New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Something about this line from panel 5 seems wrong to me. I keep reading it to myself and it just sounds awkward.
    It's because Mookie can't separate his knowledge as writer from that of his characters. All Luna should know from Dom's words and body language is that he has seen something particularly disturbing. But since Mookie knows specifically that either Dominic has/might do something horrible or that something horrible has/might happen to Dominic, everyone in the comic knows that too.

Edit: (random11 below)
    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Maybe Dominic will be addicted to the heart of magic like DJ was, and change his life goals?
    (Like others said before, that would make him EVIL, because he has goals)
    Dominic's one of the few main characters with no goals whatsoever. At least SmugGreg wants to sing in his band. Or going for the lowest awfullest bar, Luna wants her man to be happy. Dominic doesn't want anything - I'm not even sure if he wants to be left alone anymore. He's just there filling the lead protagonist slot.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-03 at 11:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    Something about this line from panel 5 seems wrong to me. I keep reading it to myself and it just sounds awkward.
    The thing that bothers me here is her nagging.
    Dominic asked for a moment, he didn't even say "I don't want to talk about it".
    Let him breath for a minute after a vision before you start accusing him of keeping secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    So. That's it. Wow. And here I was thinking there'd be consequences in this comic. Silly me.
    Maybe Dominic will be addicted to the heart of magic like DJ was, and change his life goals?
    (Like others said before, that would make him EVIL, because he has goals)

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, what utterly anticlimactic thing did Dominic see and is keeping secret in order to build some more very short-lived tension? As of now I'm thinking it showed Dominic what the King is planning to do next, because of course we can't ever have our intelligent protagonist ever figure out anything using his intelligence. It's probably something that was supposed to be shocking and terrifying but just seems laughable and nonsensical, like turning the entire population of Callan into Smuggly battlecaster mutants in order to create greater focus for the Heart because magibabble.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-09-03 at 11:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Orc in the Playground

He saw the light at the end of the tunnel and realized the comic was going to end...
    Not a robot

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, Mookie really blew our expectations out of the water with this one.

Will he go blind? Will becoming blind make him god? Will Mookie make a big deal of how bad what happened to him is supposed to be?

Will he actually do the right thing and let something truly bad really happen to this person?

Answer: None of the above. In fact, nothing at all. The protagonist just made a staggering choice in direct regard to THE MacGuffin. He reaches out to take hold of the single most consequential and dangerous thing in his entire universe, and what becomes of it?

...nothing...

So much nothing that it might as well not have happened. His decision was predicated on the idea that this event must be important, but one page later it turns out to be so crushingly meaningless that it really might as well not have happened at all.

Will this even be brought up in the future? What possible impact could an event so void of... event possibly have on this or any narrative?

This is worse then bad. This is some kind of artistic black hole. This comic transcends mere laziness, ineptitude, insanity, or simple contempt for its audience. This... there are no words...

There is nothing to say because there's nothing here, yet somehow we read it. This is Schrodinger web-comic....
    ...with a vengeance!

6. - Top - End - #846

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I should revise my prediction algorithm for this comic. Mookie has gone from always choosing something mind numbingly stupid with plenty of unfortunate implications to choosing the most boring option available.... For the love of god why? Stick with your strengths man!

7. - Top - End - #847

AssassinGuy

Bit of an anti-climax, but I'll give Mookie the benefit of the doubt and assume that he did this on purpose. I do like Dominic's sheer disappointment at himself when he realizes that his initial fear of the Heart (turning away from it) cost him the opportunity to look into it. Now he'll never know if the Heart would have granted him blindness or illumination.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

…………………..

…………………..

…………………..

Thats….like……surpassing 8-bit theatre in anti-climaxes.

……….thats…….like…………

like……

an anti-thing. its a gnith. a gnithyreve. a unspeakable. a Not. a divide by zero.

Does not compute. its Null. Void. a Voidnull nullvoid. A….Nuloid if you will.

Yes thats the closest think I can call this. this anti-climax is Nuloid.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

What are the chances that the Heart of Magic didn't vanish back into space but went into Dominic (who would then be called HoMinic)?

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    However I did like how TP distilled one bubble down to the vaguely ominous "No, you will know".
    "Vision is no exception" could be remarkably accurate if Dom's gone blind/lost his second sight. It's more likely that the Hom made him allergic to Mavpel or something though.

10. - Top - End - #850

I have a bad feeling that Katya (who is also a seer) just saw the Heart of Magic, and that is why she screamed out. If that is the case, Mookie just proved that everything falls in place for Team Deegan.

He's explicitly stated that he spends 8 hours a day on each comic.
    I can't imagine that he spends that much time on each comic. He must include the time he spends on making his books, planning for conventions, and playing video games (as inspiration).
    The only other explanation is that it takes him a long time to draw, and that he goes through a lot of rough drafts of each comic.

Regarding Star Power: I hope that working with someone else will force Mookie to plan in advance, and that discussing his ideas with someone else can help him overcome some of his flaws. Let's just say I'm keeping my expectations low.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Pixie in the Playground

This is so amazingly suddenly anticlimactic that it's creepy. It's handled weirdly but I have to believe that even Mookie wouldn't just drop something that huge. More is going on here than we realize.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    …………………..

…………………..

…………………..

……….thats…….like…………

like……

an anti-thing. its a gnith. a gnithyreve. a unspeakable. a Not. a divide by zero.

Does not compute. its Null. Void. a Voidnull nullvoid. A….Nuloid if you will.

Yes thats the closest think I can call this. this anti-climax is Nuloid.
    You have reached the core of the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    But I don't know why I'm surprised. The more I contemplate this comic, the more the void behind it all starts sucking at me. I see why anyone who tries to seriously analyse it goes mad - you stare into the abyss and it stares back until you blink.

After 10 years there's just so much nothing. What are the politics in this world? Nothing. What are the issues with race in this world? Nothing (now that that one orc, Siggy and his dad are dead). What about homophobia? Non-existent. Distinctive backgrounds? Only the void. Character motivations? Paper over a crack into madness. Distinct faces? The void is all and all are the void. Sensible villains? There is no fighting the nothing. Diverse magic users? All magic just sucks more into the void. It is not a beam but an obliteration we see.

Religion?

The void is me, and I am the void.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm just worried that Mookie was originally going to do something, then chickened out and gave us this anticlimax.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    In other news, I have been reading about how experts perfect their craft by spending 10,000 hours on something. Since Mookie has been doing DD for 10 years, he should have reached that mark if he spent at least 3 hours a day on each comic. I think that means that Mookie has become as good as he is ever going to be.
    It's not that simple. If Mookie had spent the past ten years challenging himself, improving his craft, and making the best webcomic he could make, then he'd be an expert webcomic author. As it stands, he's spent the past ten years churning out a crappy product for no effort, and so he has become an expert at producing crappy webcomics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    It's not that simple. If Mookie had spent the past ten years challenging himself, improving his craft, and making the best webcomic he could make, then he'd be an expert webcomic author. As it stands, he's spent the past ten years churning out a crappy product for no effort, and so he has become an expert at producing crappy webcomics.
    For evidence of this sort of evolution:

Schlock Mercenary: June 12, 2000
    Schlock Mercenary: June 12, 2010

This is what Mookie could have been in an alternate universe where he wasn't as lazy.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #856

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    8-bit Theatre's anti-climaxes were still funny and part of the comic's thematic style. This one is just infuriating.

I know I'm just throwing money in a hole, but I bet 5 Monies that Katya goes blind from the HoM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    In other news, I have been reading about how experts perfect their craft by spending 10,000 hours on something. Since Mookie has been doing DD for 10 years, he should have reached that mark if he spent at least 3 hours a day on each comic. I think that means that Mookie has become as good as he is ever going to be.
    The thing is, experts get better at what they actually do, not at what they should be doing. That is to say, Mookie hasn't gotten any better at making comics as a general talent; he's gotten better at making Dominic Deegan, with all that that implies.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

I just read the last one and a half weeks or so of updates in one go and I am seriously stunned by how absurdly bad this comic is.

At this point this whole arc feels like at some point Mookie had around a thousand ideas about how to end this comic, all at the same time (all of them bad, because they were, after all, Mookie's ideas).

But then, he forgot to write them down, or was too lazy to do so. Or, I don't know, maybe he was so excited by the strange sensation of having ideas that he was just completely overwhelmed.

Either way, he now only remembers some bits and pieces of those ideas and makes comics out of them, hoping that the scraps of a thousand ideas will somehow amalgamate into some sort of cohesive story if he just smashes them together hard enough.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-09-04 at 01:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

Every so often, I remember that the Beast was defeated by a Halloween mask and a teddy bear and it amazes me.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    I should revise my prediction algorithm for this comic. Mookie has gone from always choosing something mind numbingly stupid with plenty of unfortunate implications to choosing the most boring option available.... For the love of god why? Stick with your strengths man!
    Oh, don't worry, there are still unfortunate implications.

I mentioned it before, but it just got funnier after reading the news post (what else is new?)

Quote Originally Posted by NewsPost
    Luna's "no secrets" policy is one I share with my wife. If there's one thing the both of us have learned from previous failed relationships, it's that communication and openness are very important. Even if it's an unpleasant conversation, it's vital to get whatever's bothering you off your chest and out in the open.
    Of course honesty and communication is important, but imagine the following conversation between a married couple:
    Person 1 - *Grumble grumble*, what a horrible day at work...
    Person 2 - Want to talk about it?
    Person 1 - Later, for now I just need a beer.
    Person 2 - NO! We have to talk about it, No secrets!

Does this sound like a healthy relationship?
    I'm pretty sure that's not what Mookie meant, but this is exactly what Luna did.
    Most likely he just wanted to show the main characters have an open and honest relationship, and didn't notice what happens when you try to shove this idea in a timeline of just a few seconds, especially when it's done on a single panel.

21. - Top - End - #861

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm pretty sure that's not what Mookie meant, but this is exactly what Luna did.
    It's worse than "doesn't want to talk about his day". Dom's clearly seen something horrible and needs time to mentally process it, but out of nowhere Luna hits him with the "no secrets" thing like an emotional bully. It's really weird. I guess it's because Mookie doesn't think about the context of his characters; it gives DD this level of robotic weirdness to it like it's been computer generated.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-04 at 08:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Either way, he now only remembers some bits and pieces of those ideas and makes comics out of them, hoping that the scraps of a thousand ideas will somehow amalgamate into some sort of cohesive story if he just smashes them together hard enough.
    The best way to describe Mookie's writing process: Take 100 stories, cut out 99% of each, then stick them all together to get a full story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

It's worse than "doesn't want to talk about his day". Dom's clearly seen something horrible and needs time to mentally process it, but out of nowhere Luna hits him with the "no secrets" thing like an emotional bully. It's really weird. I guess it's because Mookie doesn't think about the context of his characters; it gives DD this level of robotic weirdness to it like it's been computer generated.
    You know what's even better?

Dominic has absolutely never kept secrets from Luna about his Visions

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #864

Most likely he just wanted to show the main characters have an open and honest relationship, and didn't notice what happens when you try to shove this idea in a timeline of just a few seconds, especially when it's done on a single panel.
    You have a point there. Trying to coax vital information out of someone by invoking marital stability is just so... Self-centered? Manipulative? Bizzare? And of course, that doesn't even touch Luna's impatience with him. Like she doesn't know things move at the leisurely pace of Mookie's plotting.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I think that commitment came later. Dunno for sure.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I think that commitment came later. Dunno for sure.
    AFAIK it was mentioned today for the first time

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Sneaky gate.
    Future link.

As dumb as this is, what my brain catches on is "Capitol City." That's it? That's the best he can come up with?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #868

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky
    Future

"Capitol City".
    Edit: haha I know.

Luna continues to be an amazingly awful person.

Edit: One-panel Dominique
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-05 at 01:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

"Capitol City" sounds suspiciously like a city name I made up when I was 14 and couldn't care less about worldbuilding.

Edit: One-panel Dominique
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Great RIP RIP"
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    As dumb as this is, what my brain catches on is "Capitol City." That's it? That's the best he can come up with?
    It was funny on The Simpsons because the writers were deliberately vague about where Springfield is. This is not even pretending to give a ****.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.