics/20120903.gif you'll see Monday's comic. It's then a simple matter of changing the date, and seeing if you get a comic.

Thankfully, his random image directory is no longer public. Twas a bit creepy, even if those ladies agreed to that photography.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-09-01 at 01:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Mookie, you have a chance here to redeem maybe up to 2% of your comic. I will forgive you for Randy, Stunt "killing" his mum and the granDeegans disapproving of Donovan arc if you do this.

Permanent and debilitating consequences. You can't just have Dominic go blind if he can still use his second sight and give him a power boost to boot. It has to be something that hurts him, not another excised leg. It can't be "metal" white orb eyes although I'm still not sure if he'll suffer any consequences, even the blindness which shouldn't even affect him.

Pride is his greatest and most egregious flaw. Make him suffer. Dominic needs to see the error of his ways and he needs to change.

Do it. Don't make Dominic's flimsy justifications right.

Why didn't Mookie put Dominic's speech into thought bubbles?

Oh, and who's betting that he'll see Klo Tark who is an angel who lives in the Heart of Magic which is heaven? Heaven being a comet is too metal rock on for Mookie to pass up.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one bothered by monday's 2nd panel? What is that streak on Domi's eyes-area?

18. - Top - End - #798
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here is my prediction for what will happen next:

1) Mookie is embraced by the heart of magic and goes "Super Saiyan" on everyone, and then
    2) Mookie goes blind and then throws his eyes into the Elemecca, which then combine with his leg and form an even more powerful entity,
    3) Dominic will recruit every previous character to form a super Team that will, after a lot of needless emo and unbelievable plot twists, win in a final battle orchestrated by Dominic,
    4) DJ and the Beast go apocalyptic when they realize they can't win, just because "it's evil."
    5) Luna somehow saves everyone and uses her special eggs to repopulate the universe,
    6) DJ goes down to Hell, where he is carved up and eaten by Karnak,
    7) every other character (e.g. Nimmel, Jacob, etc) will hook up with another character.

19. - Top - End - #799

OldWizardGuy

Dom's lost teeth, a leg, and his virility. Mookie isn't afraid to give him disabilities, he's just aversed to making those disabilities actually matter.

It's 50/50 on if Dom gets blinded. If so, 50/50 if he gets his sight back later.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Dwarf in the Playground

You all know you were thinking this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Just saw the future, future update..."how do I into plot" is what I'm thinking mookie is going for.
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-09-01 at 12:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I cannot believe Mookie just pulled this.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

I ran this concept by my roommate. We came up with the phrase "Superman is a total Dominic Deegan." Which is terrifyingly true, if you think about it.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post

It's 50/50 on if Dom gets blinded. If so, 50/50 if he gets his sight back later.
    I say 50/50 he gets blinded, 100% if so that he starts using his second sight to see things like Paul from Dune, but not handled anywhere near as well.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Mookie knows what blindness is. Even before DJ, who is (not?) a seer, we've had TIM acting perfectly sighted (including reading!) forever.

One thing that might be cool, so it wouldn't happen: Dom goes blind and uses second sight for everything. As a result, he starts becoming incapable of distinguishing between "normal" sight/second sight and visions. And recall that we've seen Jacob, a non-seer, plant visions in Dom's mind, so who knows who else could start doing the same . . .

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Here is my prediction for what will happen next:

1) Mookie is embraced by the heart of magic and goes "Super Saiyan" on everyone, and then
    2) Mookie goes blind and then throws his eyes into the Elemecca, which then combine with his leg and form an even more powerful entity,
    3) Dominic will recruit every previous character to form a super Team that will, after a lot of needless emo and unbelievable plot twists, win in a final battle orchestrated by Dominic,
    Is that intentional?

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

If Domonic does get punished for this, it's not because he was being prideful. It's because he did something, even if it was as small as looking at something. Doing something is inexcusable in this world and a cardinal sin.

The moral of this story is not "don't reach too far", it's "don't reach."

27. - Top - End - #807

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    If Domonic does get punished for this, it's not because he was being prideful. It's because he did something, even if it was as small as looking at something. Doing something is inexcusable in this world and a cardinal sin.

The moral of this story is not "don't reach too far", it's "don't reach."
    Now, you know that's not true. For instance, Dominic went on a vacation that one time. That's doing something. Granted, he didn't work to save up for a vacation (his students were selling their bodies to make the money for him) or go through the trouble of researching his destinations to work out an itinerary (if Brian didn't tell them exactly were to go, they had tour guides holding their hands, or local dignitaries willing to act as tour guides), but he probably had to pack! And he walked up the gangplank to the ship, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    He's like Tommy, he reads by sense of smell.
    So does that make him a Pinball Wizard?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

29. - Top - End - #809

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    One thing that might be cool, so it wouldn't happen: Dom goes blind and uses second sight for everything. As a result, he starts becoming incapable of distinguishing between "normal" sight/second sight and visions. And recall that we've seen Jacob, a non-seer, plant visions in Dom's mind, so who knows who else could start doing the same . . .
    That's my favourite part of Monday's update. Dom's reasoning is literally "I only ever get vitally important visions that tell me what to do next, therefore I have to look."

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

That's my favourite part of Monday's update. Dom's reasoning is literally "I only ever get vitally important visions that tell me what to do next, therefore I have to look."
    Also "My mind is a fortress." Something you'd think would be true of any being capable of standing as an Archmage.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.