New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kingdom of Arim I (IC)

Petil bid his time still. He could understand the man had some kind of offer for the group, one initially faced with suspicion. "This is bad." he thought. "If this man incites suspicion in them, I'll have to overcome it as well." But as the group seemed to unbend, so did his worries. Apparently their suspicion was sated. Still, two requests at the same table would be too much. He'd wait for them to get out, then approach them as if from elsewhere. Unless the circumstances changed, of course.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-23 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

2. - Top - End - #512
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Arthur undid the leather strap of his halberds swing and set it against the table, with the blade on the ground, and then took the seat offered to him. He thought for a moment about what he had heard. This group figured prominently in a lot of rumors, which had led him here, but there were a few he had heard before that. "I've heard a few things. Brigands the city won't be able to deal with just yet, some missing boats, and a monastery that has not been heard from of late. Usually I am inclined to aid churches when I can but the other issues may be just as pressing, if not more so."

He looks to the others curiously, "I'm sure you've heard of other leads as well, but one of those three would be where my vote went too, if I have one yet." Arthur chuckles a little and leans back into his chair, making it creak just a little between the weight of his armor and his own size. He wasn't exactly a giant even for a human but he was very solid. Such was the perks of being a farmer and having military training he supposed. "If the group decides there is another rumor or threat that sounds more pressing or credible however I'll go along with it."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Waving the waitress over for Arthur, Alexis leans back, before introducing an additional job, here, within the city

"The is a request from the guard to investigate some criminal activity in the city, which could well prove to be interesting, and it requires less walking. Are you interested in such a job?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

4. - Top - End - #514
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

"I had only just arrived in the city so I hadn't heard any rumors like that. Though I have no doubt dealing with criminals in a larger city like this will be more difficult then the typical thieves on the road or in small towns that I've dealt with, I agree." He looks at the door, albeit briefly, before politely ordering a simple bread and cheese meal with some water from the waiter that had been waved over. "Do you know what kind of criminal activity the city is dealing with? Thieves, drug dealers, or maybe something darker?"

It doesn't take long for Arthurs simple meal to arrive. He eats the meal with a gusto and the only real surprise with how fast it disappears from before him is how clean he manages to keep himself. When he finishes, he starts to sip on his water as he looks at the others at the table, "This group was larger earlier, was it not? Even with my joining, it seems we are still a few hands short. Do you plan on recruiting more before we set out?"

5. - Top - End - #515

GreenSorcererElf

"Sadly, we don't know much about the guard's mission, beyond that there is one, and who to talk about. It is, however, unlikely to be a direct attack, however, so I expect that infiltration will be needed. Either way, we will need to learn more."

Alexis is surprised to see how fast Arthur's meal vanishes, and at how much he orders. Then again, he is much larger than she, and human as well.

"The group was larger, however, between the four of us, we have the essentials covered. If a couple more want to join, and if they seem to have useful skills, then they can find us, at least, for now. Are we ready to begin?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

6. - Top - End - #516
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Arthur simply gives his assent with a nod, accepting the woman's leadership without question, even if it was in question for everyone else. In fact, he was already standing and strapping on his halberd again. For Arthur, only one important detail was left to be discovered. It, in and of itself, was rather telling of how simple a person Arthur really was, despite all that had happened to him. Not stupid, just uncaring of the complexities many heaped onto their way of lives. With a simple, slightly amused smile, Arthur asks his question just as his halberd is finished being strapped once more onto his back. "As we're walking to our destination, would one or all of you be so kind as to share your names?"

7. - Top - End - #517

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing Arthur accept her role, Alexis seems a bit happier, as there are but 2 more to convince. As everyone stands up, she does as well, picking up her longbow from its post against the wall, before heading out, leading the others to the guard captain.

As the party walks through the ill maintained streets, Alexis deftly stepping around the various questionable substances in the street, she introduces herself.
    "You may call me Alexis."

Spoiler
    Show

I looked, and Arthur never introduced himself.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2013-05-26 at 10:32 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, wait for me!

The group he was after soon took on their way. Although abruptly, Petil had seen seen to it that he'd have nothing to delay him. He took off after the group, shadowing them through the streets. He'd removed his hood since leaving the tavern, so he'd be unlikely for them to recognise him. As soon as he'd see a lapse in their conversation, he's introduce himself.
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

9. - Top - End - #519
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

"Sure, I know the elf you're speaking of. As a matter of fact, she left with her, uh, friends no more than five minutes ago."

The tavern keeper had seemed certain, so there was little reason for Holken to doubt his words. A waitress who had overheard some of the group's discussion had mentioned something about the guard, so that was his best guess to where they could be found. "Say hi to the big man with the appetite from me" she giggled when Holken left the tavern.

Fortunately, Holken knew this part of the city, so he had no problems finding his way to where they might be heading. It did not take long until he saw a group that might fit the description. At least he could spot a tower of a man, carrying a halberd, who fit the waitress' description.

I hope that's the group. By the looks of it, it should be, and who knows when they plan on leaving the city. I can't really afford to lose them now.

Picking up his pace, Holken set out towards the party in the hopes that the elf he was looking for indeed was a part of said group.
    "Cake or death?"

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Petil noticed a human headed strait for the group. Although he didn't seem ill-intentioned, if he meant the group harm, intercepting him would be his best shot at getting on their good side. Or he, too, has an offer to make. Isn't fame an annoying matter? In that case, he should beat him to it. He made a beeline for him.

Hey! I believe you too have some business with the Fireclaw Slayers?

He said this as he approached him from behind, touching his solder to draw his attention. With a swift movement, he was between the man and the group, without ceasing to move towards the later. He wouldn't risk losing them, but this man would reach them along with him, if at all.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-25 at 04:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The elf had appeared as from nowhere, and had slightly startled Holken. He had not been prepared for anyone to know of his business. Not that it was a secret, as such, it was just that he didn't believe anybody else might be interested. Maybe Boros had sent him, too?

Probably not. Holken concluded. He would have mentioned something earlier, and I know he's not too keen on being on any end of surprises or sudden changes

Perhaps the elf in front of him had simply confused Holken for someone else.

"I, uh... the Fireclaw Slayers? I'm not exactly sure who you are referring to, if I'm to be honest. Are you talking about that elf and her companions?"

Holken kept walking, not wanting to lose the group out of sight.
    "Cake or death?"

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. Rather strange, that you'd not have heard of their exploits.

Petil had now turned around and was walking by the human's side. His surprise was evident, but implied good intentions. He didn't use an inquisitive tone, although he grimaced mentally at his choice of words. Be more careful, damn.

Well, you might have heard of them as Slayers of the Claw or something along those lines. Three of these fine adventurers are the ones who culled the kobolds and their bugbear master over at an old estate's ruins. And they seem to be heads short, so I was hoping they're recruiting. May you have business with them, as well?

13. - Top - End - #523
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Uriell followed the group through the streets, he seemed unsettled. Despite this being his hometown, he never really enjoyed the businesses of the town or the dull human built structures that lined their ways.

Looking down at Hû he could see that he too was visibly irritated by being in this town. Reaching into his belt pouch, Uriell grabbed a nice piece of jerky and tossed it to his companion, who snagged it out of the air before most could notice it was heading towards him.

"We'll head back to the forest soon enough boy", he spoke softly. Scratching him behind the ear, Uriell took that brief moment to survey his surroundings and the people around.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

14. - Top - End - #524
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Arthur, never the most observant man, only seems to notice the presence large dog following one of the group after the creature is addressed. With a nod to Alexis the man drops back a few feet to walk by the dogs apparent companion. He makes sure not to get to close to the animal, showing knowledge, if not experience, when it comes to dealing with one. "That's an interesting companion you have there sir..."

Arthur would wait a moment, giving the chance for Uriell to give his name. Anyone watching could see that Arthur was somewhat distracted as he walked through the streets. He had never been to such a large city, having been a simple farmer who traded in a small town near his land once and a soldier out in the field the rest of the time. The large crowd made him uneasy, especially since he had the urge to see all of them and knew that probably wouldn't be safe for his sanity. The large buildings warranted a much more happy reaction from him, often drawing his eye appreciatively.
    Last edited by Kelamor; 2013-05-29 at 01:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the armored man approached Uriell, he could sense Hû begin to tense but gave him a reassuring pat.

If Alexis and Tulkar trust the man, I might as well be polite at the very least., he thought to himself.

As Arthur addressed him, he responded, "This is my friend Hû. That means dog in Elven if you aren't familiar with their language. He is a great hunter and fairly ferocious fighter," and as Uriell turned his attention back to the dog, "but can be as friendly as a kitten when he wants to be." And as he finished his sentence, Hu whined as if he knew he was being made fun of.

Turning back to Arthur, "I go by Uriell," he says as he sticks his hand out for true introductory handshake.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    IC solution to OOC problem incoming.

Noticing two of the group's bipedal members and the hound left behind a little, Petil felt an urge to get his worries over with. He was usually calculating, but in combat he ran on impulse, and that had kept him alive. He trusted his instinct.

No longer waiting for the answer he had just asked for, he made a short sprint for the team's rearguard. Still, he kept an eye out for his probable new ally.

"Greetings!" he said in a friendly, almost cheerful manner. It was loud enough to have been heard by the whole group, not only the ones right in front of him, unless if someone was preoccupied.

"I believe you are the the stuff of recent rumors, the Bane of the Clawed Fist! It took me a while to find you... and not just me, I suspect." He said the last part somewhat quieter, hoping at least the human behind him wouldn't hear. He was jumping to conclusions, after all.

17. - Top - End - #527

GreenSorcererElf

As she hears running behind her, Alexis turns, in time to see the fellow from the tavern approaching the group. As she readies her magic, he starts talking, not fighting.
    Has everyone heard of us? That is going to be an issue, I suspect. Useful for recruitment, I suppose.

Alexis heads towards the fellow, figuring that information is always appreciated.

"Why would you be looking for a group of adventurers?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Petil turned to see the speaker, the female elf. And a Grey Elf, no doubt. Haven't met many, they're few even for elves.

She looked somewhat alarmed or troubled, Petil couldn't figure which. No surprise there, though.

"Well, after a war's worth of lurking near a battlefront, plus some dozen months of travel, the hunter's life no longer sits well with me, sadly. Plus, this duchy's history always intrigued me, but has proved to be the kind found in ruins, not libraries. So... is there room aboard for an extra sword arm?"

Petil found the excuses flowing on their own, and he liked them. He was perfectly honest, yet was hiding his agenda. There was the reason he held faith to his spontaneous.

"Besides, who wouldn't want to meet the stuff of tales, let alone the newest ones? Name's Petil!" he said with a light, near-mischievous bow.

19. - Top - End - #529

GreenSorcererElf

He seems honest enough, but for a battlefield stalker to be so... is unlikely. Still, he might be genuine, and if not, he can still be helpful.
    "There may be room for another sword arm, yes, depending on your skills. You are a hunter? I trust you are able to evade sight, track others then?"

At his bow, Alexis nods to him, and gives her name
    "I am known as Alexis. Nice to meet you, Petil. Are you going to cause any trouble with the guard?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

At the description of a typical hunter's toolkit, Petil feels nervous, almost blushing.

"You misunderstood me. My experience in war has been little more than closely avoiding it, and the thirst for a thrill left in me is not enough to have me get in trouble for the sake of it. And truth is, I was never good with the bow nor with stalking. I always relied on traps to catch my prey, and reasoning to understand its obvious pathways. But I can use the blade in more than one ways, most of which I had to figure on the fly, and I have both the endurance to take a beating and the wits to keep it far from me."

Though, i don't terribly trust authorities, Petil added to himself.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-30 at 02:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531

GreenSorcererElf

"So... you are not a hunter, but a swordsman, and a trapper. An odd set of skills that, however, another sword could be useful, assuming the others agree."

So, he lurked near the battlefields, but he sought to avoid them. Somehow, I don't think his skills are what he says they are. He seems more like a thief than a hunter. Still, he could come in handy.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

"Odd indeed, for I didn't earn them at the same time. Ever since I found a sword in my hands, my traps caught more hunters than they caught prey."

Hunters indeed. I was not the prey of choice for most, but their prey hardly could flee. And i doubt the others will mind, she seems to be both the brains and the suspicion of this odd team.

Petil has now partly turned his attention to the others, especially the pair closer to him. The half-orc that walked along with Alexis seemed rather well-meaning and satisfied, as much as that can be seen in a half-orc's face. In other words, he didn't seem notably angry, but Petil had met the few half-orcs you need to see happy to know the difference.

As for the iron-clad human that met the group in the tavern, he seemed wide-eyed with the city. He seemed trustworthy. The two companions by the man's side seemed on edge, but he had a feeling they'd been so for a while. No wolf likes walls and cobblestone, i guess.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Holken was slightly puzzled by the elf and his motives. Apparently he sought the same group that Holken did, but he seemed to know much more about them.

I guess they're famous. Or at least famous in certain circles.

The elf's sudden sprint towards the group also perplexed Holken to some degree, but it wasn't like he had never had to deal with impatient people before. In fact, some people tended to get even more impatient when dealing with Holken, for some reason.

Picking up his pace, he soon draw closer to the elf and the group he had called "Slayers of.."... something. The elf was there, and she definitely fit the description that Boros had given.

]I guess that must be her. Might as well ask and get it over with.

Walking up to the group, Holken tried to interrupt as politely as possible.

"Uhm, excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but you wouldn't by any chance be the one they call Alexis, would you?"
    "Cake or death?"

24. - Top - End - #534

GreenSorcererElf

Did we put out a sign or something? This many people looking for us... seems rather... odd.

As another individual runs up, Alexis's mind starts considering ways to retreat swiftly, should the need arrive.

She also turns to face the pair of newcomers, and looks directly at Holken, not that she knows his name.

"Now, that depends. Who are you, and why are you looking for her?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

25. - Top - End - #535
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Uh, this seems a lot more complicated that I initially thought... Might as well play my hand and hope for the best...

Holken takes a deep breath, and tries to answer the elf as coherently as he can.

"I, uh.. You don't know me, but my name is Holken Aminoff. I am.. or rather, should I say, was apprenticed to a dwarven smith and merchant up until recently. He's called Boros, and I believe you conducted some trade with him recently."

Holken waits for a second to see if the elf reacts to the name, and then continues.

"I gave up my apprenticeship at his smithy because of some of my recently discovered, eh... gifts. We both knew I couldn't both learn the ways of the blacksmith and how to control these gifts at the same time, so I chose the latter. The reason I'm looking for you - or at least I think and hope it is you - is because Boros advised me to seek out others who know more about the world, and maybe give my assistance wherever I can. He's a good man, but he doesn't have the understanding and capability to help me personally with my new-found powers. He told me you had done good things, and that maybe I could convince you to let me travel with you, and maybe learn more about myself while doing so."

Holken pauses, and tries to read the elf's reactions. A bit nervously, he adds:

"So, uh, that's more or less it, and... you are Alexis, right?"
    "Cake or death?"

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Puzzled by the sudden onslaught of newcomers and their questions, Uriell breathed a sigh of relief when they were all directed at Alexis.

But he was still a bit on edge and while attention was focused elsewhere, he edged back towards the wall of the building. Leaning against it, he tried to make it look like he was just taking a relaxing lean, but he had already grabbed an iron shot in his hand, ready to load his sling and fire if things went awry.

Hu's eyes focused on the newcomers as well, as if he could sense the wariness in his companion, and for those trained in knowing animal behavior, you could see he was tensing his muscles, ready to pounce at first command.

In a whisper, "Easy boy, let's see what they want."
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

27. - Top - End - #537

GreenSorcererElf

As the boy tells her of his past, Alexis listens attentively, despite being a little confused, as he has not really given her anything to go on. Still, she quirks an eyebrow, and asks the obvious question, wondering how he would answer. As to her identity, she makes no response.

"New found powers?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

28. - Top - End - #538
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Arthur was just taking the mans hand to shake it and was about to say more in response to the mans introduction when not one but two more people arrived, asking after the group. Though a new member himself, Arthur was the least surprised about the idea of more people searching to join the group of successful adventurers. He had met enough of the boys, for the draft had taken more then just able bodied men, who were interested in adventuring and thought a war would be the best place for it. There would always be people who had a thirst for that kind of life and with all the rumors abound about this particular group it was only natural to attract so many. That it was all happening on the same day, just when the group was about to start on their next task, Arthur merely attributed to the work of his or some other god. The good ones, especially his, tended to arrange for the most coincidental of things to happen when they needed or wanted something.

Still, Arthur was new to the group, so rather then interrupt the young man took a step back and let Alexis handle things. She might not be the leader in truth yet, but if these two did join up, and with Arthur already acceding to her authority, she probably would be by days end. Most thought leaders had to be brilliant and charismatic to lead. Arthur knew it was as much luck and the choices of others that could choose a leader. In this case, Alexis was the first to speak up and the first to address concerns while the rest of the group hung back. Maybe they were uncomfortable with dealing with new comers, but that could mean all the difference in the world.

So instead of interrupting Arthur followed Uriells lead and moved to stand near him and his companion, though still giving Hu a wide berth. "I speak a bit of Elvish. I'd often trade with those that past through my farm or trade with their druids for aid with my crops in the more difficult seasons." He spoke in elvish this time rather then common. It was heavily accented, obviously born on the lips of a human, but surprisingly well spoken otherwise with no misused words and few if any mispronunciations.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe this was a mistake...

"What I'm saying is... I seem to have a gift for certain magics. I can control certain powers. Now, I'm no legendary sorcerer or miracle worker, but I seem to have a certain knack for it. Either way, Boros thought... No, I think I could be useful to your group... if you let me travel with you, that is. I think I could help you do good things. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, and I'd like to think I can take care of myself. All I'm asking is the chance to adventure with you, and see more of the world, and maybe in turn I can turn out to be of some use. If it comes to fighting, I have my crossbow and I can work my powers from a distance. That is, if you really are who I think you are..."

Holken lets the sentence trail off, with a hopeful look on his face.
    "Cake or death?"

30. - Top - End - #540

GreenSorcererElf

Alexis seems a bit surprised that Arthur speaks Elvish, but, being polite, she compliments him on learning a true language.
    In Elvish, the lyrical words an intonations flowing easily from her tongue.
    "Well spoken, Arthur. I was not expecting you to know the tongue. I would almost say that you have had training."

In Common, to Holken
    "So you are a sorcerer then. Why not just introduce yourself as such? In any event, your magic could prove to be quite helpful, as mine, well, mine is a more subtle art. Pleased to meet you, Holken. I am indeed Alexis. Now, shall we see if we can't find that guard captain?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings