New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

Tired and sweaty after the long days journey, Alexis is glad to see the end of this, their first mission.

"I am glad that the traveling for today is done. I could use with a good rest, after that. Shall we enter? And, might I suggest not mentioning the horde of kobolds we may have unleashed?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Prior to entering Town:

A little while into the journey Uriell suggests we take a quick break and grab some sustenance. While he was actually hungry, he had an alternate agenda. He was only a quarter mile or so from the location the painting reminded him of.

"I'll go look for some berries and fruit", he says to the group, not waiting for an answer. Hu follows at his side.

After a few moments, he finds the clearing and shakes his head. "See, I knew there was no entrance here", he says turning to Hu. Taking out the painting he looks around. "Or is there?"

As he approaches what he always assumed was dense foliage he realizes that the forest simply grew over the cave entrance. Smiling that he found it, he chuckled at how the forest certainly has a way of taking back what is rightfully hers.

The cave is not very deep, and with the hole cut in the foliage, Uriell can see everything inside of it, which sadly looks to be nothing but rocks. Walking in further, he sees nothing to offer him a different opinion and proceeds to sit down.

Hu walks up and puts his head on Uriell's knee, the classic tell tale sign that he wants a treat. Smiling Uriell says, "Ok boy, let me get it out of the pack."

As he stands up to remove the pack he notices that the rock shifted unnaturally. Curious he pushes the rock back to reveal a chest with a worn symbol on it. The seal of the Baron if I'm not mistaken, now what could be inside?

Inside the chest, which has sadly decayed, is a pile of rotten rags that were once a fine set of clothing, a rusted steel helm, a rusted set of armor, and a much better wrapped - and therefore preserved - sword. The sword is a masterwork longsword, adorned with gems in the hilt. The armor and helm were probably of equal craftsmanship, but time was a lot less kind to them.

Interesting, Uriell thinks to himself. Perhaps some of this may be of value when we get back to town.

Uriell follows the group into the cathedral, not truly happy to be back in a city, but relieved that everything worked out for the best.

Spoiler
    Show

Uriell will take the armor and sword to the local smiths and historians to get a appraisal on value and restoration. This will determine if he sells it outright, or find out if there is anything "special" about the items.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthony ignores the elf and simply walks into the Cathedral, he wanted to get pain that was it. Once he was given his funds he would rid himself of the elven nag and go back to the estate to resume his duties to his liege lord, hell he may even convince Tulkar to sign on. He would just have to make sure to word it properly, like glorified guard duty with training perks.
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tulkar felt the need to talk to Darius at some point. In one of the next few days, Tulkar catches him in around town in his daily routine, and walks with him for a bit. "Can I ask you something?" Assuming that Darius says that he can, Tulkar asks, "Why would someone like you ever choose the troubled life as a soldier?" The half-orc had been wondering about Darius. To him, Darius seemed extremely well-intentioned, which no soldier had ever struck him as.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius seems faintly amused at the question, a smile playing on his face. "Originally? I thought I could change the world, be the hero and save everybody. I think you know enough of reality to know that's not how things work."

His eyes take on a distant gaze as he remembers his time with the military, "The soldiers life is often misunderstood, even by those who choose it. Our task is not to kill the enemy, it is to protect those we care for."

Darius' wistful gaze is broken as he chuckles to himself, "After all, is that not what Krin teaches us? If we all dealt with one another honestly, there would be no need for conflict. That's not the way of the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth striving to change. By fighting with the army I could help bring a swifter end to conflicts, spare the people the horrors of war." He gives Tulkar a stern look, "All change must start with yourself, your actions define who you are. So long as you act in a manner you see as just, you will live a fulfilling life."

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

6. - Top - End - #426

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis, hearing this, quietly whispers into Tulkar's ear
    "Just because you do the right thing does not mean never having fun. Just be cautious of others. After all, they want to have fun as well."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

7. - Top - End - #427

"I think we both do know that that isn't how things work, but soldiers protecting the people we care about isn't how things work either. You really thought that fighting with the army would end the conflict? If you really wanted to do good, you should have taken protecting the weak upon yourself. It really isn't about living a fulfilling life, Darius. Though the concept is amusing, life is about surviving- never getting too attached, and never looking back."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As you enter the cathedral - still talking amongst each other - you can see the captain, sitting in a pew to the side of the cathedral. A service has just ended, so the seats are emptying as you come in. More than a few of the worshipers take notice of your travel-stained appearance as they leave, but you're not stopped. Thankfully, you'd washed off the blood in Stallman, or the guards probably wouldn't have let you into the city, much less the cathedral.
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

9. - Top - End - #429

GreenSorcererElf

Looking down at herself, Alexis realizes just how dirty she is.
    One way to avoid attention, I suppose, but not a good way, all things considered.

She heads over to the captain
    "Success"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

10. - Top - End - #430

Anthony was watching the weaboo holy ceremony go on, lounged back on one of those really uncomfortable pews with one of his massive legs resting up on the back of the next row. Picking his teeth with a knife, the veteran says his own silent prayer when the bloody thing ended. Waiting for the crowd to disperse he strides boldly up to the front en route to the cripple that sent him away with the rag tag group. Ignoring the elf he begins speaking over her "Job's done, we cleared out the kobold den and killed their leader, the collected funds are with our pack horses."
    Blarg...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Standing off to the side Uriell lets the assembly leave before entering the cathedral. He gives a quick motion to Hu indicating for him to stay outside, and is promptly given a whimper back.

With a slight smirk, he walks in behind the group, toward the captain, and takes a seat in an empty pew, allowing the others to recount the journey and dealings.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Darius leaves his halberd propped up by the entrance to the church, the small bell making a faint ringing as he did so. This wasn't the right place to bear arms in his eyes. He maintained a respectful silence as the congregation ended, allowing the worshipers to pass him by before walking towards the captain. He gave the old soldier a smile and a nod in greeting, content to let the others talk for now.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

13. - Top - End - #433

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis looks Anthony in the eyes
    "Yes, I suppose they are. Perhaps you want to open your pack and show him, horse."
    You can almost see the twinkle in her eye for being given the perfect opportunity for such a taunt.
    Spoiler
    Show

We have no pack horses. Anthony/Darius/people with strength were carrying it
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

14. - Top - End - #434

"My these old churches are certainly breezy, I am almost certain I felt a gust of hot air. You should notify the administrator the sick may catch something because of it, you know all the problems bad air from an inferior being can cause. Like I said the chest and it's contents are in the stables on MY horse, the one I own."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, Anthony owns a horse and would obviously use it since people carrying a chest for several days is impractical. Besides if she wanted to skimp out on carrying it she should get a reduced cut for laziness
    Blarg...

15. - Top - End - #435

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis looks dubious for a moment, before responding
    "If you want to stay in the stables, that is your choice. Personally, I will be staying in either an inn, or a manor."

Spoiler
    Show

I figure they can reveal their plans soon after leaving the room.
    Hopefully, Keylac will post the next bit soon.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

16. - Top - End - #436

"So about splitting said pay, I owe a certain young warrior a drink or ten and it is almost happy hour!" Anthony smiles boldly and gives a thumbs up to the troubled Tulkar, ignoring anything and everything that comes out of the foul elven teetoller's mouth. "Also just for reference the split only includes what we found in the vault, any items discovered on the grounds or scavenged from the corpses of our foes are off limits."
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The captain begins to respond to Alexis, but stops when Anthony speaks up. He listens to the rest of their conversation, with a smile - composed of equal parts amusement at their bickering and relief at their return - spreading across his face. Glancing at the rest of the party, who entered after them, he leans back in the pew.

"I'm happy to hear that you were successful, and that you've all returned safely. And I remember our bargain, my friend." His smile fades a bit, and he rubs the stump of his right arm "The vault. You said you found it, but... how much was in it?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everyone), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

- "Good Omens"

18. - Top - End - #438

GreenSorcererElf

"1200 gold, as well as a ring, some pearls, a nice short sword, and some worthless paintings. Do you want to see?"

If he agrees, Alexis will start pulling the items out of other peoples packs.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Captain Kavaren waves his remaining hand in the air in negation, looking relieved. "I don't know the least bit about valuables I'm afraid. The only merchants I ever dealt with were provisioners for the army." He pauses for a moment, thinking and looking around. "Ah, here's what we need. Excuse me a moment." With that, he rises from his pew and strides over to one of the supplicants who hasn't left yet. A few moments of conversation and they both walk back to the party.

"My friends, this is Denes Oddson; he runs a curio shop down near the docks district. He's offered to appraise what you found on your journey, in exchange for being given the first option to buy anything interesting. Is that acceptable for you?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just pop a list of what you found that you want appraised (including non-vault loot) into the OOC and he'll do that.
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

20. - Top - End - #440

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis shruggs, and starts pulling numerous small, valuable items from her pack, as well as gesturing to the others, indicating that they should produce some of the loot from their packs as well

"There is no certainty that we will sell all of this, but having it valued should prove to be very useful. Thank you."

She pulls out a heavy bag of gold(600)
    "Captain, your share, I believe. I hope it will be enough to regenerate you, if that is what you wish."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

21. - Top - End - #441

Anthony goes back over to a pew and resumes lounging, he doesn't care about the official proceedings he only wants to get paid.
    Blarg...

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Knowing little of treasure and worth outside of fine tailored clothing, Uriell left it up to his other party members to do what's right and get a fair value on the vault items.

But he did make notice of Denes, and will be sure to seek him out at a later time for information and value on the items he found in the cave. For as much as Uriell knows, it could be an heirloom, or simply just plain metal used to make war.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

23. - Top - End - #443

Tulkar stands near Anthony, hanging around and waiting either for something to happen or the situation to be over. "I'll take you up on that drink. It seems right to celebrate, we did just finish our mission, after all."

24. - Top - End - #444

GreenSorcererElf

Somehow, I don't see this ending well, but if I don't, I suspect Anthony will turn Tulkar into a copy of himself, and that would be such a waste of potential.

Sighing, Alexis turns to Tulkar
    "I suppose I will join you as well, assuming you have no objection, of course."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

25. - Top - End - #445

Tulkar looks uncomfortable. It isn't that he doesn't want Alexis to come, but that he was concerned that it would be problematic to Anthony. "I, er- well..." Tulkar shifts on his other foot awkwardly, reflecting the her question put him in. Giving to the pressure, "just ask Anthony."

26. - Top - End - #446

GreenSorcererElf

"He seems to be ignoring me at the moment, therefore he does not object. Besides, I asked you, not him. What do you want?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Denes takes the items over to a table by the wall, and starts looking them over, jotting down notes on a handy piece of parchment. At one point, he reaches into his pouch and pulls out an eyepiece, carefully inspecting each item with it. After a couple of minutes, he returns to the pew with his notes.

"Well my good fellows, and madame, you certainly have an interesting set of items here. Let's see..." He proceeds to list of rough values for each item, though he points out that, on average, you can only expect about half that much from any given merchant. The gems and the gold bracelets are the exception, being units of value themselves.

Values
    Spoiler
    Show
    Short Sword: Magical, Unidentified, ~2,300
    Silver Ring: Magical, Unidentified, at least 1,000
    Pearls: 6 Freshwater Pearls, 10 each, one Silver Pearl, 100
    Rusted Chain: Worthless
    Gyrax's Battleaxe: Magical, Unidentified, ~2,300
    Throwing Axes: 8 each
    Heavy Shield: 7
    Fine Scimitar: Masterwork, ~300
    Small Gems: Assortment, worth 10 each
    Potions: No ability to identify, no idea
    Oil of Magic Weapon: 250
    Divine Scroll: 100, notes you can probably sell it here in the temple, but also notes he doesn't read enough Dwarven to tell what it says
    Bracelets: 100 gold each, but you'll need to find a goldsmith to sell them

"I'd be willing to purchase the shield, gems, and pearls from you now, if you'd like. I always see a good trade in small gem, and the shield... Well, it's macabre decoration is sure to bring in at least some interest. What would you say to 215 crowns for the lot?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alexis, you do realize you agreed to give him half of the vaults contents, (or at least, half the value) not just half the gold, right? If you got to keep it all, you'd be just a bit over Wealth By Level
    Spoiler
    Show

- "Good Omens"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Upon hearing the tallied amount and what the man was offering, Uriell attention was turned to the group. His share of the loot would surely be sufficient to help his parents through the coming seasons, after which time, hopefully the city would be out of this low point of poverty.

Maintaining his calm demeanor, he waited to see if anyone more knowledgeable in the arts of trade objected before he attempted to collect his share.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

29. - Top - End - #449

Anthony winks at Tulkar "Aye, celebration is indeed standard protocol I will take you to the Busty Barmaid later and anyone is invited to attend if they actually want to celebrate but those who feel it necessary to mother may not wish to join since the regulars don't like teetollers. Though before we go, I would like to take ye to the training grounds of me Lord, I needta report to him anyway and I would like to offer you something of the way training. Besides that tight purse lecher owes me a favor or two, what do you say?"
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #450

GreenSorcererElf

"215 for the shield, the 2 gems, and the 7 pearls? Done. Now, as for the captain."
    Alexis presents the sword to the captain
    "This, in addition to the gold, should more than pay you for the information, and the key."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings